Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ted1 wrote: »
    No link.

There for me.
    Click th "linky" text

• Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kceire wrote: »
    No link.

There for me.
    Click th "linky" text
    Not working on my iPhone via the touch site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Works for me via laptop and desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Works here

• Advertisement

For too many folk, Galway is really really far away , so unless the photos are good. Some people will ignore the ad.
    Orebro wrote: »
    Bit of friendly advice - you could really take some better photos
    650Ginge wrote: »
    I just will not travel more than 40 miles to see a car in Ireland.Not saying any of this applies to OP. But we are liars and sell cars on the premise that the next guy will fix it.
    grogi wrote: »
    I have travelled a lot in the past and all of the turned out rubbish. In the end I bought all my cars withing 30 minutes drive from home (two within walking distance).

Ok, constructive criticism taken on board. I've taken more photo's and will rummage through them and upload to donedeal/adverts shortly. However, surely video trumps photographs in any event? I've uploaded a videoclip of interior/exterior to youtube - and provided links to same on donedeal/adverts listings. Short of driving it round to your place, surely that's as clear as it gets?

Video Link

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good video, quick question.

At 0:16 there is a black section on the bumper to the top left of the right fog light. Whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NIMAN wrote: »

At 0:16 there is a black section on the bumper to the top left of the right fog light. Whats that?

There is a towing hook attachment point. It is missing the masking plate.

always heard Leafs weren't meant to be towed?

NIMAN wrote: »

That's the tow hook cover. As happens quite often (happened with my last car), power washing will sometimes blast off the paint on those covers. In the greater scheme of things, it's not a big deal i.e. if that's someone's only objection in buying the car, we can talk about that (or I an drop down to Halfords, get a can of Nissan Gun Metallic Grey paint - and spray it myself).
    grogi wrote: »
    It is missing the masking plate.

Nope, not missing. It's just had the paint blasted off - of it. I don't know a lot about these things. Perhaps the guy at the local Topaz has his power washer jet turned up too high - or the tow hook cover offers an opportunity for the pressure wash to get in behind the paint and under mine it - I'm not sure which (but this is the second car in a row that this has happened with).
    Niman wrote:
    always heard Leafs weren't meant to be towed?
    You heard correctly. However, they can be towed so long as the front two wheels are off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also on iPhone but on the full site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

The pound has just dropped to an 11 month low, good time to purchase in the U.K. and convert the euro If anyone is planning to buy in the very near future. 1.11 will get you 1 pound now. Price change would probably offset the flight and ferry. Will be having a look on autotrader later.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good point!

And here is another sub £20k Ioniq. With the weak sterling you could land that for under €23k

Linky

No free charger of course, but still a bit of a saving on a new one. And of course available immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Watch for age/mileage for vat.

Mileage can be "fixed" up to 6k km before re-reg :D

How do you find out date of first registration? Ring the dealer who would have to read it out from the registration documents to see if it is (nearly) 6 months old?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Stick the reg into the DVLA website
    https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

The tax check will give you month/year and the MOT check will give you a full date first used. Although a car less than a year old probably won't have an MOT record so you would only get the month and year then.

This one gives the full date without MOT, just reg required
    https://cartaxcheck.co.uk/free-car-check/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was looking at this car

Not sure if dodgy. Seller had no idea which version it was, Acenta etc. Says it is UK import etc but if you do bring it in you would expect them to know which model

Flat tyre on it which is strange to have up on car for sale.

I put in Irish reg to carzone to see if it had spec and it couldnt find reg....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2011/16076306

The reg is showing up on motorcheck.ie ok.
    That would usually tell you if it's a UK import, an no mention of it.

It looks like an Acenta spec.

Poor photos, no internal ones. And if I was selling a car I'd get a flat tyre fixed.

Also think 7k is pricey for its age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

unkel wrote: »
    Good point!

And here is another sub £20k Ioniq. With the weak sterling you could land that for under €23k

Linky

No free charger of course, but still a bit of a saving on a new one. And of course available immediately.
    Edit: Wrong place for the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,409 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Was looking at this car

Not sure if dodgy. Seller had no idea which version it was, Acenta etc. Says it is UK import etc but if you do bring it in you would expect them to know which model

It's a very annoying description. So much so that I wouldn't follow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Was looking at this car

It should not be in this thread. What a disgrace of an advert. The lack of detail is shocking and the pure laziness to not even wash the muck off the car! It's probably festering inside with all sorts of stuff. Shame on the seller.

goz83 wrote: »
    It should not be in this thread. What a disgrace of an advert. The lack of detail is shocking and the pure laziness to not even wash the muck off the car! It's probably festering inside with all sorts of stuff. Shame on the seller.

when I mentioned about tyre he said that I had a keen eye.....no Im just not f**king blind:P

Said it was his first time putting up ad on donedeal but really it take 5 mins to wash the bloody car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Was looking at this car

Someone that hides behind weekly cost is dodgy...

Was looking at this car

Even if he dropped €2k off his price, he'd struggle to sell with the state of the ad.

The 2014 ex-taxi for the same money would be a far better buy.

Has anyone here gone down the route of having their uk leaf delivered to rosslare or Dublin port and if so how was that experience?, the obvious shortfall is not being able to have the inspection yourself in the flesh and being able to look at every nook and cranny. I put an offer of £7500 on an 8k-ish 2014 leaf and the dealer accepted and also offered a paid ferry service for £230.

Is is this a big no no or what would ye wise people here advise? obviously worst case scenario is you pay and it's a dud.
    If it came to it I'd go over but can't realistically cant make the trip until Octoberish, just wondering has it been done before and how'd it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Has anyone here gone down the route of having their uk leaf delivered to rosslare or Dublin port and if so how was that experience?, the obvious shortfall is not being able to have the inspection yourself in the flesh and being able to look at every nook and cranny. I put an offer of £7500 on an 8k-ish 2014 leaf and the dealer accepted and also offered a paid ferry service for £230.

Is is this a big no no or what would ye wise people here advise? obviously worst case scenario is you pay and it's a dud.
    If it came to it I'd go over but can't realistically cant make the trip until Octoberish, just wondering has it been done before and how'd it go?

I've never heard of a dealer paying for the ferry.

So for me yes that rings alarm bells.

Ferry service as in pay for the boat?

Or ferry service as in delivery to a port of your choice?

First one would ring bells.
    Second one is fair enough. You could even get the ferry over as a walk on to meet the car at the other side. Probably cost you €50 if that.

The way I read it is that the dealer agreed the price of £7.5k but the buyer will have to pay £230 on top of that to cover the dealers expenses to put the car on the ferry and deliver it IE side

Are you referring to UK car import? https://ukcarimports.ie/

I asked a few questions about them before, seem to have a few Leafs

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    The way I read it is that the dealer agreed the price of £7.5k but the buyer will have to pay £230 on top of that to cover the dealers expenses to put the car on the ferry and deliver it IE side

Yes this is what I meant, it cuts out the hassle part of driving it back through the UK but to err on the side of caution and view it personally might be the better option considering it's a lot of cash.

They offer free delivery anywhere in the U.K. Mainland, the man I dealt then said they can deliver it to Liverpool docks for free 'however there would be an additional cost of 230.00 to send it across to Ireland as unaccompanied freight'.

Advertisement