Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

KCross wrote: »
    As suggested, have a read but I'd also suggest you start a new thread with your questions otherwise you will be reading a very long time trying to find all the answers. Put your circumstances in the OP... Daily mileage, budget, type of driving, reasons for EV etc

The mod is working on some stickies which should make it easier but for now open a new thread.

Poster with own property drives across south west town a few times a day and has diesel ice for long journeys and posters warn them off EV.

Read their threads he is ripe for a EV vehicle the whole warning people off it doesn't pan out in every situation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

listermint wrote: »
    Poster with own property drives across south west town a few times a day and has diesel ice for long journeys and posters warn them off EV.

Read their threads he is ripe for a EV vehicle the whole warning people off it doesn't pan out in every situation

I agree totally, I read his OP. He is ideal for an EV. Just suggesting he start a new thread to get the info he needs as obviously he will have alot of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Eh, hang on there:p I'm NOT 'warning him off'. I'm suggesting he informs himself and makes an informed decision. Since going the EV route, I've had lots of questions from friends/family/workmates (sound familiar?) - many enthusiastic but then again, many saying they wouldn't put up with certain inconveniences that comes with it. What's right for you or me may not be right for someone else.
    If it was as simple as that, why is there less than 1% of the car driving public driving around in Ev's then?

Eh, hang on there:p I'm NOT 'warning him off'. I'm suggesting he informs himself and makes an informed decision. Since going the EV route, I've had lots of questions from friends/family/workmates (sound familiar?) - many enthusiastic but then again, many saying they wouldn't put up with certain inconveniences that comes with it. What's right for you or me may not be right for someone else.

If it was as simple as that, why is there less than 1% of the car driving public driving around in Ev's then?

Well there are a multitude of reasons carbon tax diesel tax and terrible sales attitude. None of which have any indication it's a bad technology just bad information.

Posters not reading another posters actual post content and warning them off doesn't really help.

Read what their saying and advise accordingly...

Tis not really rocket science

Posters not reading another posters actual post content and warning them off doesn't really help.

Read what their saying and advise accordingly...
    We read the same thing and came to the same conclusions most likely. However, it's not YOUR or MY decision - it's his. Like I tried to point out to you in the last post, many people will be faced with the same decision and they won't all make the same buying decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Even if you'd like everyone to drop their diesel and go EV, I feel it's better to go about it the right way. Inform people of the good as well as the bad points and limitations of owning an EV

There's a story going around that a family member tells everyone. Someone he knows was talked into buying a Tesla Model S. Spent big bucks, hated it (for unspecified reasons) and sold it back to the seller a few days later for a loss of €30k. You can see people shiver when they hear this story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

unkel wrote: »
    Even if you'd like everyone to drop their diesel and go EV, I feel it's better to go about it the right way. Inform people of the good as well as the bad points and limitations of owning an EV

There's a story going around that a family member tells everyone. Someone he knows was talked into buying a Tesla Model S. Spent big bucks, hated it (for unspecified reasons) and sold it back to the seller a few days later for a loss of €30k. You can see people shiver when they hear this story :D

I wonder if this is a story many families tell. I wouldn't believe it, but yes, it is very important that people understand what they are getting into when considering buying an EV.

Do you think that's true?

And of it is it sounds like someone can afford it and I feel little sympathy tbh

And of it is it sounds like someone can afford it and I feel little sympathy
    You don't see the irony? You've already decided for someone else that EV is the way to go (and you can't possibly know that is the case for THEM) and you have no sympathy for someone who didn't think a buying decision through?

You don't see the irony? You've already decided for someone else that EV is the way to go (and you can't possibly know that is the case for THEM) and you have no sympathy for someone who didn't think a buying decision through?

I've decided nothing.

The person put up why they think it's for them . Their own words indicated they wanted to go EV and they're is no drawbacks base on what that poster said.

Hilarious..

