Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »
    What sort of a dosing gun do people use? Have gone through 3 in the last year, find it very to get one that will last

Got this a while ago, wish I had gotten it sooner...
    Was expensive but worth it I thought...

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Find these a great job after recommendations across the water

https://www.davidsons-vs.co.uk/product/zoetis-15ml-drench-gun/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Got this a while ago, wish I had gotten it sooner...
    Was expensive but worth it I thought...

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher#

Bought one of these last year. The father had one for 20 years before that so made to last. Got it in Glanbia. Nearly 30 cheaper

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Philips-Automatic-Drencher-20ml/9056832

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭kk.man

Philips guns all the way...don't mind the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just aswell u said it foxirl **** me that's some money for a dosing gun even yours is feared than I paid for same gun last year by over a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭DJ98

Why are sheep farmers so against putting a price on the stock they have for sale on donedeal, surely this should be mandatory. Nothing worse than seeing a group of sheep or a ram with no price and then having to ring to find out that it's way out your price range. I tend to skip ads that don't have a price but there's always a few that will stand out so would ring to enquire. If you message them for the price they either ignore you or tell you to ring them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Why are sheep farmers so against putting a price on the stock they have for sale on donedeal, surely this should be mandatory. Nothing worse than seeing a group of sheep or a ram with no price and then having to ring to find out that it's way out your price range. I tend to skip ads that don't have a price but there's always a few that will stand out so would ring to enquire. If you message them for the price they either ignore you or tell you to ring them.

I’m inclined to skip over the ads that don’t have a price too. Genuine sellers with a genuine animal/item for sale have nothing to hide or be cagey about.

Some lads might get a kick out of it but life’s too short to be wasting time phoning people who will inevitably be hard to deal with.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I hate when people stick 1234 down as the price or like 5 euro for a pbr texel just so you can't filter them out.
    We sell ewe lambs on dd and put the price we want for them.
    People who put no price must have there arse annoyed with people ringing to ask the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I think in their own mind they think the buyer will fall in love with their animal first and then will be willing to pay any money for it. In reality, it is much more likely that it just makes people think that the seller is a bit of a gobsh*te and will probably be asking big money - which is in fact generally the truth.
    Then there is the lads who dont want their neighbours knowing how much they are selling stock for, as if it somehow isnt around the going rate of the rest of the stock on the site. They then scour around to see what other people are asking on the site and ask in or around the same as that.

Messaged 2 different sellers today in relation to ads with no price, smashing texel rams, one reply I got was the price, a reasonable enough price range and a more than helpful seller. The other reply was got can you not ring, I'm being plagued by time wasters. Id much rather send a message than ring someone, talk to them for 5-10 mins only to find out the animal is way out of my limits, to me that would be more of a time waste than a simple message. Why allow people to contact you through message if your not going to reply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Messaged 2 different sellers today in relation to ads with no price, smashing texel rams, one reply I got was the price, a reasonable enough price range and a more than helpful seller. The other reply was got can you not ring, I'm being plagued by time wasters. Id much rather send a message than ring someone, talk to them for 5-10 mins only to find out the animal is way out of my limits, to me that would be more of a time waste than a simple message. Why allow people to contact you through message if your not going to reply?

To be fair, my experience of messagers is generally quite poor. In fact of all the livestock ive sold on there, ive never sold any off the back of a message. Although I always put up a price, so the messagers I get are purposely avoiding direct contact, which a lot of the time can mean they are maybe a bit odd, or chancing their arm trying to get the stock for f all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Price on inspection only , a big no no for me,

especially when the photos show sheep running about 50 yards away .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Are lads having a lot of hassle with maggots this year?.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Country lad

No problem here in kk clik the lambs in June ando power washed the ewes with dip in july

