Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck in Berlin! Enjoy the race buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Have fun and enjoy what ever the target is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    Have fun and enjoy what ever the target is.

Thanks everyone

@ Shels the target is sub 1'35, I'm going to try and go through 10 miles in 72ish and not think of it as a half and then see what I can do for the last 5k. I'm in a good place mentally and the body feels good (apart from calf) so I'm hoping for once I don't fcuk it up, I wonder what odds Briandrunner would give on that :D

@belcarra best of luck with sub 6, I reckon you're odds on

@TBB don't do anything silly with that injury, your pacees will understand.

I got to the expo early and picked myself up 2xu calf guards. I had them on for about 6 hours and happy to say that all seems good.
    The weather is a bit mixed,raining on and off, cool and breezy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of out there man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Forgot all about you. Best of luck Dave, hope you get the rewards your training deserves. Race you to a 90 minute half later in the year. :D

Forgot all about you. Best of luck Dave, hope you get the rewards your training deserves. Race you to a 90 minute half later in the year. :D

You win :) I won't be racing longer than 10k for the next year and that's a promise. Maybe we could come up with a figure for dunshaughlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck to you tomorrow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Dave. Fingers crossed for a good result for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Enjoy Dave don't over think it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »
    You win :) I won't be racing longer than 10k for the next year and that's a promise. Maybe we could come up with a figure for dunshaughlin :)

When I catch you in Dunshauglin this year, it won't be you going on ahead. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck out there

1:38:07 happy enough with my time. 15 mins off cork from last year and I won the mental mind games :)
    Now it's time for track baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

1:38:07 happy enough with my time. 15 mins off cork from last year and I won the mental mind games :)
    Now it's time for track baby

Well done on the pb,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good man - monkey well and truly off the back!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good man - monkey well and truly off the back!
    Absolutely, I didn't get anywhere near the sub 1:30 that I felt was possible back in feb but what I did get is a base, confidence and finally killed off the gremlins that have followed me since Paris 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done, good running. Looks like you managed not to fcuk it up anyway :)

Well done, good running. Looks like you managed not to fcuk it up anyway :)
    not as much as usual :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Good stuff man. Now get yourself ready for those 400s, 800s, 1500s and Miles. Good summer ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great to see you back in form, congrats lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle. Cracking running.

Thanks everybody. This race is definitely the turning point.

Berlin half marathon stats.
    You can see from the link I was holding the pace till just after halfway. By 14k any banked time was gone and it looks like I came through 10 miles in 73'06 (a minute over time).
    The last 5/6k was really tough and I briefly considered jogging home from here but I soon copped myself on. I had read tunguskas thread on the mental aspect so I was ready for the negative thoughts. I just concentrated on form, stopped looking at the pace readings on the watch and hoped that by doing this I wouldn't slow down too much. I didn't really have anything left at the end for a fast finish which I think tells me I did the best I could on the day.
    After finishing I sat down to get my breath back and I thought about what could have been. Back in mid Feb I thought I could get close to 90 mins if not even dip under it but a lot of sub par weeks since then (68 miles for all of march) put an end to that. I'm going to let those feelings post race be my fire...
    Ten minutes later and a smile started to break, I was happy with my race.

It's now a week of easy running (hopefully my calves get sorted during this time as they were screaming in pain after the race) before I start training for track 800/1500/mile and I'm really excited by it. I've always felt I'm better at the shorter stuff and now I have to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

super run woddle. Finished strongly despite the demons - great time too.

PS You ran close enough to my old house!

I took monday and tuesday off in the hope that the rest would let my calves get back to a 100% and they felt like they had but then a mile into todays run and they were sore again, probably only a 3 on the pain scale but annoying all the same. I guess I'll be wearing the calf guards for a while.

4.35 miles at 8'40 pace, AHR 149

After this week I have about 5/6 weeks before my first graded meet so I'm going to squeeze a few races in.

Kclub 10k
    21/4
    I'd love to go sub 41 and I think that's a realistic target but I'd be happy with a sub 42.

Leixlip 5k
    5/5
    A sub 19 would be deadly but a backing up of my track sub 20 a few weeks ago would also keep me happy. So maybe I'll meet in the middle and say 19'30.

Sportsworld 5m
    13/5
    I want a sub 33 and do not care for any other time :D

Larry has 6 track workouts scheduled in and around these races so hopefully I'll see a nice jump in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great PB Woddle and best of luck with the three upcoming goals!

neilc wrote: »
    Great PB Woddle and best of luck with the three upcoming goals!

Thanks and super job yourself in Conn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice PB.

Leixlip 5km is a nice race. I'd be a bit aggressive setting a target for that race. Fast course IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

^Agree with this.

Nice racing there D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

After this week I have about 5/6 weeks before my first graded meet so I'm going to squeeze a few races in.

Kclub 10k
    21/4
    I'd love to go sub 41 and I think that's a realistic target but I'd be happy with a sub 42.

Leixlip 5k
    5/5
    A sub 19 would be deadly but a backing up of my track sub 20 a few weeks ago would also keep me happy. So maybe I'll meet in the middle and say 19'30.

Sportsworld 5m
    13/5
    I want a sub 33 and do not care for any other time :D

Larry has 6 track workouts scheduled in and around these races so hopefully I'll see a nice jump in speed.

Evens to break any one of those times
    5/2 to break 2 of them
    6/1 to break all 3

You on?

Advertisement