Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, usually exaggerated.
    What distance is the Sligo trip?

@shefwedfan should be able to give you accurate feedback as he just bought one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057723422

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

D0NNELLY wrote: »

It's right on the limit of the range of the car and hanging around for courts for a quick top up half way down isn't an option.

She would really only need to stop for about 10 minutes to top up. You'd nearly be stopped that long if topping up with petrol/diesel and going in to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

goz83 wrote: »
    She would really only need to stop for about 10 minutes to top up. You'd nearly be stopped that long if topping up with petrol/diesel and going in to pay.

Wow, didn't know that, that's amazing. The tech is growing at an amazing rate. Cheers!

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, usually exaggerated.
    What distance is the Sligo trip?

@shefwedfan should be able to give you accurate feedback as he just bought one.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057723422

Cheers for that, it's 210km door to door.
    She normally bounces on from sligo to Westport to friends of hers, which is grand on the way down, but on the way back it'll be a decent spin Westport to swords.. we'll have a look at charge points now i know what 10min can do! :)

She normally bounces on from sligo to Westport to friends of hers, which is grand on the way down, but on the way back it'll be a decent spin Westport to swords.. we'll have a look at charge points now i know what 10min can do! :)

I'm not familiar with the charging speeds of the Golf, but I would be fairly certain that 10 minutes would give a 25-30% top-up.

I had 60% battery in my Leaf earlier. I wanted to stop off at a garage and pick up a roll. I pulled in at a Fast Charger. I plugged in. Went inside and ate a roll ( eat quickly). I came back to 82% after only a few minutes. The charge slows down after you hit 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's the range of the Golf?
    My 24kwh Leaf will do 120km on motorway at approx. 100kmh.

kceire wrote: »
    What's the range of the Golf?
    My 24kwh Leaf will do 120km on motorway at approx. 100kmh.

No clue, that's why I'm here.. reading the link above seems 100 to 120km ish.. which would be grand, as it comes with fast charge, and seemingly 15min can put a decent bit in the tank

goz83 didnt mean 10mins for a full topup! :)

He meant a 10min topup would do to make it. Although I wonder about that.

I dont know the exact range of an eGolf but I'd say you'll need more than 10mins topup to cover a 210km trip also allowing for some spare capacity and bad weather and the fact that it will be at higher speeds (open road including motorway). I'd say a full 20-30min topup would be closer to the mark.

Also remember that when you topup at a rapid charger you generally only topup to 80% as the last 20% takes much longer. Charging at home will be to 100%

Westport to Swords might even require 2 stops depending on where the chargers are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

EPA range of the eGolf is 134km, about the same as a 24kWh Leaf. The Golf is more aerodynamic though so at 100km/h (real, not indicated :p) I'd expect it to do a bit better.

@Donnelly - how far is your trip to Sligo and at what speeds would you like to drive this? Dublin city to Sligo is 210km, which means even at lowish speeds of about 100km/h you will need almost a full charge in the middle, which will take a lot longer than 10 minutes. When you get to Sligo your battery will be mostly empty again. And maybe it's just me but £15k for a 2 year old Golf seems like a lot of money. With flight + ferry + charge point, you are talking about €19k landed here. You can nearly buy a brand new Leaf for that kinda money or an Ioniq for €6k more or a '16 30kWh Leaf with a much better range than the Golf

Edit - KCross mostly beat me to it there :)

Thanks for all the info folks, badly needed. My wife won't buy a Nissan or Hyundai. I've tried to talk her round, but it's not happening. I'll talk to her later regarding range of the newer models.

We thought 20ish on the drive was good value :O that's why we were going for it..........

More research required. In the mean time the long suffering a3 gets it's cold starts 6+ times a day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Westport to swords would require 2 stops at best. Considering it's a CCS car, you are bound to the M6/M4 and you won't make it with 1 stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Yeah, unfortunately in that part of the country Ballinalack, Longford, Ballindine and Carrick on Shannon all lack CCS which is required by all the current cars apart from LEAF. On a 24 kWh car Castlebar<->Longford is quite a hair raising stretch.

samih wrote: »
    On a 24 kWh car Castlebar<->Longford is quite a hair raising stretch.

Have you done it in a 24kWh? I have to say, that would be beyond my comfort zone... 113km.

Have you done it in a 24kWh? I have to say, that would be beyond my comfort zone... 113km.
    I've done longford - ballindine(10mins) - westport (destination) before because of that exact reason. 113km is doable on 100% but not on 80.

