Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

billyhead wrote: »
    That would appear to be the case with flight attendants too. Most of them seem to be attractive.

I wouldn't agree with this. I've seen some really stunning women with average looking fellas. In some cases the guy was even shorter than the woman. So many times I've thought to myself, "jammy fecker." Then again its more difficult for me to judge what's attractive in a man. They could have been hot for all I know.

Money Talks

not true. Explain college aged girls with average looking guys then. Securing her future early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Not if your a girl, men will be trying to bang you constantly.

It's true. A female friend of mine is stunning looking and constantly gets hassled by pests when she goes out. She's quite a shy girl so it's very unwelcome. She could be at the bar and some scobe or a creepy old guy will start talking to her and giving her compliments or sleazy banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That would appear to be the case with flight attendants too. Most of them seem to be attractive.

I wouldn't agree with this. I've seen some really stunning women with average looking fellas. In some cases the guy was even shorter than the woman. So many times I've thought to myself, "jammy fecker." Then again its more difficult for me to judge what's attractive in a man. They could have been hot for all I know.

Money Talks

The man i suspect will be very rich if you see him with a stunner.. reminds me of the time i was in KFC having a dirty fried chicken feed. A couple walk in. He was 60+ and she was a stunner aged approx 30 ish. She was all over him, putting me off my lovely juicy fried chicken.:o

Then they left, he pulled up outside the door in a brand new porsche and she hopped in.....mystery solved.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Micky 32 wrote: »

The man i suspect will be very rich if you see him with a stunner.. reminds me of the time i was in KFC having a dirty fried chicken feed. A couple walk in. He was 60+ and she was a stunner aged approx 30 ish. She was all over him, putting me off my lovely juicy fried chicken.:o

Then they left, he pulled up outside the door in a brand new porsche and she hopped in.....mystery solved.;)

Cases like that benefit both people, she gets to go on holidays to places she could never afford and nice presents and he gets to shag a beautiful woman every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The people I'm talking about are in their 20's though. The women, while stunning, are very down to earth too. Not all stunners are shallow and have a huge list of requirements.

• Advertisement

Cases like that benefit both people, she gets to go on holidays to places she could never afford and nice presents and he gets to shag a beautiful woman every night.

Is a 'relationship' that came about only because of mutual desires but no real interest in actually being with one another a healthy thing though..seems sad to me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Fortunately not every tall guy is handsome so that gives us runts a chance :)

Ay the runts they are a special breed altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

wakka12 wrote: »

Is a 'relationship' that came about only because of mutual desires but no real interest in actually being with one another a healthy thing though..seems sad to me at least

It's not ideal but probably better than the alternative, especially for women from poor countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If both parties are happy with the arrangement then sure what harm.

I've seen it happen with a girl from the village I come from, she spent a few years with a millionaire 30 years older than her who had a holiday home here.

She got to see the world and was a stunner so it's easy to see what he was getting out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lads, you're making a fcuk of these quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Saipanne wrote: »
    Lads, you're making a fcuk of these quotes.

They're not all mucking up the quotes surely? Glitch in Boards more likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Calibos wrote: »

Maybe, it can be fixed if someone deletes the double quote at the beginning though.

Calibos wrote: »

no..I think I messed up the first one and it had a bit of a knock on :pac:

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Confidence is a big thing. I wouldn't consider myself overly handsome or anything and the confidence isn't the highest but I've started online coaching with a personal trainer to get fitter. I know if I got myself ripped id be a lot more confident in myself.

That's a bit...depressing...but I guess it's what so much of the gym industry is based on now, look better (as opposed to getting fit for some valid reason, like your health or to do better in sports) and you will be better for it.

Hands up, when I see a man who looks "ripped", I assume not very intelligent, possible inferiority issues, gullible etc. Kinda like the stereotypical blonde with too much make up and a short skirt. Of course, it's not a universal rule, and I know very smart blondes caked in make up and...actually any "ripped" guy I know personally is dumber than a bag of spanners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

That's a bit...depressing...but I guess it's what so much of the gym industry is based on now, look better (as opposed to getting fit for some valid reason, like your health or to do better in sports) and you will be better for it.

Hands up, when I see a man who looks "ripped", I assume not very intelligent, possible inferiority issues, gullible etc. Kinda like the stereotypical blonde with too much make up and a short skirt. Of course, it's not a universal rule, and I know very smart blondes caked in make up and...actually any "ripped" guy I know personally is dumber than a bag of spanners...

Jaysus.

Or it could be that our own insecurities would bring us to those assumptions in order to make us feel less shítty about ourselves in comparison

If i see a lad ripped i say, 'Jeez fair play to him, terrific dedication, '. Being ripped doesn't guarantee success with the ladies because i know several ladies make assumptions along the line of 'Oh he probably loves himself'.

As Irish we tend to dabble in be-grudgery all too very quickly and willingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

I fully know that being ripped doesn't guarantee success with women but I find that it would help me a lot. I have worked in female dominated jobs and find it very easy interacting with women, however due to the fact, I wouldn't be overly handsome, I could do with just more of a head turning appeal which I'm hoping getting fitter may give me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Being exceptionally beautiful, particularly for women, brings hostility with it too though - suspicion and jealousy from other women especially. When you see "Her forehead is huge", you can be sure the woman they're referring to is a stunner and that the forehead comment is barrel-scraping desperation by jealous women and by men who resent that they've no chance with her.

