Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hmm supervised tests can be intimidating and may lead to a lesser score compared to unsupervised. Doesn't mean you cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

py2006 wrote: »
    Hmm supervised tests can be intimidating and may lead to a lesser score compared to unsupervised. Doesn't mean you cheated.
    No offence but if you get so intimidated by taking the exam in an environment where there is a supervisor and others around you. ..how are you going to handle the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

YellowLead wrote: »
    No offence but if you get so intimidated by taking the exam in an environment where there is a supervisor and others around you. ..how are you going to handle the job?

I didn't mean me personally. Some people freak out in exam environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

I didn't mean me personally. Some people freak out in exam environments.

I'd consider that a fairly good sign that they shouldn't be considered good enough to be an EO then.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Internetscour

sinny65 wrote: »
    I sat the clerical officer ones a few months back and could have sworn it was the same as the one we did at home

Me too. Definitely was the same that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Where are the supervised tests usually on in dublin ?

Where are the supervised tests usually on in dublin ?

Always yes. PAS building

So we will be ranked according to County do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

**** it missed the deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

I know for the Garda tests, which are run by PAS and the same companies provide the assessments, you got a 15% margin to allow for the fact the supervised tests are more stressful.

Both times I did the Garda tests we got the same text for round two with slightly different questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Barraldo

I did mine Monday afternoon. I am not confident at all. The verbal reasoning wasn't as clear cut and the numerical was just ridiculous. I did the recent HEO tests and passed both verbal and numerical twice. For the EO test to be so difficult is mad. It's done now and I'm hoping to get through but if I don't I won't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I thought the verbal reasoning seemed easy enough compared to the practice tests, but that makes think I missed something. It felt a little too easy. The Maths on the other hand didn't go so well. I really refreshed my knowledge on %'s so I could do them without even thinking about it but the ratios got me. Haven't done them in about 10 years. Wasn't expecting them and when they popped up I couldn't think clearly when I knew time was ticking. Ah well, worst comes to worst it was still good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

i did CO aswell and it was def the same test i sat in Dub that i did at home

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I did both CO and AO tests- both were same for 2 stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

i always hate the waiting in between stages for results.....not exactly confident that part a went fantastically so just want to know as soon as possible if im in with a shot or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the problem for some with the Numerical reasoning is that people either have an aptitude for maths or they don't. Anyone who typically did honours Maths for the Leaving would have found the Numerical test pretty ok I would think but those who always found Maths in school tough would have struggled with the EO numerical test particularly as it was about speed as well as accuracy.

Verbal Reasoning is more manageable for most but at the same time is less black or white as there can be an argument against a True, False or Cannot Say depending on how you interpret the text passage. I struggled with some as to whether False or Cannot Say was the "right" answer....

Remember the sample question about overhearing a colleague criticising a manager and whether you should intervene. It wasn't clear in the passage whether you were actively eavesdropping on a private conversation or innocently hearing someone loudly complain in an open plan office. I would have needed that additional information to determine what course of action I would have taken...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

yabadabado wrote: »
    Same test again?   That doesn't make sense.

similar type but not the exact same questions.

Its a bit of a joke situation,you have to do numerical and verbal twice and situational once.
    Numerical just needs a pass and doesnt effect your final score but the situational isn't tested again and does go towards your placing.

I realise they are done this way to save money but there has to be a better system.I don't see why they won't time the situational test and have it as a supervised test again.
    Just wondering, I've seen a few people say the same thing as you, that the numerical score doesn't count.  How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

yabadabado wrote: »
    Same test again?   That doesn't make sense.

similar type but not the exact same questions.

Its a bit of a joke situation,you have to do numerical and verbal twice and situational once.
    Numerical just needs a pass and doesnt effect your final score but the situational isn't tested again and does go towards your placing.

I realise they are done this way to save money but there has to be a better system.I don't see why they won't time the situational test and have it as a supervised test again.
    Sorry, meant to say, how do you know that all is needed is a pass score?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

caarp wrote: »

I've been told it's only a pass required in numeric to help keep the gender balance because it's assumed that women aren't as good at maths as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

eroc79 wrote: »
    I've been told it's only a pass required in numeric to help keep the gender balance because it's assumed that women aren't as good at maths as men.

Ah of course...and once the women join the civil service, they will be allocated the typing and filing roles while the men will do the important work like counting numbers...

I think you've been watching too much Mad Men!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

ongarboy wrote: »
    Ah of course...and once the women join the civil service, they will be allocated the typing and filing roles while the men will do the important work like counting numbers...

Well Numerical hasnt counted towards final score in any recent Applications ive completed. You just have to make the pass grade

ongarboy wrote: »

As a female who is normally better at numeric than verbal, I'm not thrilled about the idea that this could be the reason it's discounted but it's the reason I've been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

As a female who is normally better at numeric than verbal, I'm not thrilled about the idea that this could be the reason it's discounted but it's the reason I've been given.
    By PAS?

Wheety wrote: »
    By PAS?

No but it would be interesting if they'd give a straight answer about it.

No but it would be interesting if they'd give a straight answer about it.
    They won't as it's part of their process.

The reason you've been told is not true. I'd imagine the Unions had something to do with it.

Wheety wrote: »
    They won't as it's part of their process.

The reason you've been told is not true. I'd imagine the Unions had something to do with it.

I hope it's not true and yes I do think the unions had a say in the process

Oh, and they could decide to use this year. They have the option, but as has been said, they haven't done it in a long time so I would be very surprised if they changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I suppose it doesn't matter why they only count the maths as pass or fail, the only thing that matters is that they do, and that it's the same for everyone.

You're not at a disadvantage if you're good at maths and it's only pass/fail. Being good at maths is an advantage regardless. If you have really good maths skills I'm sure you can utilise them somewhere (it might not be in the civil service however). If you're good at maths you can capitalise on that cos you know you'll pass and can concentrate on the Verbal Reasoning.

You still need to be good at verbal reasoning, it's no good being just great at maths/numerical.

It is kind of strange when you go to do the supervised tests as your position will always be limited by part A, and all you can improve is your verbal score.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

I suppose it doesn't matter why they only count the maths as pass or fail, the only thing that matters is that they do, and that it's the same for everyone.

You're not at a disadvantage if you're good at maths and it's only pass/fail. Being good at maths is an advantage regardless. If you have really good maths skills I'm sure you can utilise them somewhere (it might not be in the civil service however). If you're good at maths you can capitalise on that cos you know you'll pass and can concentrate on the Verbal Reasoning.

You still need to be good at verbal reasoning, it's no good being just great at maths/numerical.

It is kind of strange when you go to do the supervised tests as your position will always be limited by part A, and all you can improve is your verbal score.

So the situational judgement thing isn't assessed again? We're just brought in for two twenty minute exams? At least it'll be quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

caarp wrote: »

It has been pass mark only for the last number of years,PAS could change it now for EO exams but it's unlikely.
    Results will be out within the next few weeks so all will be revealed then.

Advertisement