Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

171 reg cars.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Well why did they start only after 2012? That's what I was told and it adds up when that's when they started.

Why didn't they revert back to 14-x if that was the case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

With cheap, high quality printers it would be easy for anyone to print a vinyl sticker anyway in order to produce a fake number. Limiting who can make plates is futile.

You must not understand!

In the UK they have authorized agents that must put their postcode/name on the registration plate. During a Police check/stop it's quite evident whether it's a false plate or not by searching the database.

It certainly is not fool proof but it has proven to substantially reduce the amount of forged number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Dia1988 wrote: »
    You must not understand!

In the UK they have authorized agents that must put their postcode/name on the registration plate. During a Police check/stop it's quite evident whether it's a false plate or not by searching the database.

It certainly is not fool proof but it has proven to substantially reduce the amount of forged number plates.

I doubt they have asked every owner of every vehicle to swap out their number plates to be compliant with this requirement. In fact I cannot see anything on the UK government website about the need to have anything other than the registration displayed. It does call out that optionally you can buy tamper proof number plates:

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/number-plates-FAQ/car-registrations-info/car-registrations-legalities.asp

Also there's nothing stopping a UK resident from ordering number plates on the internet from our very own Eireplates website, or one of the many other online number plate suppliers.

I doubt they have asked every owner of every vehicle to swap out their number plates to be compliant with this requirement. In fact I cannot see anything on the UK government website about the need to have anything other than the registration displayed. It does call out that optionally you can buy tamper proof number plates:

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates

Also there's nothing stopping a UK resident from ordering number plates on the internet from our very own Eireplates website, or one of the many other online number plate suppliers.

This has been in operation since at least 15 years.

Perhaps you need to search google more or better still look at the next couple of UK reg cars whereby they will all have either the postcode or name of the issuer on them.

And as well you know Eireplates will state that those number plates are for decorative purposes only. Sure, I can buy UK plates on Ebay without the agent markers but I will be stopped by the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

Can someone explain why we still have 1 at the end of the reg? I believe in 2013 it was because car dealers were concerned people wouldn't want a car "13" but I could be wrong. It seems stupid. It's 2017, not 20171

I am quite superstitious and I wouldn't buy a 131 or 132 car!

Fair play to that chap and his 171. Whatever floats your boat. As mentioned earlier he could have all his money drank instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Dia1988 wrote: »
    This has been in operation since at least 15 years.

Perhaps you need to search google more or better still look at the next couple of UK reg cars whereby they will all have either the postcode or name of the issuer on them.

And as well you know Eireplates will state that those number plates are for decorative purposes only. Sure, I can buy UK plates on Ebay without the agent markers but I will be stopped by the police.

My last post on this item, I found some information calling out the need for manufacturers to display the supplier/manufacturer but I could not find any information in relation to any penalty for the motorist for not displaying the mark. Penalties seem to be focused on font, sizing, spacing, screw placement for the actual number.

I found this post which points to linked documents to say that it is not mandatory for the supplier/manufacturer to be identified on the plates:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=877137

It will still pass MOT test.

I also found something where even the DVLA are powerless to stop UK show plate suppliers from making plates.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/illegal_number_plate_suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Can someone explain why we still have 1 at the end of the reg? I believe in 2013 it was because car dealers were concerned people wouldn't want a car "13" but I could be wrong. It seems stupid. It's 2017, not 20171

I think another reason, apart from the superstition angle, is that issues under the previous system were beginning to run into very early vintage registration issues (I remember seeing a Model T Ford with 16-D-1 in the early nineties, for example). This problem was only going to get worse the closer we get to the bulk of imported or re-registered classics.

Despite its drawbacks, the new format does ensure that we don't need to change our registration system until 2113 or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Sitec wrote: »
    If I had the money to change to a new car every year I would. More power to the man. Not everyone wants/needs an RS.

Can any mathematician work out what he's losing in depreciation a year?

My wife works for Ford Ireland and is entitled to a 17% discount which extends to family members on new cars. So in theory this guy could have a relative there and be able to change every January for very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Does he get a 172 reg mid year as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Veloce wrote: »
    Does he get a 172 reg mid year as well?

No. That would be stupid.

:pac:

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's all done on ROS.

You can even load up the cars details in December and pull the trigger on your phone on the way home from the pub after New Year's Eve.

Er, how does Joe Soap manage that?

