Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

robo wrote: »
    Well they are supposed to be announcing who has the gig this week - if its internal then it has to be between Muireann and Paula. Was Paula on this morning before Ian?

Definitely not permanent, last week for McLoone on Mid Mornings they changed it too. Paula won't be moving she got merchandise for her early breakie show this week and doubt Muireann will get it. I'll listen in to 98FM at 4 today to see if Dara Quilty is on this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Promos for Dara Quilty still running on 98 so I'm guessing it's not him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Ian Dempseys latest contact expires next autumn, will it be renewed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Now that would be a very bold move - dunno if it is good or bad, but nobody is invincible and sometimes Dempsey can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Now that would be a very bold move - dunno if it is good or bad, but nobody is invincible and sometimes Dempsey can be annoying.

I'm really not a fan of Dempsey but based on the current decisions that are being made I wouldn't trust them to fill with anything better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

I'd say he won't renew. The station will want him to, but my money would be on him bowing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    I'd say he won't renew. The station will want him to, but my money would be on him bowing out.

I hope not, but if he gets pissed off enough he'll walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Ian has stated many times that he was hit badly during the recession with buy a villa Portugal, he's working because he has to. He can't afford to just walk away from a national station, would his salary be matched elsewhere if there's an elesewhere at all.

Just heard a promo on air that D&D are announcing the new presenters for the 12pm show tomorrow at 11am - but can someone tell me who were the 2 people talking on the ad? Are they voices from another station moving into the slot?

Just heard a promo on air that D&D are announcing the new presenters for the 12pm show tomorrow at 11am - but can someone tell me who were the 2 people talking on the ad? Are they voices from another station moving into the slot?

Oh didn't hear that...I'll have to listen out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

The gent is the voice-over man they use in their ads. Dunno who the lady was. Someone from News?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

"Presenters" as in plural??? HAS to be Foley and JP :D

statto25 wrote: »
    The gent is the voice-over man they use in their ads. Dunno who the lady was. Someone from News?
    Ah right - didn't hear the voices very well so wasn't too sure who they were.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    "Presenters" as in plural??? HAS to be Foley and JP :D

Not a hope unfortunately, if it was Ann would not have left. I still reckon Quilty and Maher.

IUA14 wrote: »
    Not a hope unfortunately, if it was Ann would not have left. I still reckon Quilty and Maher.

They seem to be the common choice. I'm guessing D&D will have the new guys in Studio and make a big song and dance about it

MrMac84 wrote: »
    They seem to be the common choice. I'm guessing D&D will have the new guys in Studio and make a big song and dance about it

Yeah I reckon so, I highly doubt it would be anyone internal...tho I dread that it could be the annoying Ferg and the too talented to be his sidekick Ed Smith...with Muireann getting the 2:30-4:30 slot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Re: Iano, for me, the sensible move would be to put him on 2:30-4:30, move Fergal to 12:00-2:30, and whoever this new show is get breakfast.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Re: Iano, for me, the sensible move would be to put him on 2:30-4:30, move Fergal to 12:00-2:30, and whoever this new show is get breakfast.

Dempsey is the only solid thing about the Today FM schedule the last few years, figures solid, would be a huge mistake to move him. Putting Fergal on lunchtime will finish the slot off once and for all IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dempsey is the only solid thing about the Today FM schedule the last few years, figures solid, would be a huge mistake to move him. Putting Fergal on lunchtime will finish the slot off once and for all IMO.

Short term, the figures on Breakfast would take a hit, yes. However, long-term, Ian is skewing way older than their target audience. He sounds tired, the show sounds tired, there's been nothing new for ages.

For me, it's very reminiscent of Ray D'Arcy's final year, just sounds like it's ticking over, not really trying.

IMO, it would be better to launch a new Breakfast show along with all the other changes, rather than get 12 months down the line and just as things are starting to settle you throw another grenade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think it would be madness to move Ian Dempsey at the moment.

He doesn't work as well in any other slot. He briefly moved to Lunchtimes on 2FM years ago and they moved him back very quickly.

Also, with so much changing and so many unfamiliar voices elsewhere in the schedule the 'old' listeners need to placated for a while. Dempsey gives the daytime schedule a solid lead in and springing someone in from Spin or wherever might be the final straw for many listeners.

If/when the rest of the schedule beds in then they should consider what they want to with Breakfast long term.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    I think it would be madness to move Ian Dempsey at the moment.

He doesn't work as well in any other slot. He briefly moved to Lunchtimes on 2FM years ago and they moved him back very quickly.

Also, with so much changing and so many unfamiliar voices elsewhere in the schedule the 'old' listeners need to placated for a while. Dempsey gives the daytime schedule a solid lead in and springing someone in from Spin or wherever might be the final straw for many listeners.

If/when the rest of the schedule beds in then they should consider what they want to with Breakfast long term.

Didn't see it from that perspective, I guess it does make sense to keep him there to give the lead in alright.

Long term, I think he'd be good in the Tony Fenton role though, just a straight forward this-was-this-is type show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Didn't see it from that perspective, I guess it does make sense to keep him there to give the lead in alright.

Long term, I think he'd be good in the Tony Fenton role though, just a straight forward this-was-this-is type show.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens next with Iano. All the noises from Today FM are about moving the station younger, if they keep going in that direction he will look out of place before long.

As an aside, the schedule upheavals in BBC Radio 1 in the earlier 90s have some similarities to what Today FM are doing.

This documentary about that period might be of interest to some who haven't seen it (apologies for the Dave Lee Travis photo)

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens next with Iano. All the noises from Today FM are about moving the station younger, if they keep going in that direction he will look out of place before long.

As an aside, the schedule upheavals in BBC Radio 1 in the earlier 90s have some similarities to what Today FM are doing.

This documentary about that period might be of interest to some who haven't seen it (apologies for the Dave Lee Travis photo)

I don't necessarily think it is about drastically moving the station younger so much as moving it back to what it was 5/6 years ago. The station has grown older with its audience and they need to make the adjustment to correct that.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

statto25 wrote: »

I might be wrong on this one but it kinda sounded like Adelle, previously of the Foley show.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lambayire wrote: »
    I might be wrong on this one but it kinda sounded like Adelle, previously of the Foley show.

Adelle's the PD now isn't she?

lambayire wrote: »

You are spot on there, it's Adelle who is the female voice on that promo. They are making a big deal of it and live streaming it on Facebook...hmmm...

You are spot on there, it's Adelle who is the female voice on that promo. They are making a big deal of it and live streaming it on Facebook...hmmm...

How many presenters out there would be instantly recognized when they walk into a room?

Oh god it's going to be Hector isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just heard it there, seems like they're really trying to hype up the excitement which can only mean that it will be an underwhelming announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

jvan wrote: »
    Just heard it there, seems like they're really trying to hype up the excitement which can only mean that it will be an underwhelming announcement.

Really think it's going to PMcS, the merchandising is transferable to the daytime I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Eoghan McDermott is off at the moment. Just saying.

Advertisement