Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Bit off topic the topic here but one thing that is bugging me lately is how they have replaced the news on Matt Cooper with this fake conversation "5 at 5" or whatever.

Matt - "Whats this about Donald Trump on twitter then?"

Newsreader - "Well Matt Donald Trump has tweeted....<insert news here>"

Matt - "Oh right, I suppose Obama won't be happy about that?"

Newsreader - "You are right Matt, Obama has responded with <insert rest of news here>"

Silly stuff altogether!

Similar to Louise Duffy show where she insists on rabbitting on with the News presenter about inane/her.ie/celebrity ****e....Just play the music nobody cares about what the news reporters opinions on Game of Thrones or what she's getting up to over the weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ian has started asking guests he is interviewing if they are interested in presenting the lunchtime show. He asked Any Huberman this morning and asked Laura Whitmore the same thing earlier in the week.

I doubt he's too impressed at what is going on.

Alison Curtis also pointed out earlier how much she is looking forward to going back to her weekend shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

nc6000 wrote: »
    Ian has started asking guests he is interviewing if they are interested in presenting the lunchtime show. He asked Any Huberman this morning and asked Laura Whitmore the same thing earlier in the week.

I doubt he's too impressed at what is going on.

Alison Curtis also pointed out earlier how much she is looking forward to going back to her weekend shows.

A subtle dig about the seeming lack of direction management have for the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

The lack of announcement for lunchtime makes me sure that it will be Chris and Ciara, they have to wait another few weeks until their 2fm contract runs down.

The lack of announcement for lunchtime makes me sure that it will be Chris and Ciara, they have to wait another few weeks until their 2fm contract runs down.

If they were thinking of leaving and not resigning or offered a new contract I'm sure they would have been put on gardening leave by now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IUA14 wrote: »
    Genuinely seems like TodayFM haven't decided on a new lunchtime show...saw Dave on Twitter yesterday mention they had no clue who was getting it and Ian said the same this morning with an air of bewilderment.

1) Just because presenters haven't been told, doesn't mean management haven't made a decision.
    2) Even if it's know in the building who's getting it, they're not going to say it on air until an official announcement with fanfare.
    3) Presenters publicly saying they don't know who's getting it is a way of building mystery around it. Ian says "I dunno who's getting it... do you want it Amy Huberman?", listeners start to think "Hmm, I wonder who is getting it! I haven't listened to lunchtime in years, but they're getting a new presenter in? I may pay attention a bit more over the next few weeks rather than turning off when I get out of the car at work..."

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    1) Just because presenters haven't been told, doesn't mean management haven't made a decision.
    2) Even if it's know in the building who's getting it, they're not going to say it on air until an official announcement with fanfare.
    3) Presenters publicly saying they don't know who's getting it is a way of building mystery around it. Ian says "I dunno who's getting it... do you want it Amy Huberman?", listeners start to think "Hmm, I wonder who is getting it! I haven't listened to lunchtime in years, but they're getting a new presenter in? I may pay attention a bit more over the next few weeks rather than turning off when I get out of the car at work..."

Understand all that but it seems less like ''ohhh I wonder who will get that'' and more like ''anyone want this cause nobody has a clue what's happening''.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

Did anybody else hear the dig Phil Cawley just made, he was talking with Louise about Sky arts pulling a show and he says "nice when a big media organisation listens to the feed back from its viewers and listeners. It was the quite the dig :D

Things don't sound to rosy over at Marconi house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wonder is Ruth Scott on her way to Today Fm? Dropped from 2fm off of a sudden and would fit with them trying to
    Shoe horn a woman into the day slot

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wonder is Ruth Scott on her way to Todsy Fm? Dropped from 2fm off of a sudden and would fit with them trying to
    Shoe horn a woman into the day slot

I would be surprised if Ruth landed such a big gig because she hasn't been very prominent for about 10 years now but I would be happy for her if she did land the gig

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if Ruth landed such a big gig because she hasn't been very prominent for about 10 years now but I would be happy for her if she did land the gig

I hope she doesn't...but now that has me looking at 2FM with a gap at weekends because judging by the fact she is off the website she is gone from the station...and Chris and Ciara possibly leaving...interesting!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I hope she doesn't...but now that has me looking at 2FM with a gap at weekends because judging by the fact she is off the website she is gone from the station...and Chris and Ciara possibly leaving...interesting!

Would it not be more likely that Chris and Ciara would get the Weekenders gig? Sort of like Ruth Scott and Paddy McKenna type deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Chris and Ciara's show went seriously, seriously downhill over the last 18 months imo so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't get kept on at 2FM. I used to love them when they were on iRadio and for the first year or so on 2fm, but I actually can't even listen to them for 5 minutes now. Maybe a move to today fm would give them a new lease of life, but tbh I think it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I really hope it's neither of them, Ruth Scott is a female version of Will Leahy and isn't suited to a morning show, every Chris and Ciara show seems to just blend Into each other and sounds like a continuous loop of one show

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

Paula Mac should get this. What's the point in having people come up the ranks when you don't give them an opportunity for promotion.

