Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Interesting and I've a few more weeks to get more info.

Just shy of 5 miles with Raycun today at 8'25 pace.
    A really enjoyable run and great to have made plans as if I hadn't I wouldn't have got up.
    The baby was very bold and annoying last night and caused me to miss out on some well needed sleep.

My calves are still giving me some grief but the wearing of the calf guards during the run definitely helped.

Evens to break any one of those times
    5/2 to break 2 of them
    6/1 to break all 3

You on?

:D
    Yeah we still have an unresolved bet from last year.

Right well give me exact times and tell me what's the plan and lets get down to some serious action :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Woddle wrote: »
    :D
    Yeah we still have an unresolved bet from last year.

Right well give me exact times and tell me what's the plan and lets get down to some serious action :D

Kclub 10k
    21/4

Sub 42:00

Leixlip 5k
    5/5

Sub 19:30

Sportsworld 5m
    13/5

Sub 33:00

so Evens to break any one of these (you don't have to pick), 5/2 for 2 or more of them, 6/1 for all 3 of them. If you miss one through injury all bets are off unless you've already won. Max bet 20 on the first one, tenner on the other 2.

and they have to be these exact races.

i think you owe me €10 from last year (when you couldnt get the job done in the mile :D) so what dyou want?

i think you owe me €10 from last year (when you couldnt get the job done in the mile :D) so what dyou want?

That's right, sorry bout that. I'll give it to meno when I see him next and he can give it to you.

I'd go with a tenner at 6/1 but I'd feel bad taking your money :D but I do know you're rarely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

How much can i get on the 33mins for 5miles? I reckon that is the easier of the three:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's right, sorry bout that. I'll give it to meno when I see him next and he can give it to you.

I'd go with a tenner at 6/1 but I'd feel bad taking your money :D but I do know you're rarely wrong.

no need to give me money so that €10 is now the stake. So if you win, brian owes you 60 and if you lose you owe him €20.

Brian what happens if woddle has to pull out of one of the races? does it become a 5/2 bet on the other 2?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    How much can i get on the 33mins for 5miles? I reckon that is the easier of the three:D

Yeah I think the sub 42 is easiest, then the 5 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Yeah I think the sub 42 is easiest, then the 5 miler

Easy is relative at that pace ;-)

Yeah €10 at 6/1 is fine with me.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    no need to give me money so that €10 is now the stake. So if you win, brian owes you 60 and if you lose you owe him €20.

Brian what happens if woddle has to pull out of one of the races? does it become a 5/2 bet on the other 2?

No if he wins i owe him 50, if he loses he owes me 20.

No if he pulls out of any of the three the bets cancelled, even if he's already done 2 of them. I'm taking accumulated race fatigue/random bad days into account when i'm pricing it up ;)

For you, 4/6 :D

No if he pulls out of any of the three the bets cancelled, even if he's already done 2 of them. I'm taking accumulated race fatigue/random bad days into account when i'm pricing it up ;)

Love it

• Advertisement

No if he wins i owe him 50, if he loses he owes me 20.

For a normal 6/1 bet you'd get €70 back. €60 winning plus your stake back. Since the stake is being waivered, surely it's €60 back if he wins?

menoscemo wrote: »
    For a normal 6/1 bet you'd get €70 back. €60 winning plus your stake back. Since the stake is being waivered, surely it's €60 back if he wins?

He's not giving me the €10 stake up front though. So 60 winnings minus then 10 from last years bet. Trust me i've been doing this since aged 9 ;)

Trust me i've been scamming people since aged 9 ;)

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

For you, 4/6 :D

Cheers:P you're worse than PP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Kclub 10k
    21/4

Sub 42:00

Leixlip 5k
    5/5

Sub 19:30

Sportsworld 5m
    13/5

Sub 33:00

so Evens to break any one of these (you don't have to pick), 5/2 for 2 or more of them, 6/1 for all 3 of them. If you miss one through injury all bets are off unless you've already won. Max bet 20 on the first one, tenner on the other 2.

and they have to be these exact races.

Its a trick Evs should pay 3s for a double and 7s for the treble dont let him cheat you who does he think he is PP:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Its a trick Evs should pay 3s for a double and 7s for the treble dont let him cheat you who does he think he is PP:D
    And he is quoting 6's but paying out as if it were 4's. As my father always said 'never trust a bookie'

ecoli wrote: »

And if Messi was evens for the world cup golden boot and Argentina were evens for the world cup would you give 3/1 on the double? Of course not. You of course should know that the 2 are related.

If Woddle breaks one, there is an excellent chance he'll break the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

And if Messi was evens for the world cup golden boot and Argentina were evens for the world cup would you give 3/1 on the double? Of course not. You of course should know that the 2 are related.

If Woddle breaks one, there is an excellent chance he'll break the other 2.

Same tournament there, these are three seperate comps as weather and training/family influencing factors. Not related :D Prices would be slashed after but dont affect the treble. If he runs sub 19.30 coming through to a sub 42 however would be related.

