Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

LauraX wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before, but does anybody know when Batch 2, Dublin clearances will begin?

Not sure, once batch one are finished I suppose. They are on around 230 now and there's roughly 300 or so apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Stephr85

Full Marx wrote: »
    They have not called me yet, I got the Vetting email last week and I just got another email today saying my garda vetting has been completed and the disclosure viewed by PAS.

I wish they'd ring me and give me some info ha but I presume I'm almost there at this stage.

Yep I'd say you are almost there too!!! Its such a long drawn out process!!! But we are getting there :)

If I could give anyone who is still waiting for the call some advice it would be to make sure you have your qualifications/leaving cert results to hand because when they asked me for my leaving cert results I panicked because I wasn't expecting them to ask for them and I had to do a search of my parents house (luckily my dad kept them). So if you need to request copies of certs/results etc get them now so you have them there when they ask for them!!

So frustrated.

Got the call there that they want to speak to my current employer. They did and they will only give a statement of employment. PAS need a reference within the last 3 years. I've worked in my current company for three years. My academic reference before that won't work. While the person from PAS was super nice they said that no reference means no job. I'm kicking up holy war in work now but not looking likely they will budge. Supervisers are afraid to give a personal reference because someone got in massive trouble for doing that before. Work say they will get back to me with a definite answer tomorrow.

Actually very upset now :(

So frustrated.

Got the call there that they want to speak to my current employer. They did and they will only give a statement of employment. PAS need a reference within the last 3 years. I've worked in my current company for three years. My academic reference before that won't work. While the person from PAS was super nice they said that no reference means no job. I'm kicking up holy war in work now but not looking likely they will budge. Supervisers are afraid to give a personal reference because someone got in massive trouble for doing that before. Work say they will get back to me with a definite answer tomorrow.

What the hell....I think someone further back had the same problem maybe have a look back and see what the outcome was for them. But if your company wont give a personal reference then surely they have to accept a statement of employment!!!! Don't give up keep fighting it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

So frustrated.

That's awful, it's a form they have to fill in, would you just give PAS an email address for your hr dept, even if they can only provide some of the info it might be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭starsx

So frustrated.

That is awful!!! Did PAS speak to your employer?? No employer is legally obliged to give a reference PAS should understand this.

Hopefully things work out for you keep us posted

has anyone for Westmeath or any of the regionals completed clearance yet? just wondering about how long it takes? I got confirmation that the garda vetting is completed today, and I've returned everything, they got the reference last Thursday or Friday

Thanks

Stephr85 wrote: »
    What the hell....I think someone further back had the same problem maybe have a look back and see what the outcome was for them. But if your company wont give a personal reference then surely they have to accept a statement of employment!!!! Don't give up keep fighting it!!

I've made a big fuss in work now and they said they will get back to me tomorrow and see what they can do. I know they'll stick to their guns though.

I'll just have to ring PAS back tomorrow after I get the answer from work and beg.

I feel sick.

I've made a big fuss in work now and they said they will get back to me tomorrow and see what they can do. I know they'll stick to their guns though.

I'll just have to ring PAS back tomorrow after I get the answer from work and beg.

I feel sick.

Your current employers might stick to their guns but explain to PAS that employers aren't required to give a personal reference and surely if you weren't a good employee then you wouldn't still be with the company after 3 years!!!! Good luck! Let us know how you go!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Born to Run

I feel sick.

Can you get a reference from another source? Maybe a club or committee you have been involved in? I would try this along with the statement of employment from your employer.

Can you get a reference from another source? Maybe a club or committee you have been involved in? I would try this along with the statement of employment from your employer.

Racking my brains about that, I would have done some volunteer community work with a kind of legal advice clinic but that was organised by politicians which is not ideal having them as a reference it's very cliché, that's the only think I can think of. Since I finished college I stopped all the other stuff I did

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

Racking my brains about that, I would have done some volunteer community work with a kind of legal advice clinic but that was organised by politicians which is not ideal having them as a reference it's very cliché, that's the only think I can think of. Since I finished college I stopped all the other stuff I did

You shouldn't talk to HR at all. You will need to talk to your own line managers or supervisors. If they don't want to fill out a form, perhaps they could take a call. One of my old supervisors took a call on his personal mobile to completely distance it from the corporate setting. But that was fine with them. PAS might compromise eventually, but they will push you mercilessly up to that point

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

So frustrated.

