Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Life of Sparky the e-Golf

Options
  • 29-03-2017 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I think I might be the only e-Golf owner on boards so to try and persuade a few people to join me I have started this thread, I will update as I go along...Car is 151 e-Golf , 3.3kw charger with 26.5kWh battery.

Would like to thank everyone for the advice here, a few of my friends think I am nuts...I posted here on 15th of Feb and had car bought nearly a month later. My experience of electric is a weekend test drive of a Leaf...so you might say limited

I will say I am surprised there is not a lot more of these cars on the road. Very high spec and very comfy. I love the look of it but I have had Passat/Golf/A6/A3 in life so far so Golf Electric was easiest transition.

Picked up car yesterday and 150km range on clock with full charge.

Was on motorway at start so opened it up a bit and similar to Leaf was killing the battery. Once in cruise mode it settled down.

First error made. Battery was at 60km when I got home so I plugged in granny charger. Set up car-net and put up profile to charge only on night rate. I was thinking I was the right smart ar*e.

Checked app this morning and 60km range. F**k f**k f**k. I got a bit of power in before I left, stopped off for 20 mins at Dunboyne train station and then spent the day with car in low power mode which got me to work and then home with 5km left on car:P:P:P

Anyway just over 24 hours done. I did take it for a 20 min spin on back road earlier after a bit of a charge. It is dream to drive and alot more responsive in corner compared to previous Golf. Can't really comment on rest of driving as majority was in lowest power mode so it was good :P

One question, how do I pick out where a fast charger is from the app?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The biggest complaint about them seems to be the excessive price on them. Was it reasonable relative to Leaf/Ioniq/Golf diesel?

On the app you use the filter on the top left corner and only turn on the one blue checkbox that matches the Golf.... is it CCS it has?

From the inside of the eGolf does it look and feel the same as a petrol/diesel Golf?

I also see the energy efficient heat pump is a €1k optional extra :eek: Does yours have that?

Throw up a few pics, I havent seen a "real" one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well the Leaf is cheaper. You are probably talking 5k cheaper for SVE model versus the Golf. The Ioniq I have no idea as cant tell what depreciation would have been. In terms of e-Golf v diesel Golf they are similar priced based on quick looks at carzone. I didn't do a full analysis versus standard Golf. I did try and price new e-Golf but was harder than you would think. I ended up only getting a confirmed price for the Hybrid Golf.

The Ioniq is a lot lower to ground, my wife preferred the Golf because of this.

As far as I know it is CCS but as mentioned new to all this. Need to work that out, I charged from the same place as I connect the Leaf to at the train station

Inside is look and feel of Golf, alot more features than the previous model I had but very familiar. The last model I had was 2.0ltr diesel which was far too big of an engine for a Golf. It was quick or so I though. The e-Golf is a lot faster. Not on motorway at 120km but at lower speeds which is what I bought it for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It would appear (in the US anyway) that if you have a 3.3kw car then it doesn't have CCS? Over there the optional fast charge upgrade gives CCS and ~7kw charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,082 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You kept that quiet, we didn't see that coming!

Well wear. e-Golf is a very decent EV by all means. Haven't driven it myself but have read good reviews. Bjørn Nyland liked it, he was impressed with the build quality, cabin noise and the way it drives. And he has driven all EVs for many, many miles. Range of the e-Golf is not great, similar to Mk2 Leaf? I'm always surprised that the e-Golf is rarely mentioned here.

How much did you pay for it?

n97 mini wrote: »
    It would appear (in the US anyway) that if you have a 3.3kw car then it doesn't have CCS? Over there the optional fast charge upgrade gives CCS and ~7kw charging.

Just read a UK review. Also says CCS is optional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

If you have rapid charging it will be easy to tell, you'll have a CCS scket. Does your charger socket look like this
    css_combo.png
    As far as I was aware it only sold with rapid over here so should be.

Why isn't there more owners? Simple it's really over priced compared to the Leaf. Similar to the i3 but at least with an i3 you'll get far more performance than the Leaf. eGolf would be very much the same as a Leaf, just dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I didn't even consider the e-golf because of the price. They are a nice car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

All the best with the car, the Golf does look nice.

