Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bargain of the year. Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

goz83 wrote: »
    Well wear, that's some serious value.
    Id say you could resell today at 20% markup without any hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Now this has to be great value:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16019609

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Is shameless self pimping allowed?:D

http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2014-nissan-leaf-acenta-sv-6-6-kw-charging/13238713

In my defence, it is the cheapest 2014 Leaf Acenta (SV) currently advertised in Ireland (and that's before you take into account that it has 6.6kW charging - which is a €1000 optional when buying from new).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Bit of friendly advice - you could really take some better photos, those ones really aren't doing it justice at all. Take it somewhere you can get a few feet away from it with a nice background too. The red one I posted above is a good reference. Interior shots also not good. Best of luck with the sale!

• Advertisement

Thank you Orebro - I'll take that under advisement. Way out west, we get very little blue sky most of the time so pics darker than they should be. As regards the 'surroundings', are you saying I'm slummin it? :D

Bottom line - it's cheapest in it's class - surely photo's whilst they could be better and go further identify that it's in fine condition? I also think that photo's should establish things to a certain level - to create sufficient interest - to view. It's not like buying off a dealer in the UK. If buying in Ireland, I would imagine that practically nobody buys sight unseen? Maybe they commit to buy or as near as - subject to a final viewing?

EDIT : Just updated the cover photo - I guess i see what you mean. I just need to take these photos in full sunlight. Will see what I can do tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is shameless self pimping allowed?:D

http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2014-nissan-leaf-acenta-sv-6-6-kw-charging/13238713

In my defence, it is the cheapest 2014 Leaf Acenta (SV) currently advertised in Ireland (and that's before you take into account that it has 6.6kW charging - which is a €1000 optional when buying from new).

Do you know the SOH of the battery?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you know the SOH of the battery?

I bought one of those dongles 6 months back - unfortunately, it was one of the many that don't work! :-( Any buyer is welcome to check it via/dongle Leafspy. Otherwise, if there's anyone around Galway that can lend me a dongle, I could run the test and post up the results.

All 12 bars are present in any event. Also, just to dispel a myth. People think that battery degradation is down to mileage when it's now more or less accepted that it's the age of the car/battery that's more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's not like buying off a dealer in the UK. If buying in Ireland, I would imagine that practically nobody buys sight unseen? Maybe they commit to buy or as near as - subject to a final viewing?
    To many for folk Galway is really really far away , so unless the photos are good. Some people will ignore the ad.

ted1 wrote: »
    To many for folk Galway is really really far away , so unless the photos are good. Some people will ignore the ad.

If you're interested in a car, genuinely interested and think it's a good deal, the length of a relatively small country like Ireland shouldn't hinder you really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I bought one of those dongles 6 months back - unfortunately, it was one of the many that don't work! :-( Any buyer is welcome to check it via/dongle Leafspy. Otherwise, if there's anyone around Galway that can lend me a dongle, I could run the test and post up the results.

All 12 bars are present in any event. Also, just to dispel a myth. People think that battery degradation is down to mileage when it's now more or less accepted that it's the age of the car/battery that's more relevant.

I have a dongle but I'm in Clare. I am thinking of coming to Oranmore on Sat morning for the Parkrun if the weather is any good if that would suit you?

Edit: i have the wifi version dongle for iphones

mel.b wrote: »
    I have a dongle but I'm in Clare. I am thinking of coming to Oranmore on Sat morning for the Parkrun if the weather is any good if that would suit you?

Edit: i have the wifi version dongle for iphones
    Thanks for your kind offer, Mel. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work out. The car is located in Galway - but I'm away from Galway on weekends (and not driving that car as it's effectively uninsured now). Notwithstanding that, I really appreciate you taking the time out to post and to offer.

If it's a deal breaker for any buyer - we can get it done. However, 12 bars are intact and I'm not expecting any surprises. It started life on 30th June 2014 - so there will be a few percentage points lost - which is normal.

If you're interested in a car, genuinely interested and think it's a good deal, the length of a relatively small country like Ireland shouldn't hinder you really.
    It's a car, there's thousands for sale in Ireland. It's not some rare piece of art.

If your only targeting a specific niche piece of the market then your cutting off a huge chunk of the market for no reason

Uninsured? so what did you replace the car with?

unkel wrote: »
    Uninsured? so what did you replace the car with?

A 30kW 6.6kW on-board charging 2016 Nissan Leaf Acenta. I can now do my long commute without any need for charging in between.

