Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

IUA14 wrote: »
    He's still there if his Twitter is anything to go by with Adelle Nolan and Joe Donnelly as his Asssistant PD's. The former Chief Exec from 98FM Keith McCormack is now Chief Exec at Today FM

When you think about it, what's the feckin' point of having PDs and assistant PDs in there, when it's the Chief Executive calling all the shots?

Must be a very frustrating place to work at the moment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A group PD for two stations, a station PD and two APDs. Bit of a fat management structure there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I see Ann Gleeson is leaving Today FM on Friday. There must be no room for her with the two lads taking over mid morning. She wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed her when Foley was on lunchtime especially her Una Healy impression.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

statto25 wrote: »
    I see Ann Gleeson is leaving Today FM on Friday. There must be no room for her with the two lads taking over mid morning. She wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed her when Foley was on lunchtime especially her Una Healy impression.

Ah that's a real shame. I always loved her on with Foley and she was good with Anton and Louise too IMO.

Is she working on any show in particular at the moment so I know when to tune in on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ah that's a real shame. I always loved her on with Foley and she was good with Anton and Louise too IMO.

Is she working on any show in particular at the moment so I know when to tune in on Friday?

She was with Anton but haven't heard her since he left. Maybe she wasn't happy about the way things were going either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw that. Ah lads todayfm can **** right off. Why are all the glory days people going, dying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's a shame. Herself, Foley, JP and Adelle were an excellent team.

Here's the tweet in case anyone's looking for it

https://twitter.com/GleesonAnn/status/821785743769079808

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He's still there if his Twitter is anything to go by with Adelle Nolan and Joe Donnelly as his Asssistant PD's. The former Chief Exec from 98FM Keith McCormack is now Chief Exec at Today FM

Is that Adelle, Foleys old producer?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is that Adelle, Foleys old producer?

It is indeed, she was over at 98FM as Assistant PD for a year or so while Foley was there.

Thats sad that Ann is leaving Today FM...doubt you would find anyone with a bad word to say about her. Since Foley she hasn't been used on air in the same way but she was good with Louise Duffy, and easily one of the funniest women on Irish radio!

So new Today FM head honcho...nixed the idea of Foley returning, ended Friday Night 80's and Friday Night 90's, have Hector a show, gave Alison Curtis a second weekend show, axed Anton, moved D&D from lunchtime where they belong...hmmm...not much faith in what the new lunchtime show will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I got a email from Today Fm today, survey about their music, shows, presenters etc... Obviously getting views from listeners on how to improve. Will they listen tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The music today was quite mixed between old and new. For example, the Jackson 5, ABC was played. I don't remember the other older songs that were played, though. It was great that Paul McCloone played Blue Monday '88 yesterday morning. The best version of that, which Today FM only seem to play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It is indeed, she was over at 98FM as Assistant PD for a year or so while Foley was there.

Thats sad that Ann is leaving Today FM...doubt you would find anyone with a bad word to say about her. Since Foley she hasn't been used on air in the same way but she was good with Louise Duffy, and easily one of the funniest women on Irish radio!

So new Today FM head honcho...nixed the idea of Foley returning, ended Friday Night 80's and Friday Night 90's, have Hector a show, gave Alison Curtis a second weekend show, axed Anton, moved D&D from lunchtime where they belong...hmmm...not much faith in what the new lunchtime show will be...
    They currently seem hell bent on a path to destruction by alienating every listener as soon as possible and achieving a target audience of 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Wasn't Ann studying psychology or physical something or other? Remember her saying it a few times. Perhaps she's got a job in the real world. Can't imagine Today FM being a barrel of laughs right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Badabing wrote: »
    I got a email from Today Fm today, survey about their music, shows, presenters etc... Obviously getting views from listeners on how to improve. Will they listen tho.

Look at question 21!!!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Look at question 21!!!

For those of us who didn't get it, what's question 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I can't get back in to it now but it had a list of all current presenters and you had to tick one of these options for each -

Fun, Good sense of humour, Genuine, Energetic, Young, Old, Intelligent, Boring

There may have been one or two more options. You could only pick one for each presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can't get back in to it now but it had a list of all current presenters and you had to tick one of these options for each -

Fun, Good sense of humour, Genuine, Energetic, Young, Old, Intelligent, Boring

There may have been one or two more options. You could only pick one for each presenter

Surprised at the young old option, really does seem like they're trying to prompt the recipient into saying the station is aimed at the wrong age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I said boring for Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Wasn't Ann studying psychology or physical something or other? Remember her saying it a few times. Perhaps she's got a job in the real world. Can't imagine Today FM being a barrel of laughs right now!

Ann and 11 others were made Redundant by Today FM. A very tense time in Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ann and 11 others were made Redundant by Today FM. A very tense time in Today FM

Really? Where are you getting your info?

I see a job advert, for what looks like Anns old job, which is very much not allowed if she was made redundant?

http://www.todayfm.com/WANTED:-Join-Our-AwardWinning-Programming-Department

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Any list of the others left go?

One assumes Communicorp are bringing Today FM and NT closer together... Would explain the Senior PD role too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I really enjoyed Ann especially when she was on with Louise in the afternoon. They were kind of chalk and cheese (like I could see myself having a pint with Ann, but not Louise)...always thought the show should be called Ann & Louise.

