Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

30 minute run around Marlay this morning, pace at a guess was probably 7:30 and it felt good. I'll mess around for the week before getting back into Hadd.

Also I don't know if it's because I'm doing a lot of drills with the kids throughout the week but I feel like my form has really improved and I'm running very smooth (or at least I think I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Welcome back! Straight back to 7:30s is good going. Will have to get out for a few runs
    Woddle wrote: »
    30 minute run around Marlay this morning, pace at a guess was probably 7:30 and it felt good. I'll mess around for the week before getting back into Hadd.

Also I don't know if it's because I'm doing a lot of drills with the kids throughout the week but I feel like my form has really improved and I'm running very smooth (or at least I think I am :D

Managed to get a couple of runs in last week, nothing major just easy efforts.

I ran up to marlay park this afternoon and decided to check out the distance of the grass track the kids use and sure while I'm doing that I may aswell make it a time trial, this only occurred to me after I was already a few seconds in, so already there should be some valuable seconds to take off.
    What did I learn from it...I'm faster than an under 12 girl but not an under 13 :D

1:44 for 520+meters
    Enjoyable and a lovely day for it, still wearing a bit of a tomato face though.

Just a 4 miler tonight, I got to a turn on the road and without thinking took the shorter way home.
    Finished with a 6:27 mile but that was all out, no way I could do another 2.1 miles at that pace right now, so plenty of work to be done.

I'm heading to Wexford tomorrow and opportunities to run long will be limited but I plan to get plenty of strides done on the beach with the kids, obviously Emily is coming but we're bringing my 3 little cousins aswell who are all in Tallaght ac, so should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mate good to see ya back on the bandwagon...By chance is that 5km before the 9th of Sept...I wouldn't mind tryin my hand at a sub 20 run :D

• Advertisement

It was but I think that may be too early based on today. I got the sub 20 back in may but have been a bit lazy since plus had cellulitis twice. Good to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Aye...I am not fully back but will try post when I can as it keeps me on track training wise

July - 16 miles
    August - 23 miles
    September - 6 miles

Well that comeback never happened. Two reasons for this
    1. I've been lazy and unmotivated
    2. I've had cellulitus a total of 5 times now and it's been a nightmare

Plan is Raheny for now and try and get close to last Jans time.

Only started back this week.
    Mon - 3 miles at 10 min pace
    Tue - 4 miles at 10 min pace
    Wed - 4.5 miles at 9:15 pace
    Thu - 4.5 miles at 9 min pace

I've really enjoyed my running this week and it feels great to be back and I'm going to do it right and build a base over the next 6 weeks before doing any faster work.
    It was this time last year when I made my last comeback and when I look back over logs from previous years I always seem to go missing in the summer before having a good winter, not sure why this is the case, you'd expect it to be the other way round but I'll take that good winter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

welcome back! (again ;))

Trying to take things slowly is going to be my biggest challenge, I'm getting carried away already.
    I took Friday and Saturday off before getting 5 in on Sunday and then out again this evening for 4.
    Might try an 8 miler on the weekend.

• Advertisement

My form doesn't feel great so planned a few hill sprints to help improve it, aim to do them once a week.

Todays run
    4.5 miles all told. A lot of climbing but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Nice route and good to see you back. Give me a shout if you fancy company on one of those hill runs. I'm not too far from where you run!

Nice route and good to see you back. Give me a shout if you fancy company on one of those hill runs. I'm not too far from where you run!

Sounds good, company is always welcomed, give me another couple of weeks though :D and we can organise an early Saturday or Sunday morning run.

Wednesday - 4.5 at a nice easy pace
    Friday - 5 miles (first 3 at an easy pace, last 2 I needed the toilet)

So far I've done 4 on 2 off, 4 on 1 off and the legs seem to be doing well.