Shouldn't argue though. You dont beat the bookie:p

I took friday and saturday off in the hope that my calves would sort their shlt out before I start the next training phase on monday. So up early to see how they've responded and they are still sore. Not sore enough to stop you running but sore enough that you're thinking about it on nearly every step.

9.33 miles at 8'45 pace, AHR 169

Heart rate a little high so next two days will be recovery runs and then sessions will be wednesdays and saturdays and long runs will be mondays (but not tomorrow).

5 miles with a friend at 8'18 pace, AHR 166

A little bit faster than I would have liked but it felt grand and was able to chat easily the whole way round but definitely going to get back into the habit of easy days easy <150 and hard days hard.
    And some good news...calves feel good for the first time in a long time.

First session tomorrow, can't wait.
    6x800 followed by 3x200 both off 200m recovery

• Advertisement

Race|PBs|Bookies times
    K club 10k|44'10|<42
    Leixlip 5k|19'25|<19'30
    sportsworld 5m|33'07|<33

Some nice targets for the next couple of weeks :D

First session tomorrow, can't wait.
    6x800 followed by 3x200 both off 200m recovery

This went ok. Jogging the recovery was tough going and after the 4th rep I started walking the 200m recovery.

splits
    3'08, 3'12, 3'14, 3'16, 3'15, 3'15

Then for the 200s I walked a 100m and jogged a 100m for the recovery

splits
    39, 40, 37

The 800s were supposed to be 3'10 but I kept fading in the last 400m of each rep. I felt a little sluggish starting and didn't really feel in the groove so overall happy enough to get it done and not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That looks like a tough session there Woddle but probably accurate for the times you are hoping for I guess!

It'll be interesting to see the difference between both of our times this year compared to last year for Sportsworld!!

belcarra wrote: »
    That looks like a tough session there Woddle but probably accurate for the times you are hoping for I guess!

It'll be interesting to see the difference between both of our times this year compared to last year for Sportsworld!!

Today was ok, a little disappointed with the splits as when I did 1ks a couple a weeks ago the pace was quicker but I had a 2'30 standing recovery compared with todays 90 second jog and later 110 second walk :D

Yeah sportsworld will be interesting for sure, have you a time in mind? you've a super base built up and throw in a few bits of speedwork and you'll be flying.

This went ok. Jogging the recovery was tough going and after the 4th rep I started walking the 200m recovery.

splits
    3'08, 3'12, 3'14, 3'16, 3'15, 3'15

Then for the 200s I walked a 100m and jogged a 100m for the recovery

splits
    39, 40, 37

The 800s were supposed to be 3'10 but I kept fading in the last 400m of each rep. I felt a little sluggish starting and didn't really feel in the groove so overall happy enough to get it done and not too bad.

That sounds identical to me yesterday, albeit I was trying to do the 800's 10 seconds faster.
    I am putting it down to post race fatigue/rustiness though. hopefully we will nail our next sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yeah sportsworld will be interesting for sure, have you a time in mind? you've a super base built up and throw in a few bits of speedwork and you'll be flying.

Haven't zoned in on a time too closely yet but will be hoping for 34.xx. I think I was just over 39mins last year so that would be a good return for the year.
    Different course this year but hopefully it's not as windy as last year!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Haven't zoned in on a time too closely yet but will be hoping for 34.xx. I think I was just over 39mins last year so that would be a good return for the year.
    Different course this year but hopefully it's not as windy as last year!!

It would be a great return and if you were to spend the summer on shorter, faster stuff I reckon 32sth.

I did a run of last years route a week or two before the race and will do the same again this year, I'll give you a shout if you're interested?

Race|PBs|Bookies times
    K club 10k|44'10|<42
    Leixlip 5k|19'25|<19'30
    sportsworld 5m|33'07|<33

Some nice targets for the next couple of weeks :D

Race|PBs|Bookies times
    Wex 10k|44'10|<42
    Leixlip 5k|19'25|<19'30
    sportsworld 5m|33'07|<33

Just a little change to the 10k. We're going to be short of coach/helpers on the 21st for the juvenile league races and given I can't help this saturday I better help out the following weekend so I'll be heading to wexford on the Sunday to race instead. A little annoyed as the K club looks like a great PB course but they the breaks.

Just to add the booky has given me some leeway here. Thanks BD

Race|PBs|Bookies times
    Wex 10k|44'10|<42
    Leixlip 5k|19'25|<19'30
    sportsworld 5m|33'07|<33

Just a little change to the 10k. We're going to be short of coach/helpers on the 21st for the juvenile league races and given I can't help this saturday I better help out the following weekend so I'll be heading to wexford on the Sunday to race instead. A little annoyed as the K club looks like a great PB course but they the breaks.

Just to add the booky has given me some leeway here. Thanks BD

I think the wexford course is suposed to be fast but I don't know, if they send you up the hill in the 10k it might not be. You might be better to try the night race in town the week after instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Fair play. I think anything between 600m and 1k reps are some of the hardest sessions a runner can do. Coming from a Half marathon so good on you!

Advertisement