Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Horse races are quite grand and are held in high esteem in some circles over here. I hate to ask, but did something tragic happen to Syncronised? I remember watching one horse race where two horses each broke a leg and had to be put down on the track. :(
    Yeah poor Synchronised, he won a huge race 4 weeks ago and he's only a small horse and the fences at Aintree today are very demanding so some thought he may not have been suited and before the start he threw his jockey off and galloped away, sometimes when the horse does this connections might withdraw him and I guess a few people think he should have been withdrawn. Very sad because he's a right battler but today he fell at the 6th or 7th fence but seemed to get up ok after it, so I'm not sure if he then tried to jump sth else which caused him harm
    http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?race_id=546536&r_date=2012-04-14&horse_id=699204#topHorseTabs=photo_tab_content&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form
    Thank you for your kind comments pre-race and for your kind comment now. I have unfinished business, however, where my time is concerned so I am chomping at the bit (;)) to do my next marathon. I have my eye on one that I discovered last night surfing the web, but it's only 5 weeks away from tomorrow. The course is PB friendly and they have pacers, so I am considering it very seriously.

You're obviously in great shape but as others have already said, be careful, when I got back into running for the 1000th time a few years ago, I ran 3 marathons in 9 weeks and I thought everything was great but a few months later and everything had gone pear shaped.
    I think how Krusty approaches his training should be the blue print for all and I reckon he'd be taking it easy for the next month before hitting a 6 week 10k plan and then going again for the marathon.
    All great things come to those who wait and all that (says Mr impatience, I want everything now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woddle wrote: »
    Yeah poor Synchronised, he won a huge race 4 weeks ago and he's only a small horse and the fences at Aintree today are very demanding so some thought he may not have been suited and before the start he threw his jockey off and galloped away, sometimes when the horse does this connections might withdraw him and I guess a few people think he should have been withdrawn. Very sad because he's a right battler but today he fell at the 6th or 7th fence but seemed to get up ok after it, so I'm not sure if he then tried to jump sth else which caused him harm
    http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?race_id=546536&r_date=2012-04-14&horse_id=699204#topHorseTabs=photo_tab_content&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form

You're obviously in great shape but as others have already said, be careful, when I got back into running for the 1000th time a few years ago, I ran 3 marathons in 9 weeks and I thought everything was great but a few months later and everything had gone pear shaped.
    I think how Krusty approaches his training should be the blue print for all and I reckon he'd be taking it easy for the next month before hitting a 6 week 10k plan and then going again for the marathon.
    All great things come to those who wait and all that (says Mr impatience, I want everything now :D

Horse racing is not for the faint of heart.

I am with you on the immediate gratification thing. !!!!!! However, your 3 marathons in 9 weeks is a bit mad. ;) I must ask, how did your times compare in those 3 races? Did they improve with each race or get slower?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Horse racing is not for the faint of heart.

I am with you on the immediate gratification thing. !!!!!! However, your 3 marathons in 9 weeks is a bit mad. ;) I must ask, how did your times compare in those 3 races? Did they improve with each race or get slower?

Before he answers I reckon the second was the fastest and the last was there or thereabouts with the first. Total Guess

Not the point :D but yep

1st-3'55 - Longford
    2nd-3:41 - Berlin
    3rd-3:37 - Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

1st-3'55 - Longford

Just as well Brian didn't swoop in with odds.:mad:

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just as well Brian didn't swoop in with odds.:mad:

Yeah but he would have got it back in the next match up. I had a couple of races after those marathons, sub 70 ten miler a 19'25 5k and was planning on a 3'15 in Paris and ran 4'05

1st-3'55 - Longford

You know, you're giving me fuel to do that race in 5 weeks. ;)

Nice improvements, by the way. Now I have to ask.....how many weeks between each?

And ouch - Paris. Why a 4:05?

You know, you're giving me fuel to do that race in 5 weeks. ;)

Nice improvements, by the way. Now I have to ask.....how many weeks between each?

Yeah but that was 2008 and I've done sweet FA since :D

Long - 24/8
    Berlin - 28/9
    Dublin - 27/10

And ouch - Paris. Why a 4:05?

Many a reason, my wife took my garmin out of the bag I had packed on the bed (she said she didn't but I know she's telling fibs) and I got threatened with legal action from my x business partner the same week I was travelling and I let the stress get to me plus (all those doing Paris on the weekend please look away)...Paris is shlt, narrow roads and over crowded :D I feel better

Paris race report, sorry about the language and terrible spelling. I just re-read it and man I hate Paris
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59699005&postcount=706

• Advertisement

Many a reason, my wife took my garmin out of the bag I had packed on the bed (she said she didn't but I know she's telling fibs) and I got threatened with legal action from my x business partner the same week I was travelling and I let the stress get to me plus (all those doing Paris on the weekend please look away)...Paris is shlt, narrow roads and over crowded :D I feel better

If you feel better, then I'm glad I asked. ;);)

If you feel better, then I'm glad I asked. ;);)

:D
    Yeah a few people laugh at me when I go on about Paris. Paris broke me and I only feel like now after the Berlin half last week that I've truly left it behind.

OK that's me I'm off to scholars, please have Kopparberg.

:D
    Yeah a few people laugh at me when I go on about Paris. Paris broke me and I only feel like now after the Berlin half last week that I've truly left it behind.

Some times you really need something to tick you off so you can find what you're made of. Berlin was brilliant, and sounds like it was the closure to Paris that you needed. Well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

When are you kicking off your track season? Can't be long now.

04072511 wrote: »
    When are you kicking off your track season? Can't be long now.