However...
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As far as I know it is CCS but as mentioned new to all this. Need to work that out, I charged from the same place as I connect the Leaf to at the train station

You bought an EV without knowing whether it had fast charging capability???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

AFAIK CCS is standard in Ireland on the e-Golf.

Yeah... the only reason they're not popular is the price, the restricted number of dealers selling them and those dealers pushing people away from them.

If it's Phil's one then it has CCS.

To see where there are rapid chargers for CCS you need to change the filters in the ecars map/app as it defaults to chademo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

goz83 wrote: »
    I didn't even consider the e-golf because of the price. They are a nice car though.

This. I took a look at the 2015 e-Golf before deciding to go with the Passat diesel for not many more dollars after walking into the VW showroom fairly intent on the e-Golf. Getting the Passat was a decision I in no way regret.

With the Passat being retired next year, I'm already hunting around a bit for the replacement. I'm afraid to say that for the price for the equipment options, the Focus and Ioniq are both ahead of it on the shopping list. VW needs to bring the price down to compete for my business: If the Ford doesn't get it, the Hyundai will.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    All the best with the car, the Golf does look nice.

However...

You bought an EV without knowing whether it had fast charging capability???

I know it can fast charge. I just dont know where and how to fast charge:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

s.welstead wrote: »
    If it's Phil's one then it has CCS.

To see where there are rapid chargers for CCS you need to change the filters in the ecars map/app as it defaults to chademo.

It is Phil's one. The OP posted about it last week.

Unkel, you must be going blind :)

Best of luck OP but you'll have to change the birst cert, I've already christened my Leaf as Sparky :p

unkel wrote: »
    You kept that quiet, we didn't see that coming!

Well wear. e-Golf is a very decent EV by all means. Haven't driven it myself but have read good reviews. Bjørn Nyland liked it, he was impressed with the build quality, cabin noise and the way it drives. And he has driven all EVs for many, many miles. Range of the e-Golf is not great, similar to Mk2 Leaf? I'm always surprised that the e-Golf is rarely mentioned here.

How much did you pay for it?

Car was 22k

Wife was outside today and said it is quieter than the Leaf, it does seem to be from the inside.

The range is circa 150km. Enought to get me around to be honest. Even my weekend trips to Cavan ever so often I should make down on a full tank

s.welstead wrote: »
    If you have rapid charging it will be easy to tell, you'll have a CCS scket. Does your charger socket look like this
    css_combo.png
    As far as I was aware it only sold with rapid over here so should be.

Why isn't there more owners? Simple it's really over priced compared to the Leaf. Similar to the i3 but at least with an i3 you'll get far more performance than the Leaf. eGolf would be very much the same as a Leaf, just dearer.

Thats the socket. I know it can fast charge. I just dont know how to pick on map where they are?

If I open the app I pick StandardType2 to get the normal charge points. If I want fast charge do I pick FastAC43? or ComboCCS? I wasn't sure yesterday so just went to place that I knew would work to top me up

Public charging is not critical. I plan 99% of the time to charge at home. Just if something comes up like yesterday I better figure out how and where to go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ComboCCS

ComboCCS is what you're looking for. Any CCS units will be triple chargers that can also do AC43 (Renault Zoe) and Chademo (Leaf). Both CCS and Chademo use DC charging so can only accommodate 1 of these at a time. SO if you come across a Leaf charging you'll need to wait.
    There's no way you'll get 150km range from the eGolf unless you're doing all local driving at moderate speeds.

Car was 22k

Thanks for getting back! That is big money, a new Leaf would have been cheaper and a new Ioniq only a few grand more

That said, I do recognise the e-Golf is a seriously good car, more upmarket than either Leaf or Ioniq, better interior, and will probably keep its value better. Albeit a car with a fairly limited range (which doesn't bother you and wouldn't really bother me that much either)

SVE/Tekna Leaf has a very nice interior! Shame the Irish spec Ioniq only comes with nylon/plastic interior, so you're right there. Does the e-golf have Leather?