This morning I met a few of the kids up in marlay for a leg shaker. They have their final xc league race tomorrow and the little one is currently 7th or 8th with only 4 points between 5th and 8th. First 6 medal, so she needs a big performance tomorrow.
    I brought my own spikes and ran with a couple of the older kids. I noticed last week that they weren't responding quick enough to a surge and by the time they did the gap was too big, so we played a bit of a game where I'd try and surge and they had 7 Mississippis to tap me on the shoulder, worked well but they had me wrecked.
    Still have to get out later for a proper run.

Got out for only 30 mins Saturday evening and got up at 7am Sunday morning for a very slow 5 miler.
    Then it was on to the Phoenix park for Emily's last league race. She didn't get out as well as last week but still finished 12th in a big field. Dublin champs is next for her and the top 12 get a medal. So she should go close. I've told her it's not the end of the world if she doesn't get it but she's having none of it, it's not even an option in her mind. Got to admire the attitude :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Got out for only 30 mins Saturday evening and got up at 7am Sunday morning for a very slow 5 miler.
    Then it was on to the Phoenix park for Emily's last league race. She didn't get out as well as last week but still finished 12th in a big field. Dublin champs is next for her and the top 12 get a medal. So she should go close. I've told her it's not the end of the world if she doesn't get it but she's having none of it, it's not even an option in her mind. Got to admire the attitude :D

Kevin Ankrom will be hoping the IAAF implement the above in time for the World's in Moscow next year.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Kevin Ankrom will be hoping the IAAF implement the above in time for the World's in Moscow next year.

:D

I think they go with top 12 as that qualifies you to represent your county at national level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

:D

I think they go with top 12 as that qualifies you to represent your county at national level.

In the national XC when I was a kid it use to be top 8 got a medal. I came 6th one year and threw the medal away on the way home. The auld fellah still tells that story to his friends :)

TRR wrote: »
    In the national XC when I was a kid it use to be top 8 got a medal. I came 6th one year and threw the medal away on the way home. The auld fellah still tells that story to his friends :)

She'll have plenty of years to develop that attitude :D but for now she's 8 and can't get near the top girls so small steps and top 12 will have to do

Mon - 5 @ 9'30 pace, AHR 155
    Tue - 5 @ 8'50 pace, AHR 170
    Wed - 5 @ 8'30 pace, AHR 170
    Thu - AM 2.1 @ 7'30 pace, AHR 159 - PM 5 @ 8'00 pace, AHR 174
    Fri - AM 2.1 @ 8'20 pace, AHR 155 - PM 5 @ 9'00 pace, AHR 155
    Sat - 10 @ 8'15, AHR 170

Just shy of 40 miles so far for the week and I must say the most enjoyable week of training that I can remember in a long time. I've started trying to improve my cadence and it's making a huge difference. I've gone from 160 to 180 spm. I've been reading Julian Goater's book and he explains it far better than Jack D did. I reckon I'm running (at a guess) 30 secs a mile quicker for the same effort.
    This mornings run was a confidence booster as well. I had nothing really planned other than covering 10 miles which would be the furthest I'd have run since June. I ran the first mile in 8'20 and then without trying the effort dropped to 7'55, 7'51, 7'39, 7'45. I couldn't even do that back in June when I last tried with meno and I've done shag all since (so has to be the better spm).
    For the 6th mile I was averaging 7'30s and feeling fine but 3/4s of the way into it I saw another runner helping to push a car, so I helped and as I pushed I could feel a stretch on my hamstrings. We pushed for about 500 meters and then I ran the next half mile with the other runner. My legs now felt stiff and my rhythm was all but gone.
    I didn't mind too much as aerobically I still felt good so I decided to use the remaining miles to concentrate on form. I reckon my cadence slowed a little as my legs felt cold and stiff but I still averaged 8'30s.
    My garmin went 3 times throughout the run which was annoying so some of the paces are approximates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sat - 10 @ 8'15, AHR 170