16th of May with a 1500m graded meet and €50 in my pocket courtesy of your mate BD :D

I had to go collect the car and had an easy 5 miler planned but Emily wanted to come so I took a more direct route which worked out at 2.5 miles, Emilys longest run ever by a 1/4 of a mile, she was well chuffed.
    Then a quick drive home and Kate was ready for a 1 mile run, she's slowly getting into it now and will be joining Emily and myself up at the club shortly.

A few pages back I wrote that I'd be doing my long runs on a Monday from now on. A few reasons for this. It allows me to do my sessions on a Wednesday and a Saturday with plenty of daylight between the two and it means I'm not rushing and stressing to make the juveniles training on Tue/Thur.
    The other reason for a Monday is it's a great way to start the week with a big chunk of your mileage done and a start as you mean to go on attitude.

So 9.37 miles (not quite long enough to be classified as a real lsr but I was told 80 mins :D at 8'32 pace, AHR 157, probably would have been closer to 155 but for legging it at the end into a headwind.

Really enjoyable run and my legs felt really good.
    I've been a bit bored of my old routes so made another one today which included the Terenure 5 course, very windy here and if it's like that on the day I'll be looking for Belcarra again.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168845309

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've been a bit bored of my old routes so made another one today which included the Terenure 5 course, very windy here and if it's like that on the day I'll be looking for Belcarra again.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168845309

That's the old Terenure 5 course, the new one is different. We'll be running up Wainsfort Road instead of Whitehall, might be a little less windy...

I finished up early at the track on Tuesday night so I decided to go for a game of indoor footy. I remember how sore I was after the last time so I did take it a little easier... but still, I woke up this morning a little sore and was hoping it wouldn't upset my planned session and glad to say it didn't.

I met up with meno and another couple of lads for this and I must say meno looks in good nick Ray :D

A little shy of 2 miles of a warm up and then it was straight into 2(6x400m) off 100m jog recovery and a 400m jog recovery between sets.
    I decided on a 1:35 - 1:40 range as I knew the 100m recoveries would be tough going but decided not to look at the watch and just go by feel.

Splits
    93, 94, 93, 94, 96, 95

The 400m recovery came at the perfect time.

Next set
    94, 97, 95, 99, 95, 93

After these we did a 200m slow walk back and then got stuck into 3x150. The 150s were broken down into 1st 50m at 1 mole pace, 2nd 50 at 800m and the last 50m at 400m pace. Not sure how close I was to these paces (probably nowhere close) but I did move through the gears well while holding form.

150 splits
    26, 27, 25

A little over a mile of a cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

After these we did a 200m slow walk back and then got stuck into 3x150. The 150s were broken down into 1st 50m at 1 mole pace, 2nd 50 at 800m and the last 50m at 400m pace. Not sure how close I was to these paces (probably nowhere close) but I did move through the gears well while holding form.

150 splits
    26, 27, 25

A little over a mile of a cool down.

Did you get under your target :D

I met up with meno and another couple of lads for this and I must say meno looks in good nick Ray :D

I'm wise to your game, you're just trying to move the betting market and make a killing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm wise to your game, you're just trying to move the betting market and make a killing :pac:

He's hardly going to get any betters odds on you than the 6/1 already on offer :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter if brian offer 100/1 on you ray. every penny bet on you beating me is burning money.

What the heck is "indoor footy"?! :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    every penny bet on you beating me is burning money.

keep it up meno, maybe by Saturday you'll have yourself convinced :D
    What the heck is "indoor footy"?! :o

also known as "soccer played in a sports hall", also known as "injury waiting to happen"

Fri 20th
    Just over 4 miles at 8:45 pace with 3x20 secs, AHR 150

Sat 21st
    4.2 at 8:05 pace, AHR 162
    This included 1500 meters at about 4:05 per K pace. I was attemting a 10k time trial but my garmin went and I was not starting again. I also had a sore throat (uncomfortable to swallow) so probably best.

Sun 22nd
    7 miles
    Despite the sore throat the body felt well so I decided I'd do 3x3k. After the first rep the garmin went but I didn't have much left in me. My throat was really starting to annoy me but I still planned to finish the 10 miles out but soon after 5 mile mark (I think) I decided to head home, felt like crap.

Mon 23rd
    Rest

Tue 24th
    5 miles at 8:56 pace, AHR 153
    Felt OK

Wed 25th
    Rest or to be more accurate, just lazy.

Thu 26th
    8 plus miles
    Having had a couple of bad attempts over the weekend at sessions I really wanted to nail one tonight. So I picked sth that would be a challenge but that I know I'll see out. A pyramid of 3k, 2k , 1k. The recovery would be a walk jog till I felt I could go again.

3kish
    Lap 1 - 4'05, AHR 175
    Lap 2 - 4'10, AHR 183
    Lap 3 - 4'06, AHR 184

2kish
    Lap 4 - 4'07, AHR 177
    Lap 5 - 4'08, AHR 186

1kish
    Lap 6 - 3'56, AHR 177, I thought I was running at 4'20 plus pace so tried to put the boot down with 300m to go. Happy to see the rep under 4.

I had a 2 mile warmp up and 2 mile cool down at 9'35 pace, AHR 150.

I've been very lazy over the last couple of months, I have a pretty crap attention span, so maybe more short term goals :D
    First one being a PB in the graded meet in 3 wks time, surely I can keep it going for 3 weeks...

First one being a PB in the graded meet in 3 wks time

In the 1500?

RayCun wrote: »
    In the 1500?

Yep, 5'14 from the same race back in 2009 :eek: plus I can't let meno totally hammer me.

Legs tired after yesterdays effort so a nice recovery 5 miler at 9'25 pace, AHR 150. Probably do the same again in the morn and a longer run on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Just over 5 at 8'52 pace, AHR 150 plus 3x20 second strides
    Lovely run up to and around marlay park, now off to Dundrum to get the latest issue of running times

Advertisement