On a 24 kWh car Castlebar<->Longford is quite a hair raising stretch.

I did it after charging to 93 percent or so. Indicated 90 km/h all the way and arrived with a very low battery charge to the the CP (which was down :-) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Longest run I've done since bringing car (24kW Leaf) home from the UK =>

North Galway -> Athlone -> Kilbeggan -> Applegreen M4 -> Maynooth
    (and back).
    194 KM each way.

3 stop strategy required. Was on one of the coldest mornings of the Winter. Not an ideal scenario but I'm prepared to put up with it on the occasional long distance runs I do. I don't mind going anywhere that requires 1 or maybe 2 stops - 3 is a bit much (particularly if you have to do it again on the return leg on the same day).

I did it after charging to 93 percent or so. Indicated 90 km/h all the way and arrived with a very low battery charge to the the CP (which was down :-) ).
    Did you go via Ballindine? If you marked Ballindine in, then you have access to a FCP on the way rather than a SCP.

Did you go via Ballindine? If you marked Ballindine in, then you have access to a FCP on the way rather than a SCP.

Longford-Castlebar can be done either direct by N5 or N60 etc. via Ballindine on 24 kWh LEAF all FCP. The latter adds some distance but is less nervewrecking.

Renault Zoe i-Dynamique Intens - ?8495

Only up the road in norn iron, this is a great price for a battery owned Zoe. Battery owned Renaults are like hens teeth.

If you want to snag a bargain, get on this one today. Hell, if anyone wants to buy a 2014 Leaf Acenta (SV) in gunbarrel grey - with 6.6kW charging - first registered on 30th June 2014 for minimum €11K, I'll go buy it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Zoe is a lovely car. Bit Spartan on the inside for my liking but the perfect basic EV supermini.

I don't think it will give you the range you need though so you can do your commute without charging?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think it will give you the range you need though so you can do your commute without charging?
    Correct - that's why I've posted it up in the 'EV bargain that I'm not buying' thread :D I'll probably wait until next year and pick up a 30kW Leaf (which again, is probably not enough in terms of range - but should be affordable at that point).

However, if someone wanted a fresh 6.6kW Leaf right now without me having to actively bother to put it on the market, I might stroll in and buy this Zoe.

It's the 22kW charging that's the draw for me. Otherwise, I don't really like anything about the Zoe. BTW, has there ever been an independent comparison done on the original Zoe and Leaf batteries in terms of durability and range?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Renault Zoe i-Dynamique Intens - ?8495

Only up the road in norn iron, this is a great price for a battery owned Zoe. Battery owned Renaults are like hens teeth.

If you want to snag a bargain, get on this one today. Hell, if anyone wants to buy a 2014 Leaf Acenta (SV) in gunbarrel grey - with 6.6kW charging - first registered on 30th June 2014 for minimum ?11K, I'll go buy it myself!

Take trade-ins?;)

So ehm.... can you trade in a southern car up north?
    (Mine was originally a UK car if that helps?)
    (Still even have the UK plates in the shed)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know a Derry main dealer which accepts RoI reg trade-ins, so I assume others do it too (and they are close enough to the border to be able to resell it again).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    So ehm.... can you trade in a southern car up north?
    (Mine was originally a UK car if that helps?)
    (Still even have the UK plates in the shed)

Makes t very easy for them to sell on in the U.K.
    They just have to pay the DVLA reregistration and MOT it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lob020

On different note, I looked at this car a couple of weeks ago ,when it was being offered for sale at 24950 by another dealer.It was then sold on to Wilson Auctioneers ,who then sold it to present Dealer,anyway I liked the car,its an English import,but anyone interested might like to know its history.It may be a little overpriced in my opinion
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/i3/used-2016-161-bmw-i3-bev-5dr-auto-dublin-fpa-521816385392696404?SOURCE_ID=SOURCE_ID_FPA_FROM_FEAT_LIST

Apparently, this is gone already. Either it was clickbait or it was snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can't believe this 2014 Leaf with 6.6 charger is still available.

If I'd not bought a couple of months back, I'd have stretched for this one.

Soarer wrote: »
    Can't believe this 2014 Leaf with 6.6 charger is still available.

If I'd not bought a couple of months back, I'd have stretched for this one.

Isn't someone from here viewing it Saturday?

• Advertisement

That's a real bargain with the newer battery and 6.6 charger.
    It's not the SVE but it looks from the photo of the steering wheel to be the SV + cold pack. Bargain.

Advertisement