Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Had one lamb with maggots this weekend. Dipped 4 weeks ago with hygeia summer dip. Lamb perfectly clean. Had a good load across middle of back and down one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Have 4 acres was going to make hay from but thinking of putting few sheep on it for the winter as have plenty of hay now. Would sheep clear it? Would the long grass affect their eyes? If it would work what type and how many clear it for winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

marathon wrote: »
    Have 4 acres was going to make hay from but thinking of putting few sheep on it for the winter as have plenty of hay now. Would sheep clear it? Would the long grass affect their eyes? If it would work what type and how many clear it for winter?

You'd need to strip graze it otherwise they'd have it all walked into the ground in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

roosky wrote: »
    I used clik extra at that stage too so i would also want keep an eye now.....did you give them the full doseage according to their weight and not watered down...........Some people water it down or give less than recomended !

No wasn’t watered down. Have always used the ordinary clik until this year and never had a issue before

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd need to strip graze it otherwise they'd have it all walked into the ground in a few days

But it would work strip grazing it yea?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Depends on how well fenced it is. Would you be using electric netting? Are there water troughs in the right places to strip graze it?

Sheep will eat any type of grass if they have to, but if they don't have to (that is, they can escape!), then they can be fussy enough.

Are you talking about mature ewes or store lambs here? The type of animal you put on it will influence how long they to get out of 4 acres too. Different too if you were to throw them some fodder beet or meal.

Don't mean to put you off or throw 20 questions at you, but I've made so many mistakes I'm trying to share what I got wrong in the hope of saving others making the same mistakes!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Mines definitely wasn't watered down and topped up after so many sheep according till the jar... Totally emptied and filled again after little over 130 sheep as was mobile plunge Dipper and he wouldn't drive on road with it filled... Shifting ewes today 2 maggoted and found eggs in a 3rd just after buying half gallon of hygeia winter dip as was all they had left in merchants wreckon everyone is the same. Gonna run ewes in pen and spray with Lance off back sprayer. Sounds lazy but only thing I can think off doing now as ewes and lambs are in alot off different groups and different fields.

Yea , I always used to strip graze here, they never needed water as it was winter and ews in good condition at mating need very little in the second and third month of pregnancy.
    Abit of common sense is needed no matter what you're feeding pregnant ewes you have to watch their body condition, your four acres could be weeds or grass so hard for me to say whether it'll work for them. but if you don't strip graze it they'll walk it into the ground in the first week

I milked her out this morning and gave her penicillin. The stuff that came out was almost like beastings more than what I remember cows mastitis looked like (that was the last time I saw mastitis)

She’s a bit better this evening but still on her own and lying down a lot. I might try the vets office for an antibiotic if she’s not showing much improvement in the morning.

Vet gave me Noroclav for 3 days and I gave her a 4th shot of it this morning just to be sure. Milked her out each day as well and there wasn’t much in her this morning.

Seems to have worked anyway.

Was also told since that penicillin would do too if the mastitis is caught early enough but Noroclav works best (even though it’s not licensed for sheep) for one that has it a few days

Funny I was I in vets yesterday and there was no vets there just receptionist and the strongest antibiotic she could give me was alamycin la300 without the vet seeing the anilam and signing off.

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    Funny I was I in vets yesterday and there was no vets there just receptionist and the strongest antibiotic she could give me was alamycin la300 without the vet seeing the anilam and signing off.

It was probably even tllegal to give you that without a vets say so, I wouldn't be broadcasting that, only the vet can give you any antibiotic

I didn't know that... I think the local coop even gives out alamycin and pen and strep open till correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I didn't know that... I think the local coop even gives out alamycin and pen and strep open till correction though.

the receptionist might of been a vet nurse who have some power when it comes to distribution of medicines but i'm not too sure about what they can give out.

the only way a coop would be able to sell you medicines is if you come with a prescription from the vets so most coops don't want the hassle of prescriptions

Yea she would be a vererniary nurse alright. As I say I could be wrong on the coop thing but I definitely mind getting stuff there before maybe rules only changed in last 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Hi folks. Just a quick one for the lads who keep lambs over the winter and early spring months gona keep my lightest lambs this year and finish them have a good bit of grass ear marked for them but just wondering what are you guys giving them say come Christmas time is it just grass or meal come January or what? We usually flog what ever lambs are left come November but this year things are different. Weighted these lambs last week and heaviest is 30kilos and lightest was 20 kilos so they are the screws but still looking for advice as best practice to do with them. Thanks in advance to any reply’s.

Got a phone call this evening from a Dept inspector saying he’ll be here in the morning to check the sheep. Not the Sheep Welfare Scheme stuff, he said, just the sheep themselves - numbers and tags.

This is my first inspection so I didn’t know what to ask him. Would I be correct in assuming he’ll want to see the flock book and movement documents?