Just shy of 40 miles so far for the week and I must say the most enjoyable week of training that I can remember in a long time. I've started trying to improve my cadence and it's making a huge difference. I've gone from 160 to 180 spm. I've been reading Julian Goater's book and he explains it far better than Jack D did. I reckon I'm running (at a guess) 30 secs a mile quicker for the same effort.
    This mornings run was a confidence booster as well. I had nothing really planned other than covering 10 miles which would be the furthest I'd have run since June. I ran the first mile in 8'20 and then without trying the effort dropped to 7'55, 7'51, 7'39, 7'45. I couldn't even do that back in June when I last tried with meno and I've done shag all since (so has to be the better spm).
    For the 6th mile I was averaging 7'30s and feeling fine but 3/4s of the way into it I saw another runner helping to push a car, so I helped and as I pushed I could feel a stretch on my hamstrings. We pushed for about 500 meters and then I ran the next half mile with the other runner. My legs now felt stiff and my rhythm was all but gone.
    I didn't mind too much as aerobically I still felt good so I decided to use the remaining miles to concentrate on form. I reckon my cadence slowed a little as my legs felt cold and stiff but I still averaged 8'30s.
    My garmin went 3 times throughout the run which was annoying so some of the paces are approximates.

With those paces over those HR readings you may forget what I was suggesting on Facebook :o Note to self: Must look into cadence.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    you may forget what I was suggesting on Facebook
    No no, you said a €100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

No no, you said a €100 :D

Ok when you wipe the floor with me in Berlin, I will accept the €100 compensation. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sat - 10 @ 8'15, AHR 170

Good running D. Now stop pussyfooting around and sign up for a spring marathon would ya :-) i remember well switching to midfoot striking and using short quick strides. It feels great. Next week not good for am runs but would be good to go on some of those 7:XX runs with after that

5 miles at an easy clip.

Very proud of the little one today. 9th overall in the Dublin xc champs out of a huge field. 70 had registered for the u10 girls, don't think they all turned up but it would be close.

Race highlights with a song and not a crazy over the top dad shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Love it!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

5 miles at an easy clip.

Very proud of the little one today. 9th overall in the Dublin xc champs out of a huge field. 70 had registered for the u10 girls, don't think they all turned up but it would be close.

Race highlights with a song and not a crazy over the top dad shouting

It is all down to the pre race nutrition. Steak night before a race would have any 10 year old in tip top shape:D

Congrats to her I say the both of you are happy campers tonight

ecoli wrote: »

Congrats to her I say the both of you are happy campers tonight

Absolutely, Emily's best XC race to date, she was 13th in last years champs. Really tough course aswell, it was down as a 1000 meters but it was closer to 12 or 1300 and some proper hills thrown in aswell. Some great battles aswell, if you look at 3rd and 4th in the video (Bros pearse girl got her) and the girl Emily was closing in on was her cousin but just ran out of room. The girl that won it today looked like she could have gone for another lap.

We went to Captain Americas after and she ate some amount of crap :D

5 miles at 7'26 pace, AHR high (didn't seem to be working properly, maybe too many layers)
    Tough 5 miler

I had no set plan for this run and looked forward to making it up as I went along.
    Myself and Larry have been talking and we're going to get back on schedule but for the next couple of weeks I'm going to play around.
    So a whole minute into my run I get the idea of breaking 36 for 5 miles. It's a tough hilly course but I wanted to test the cadence at a hard effort.
    If I had of thought about a target time beforehand I reckon 37'30 would have been good.
    The mile splits
    7'06 - not bad and some hills in there
    7'33 - more hills and the hardest mile by far
    7'05 - and is the quickest mile of the lot despite traffic issues
    7'14 - half and half

A quick calculation told me I needed a 7 minute mile so I gave up, I was blowing hard and knew it wouldn't happen. Happy enough with the effort though.
    Then while jogging the next half mile I got the idea of running the last half mile at the same pace as the first 4. So I did and began to blow hard again and on finishing puked outside the house 7'19 pace.
    My legs are a little sore but I'm very pleased at the result. I reckon a PB in Raheny is definitely on and I'm over the moon not to be starting back again from the bottom level and am some where in the middle.

Regarding the cadence - felt brilliant, requires a lot of concentration but that in itself is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

build a base over the next 6 weeks before doing any faster work.

we should have opened a book :D

Advertisement