• Advertisement

I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Brilliant I'd say, watch out in 2 yrs for low mileage Leaf's well taken care of, could be a last purchase before the drop dead Brexit

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701171376441?maximum-mileage=20000&year-from=2014&advertising-location=at_cars&model=LEAF&make=NISSAN&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=l43sr&radius=1500&page=2

Seems like a bargain, won't be buying it. There doesn't seem to be an option on autorader to filter out the flex models too which is annoying

Link doesn't seem to work, 2015, acenta 13k miles, 9.5k pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz83 wrote: »
    Fixed Link

It's still broken for both of you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's still broken for both of you

Working for me on PC, Wouldn't work earlier form phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't know if this link will work properly for some, but does the panel gap around the bonnet seem off?

media?id=aab3f20a316049e4b57e12cc74b430f9

Yup and up along the light lines as well.

Yes right is tighter than left.

Check the struts or hinge hasn't been adjusted either side.

Then check the front wing bolts for any marks or wear .

Does not appear to be factory finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

She's in the UK Listermint, so I'll not be checking her at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

anyone recommend a place to purchase a wall charger for ev , have my eye on a renault fluence ze, advice apprecited, cheers

chris1970 wrote: »
    anyone recommend a place to purchase a wall charger for ev , have my eye on a renault fluence ze, advice apprecited, cheers
    Is it worth your while given the monthly battery rental cost?

Hope you know what you're getting, chris1970!

They are not a bad car, but there is no fast charging, the range is tiny (maybe 60km) and as isnottheword says, you pay about €1,000 a year in battery rental

As long as that suits you and you get it very cheap, it could still be a good buy. But think maybe €3-€4k for a 2012 Fluence ZE or something like that. An early Leaf ('11) wouldn't have any of these severe limitations and would be no more than €6k-€7k in comparison

Twizy - are these any good?

€3,600 asking for a '12 with battery included. Will cost just about zero to own. Battery and car still under 5 year warranty?

Edit - ad says NCT '18, but not according to the NCT website. Are these exempt? What way can they charge and what range have they?

YmQ2OTBiNWMzMDU3MTEyNTE5MjFjZGYwMTY2YjgyOTG5IeStOqqzRBY4zz-k0j1IaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDU4ODk2N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

€3,600 asking for a '12 with battery included. Will cost just about zero to own. Battery and car still under 5 year warranty?

Edit - ad says NCT '18, but not according to the NCT website. Are these exempt? What way can they charge and what range have they?

YmQ2OTBiNWMzMDU3MTEyNTE5MjFjZGYwMTY2YjgyOTG5IeStOqqzRBY4zz-k0j1IaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MDU4ODk2N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

First NCT in 2016, so 2018 sounds about right.
    Unless the seller plans to put it through and is waiting on a date.

Linky

I dont know anything about them but I would say that I wouldnt drive it on the open road. A crash in that and its surely all over? Its a motorbike with a cover! :)

I see some management companies in business parks etc use them for zipping around which would be fine... but on the open road... no thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    First NCT in 2014, again in 2016, so 2018 sounds about right.

First NCT in 2016 and that's what it says on the NCT website. So probably never tested. But do they need a test or are they classified as a quadricycle and excempt?

@Kcross - dunno, probably safer than some cars I have owned over the years. And much safer than a bicycle or motorbike :)

Twizy would not be for me, but it looks like it might be a very cheap means of city area commuting for someone.

First NCT in 2016 and that's what it says on the NCT website. So probably never tested. But do they need a test or are they classified as a quadricycle and excempt?

Sorry, just noticed my date mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

€2800 50 a month battery charge, lovely car to drive , just around town really, kids to and from school, our c4 desiel 1.6 is lovely but not a town car, range is 62km as of not but surely the battery is balls after 5 year , it's says range is 150km on Wikipedia, is this lies or new battery? Hopefully get it replaced under terms of battery lease. Cheers for the info

Advertisement