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Used clik extra on mine end of May and had 2 cases this week. Not bad but have to keep a better eye on them now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Seems to be a very big fly population around this year and they started early around mid May. Cannt afford to take your eye off the ball or they’ll be straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Had maggots in lambs here just over 3 weeks from being plunged dipped with ectoflits... Talking till alot off farmers with the same problem some that used hygeia dip aswell so must be down till alot off flies about... I'll be dipping ewes and replacements again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭White Clover

Looking to get a good quality vaccine gun. Are one of the Phillips guns the best job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Looking to get a good quality vaccine gun. Are one of the Phillips guns the best job ?

i had one of these and it worked grand till the glass broke, If I was going again i'd get the 30ml version case the 50ml is a bit too long
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/roux-revolver-50ml-auto-syringe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have bought about 15 guns in 10 years tried every brand and make and all let me down......finally bit the bullet and bought the philips gun (nearly cried giving €75 for it ).....best value purchase i have made to date !

Dont waste your time and money buying anything else.....

P.S. i am not a sales rep for Philips !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

razor8 wrote: »
    Used clik extra on mine end of May and had 2 cases this week. Not bad but have to keep a better eye on them now

I used clik extra at that stage too so i would also want keep an eye now.....did you give them the full doseage according to their weight and not watered down...........Some people water it down or give less than recomended !

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

roosky wrote: »
    I used clik extra at that stage too so i would also want keep an eye now.....did you give them the full doseage according to their weight and not watered down...........Some people water it down or give less than recomended !

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but how would you know if lambs have maggots from a distance? Any tell tale signs to watch out for without having to get them into yard to check.

I treated lambs about 3 weeks ago with Clik Zin to prevent maggots but haven't checked them since to see if they are ok.

I have bought about 15 guns in 10 years tried every brand and make and all let me down......finally bit the bullet and bought the philips gun (nearly cried giving €75 for it ).....best value purchase i have made to date !

Dont waste your time and money buying anything else.....

P.S. i am not a sales rep for Philips !!! :D

I'll go phillips aright only i cant decide on which one! Which one have you got?

ganmo wrote: »
    i had one of these and it worked grand till the glass broke, If I was going again i'd get the 30ml version case the 50ml is a bit too long
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/roux-revolver-50ml-auto-syringe

Would a gun that the bottle connects to be a good job?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but how would you know if lambs have maggots from a distance? Any tell tale signs to watch out for without having to get them into yard to check.

I treated lambs about 3 weeks ago with Clik Zin to prevent maggots but haven't checked them since to see if they are ok.

You might see a dirty grey mark on the wool, where the maggots are, but not always...

Best thing to do is watch them for a while. If you think one of them is making sudden, twitchy movements, looks uncomfortable or cant get comfortable - then you could be in trouble...

Watch specifically for
    - turning their heads around repeatedly
    - biting at their wool at their ribs (or wherever the maggots are, they are often around the tail end but not necessarily so)
    - getting up, walking/kicking a small bit, then lying down again repeatedly

Bitting at the wool is a sign, also running along hiding in the ditches

I'll go phillips aright only i cant decide on which one! Which one have you got?

Got this one maybe 2 years ago, I think possibly on Rooskys advice. Excellent job... Its gone up a good bit in price since I got it, but like Roosky I thought it dear the day I bought it, but worth it.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher

Got this one maybe 2 years ago, I think possibly on Rooskys advice. Excellent job... Its gone up a good bit in price since I got it, but like Roosky I thought it dear the day I bought it, but worth it.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/nj-philips-20ml-auto-drencher

Thanks Dinzee, I'll go for that one, Cronin hardware in bantry have them for €80.
    The thing is, I've to get a good vaccinator too !
    I'll throw away all the rubbish ones I have then !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Would a gun that the bottle connects to be a good job?

this type?
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/prima-tech-adjustable-dose-bmv--2ml

I think the added weight of the bottle would be awkward, also limits the size of bottle you can use.

the tube type is ok, just be careful that the tube doesn't get pulled out of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If you treated them with clikzin, I wouldn’t be worried about maggots. Always found it to do the 8 weeks as promised.

Advertisement