Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

171 reg cars.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's all done on ROS.

You can even load up the cars details in December and pull the trigger on your phone on the way home from the pub after New Year's Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

colm_mcm wrote: »
    His last 8 cars have had the chape tax to be fair.
    People buying things is good for the economy.

Typical Irish thinking......I'm not going to buy a big high spec Lexus for 10k because the tax is 1800

But instead I'll spend 30k+ to get the cheap tax.........

You'll find Ford Focuses sell quite well outside Ireland too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

would you have to pay for that 171 lk 1 reg or whatever it was? As in how does he secure that he gets the 1st registered car for that year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Typical Irish thinking......I'm not going to buy a big high spec Lexus for 10k because the tax is 1800

He has had the cheap tax for 8 years. What he's after is a brand new car every year, not a 8/9 year old Lexus. That's what he wants and that's what he gets. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Someone has to buy that Lexus new, for it now to be secondhand and worth 10k.

Typical "x" attitude, buying new Lexus and allowing them depreciate over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭goochy

Was looking around x2 land rover dealerships in Dublin over Xmas , thought they would have been packed with new sold vehicles waiting for 171 reg played but very little stock. Maybe they are waiting for new discovery or is the uncertainty effecting this end of market ?

f140 wrote: »
    would you have to pay for that 171 lk 1 reg or whatever it was? As in how does he secure that he gets the 1st registered car for that year

Limerick is reserved for the Lord Mayor I think. But in counties where it isn't: it's first up, best dressed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Limerick is reserved for the Lord Mayor I think. But in counties where it isn't: it's first up, best dressed

The parents accidentally got 12wx1 the other year, still have it in fact.

Didn't order or ask for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I like the Focus, even if it's 6 years on the go!

That model Focus is much smaller than the Mk2.5 Focus which is a drawback!

• Advertisement

The parents accidentally got 12wx1 the other year, still have it in fact.

Didn't order or ask for it.

Yeah, it's just whoever gets there first. I never bothered, it started at 200 back when I was selling so no real motivation. A colleague of mine would often get 200,201,202 etc as he didn't really go out on NYE. Back then I'd be in a heap until the 3rd so I couldn't use an ATM on the 1st nevermind register a car on ROS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dfeo wrote: »
    We seriously need to remove the year from the plate. People are flocking in their droves to get their brand bastarding new fūĉkïñĝ car of cereal box spec for chape road tax and so the neighbours can see.

After the first NCT, cars should get a number plate with a yellow background

gctest50 wrote: »

Why though?
    goochy wrote: »
    Was looking around x2 land rover dealerships in Dublin over Xmas , thought they would have been packed with new sold vehicles waiting for 171 reg played but very little stock. Maybe they are waiting for new discovery or is the uncertainty effecting this end of market ?

Id say they're in storage indoors somewhere.

gctest50 wrote: »

Or have the car programmed not to go over 50kmph as they are now an old car and potentially dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

He's not Focus-ed enough.

My coat. I'll get it.

Seems he can af-Ford it though.

I forgot my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

He should be invited on to do one of those ask me threads. Fair play to him if he likes having a brand new car every January more power to him. But I think if it was me I'd try a different manufacturer, or at least a different model.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Why though?

Id say they're in storage indoors somewhere.

I work at a dealers and sales of land rovers for this year have flopped . I think LR's decision to scrap the commercial option on the new discovery is going to bite them in the ass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Who is it? Do they always get one?

Steve Jobs used to buy an identical coloured Mercedes SL every 6 months. In California you don't need to put a registration plate on the car for the first six months, so he never had to run with a number plate!

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.cultofmac.com/126338/why-steve-jobs-mercedes-never-had-a-license-plate/amp/?client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Gas. Take the piss put of the guy for the cheap tax etc but if he has the money and he likes sitting in to a new car every January then more power to him. As was said, its the same cost as 20 cigarettes a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Can someone explain why we still have 1 at the end of the reg? I believe in 2013 it was because car dealers were concerned people wouldn't want a car "13" but I could be wrong. It seems stupid. It's 2017, not 20171

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Can someone explain why we still have 1 at the end of the reg? I believe in 2013 it was because car dealers were concerned people wouldn't want a car "13" but I could be wrong. It seems stupid. It's 2017, not 20171

So they can sell more cars in July with the 172 etc

Shannon757 wrote: »

Is that the actual reason!l? **** me. :rolleyes:

The fact that you believed it was superstitious is more of a **** me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I'm just guessing

Shannon757 wrote: »

There's also another albeit a lesser issue (for now) that we are now enterprise my the territory where cars from the last century that did not get issued a ZV plate but rather got an aged identifiable plate e.g. 17-D-xxx. Obviously it's not a huge deal right now but as we push in to the next few decades it will become one, of course they could have held off until it really was an issue.....

xabi wrote: »
    The fact that you believed it was superstitious is more of a **** me tbh

Well why did they start only after 2012? That's what I was told and it adds up when that's when they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Wasn't it in the papers about that 131/132 thing for plates over the unlucky number 13? I'm nearly sure thats why they changed it then as well. Or at least for what I can remember reading about.

What's more concerning is that anyone can go to a Motor Factors in Ireland and get any number plate they want without proof.

In the UK only authorised agents can issue number plates and you must show the registration book and ID.

There's nothing stopping anyone sticking a 171 LS 1 registration on a 2015 blue Focus and zooming up and down the M50. It's scandalous!

Dia1988 wrote: »
    What's more concerning is that anyone can go to a Motor Factors in Ireland and get any number plate they want without proof.

In the UK only authorised agents can issue number plates and you must show the registration book and ID.

There's nothing stopping anyone sticking a 171 LS 1 registration on a 2015 blue Focus and zooming up and down the M50. It's scandalous!

Exactly, happened to me recently.

• Advertisement

Dia1988 wrote: »

With cheap, high quality printers it would be easy for anyone to print a vinyl sticker anyway in order to produce a fake number. Limiting who can make plates is futile.

Advertisement