But, this is the current rudderless Today FM we are talking about so that won't happen.

Howard100 wrote: »
    Paula Mac should get this. What's the point in having people come up the ranks when you don't give them an opportunity for promotion.

But, this is the current rudderless Today FM we are talking about so that won't happen.
    In fairness Paula mac is only on her existing slot a wet week, poor AM Kelly was left on that 5am show for over a decade without ever getting promoted

In fairness Paula mac is only on her existing slot a wet week, poor AM Kelly was left on that 5am show for over a decade without ever getting promoted

Be fair though, she couldn't really do a slot after midday. PM Kelly just wouldn't have had the same marketability. :P

Side note, I actually didn't know the story surrounding her leaving Today FM. You'd have to say it was really bad timing for her. If it had been just 2 or 3 years later I reckon she'd have been a shoo-in for lunchtimes or the 2:30-4:30 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I really liked Kelly in that slot, could be a decent shot at lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

AM Kelly was great. I did miss her when she left. Unfortunately, I can't get Midlands 103 in the car, so I don't get to hear her breakfast show. I think she filled in on every weekday show on Today FM at some point, bar The Last Word.

Today FM isn't bad from what I've heard of it the last week or so. We finally changed from FM104, having gone through almost every other station beforehand. But, the repetition on 104 became unbearable in the end.

I'm not really paying too much attention to the presenters, but Muireann sounds great, and hopefully she retains the 12-14:30 slot. Paul McCloone is on 9-12 this week, and he sounded good today. I haven't been paying too much attention to Fegal D'arcy, so I can't comment on how good or bad he is.

I meant to say that a few weeks back on The Beat Goes On, a listener texted into Kelly-Anne to say that they loved the music she was playing and hoped the station didn't change too much. She replied by saying that she hopes that the station doesn't go too young.

Trebor176 wrote: »

I'm not really paying too much attention to the presenters, but Muireann sounds great, and hopefully she retains the 12-14:30 slot. Paul McCloone is on 9-12 this week, and he sounded good today. I haven't been paying too much attention to Fegal D'arcy, so I can't comment on how good or bad he is.

Have to say Paul McLoone today, after the torturous last month or so, was excellent! For the first time in a while I left Today FM on from Dempsey through Cooper and enjoyed it.

For the lunchtime show...I'm at a loss as to what will happen...now thinking that it may not be an internal appointment, because well all their current weekday presenters are still on air with their respective shows and you would expect a few weeks free to build the new show...I would have thought maybe an announcement this week, or perhaps Dermot and Dave will announce their successor/s on their first mid-morning show next Monday...but I don't think it will be PMac or Duffy...Darcy's show is too new to chop and change again, and Muireann I would expect to take a permanent slot on the station, but not lunchtimes on her own...yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sounds like there is going to be a complete rebrand of the station. A move away from the blue and yellow colours to red.

Sounds like there is going to be a complete rebrand of the station. A move away from the blue and yellow colours to red.

Where's this coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Where's this coming from?

Ian mentioned just before 8.30, look at the red wall behind Paul McLoone and the microphones and big changes are coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Gone to utter sh*t. Last week it was non stop boring dry women on all day and now they've some other boring fella on now interviewing Simon the I lost who wants to be a millionaire bachelor walk :rollyeyes: suppose he will be in the slot next week. God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Please not Simon Boring Delany.

Ian mentioned just before 8.30, look at the red wall behind Paul McLoone and the microphones and big changes are coming.

That studio has had a red back wall for years as the backdrop so that's all that is.

Just saw a job posting for Communicorp looking for a Senior PD for their national stations. Could be a coincidence, but the timing is rather amusing from an outsiders perspective given all the rumour and speculations surrounding both stations.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just saw a job posting for Communicorp looking for a Senior PD for their national stations. Could be a coincidence, but the timing is rather amusing from an outsiders perspective given all the rumour and speculations surrounding both stations.

Perhaps putting to bed the sale of Newstalk? Interesting timing alright. I assume that means Colm O'Sullivan and the Newstalk PD will feed into them...another layer of management...always works well...

Perhaps putting to bed the sale of Newstalk? Interesting timing alright. I assume that means Colm O'Sullivan and the Newstalk PD will feed into them...another layer of management...always works well...

Isn't Colm o Sullivan gone? Isn't it the old 98 PD now calling the shots at Today Fm

• Advertisement

Isn't Colm o Sullivan gone? Isn't it the old 98 PD now calling the shots at Today Fm

He's still there if his Twitter is anything to go by with Adelle Nolan and Joe Donnelly as his Asssistant PD's. The former Chief Exec from 98FM Keith McCormack is now Chief Exec at Today FM

Advertisement