My total focus right now is on selling existing Leaf. Once that's accomplished, I'll come back and write a detailed post on what I got, how much I paid for it, where I got it, etc. etc. but for the moment, lets leave that discussion aside. ;-)

It's a car, there's thousands for sale in Ireland. It's not some rare piece of art.

If your only targeting a specific niche piece of the market then your cutting off a huge chunk of the market for no reason

Not always true....if you are looking for a very specific car, then there usually isn't thousands of them for sale in Ireland. Far from it.

And I think its safe to say that EVs fall into the category of car where there isn't thousands for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I just will not travel more than 40 miles to see a car in Ireland. Not saying any of this applies to OP. But we are liars and sell cars on the premise that the next guy will fix it.

Went to see a 'like new' mx5 on Sunday. ..06 rust on boot and bonnet, rear bumper paint very badly probably rattle can fit, just serviced oil was black and full of bits...airfilter was black, when he said tyres were new I said first thing I would do is take them off constancy tyres. He said why are continental not a good tyre. ...marks on side looked like hands with white paint in them, car was silver. Inside door handle fake chrome completely worn away. Nice man just a liar abused the car for 10 years but still want top dollar and lies.

That's was only 20 miles away no biggie....but been on goose chases to galway for an xtrail....that man was a real wa $k er. Longford same rubbish. ...would I go to galway for a car again not unless I was in Galway anyway.

I'd rather jump on a flight to the UK a lot more genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

650Ginge wrote: »
    I just will not travel more than 40 miles to see a car in Ireland.

I share your philosophy. It is simply not worth my time and effort.

For the right car I've driven 6 hours before. Each way.

That was for an ICE. EV don't have the same amount of cars for sale so the likelihood of finding the exact car you want within 20 miles of your house is smaller than the chance of Donald Trump becoming an EV evangelist!

Of course there are a load of chancers selling cars out there, but there's also plenty of genuine sellers too, selling well tended cars.

If I was to limit my choice of cars to those within 20 miles, I'd have a poor choice. Might be acceptable if you live in Dublin, but in north Donegal you have to be prepared to travel to see the right car.

• Advertisement

At the time I made the 6 hour each way trip, it was from Dublin to the Northwest! :pac:
    But yes in the GDA it is more possible to limit your search to the GDA but outside the pale it's not possible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ELM327 wrote: »
    At the time I made the 6 hour each way trip, it was from Dublin to the Northwest! :pac:
    But yes in the GDA it is more possible to limit your search to the GDA but outside the pale it's not possible really.

I have travelled a lot in the past and all of the turned out rubbish. In the end I bought all my cars withing 30 minutes drive from home (two within walking distance).

I am not in Dublin, but it is not Donegal either. I might consider doing a trip for an EV, but really as an exception. They are much more popular around Dublin, as Prii used to be...

It would be interesting (to say the least) to travel from say dublin to galway in an EV to buy a second EV, chargepoints would be in use a lot on the return leg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Any chance a mod could split this thread? It's gone from a bargain alerts, to photography lessons, to acceptable viewing distances, to Irish sellers are liars, to number of charges from Galway to Dublin.

goz83 wrote: »
    Any chance a mod could split this thread? It's gone from a bargain alerts, to photography lessons, to acceptable viewing distances, to Irish sellers are liars, to number of charges from Galway to Dublin.
    madlad -> triggered:D

Not always true....if you are looking for a very specific car, then there usually isn't thousands of them for sale in Ireland. Far from it.

And I think its safe to say that EVs fall into the category of car where there isn't thousands for sale.
    But that's the thing , with good photos you may expand your market to not just those looking for a specific car.

Bad photos targeted to a small part of the market isn't a good idea. Good photos that may draw in people who otherwise wouldn't have looked will help you gain more

Thanks for the advice re. pics/presentation etc. I appreciate it. However, I know that's well intentioned and it is useful feedback, I agree with goz83 - can our mod please split the 'pictures' related posts be split off into a separate thread as it's probably diluting the core subject of this thread.

Thanks in advance.

On a side note, I've added some more photo's. I'm sure I'm not there yet but due to time pressures and the car being parked up at work now, I don't have the time to devote to this just yet.

Another €5k Leaf. Possibly even a bit less than that. Looks clean. Guts of a year tax and two years test.

Bargain!

Linky

No link.

• Advertisement

No link.
    Link is there albeit that Orebro had gotten there before you on that one, Unkel.

Advertisement