Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

171 reg cars.

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That makes no sense - there is nothing in the Tiguan range that is similar to the Golf R. The Golf is a brand icon for VW so there is no chance they will drop the name any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭goochy

if the new 5 series is a great success , then why has 172 not taken off and why are they offering great deals like the trade in one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

AMKC wrote: »
    I see the VW Tiguan is outselling the Golf in Europe and they are saying that if it stays like that then the current Golf type R might be the last one.

A family car outseling hatchback, lets bin super hothatch!

That really pisses me off with car manufacturers. They only look at one model that sells, but completely ignore other market segments. Yes, money is smaller and less sales, but a person who is looking for golf R is not looking for suv. A sale is still a sale.

I bought brand new car, not because I wanted a brand new car, I bought it as it was what I wanted and there is feck all choice in second hand market and very slim pickings in new car market.
    I wanted small hothatch, but if there would be non for offer I would not just go and buy a damn crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Actually the 5 has been a huge success.
    So much so bmw are taking away current offers at the end of the month. At the moment if you trade in a non bmw you get a 4000 euro discount. This is being stopped end of June and the base price is going up 1100 euro.
    Effectively it's over 5k price hike for 172 ,hence they are concentrating on getting them sold now.

Really? Only 70 units ahead of E Class who they'd normally blitz. Offering 4k off the car new from launch - when has a new 5er ever needed that? Ive been hearing orderbanks arent great. Only 20% up on last year while Merc is 130% up all while been offered with a 4k discount.

Launching it with a €3000 price increase over the last one mightn't have been overly clever on reflection. I would think the offers are being removed as its costing them a fcuking fortune. 4000e x 1227 = almost 5 million euro for a country the size of ireland that is bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭carsfan2

goochy wrote: »
    if the new 5 series is a great success , then why has 172 not taken off and why are they offering great deals like the trade in one ?

Part of the reason it has been a success is because they have offered the deals up to now and it is a good car.
    The guy I spoke to said bmw Ireland felt there was no need for price support for it in the second half of the year, a decision he feels is wrong and reckons sales will fall off hugely as a result.
    Basically bmw Ireland have been able to sell all the cars they could get from bmw so far as demand is high worldwide apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RedorDead wrote: »
    Really? Only 70 units ahead of E Class who they'd normally blitz. Offering 4k off the car new from launch - when has a new 5er ever needed that? Ive been hearing orderbanks arent great. Only 20% up on last year while Merc is 130% up all while been offered with a 4k discount.

Launching it with a ?3000 price increase over the last one mightn't have been overly clever on reflection. I would think the offers are being removed as its costing them a fcuking fortune. 4000e x 1227 = almost 5 million euro for a country the size of ireland that is bonkers!

Any idea what those figures equate to in actual terms of units sold? I mean Merc could have sold 1000 E Classes last year so selling 130% more this year is bound to be an improvement but doesn't necessarily mean it's a sales success.

On a separate note, I spotted a 171 L xxx G30 530i yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

RedorDead wrote: »
    I would think the offers are being removed as its costing them a fcuking fortune. 4000e x 1227 = almost 5 million euro for a country the size of ireland that is bonkers!

I can guarantee that the manufacturer never(*) sells a car for less than the production cost. They might be loosing money because of overheads - but the more they sell, the more revenue they have to cover those overheads.

They don't make money on a car they don't sell.

(*) There are a few exceptions from that rule, with a very niche cars. For instance Toyota is losing money with every Mirai sold. In BMW context that COULD be i8, but I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Was the 171 L 530i bluestone m sport?
    If so, a neighbour of mine. Couldn't believe it when I saw wasn't your usual 520d. Lovely car.

Re the 5 being a success or not? I can only speak from recent experience of cross shopping one with a merc e class with my old man.
    All merc and bmw dealers reported things steady but not at all great and that since the initial flurry in January merc were quiet. The bmw dealers said they only got busy when the new 5 started arriving in numbers but things had slowed again but 5 was their best performer.
    At the same time getting stock to avail of the money off offers was a problem for picking colours spec etc and all that could be got was what they had in stock or was on a boat coming.
    In the end he went with 520d which is nice car but the new e is also super and a huge advance on the old one so it's no surprise that coupled with price reduction its selling strongly.

the 5 looks too small - not as good as previous model and looks terrible with standard wheels.
    Believe the i3 has not been a success for BMW worldwide , probably mix of price and people being wary.
    Believe the i8 doesn't know hold its value well either.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Any idea what those figures equate to in actual terms of units sold? I mean Merc could have sold 1000 E Classes last year so selling 130% more this year is bound to be an improvement but doesn't necessarily mean it's a sales success.

On a separate note, I spotted a 171 L xxx G30 530i yesterday.

5 Series on 1227 year to date and E Class on 1157. I have no doubt that they will whallop MB in July again though.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    I can guarantee that the manufacturer never(*) sells a car for less than the production cost. They might be loosing money because of overheads - but the more they sell, the more revenue they have to cover those overheads.

They don't make money on a car they don't sell.

(*) There are a few exceptions from that rule, with a very niche cars. For instance Toyota is losing money with every Mirai sold. In BMW context that COULD be i8, but I really don't know.

I agree and you are right but i would have thought that the new introduction of your biggest selling model and the first big change in 7 years which has been eagerly anticipated that it should really be a profit driver - not a profit sapper. They should be creaming it with this car instead of propping every deal up with 4000 support but then again MB fcuked everything up with their 10% price cut across the board late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've seen a single, solitary new 5 series so far.

It seemed the F10 just flooded the roads as soon as it was released. Understandably, as it was a fantastic cohesive design after the divisive Bangle years. It must be a dose to have to follow up something as successful as that. They haven't succeeded imo, the new model has gained the awkwardness of the 7 series - which I think is awful looking yoke.

I have seen quite a few 5 series , the 7 series only looks well if it has big wheels filling the arches and chrome back - stunning car only in that format

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭GavMan

F10 was pretty cheap all things considered. G30 has seen a price bump

was behind one in traffic - it looked so narrow it could have been the new 3 series, I don't like the current E class either as don't like curvy cars - XF also doesn't look as good as once did.
    Know its an oddball choice , but lexus GS is possibly best looking of lot and its not diesel !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was in my local Renault/Opel dealer yesterday and they were very busy. The Twingo must be selling really well no brochures for it but there was for all the other cars and the salesmen were all very busy with customers looking at cars.

Advertisement