PAS shouldn't be taking that approach. It's actually becoming pretty standard for big companies to only offer a statement of employment and decline any requests for personal references. Your current employer isn't doing anything out of the ordinary, and PAS being in the business they are in will be well aware of that. Very strange.

jhdrum wrote: »
    You shouldn't talk to HR at all. You will need to talk to your own line managers or supervisors. If they don't want to fill out a form, perhaps they could take a call. One of my old supervisors took a call on his personal mobile to completely distance it from the corporate setting. But that was fine with them. PAS might compromise eventually, but they will push you mercilessly up to that point

I spoke to them first but they were afraid to do it because someone did before and HR found out and they got in massive trouble even though they did it in a personal capacity. They said I had to go to HR.

I don't think I'm gonna get much sleep tonight, I'm just praying someone in work will help me out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Born to Run

If you can't get a reference from work I would use them, cliché or not. You obviously really want the job so you need to find a way to get around this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

sorry to hear you're upset but I know how you feel. It's actually completely standard nowadays to get a Statement of Employment -it's what I supplied to them - so I can't imagine why they're kicking up about it. Best of luck and perservere - pas really can't afford to be going on with this nonsense

PAS shouldn't be taking that approach. It's actually becoming pretty standard for big companies to only offer a statement of employment and decline any requests for personal references. Your current employer isn't doing anything out of the ordinary, and PAS being in the business they are in will be well aware of that. Very strange.

It just all seems mad. The worst thing is that if I don't get the job (not even gonna think of that) because of this I have ruined any chance of getting promoted in my current role because I obviously wanted to leave. Legit feel ill, hopefully I'll be able to get something sorted tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

starsx wrote: »
    So frustrated.

That is awful!!! Did PAS speak to your employer?? No employer is legally obliged to give a reference PAS should understand this.

Sure the Civil Service themselves don't give references!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

starsx wrote: »
    So frustrated.

Sure the Civil Service themselves don't give references!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

MrsCork wrote: »
    Jsherlock1 wrote: »
    Dept of education in athlone. Exactly where i wanted.

Hi, would you mind saying what number you were on the panel. I am high(ish) on the open and high on the InterD.

thanks

I was number 2 on the panel for westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sazmac2

Can I ask a question re offer of employment at EO level
    I'd be leaving the public sector and heading into CS so effectively dropping 5 days annual leave but gaining flexi time
    Would this be worth it?
    Also do you get Good Friday off?
    I know it's not a public holiday but do you get it off? Call it a privilege day or whatever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yes you get good Friday off .Flexi is 1.5 days per 4 week period so approx 18 days extra leave available to you if you decide to use the system.It can't be built up so must be used in following period .

Anna1976 wrote: »
    Im in the top 5 for laois and got called today for clearance.

Have you completed clearance yet? I'm just trying to gauge how long it takes from the call to check references

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MrsCork

Jsherlock1 wrote: »
    I was number 2 on the panel for westmeath

Thanks a million for getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MollyTP

Hi has anyone heard more from Waterford or Kilkenny? I doubt there is an update but wanted to check in. From a previous poster, I believe two vacancies came up in Waterford. I am high on that panel (open) and haven't heard anything, but Kilkenny is my preference. It could be a while...
    Thanks

Ps Best of luck Full Marx - I really hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 August2017

Hi. Does anyone know if you can get incremental credit for having worked in public service . Thanks. .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

August2017 wrote: »
    Hi. Does anyone know if you can get incremental credit for having worked in public service . Thanks. .

It will depend on the department and how long you previously worked for. I have heard of some people getting it and others not.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

Does anyone know how salary increase works out going from CO to EO from interdepartmental panel, do we just go to the next pay scale on EO or do we go up two on the payscales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 August2017

connectq wrote: »
    It will depend on the department and how long you previously worked for. I have heard of some people getting it and others not.

Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate it. Do you know do all depts have flexi also or does it depend on dept also? Many thanks.

Advertisement