I also buried 2 ewes that died last year. Apologies for my ignorance again, but is this acceptable?

Got a phone call this evening from a Dept inspector saying he’ll be here in the morning to check the sheep. Not the Sheep Welfare Scheme stuff, he said, just the sheep themselves - numbers and tags.

This is my first inspection so I didn’t know what to ask him. Would I be correct in assuming he’ll want to see the flock book and movement documents?

I also buried 2 ewes that died last year. Apologies for my ignorance again, but is this acceptable?

Only thing you can bury now is a human, We had the same a couple years ago, had to get 10%of the flock in and read them and then find them in the records which in our case was over 50 numbers at the time........ Thankfully it was easy find them on computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

some c£$t of a year for ewes getting mastisis

found 2 of last year's hoggetts to day gone on 1 spin , that's about 10 sheep in total since shearing, white face sheep seem to be more vunerable
    I suppose the only bright side is that culls are a good trade

ran the ewe lambs in this morning and they have really thove since last dosing & minerals, culled a few with dirty backsides and lame,

got them sheared this pm , hadn't planned on letting them to ram but having second thoughts as they are a bit too forward to leave idle,

picked up a couple of hybrid rams beltex/char. so might try them , most of the ewe lambs are rouge/belclare so should a nice match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lads would it be ok to dip ewes tomorrow around 11 am? heavy enough showers of rain coming on friday morning would it do any harm to dip?

Bolused ewes for a friend today only in game 2 years 1 hogget and 2 2nd lambers gone with mastitis. I had my run off it last year so far none since lambs were weaned won't speak 2 soon though. Was chatting till a neighbour since told him the story said till me did I check the milk might just be lumps antibiotic would get rid off I said noni didn't wanna break the seal now at this stage am I wrong or is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lads when you go to a new mart to buy sheep, do you just walk in and start bidding or do you have to inform someone thwlat you will be bidding for sheep and give them your details?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lads when you go to a new mart to buy sheep, do you just walk in and start bidding or do you have to inform someone thwlat you will be bidding for sheep and give them your details?

Walk in usually auctioneer will ask ur name just after u buy sort everything in office afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DJ98 wrote: »

handy to have your name and herd/flock number on a slip of paper and hand it up on your first lot purchased.

Any lads looking for well bred collie pups mother can be see working serious dog lacking powder in the field but in close no fear in her tipped by a trail dog from a former all Ireland winner. Just pupped today 6 pups 4 taken just 2 till go will check sexes tomorrow pm for my number and videos off mother free to good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

orm0nd wrote: »
    some c£$t of a year for ewes getting mastisis

found 2 of last year's hoggetts to day gone on 1 spin , that's about 10 sheep in total since shearing, white face sheep seem to be more vunerable
    I suppose the only bright side is that culls are a good trade

ran the ewe lambs in this morning and they have really thove since last dosing & minerals, culled a few with dirty backsides and lame,

got them sheared this pm , hadn't planned on letting them to ram but having second thoughts as they are a bit too forward to leave idle,

picked up a couple of hybrid rams beltex/char. so might try them , most of the ewe lambs are rouge/belclare so should a nice match.

I went through the ewes on saturday....not one case of mastitis from scanning (Christmas) to now.....never had as good a year for mastitis.......hard to know is it breed or what thats causing the difference ....im running texel cross ewes so mostly white heads !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

roosky wrote: »
    I went through the ewes on saturday....not one case of mastitis from scanning (Christmas) to now.....never had as good a year for mastitis.......hard to know is it breed or what thats causing the difference ....im running texel cross ewes so mostly white heads !

I have a feeling it might be flies and the height of ditches more so than breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

kk.man wrote: »
    I have a feeling it might be flies and the height of ditches more so than breeds.

I personally think that ewes have under lying mastitis (high scc like dairy cows) from lambing time and with the stress of weaning thats what causes the mastitis to flare up !

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

How did your inspection go??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Any lads looking for well bred collie pups mother can be see working serious dog lacking powder in the field but in close no fear in her tipped by a trail dog from a former all Ireland winner. Just pupped today 6 pups 4 taken just 2 till go will check sexes tomorrow pm for my number and videos off mother free to good home.

Typical just paid 200 euro for a pup!

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote: »
    How did your inspection go??

Was just logging in to say it went OK.

Still not sure what exactly was being checked but the inspector was a gentleman and couldn’t have done much more to make sure everything was in order.

We usually hear horror stories about inspectors that are absolute b*stards, and no doubt they’re out there too, but we rarely hear about the good guys. And this fella today was one of the good guys.

Some insight and moral support from wrangler was a great help too.

Will get official confirmation on Monday I think but apart from having to buy a few tags, I think it’s all OK

Advertisement