SVE/Tekna Leaf has a very nice interior! Shame the Irish spec Ioniq only comes with nylon/plastic interior, so you're right there. Does the e-golf have Leather?

No leather seats in it, it is material. I had option to buy Leaf, a 171 24kWh SVE Leaf would have cost the same money as the Golf......

Don't really want to get into a Leaf v Golf conversation because it will only end up one way.

• Advertisement

I was really turned off by the lack of options in the Irish Ioniq (choose from 5 colours....2 are grey). I had written to Hyundai Ireland about it and they confirmed that it would not be possible for me to order one with Leather seats, even though the UK customers could. The grey bumper was another turn off and the bev had less spec than the hybrid. That said, I very near ordered one. The sales man killed the sale by not contacting me back about a test drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know it can fast charge. I just dont know where and how to fast charge:P

Go to the ecars esb website, and browse map for the chargers.

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

I was really turned off by the lack of options in the Irish Ioniq (choose from 5 colours....2 are grey). I had written to Hyundai Ireland about it and they confirmed that it would not be possible for me to order one with Leather seats, even though the UK customers could. The grey bumper was another turn off and the bev had less spec than the hybrid. That said, I very near ordered one. The sales man killed the sale by not contacting me back about a test drive.

Hyundai Fairview had a leather hybrid Ioniq. I think it was 2k extra. If they can do it on the Hybrid they can do it on the Full electric

For whatever reason with Hyundai they never seem to have leather as option. I went to buy an ix35 a few years back and it was same, company would do for 2k. My mate bought the Santa Fei and had to get leather added to it by another company

Height was the issue with Ioniq. Also the slopping seat in back, putting kids in and out of seat would become a problem for Misses. Otherwise I would be driving one now.

Leather is overrated anyway. Having had leather in nearly all of my cars, I'm looking forward to having cloth this time. Leather should of course be an option, it usually is as a manufacturer makes far more margin on options than on the car itself.

I get the impression that the demand for the Ioniq is far higher than the supply, so they have to impose restrictions on what you can order so they can maximise production. Obviously increasing production is not possible for them at this time (dunno why not)

Leather is overrated anyway. Having had leather in nearly all of my cars, I'm looking forward to having cloth this time. Leather should of course be an option, it usually is as a manufacturer makes far more margin on options than on the car itself.

I get the impression that the demand for the Ioniq is far higher than the supply, so they have to impose restrictions on what you can order so they can maximise production. Obviously increasing production is not possible for them at this time (dunno why not)

It does depend on the leather of course. I loved the leather in the A6

The leather used on other model cars to be honest is uncomfortable and I don't like it. Sat into a Hybrid Toyota C-HR with leather and it was horrible.

Aye, I had a '96 BMW 7-series with the seats upgraded to electric memory comfort seats with nappa leather. An £8k upgrade when the car was new :D

They were lovely alright!

If they can produce it as an option in the UK, they can do it for here too. They just decided that it was easier to have no options and take advantage of the fact that orders were going to be out the door anyway. I was annoyed that the Irish were getting treated as second class buyers.

Home charge point installed. Happy days!!!!

Leather is overrated anyway.

Having ordered a plastic interior you're not biased either!

Have had leather in every car since '06. You generally get the top spec with leather, so it's not just about the leather itself. And if you have young kids then the leather pays for itself in terms of cleaning.

• Advertisement

If they can produce it as an option in the UK

You know well it is not an option in the UK. There are two trim levels, the higher one has leather. If you order the higher one, the wait is even several months longer. I agree though that there's no reason Ireland couldn't have the same two trim levels (we only get the lower one without leather)

You also know you can order leather in Ireland, but it will be fitted at dealer level, not from factory
    if you have young kids then the leather pays for itself in terms of cleaning.

I've had young kids for the past 13 years and all our family cars during this time came with leather. In all that time, one of the kids puked. Once. Not on the leather but on the carpet in the footwell. Leather is overrated in my experience. Also not comfy when it is warm and not comfy when it is cold. Looking forward to cloth. Hope the kids won't start puking now :p

Advertisement