My wife's new car is waiting in Ireland for a number of weeks. Obviously need to wait until the new year, but still waiting to get the call from the garage. Probably Wednesday before we can pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I mean the person working in the dealer can do this for the customer.
    The handover for a car can take up to an hour so there's only so many cars they can get out in a day. Also they want to get money into the garage rather than just spend a load of money on VRT so it doesn't make sense to register all cars on the 1st Jan.
    You could also have a queue of cars that came in Christmas week that need to be cleaned and PDId before they can be let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Er, how does Joe Soap manage that?

My wife's new car is waiting in Ireland for a number of weeks. Obviously need to wait until the new year, but still waiting to get the call from the garage. Probably Wednesday before we can pick up.

Joe soap can't do it- they must do it for him in the garage

anewme wrote: »
    Joe soap can't do it- they must do it for him in the garage

Ah, presumably they do it for him as he buys a new car every year.

Who's STOOPID now, eh, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Rackstar wrote: »
    He has had the cheap tax for 8 years. What he's after is a brand new car every year, not a 8/9 year old Lexus. That's what he wants and that's what he gets. Fair play to him.

Of course fair play to him, all I am saying is personally new cars are a waste of money.

I bought a nearly new 320D well spec'd with a full 2 year warranty for a lot less than the new asking price, therefore why fork out the new price just to have it depreciate like there is no tomorrow and for someone then to pick it up a lot cheaper.

I couldn't car less what the number on the reg is, if I like it then I'll buy it. However ireland and the world are fixated on the year of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah, presumably they do it for him as he buys a new car every year.

Who's STOOPID now, eh, eh!

He was s their best customer!

He probably has his order in for next year already.

More power to him I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭TanFlash

Shannon757 wrote:
    I'm just guessing

Shannon757 wrote:
    So they can sell more cars in July with the 172 etc

Main reason is to even out the regs during the year, so the start of the year isn't front loaded.

I bought a nearly new 320D well spec'd with a full 2 year warranty for a lot less than the new asking price,

Would you buy your underwear second hand?

No, you wouldn't because you don't have to. Same with this dude, he simply prefers to buy new underwear and new cars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of good old Irish begrudgery.

The man could be doing worse like sticking it in his arm or pissing it against the wall of his local.

Yeah i don't get this. Anytime i now order a car i rarely tell some of my friends. I used to be excited when getting a new car but now more a nervous feeling.. Is it because of the boom/bust irish people have become like this?

Some of my friends have said " Why did you order one of those they are a piece of s**T, nothing but trouble blah blah" despite they never owned the model or know anything about the car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Plate surrounds debate moved here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057688005#
    Lets try keep this thread for 171 spotting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Jomcc wrote: »
    January 1st. Some things never change... Well not much. It's blue this year.

Happy New year.

For all we know his children / grandchildren might own the garage and give the USE of the Focus free to him/her every year

or maybe the driver was/is an original partner or owner of the garage and this is part of their payoff/ retirement fund /dividend.

Or maybe they just buy a new car every year , but the LS -1 reg would lead me to believe some historical connection to the supplying garage or local motor trade.

Bigus wrote: »

Or maybe they just buy a new car every year , but the LS -1 reg would lead me to believe some historical connection to the supplying garage or local motor trade.

That and he already has the car, so they opened up just for him? I presume most new cars aren't available until tomorrow at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

That and he already has the car, so they opened up just for him? I presume most new cars aren't available until tomorrow at the earliest.

Absolutely yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Bigus wrote: »

I wonder who's paying the €1000 for the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gets start at 1 now rather than 200.
    1 is just the first car regged.

you can book the number 1 in advance and pay the €1000 alright but this guy is just first in and there aren't that many main dealers in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Just looked up the garages facebook page as curiosity killed me, ya man must get them to open up on new years day! I can sleep tonight knowing there is more fanatical people out there than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have Volvo supplied the Dublin Lord Mayor again with another S80?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

My wife works for Ford Ireland and is entitled to a 17% discount which extends to family members on new cars. So in theory this guy could have a relative there and be able to change every January for very little.

Thats interesting, I used to work with a different manufacturer and our scheme was far less generous, was heavily reliant on ringing a few dealers at the end of the month and putting the gun to the head!

Today will be the first big day of regs for 171, also the first proper sign of how Brexit has affected the industry for new cars anyhow....what is the word on the street, is order books up on last year or flat? My guess is there will be zero growth in 2017 but I've been away from the industry for a couple of months now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The main thing we should take from this is the fact that the dealer stuck on the reg plates! No dirty screw heads to be seen. Noticed a good few dealers doing similar recently.

• Advertisement

He must be delighted he got LS1 this year as seemingly in the last 2 years he missed out

161ls2
    151ls4....Someone definitely got fired that year!

Advertisement