She's one of the few radioheads that are not up their own a**e!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Really? Where are you getting your info?

I see a job advert, for what looks like Anns old job, which is very much not allowed if she was made redundant?

http://www.todayfm.com/WANTED:-Join-Our-AwardWinning-Programming-Department

You can if you change the criteria of the role(experience , education , hours etc) or the seniority level (remuneration , demote it etc )

Quick observation on Today FM...it has always been by station of choice since I was in college...and by-and-large I could listen to it from morning to night. A big part of its success was its consistency...for years it was Dempsey, D'arcy, Foley, Fenton, Cooper and while 2FM was beginning to falter and chopping and changing that line-up remained and only changed out of necessity...when Foley left KC came in...when Fenton was battling cancer Duffy came in, when D'arcy left Anton came in...all internal appointments really...they had all been with the station prior and got their chance and took it.

The impression I got of Today FM by and large was it was a pretty close knit, radio family that showed, and valued, loyalty. Ann there for 13 years (and beat cancer during that time), Shauna similar, Dempsey, Pamela and Gavin Blake, Mairead Ronan (Farrell), Adelle, Paul Collins, John Duggan, Susan Keogh, Phil Cawley, Yvonne on reception....countless others spending most of their career there. Their people seemed to go above and beyond for the station, and even Foley saying recently he still has an affinity for the station and a certain love for it. Now it seems all that has changed and new management is upending everything, loyalty is out the door and they are skewing younger and will rely heavily on opinions, social media and focus groups...which the Chief Exec seemed to do at 98FM...worked well there... Maybe it will work...I doubt it though and I would not be surprised to see others leave. As a consequence of all this Dan Healy may be made to look a damn site better than he actually is over at 2FM.

Quick observation on Today FM...it has always been by station of choice since I was in college...and by-and-large I could listen to it from morning to night. A big part of its success was its consistency...for years it was Dempsey, D'arcy, Foley, Fenton, Cooper and while 2FM was beginning to falter and chopping and changing that line-up remained and only changed out of necessity...when Foley left KC came in...when Fenton was battling cancer Duffy came in, when D'arcy left Anton came in...all internal appointments really...they had all been with the station prior and got their chance and took it.

The impression I got of Today FM by and large was it was a pretty close knit, radio family that showed, and valued, loyalty. Ann there for 13 years (and beat cancer during that time), Shauna similar, Dempsey, Pamela and Gavin Blake, Mairead Ronan (Farrell), Adelle, Paul Collins, John Duggan, Susan Keogh, Phil Cawley, Yvonne on reception....countless others spending most of their career there. Their people seemed to go above and beyond for the station, and even Foley saying recently he still has an affinity for the station and a certain love for it. Now it seems all that has changed and new management is upending everything, loyalty is out the door and they are skewing younger and will rely heavily on opinions, social media and focus groups...which the Chief Exec seemed to do at 98FM...worked well there... Maybe it will work...I doubt it though and I would not be surprised to see others leave. As a consequence of all this Dan Healy may be made to look a damn site better than he actually is over at 2FM.

The best lineup they ever had was Dempsey -> D'Arcy -> Foley -> Fenton -> Cooper -> KC -> McLoone. That truly was a lineup where you could listen to the station for the entire day.

I agree with your point on the station seeming like a family. Take Ray D'Arcy for instance. It's come out since he's left that he wasn't really close with people there, but that, to everyone involved's credit, never really came across on air. Ray Foley ripped the piss out of him on air a lot, but it mostly came across as good natured ribbing, sort of like Foley was the kid-brother still skulling pints with the lads, and D'Arcy was the older brother who now had a kid and was more responsible.

It's hard to see how this sort of vibe could be rebuilt in the short-term, and with the way media is going in general, it's hard to see it ever being recreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The best lineup they ever had was Dempsey -> D'Arcy -> Foley -> Fenton -> Cooper -> KC -> McLoone. That truly was a lineup where you could listen to the station for the entire day.

Best Line up was when Phil Cawley, Eamon Dunphy and Tom Dunne were included above...without Foley, Cooper, KC, McLoone

Why cant they just have a safe pair of hands on in the afternoons...like Phil Cawley (just a normal radio show!!)

Best Line up was when Phil Cawley, Eamon Dunphy and Tom Dunne were included above...without Foley, Cooper, KC, McLoone

Why cant they just have a safe pair of hands on in the afternoons...like Phil Cawley (just a normal radio show!!)

Dunphy? Jaysus. Have to say I agree with wnolan on the best, and most successful line-up the station has had.

FYI Today FM making a ''big announcement'' next week about the lunchtime slot. I would expect D&D might make it on Monday morning. *please not Hector*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Speaking of Eamon Dunphys last word, when Matt Copper took over from Dunphy, ratings went severely off a cliff, it was probably the biggest fall ever seen in radio ratings at that time but Willie O Reilly stood by Matt Copper and did everything in his power to turn things around and it did after about 3/4 years. Very different management now when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭prunudo

Two very good posts there IUA and wnolan, you've pretty much nailed it.
    I doubt they'll ever be able to reach that close knit family vibe again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cawley bleugh. I'd rather listen to Spotify than his cheesy ramblings

Advertisement