Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Well folks, thanks for all the well wishes.

If anyone has not yet been through clearance and the references they have are statements of employment please do make sure you have some form of actual reference to save yourself the mountain of aggravation and stress I've been through the last couple of days.

They insisted (after multiple discussions and appeals to reason) on a reference within the last three years (which meant my current position as I have been there that long) and my company were equally insistent that they do not issue references as company policy and only give statements of employment (like most large companies and apparently the civil service themselves!). For some reason an excellent academic reference would not do. The exact phrase was "no reference no job".

In fairness the person I was dealing with was super nice and patient with me and its not their fault, obviously its some requirement they have which is outdated given todays employment practices.

Eventually I managed to (almost literally) strong arm a very reluctant senior manager into doing the reference for me. I'm positive they would not have done this for any other employee.

Anyway long story short I got my assignment and department today and am waiting on a start date and location, so alls well and ends well :)

Just wanted to warn others in a similar position to be prepared for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

Apologises - Do you mind me asking where you are placed as in Region as was it from the EO open inter departmental panel

Thank you!!!

It's the Dublin region. I was assigned to Dept. of Finance

jhdrum wrote: »
    It's the Dublin region. I was assigned to Dept. of Finance

also, off the open panel

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yesterday37

Hey folks,

I have an interview for co next week.

I was wondering if anybody remembers any of the competency based questions they go asked?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ezra_pound wrote: »
    In a year it's 19.5 days, surely.

It's not in a year it's every 4 weeks .Can cross over into new year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 August2017

yabadabado wrote: »

Which depts mainly do not offer flexi time?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leanneg1994

August2017 wrote: »
    Which depts mainly do not offer flexi time?

I've been in Courts, Social Protection and Revenue and they all do, in Limerick but the Call Centre in Revenue don't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Born to Run

Full Marx wrote: »

If anyone has not yet been through clearance and the references they have are statements of employment please do make sure you have some form of actual reference to save yourself the mountain of aggravation and stress I've been through the last couple of days.

They insisted (after multiple discussions and appeals to reason) on a reference within the last three years (which meant my current position as I have been there that long) and my company were equally insistent that they do not issue references as company policy and only give statements of employment (like most large companies and apparently the civil service themselves!). For some reason an excellent academic reference would not do. The exact phrase was "no reference no job".

In fairness the person I was dealing with was super nice and patient with me and its not their fault, obviously its some requirement they have which is outdated given todays employment practices.

Eventually I managed to (almost literally) strong arm a very reluctant senior manager into doing the reference for me. I'm positive they would not have done this for any other employee.

Anyway long story short I got my assignment and department today and am waiting on a start date and location, so alls well and ends well :)

Well done Full Marx! I knew you'd find a way 😉 What department did you get? I got social protection.

Well done Full Marx! I knew you'd find a way �� What department did you get? I got social protection.
    Justice and Equality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DF2017

Hi, I'm new to this. I'm in top 20 for Limerick and Clare open competition. Haven't heard anything since I got placed after my interview and etray. Anyone know if there are any EO positions in Limerick or Clare. I've never contacted PAS before. Do I just ring them or email for info or how does it work?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Does anyone know how we can get a copy of the detailed application we filled in?

s15r330 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how we can get a copy of the detailed application we filled in?

If you log in to publicjobs and go to 'My applications', the pdf form should be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

jhdrum wrote: »
    If you log in to publicjobs and go to 'My applications', the pdf form should be there

It seems to just be the basic one.
    I was looking for the one where we had to go into more detail about our competencies.
    Is that there somewhere too?
    Or maybe it was a form we uploaded with the application?

s15r330 wrote: »
    It seems to just be the basic one.
    I was looking for the one where we had to go into more detail about our competencies.
    Is that there somewhere too?
    Or maybe it was a form we uploaded with the application?

I think it should be there too, in a row beneath the original form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

if you take 4 weeks holidays out of the 52 weeks of the year it works out at 18 days a year. you can't work up flexi time if you are not at work.

There's 365 days in a year, 366 in a leap year, not "52 weeks".

365.25635 ÷ 7 = 52.1794785714285

52.18 ÷ 4 = 13.045

13.045 X 1.5 = 19.56

Note- in both leap years and ordinary years the figure is 19.5!

yabadabado wrote: »

Yes, but a year is a period of 365/6 days and in that period of time you can build up 19.5 days Flexi, not 18!

if you take 4 weeks holidays out of the 52 weeks of the year it works out at 18 days a year. you can't work up flexi time if you are not at work.

You're not compelled to take all four weeks holidays together - even if you decided to do so, you could spread it over two Flexi periods (two weeks of holidays in each period) - thus giving two periods in which you have two weeks to build up Flexi time.

Of course, people usually take some time off at Easter, Xmas etc. and rarely take all their annual leave in one chunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Hey folks,

I have an interview for co next week.

I was wondering if anybody remembers any of the competency based questions they go asked?

Thanks

It was awhile ago now but as I recall... All questions will be based on your application form.. Know it and your examples well!!
    Also I would recommend having a 2nd example that you could expand into.... Use the words used under the competency form in your examples
    The questions asked will generally relate to your form/examples used. Like asking why you did what u did as in what YOU did, How YOU did it, what was the end result etc...
    Hope that is of help!!
    Best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sister bliss

I've been called for interview on 25th August. It says to bring garda e-vetting invitation and ID application form, does anyone know where I get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

I've been called for interview on 25th August. It says to bring garda e-vetting invitation and ID application form, does anyone know where I get these?
    It should be in the stuff they sent you. Just download it and print it off.

• Advertisement

eroc79 wrote: »
    It should be in the stuff they sent you. Just download it and print it off.

It's not in the stuff they sent me. Will ring them in d morning. Thanks anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

It's not in the stuff they sent me. Will ring them in d morning. Thanks anyway!!

There is usually a link to the forms included in the message you receive inviting you to interview.

alf66 wrote: »
    There is usually a link to the forms included in the message you receive inviting you to interview.

Ok, Thanks, I'll have another look at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I got a text at 8.30 on Saturday morning to log on to my message board. My clearance is complete and I have been assigned to Agriculture, just waiting for my start date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Stephr85

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I got a text at 8.30 on Saturday morning to log on to my message board. My clearance is complete and I have been assigned to Agriculture, just waiting for my start date now.

Good stuff, congrats!!

So frustrated.

Got the call there that they want to speak to my current employer. They did and they will only give a statement of employment. PAS need a reference within the last 3 years. I've worked in my current company for three years. My academic reference before that won't work. While the person from PAS was super nice they said that no reference means no job. I'm kicking up holy war in work now but not looking likely they will budge. Supervisers are afraid to give a personal reference because someone got in massive trouble for doing that before. Work say they will get back to me with a definite answer tomorrow.

Actually very upset now :(

Any update on this situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Stephr85 wrote: »

See post 3214 (about 2 pages back)

Stephr85 wrote: »

Yes got it sorted thankfully, here's the update I posted a few pages back:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭starsx

Well done I say you are only delighted!!!

I wonder what number they are on now in Dublin??

• Advertisement

Brilliant, well done!! What dept did you get assigned to?

Advertisement