There's also the assumption that extremely beautiful people are stupid and vacuous (people like to tell themselves this to feel better). And the assumption that such a man is going to be a dick, or that such a woman is a bitch.

Somewhere in between seems the ideal point in my opinion. I.e. average looking and being able to scrub up nicely.

I see on this thread that going for good looking people is deemed a female tendency ;) when of course it's a tendency for either sex. When people say looks don't matter - ok it's not entirely honest, but what it means is that someone doesn't have to be utterly incredible looking to be attractive, and that in the long term, personality is of course most important. Short term though, it would be more about the physical.

Or it could be that our own insecurities would bring us to those assumptions in order to make us feel less shítty about ourselves in comparison

If i see a lad ripped i say, 'Jeez fair play to him, terrific dedication"

The 3 most "ripped" guys in the local gym are on steroids.

As I said, dumb. But an inevitable by product of that whole culture.

And you think criticism of that stupidity is based on insecurity? Ha!

The 3 most "ripped" guys in the local gym are on steroids.

As I said, dumb. But an inevitable by product of that whole culture.

And you think criticism of that stupidity is based on insecurity? Ha!

Whoa.......huge sample size! Seriously? 3 guys are on steroids and you assume everyone is like them or is it just them you are referring to? Bit of an insult to those that actually work hard to maintain their shape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

and...actually any "ripped" guy I know personally is dumber than a bag of spanners...

Not possible.

Whoa.......huge sample size! Seriously? 3 guys are on steroids and you assume everyone is like them or is it just them you are referring to? Bit of an insult to those that actually work hard to maintain their shape

As I said, the 3 best examples of being "ripped" around here are exceedingly dumb.

But they have many admirers in the gym who are too dumb to realise their only dedication is to injecting drugs.

I know loads of fellow runners who work hard and stay in great shape, and I admire them. But they are not doing it to look good, many won't set foot in gyms because they don't want to be surrounded by gym bunnies staring at themselves in mirrors and hogging machines. And it's certainly not the "ripped" shape they are aiming for anyway, their dedication is based on their sport, not their looks.

As I said, the 3 best examples of being "ripped" around here are exceedingly dumb.

But they have many admirers in the gym who are too dumb to realise their only dedication is to injecting drugs.

I know loads of fellow runners who work hard and stay in great shape, and I admire them. But they are not doing it to look good, many won't set foot in gyms because they don't want to be surrounded by gym bunnies staring at themselves in mirrors and hogging machines. And it's certainly not the "ripped" shape they are aiming for anyway, their dedication is based on their sport, not their looks.

Fair enough. And as I said, dont generalise everyone who wants to achieve a defined physique and works hard to do so by their actions.

If a guy is ripped and muscular, then he works hard in the gym. Regardless of steroid use. Do you think if a fat middle aged man starts taking steroids but continues to not exercise then he'll become ripped,because he wont

If a guy is ripped and muscular, then he works hard in the gym. Regardless of steroid use. Do you think if a fat middle aged man starts taking steroids but continues to not exercise then he'll become ripped,because he wont

Id imagine steroids are a supplement to training as opposed to a substitute and as you correctly point out they speed up the shredding process albeit with some side effects and risks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you think if a fat middle aged man starts taking steroids but continues to not exercise then he'll become ripped,because he wont

:(

New Year's Resolution dead already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I don't really understand what's wrong with working out to look good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

I think good looking people will generally garner a quicker/better reception in public places, be responded to more etc than your average Joe. They won't be ignored readily in shops or in the work place, or in the dating world, and that in turn can lead to more professional and personal success.

There's a downside to that though. You'll also attract more shysters, messers, men who are players or women who are crazy, get hit on by more creeps and be scrutinised more in general - whether it's being criticised for your actions more, or people being catty and finding reasons to dislike you (as evidence in this thread and "all ripped men are dumb" comments)

I'm a woman and considered pretty, with a bit of effort I can be prettier and even at that, the level of attention is a bit much sometimes. People stare, men gawk, women look you up and down. I'd never want to be the person that walks into a room literally ANYWHERE and all eyes are on her, I've seen it with beautiful people and to my introverted sensibilities it looks like a horror show. You can never slip under the radar, keep a low profile or have a bad day or be a bit grumpy or ask a stupid question without that defining you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

cookiexx wrote: »
    I think good looking people will generally garner a quicker/better reception in public places, be responded to more etc than your average Joe. They won't be ignored readily in shops or in the work place, or in the dating world, and that in turn can lead to more professional and personal success.

There's a downside to that though. You'll also attract more shysters, messers, men who are players or women who are crazy, get hit on by more creeps and be scrutinised more in general - whether it's being criticised for your actions more, or people being catty and finding reasons to dislike you (as evidence in this thread and "all ripped men are dumb" comments)

I'm a woman and considered pretty, with a bit of effort I can be prettier and even at that, the level of attention is a bit much sometimes. People stare, men gawk, women look you up and down. I'd never want to be the person that walks into a room literally ANYWHERE and all eyes are on her, I've seen it with beautiful people and to my introverted sensibilities it looks like a horror show. You can never slip under the radar, keep a low profile or have a bad day or be a bit grumpy or ask a stupid question without that defining you.

See it's true the beautiful people are the most persecuted.

• Advertisement

cookiexx wrote: »

What are these supposed to mean? I have beautiful friends too lots of people tell them it all the time but their life seems very normal. Not as paprazzi as you're making it out ..

Advertisement