Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Reading through this thread shows how OTT and out of touch so many of you are in regards to what people want on radio today.

We're people. :(

:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So do we know who's taking over the 12-2:30 slot then ?

It's gonna be announced next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭prunudo

Reading through this thread shows how OTT and out of touch so many of you are in regards to what people want on radio today.

Really, because a lot of people I talk to want similar to what's been said on this thread.
    What do you think people want on radio today?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I'd really like to know what "people want on radio today" and from what demographic this perspective is from. I don't think people liking and wanting good radio is OTT.

On the 12-2.30 lunchtime slot...I wonder if 98FM will be visited yet again to fill the hole in the schedule...Dara Quilty and Brian Maher teaming up again perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

It should be a female presenter.. The girl filling in now would be my choice.. I would hate if a male gets thejob, that would mean from 7am till 7pm it would be male presenters overkill..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭TheDavester

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    It should be a female presenter.. The girl filling in now would be my choice.. I would hate if a male gets thejob, that would mean from 7am till 7pm it would be male presenters overkill..

I'd hope it would be someone external to today fm as the female presenters who are currently hired are dreadful- muireann is probably the best of a bad bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't care what sex the presenter is as long as they are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Isn't what you are saying a paradox?

The fact that there are a group of people saying what they want on their radio surely shows that they have a collective opinion.

What I feel that you are trying to say is that 'there are a lot of people that do not have the same opinion as me in regards to what I want on the radio'

If thats the case, then thats just cool.

If everyone likes the same thing then the world would be a boring place.

If you feel that you would like to put forward a different opinion please do so, join the debate. You are quite welcome. But there will be people that may disagree with you and thats ok too because we're all adults here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Dara Quilty & Brian Maher for lunchtime maybe ??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Ann Gleeson gone too?
    wow.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ann Gleeson gone too?
    wow.

In the industry mag radio today:

Ann joined Today FM 13 years ago in 2004 after two weeks on work experience. Since then she hosted spots on, and was part of, Tom Dunne’s show, Ray Foley’s Show and the Ray D’Arcy Show.

She posted news of her departure on Instagram, saying: “So, this Friday is my last day, after 13 years in Today FM. Back in January 2004, I managed to sort out two weeks’ work experience for college, and I ended up staying on doing evening work. This letter is from Caroline Davies, who gave me a three-month contract in June of that year, working as a marketing assistant. Since then, I’ve been lucky enough to work on so many amazing shows, I’ve collected countless incredible memories, and I’ve made so many amazing friends along the way – but now it’s time to move on.

“Thank you to everyone I’ve worked with, both inside and outside the station, and thank you to each and every one of you who’s listened down through the years. Whatever the next few months and years bring, I’m delighted to have spent the last 13 years doing something that I love, and what could be better than that?”

In July 2012, Ann took a break from the station and started chemotherapy after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. She made a full recovery and was welcomed back to the station in 2013.

Rumour:

Dara Quilty (98fm) has the afternoon slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Is there any female radio(music based) personality that can last the test of time? Maxi I think is the only example of any longevity at national level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

ads20101 wrote: »
    Rumour:

Dara Quilty (98fm) has the afternoon slot.

He would really want to make up his mind whether he is a radio presenter or a singer. He is off more than he is on.

Station is dying a horrible death.. will be interesting to see how many listeners they have in 12 months time..

Station is dying a horrible death.. will be interesting to see how many listeners they have in 12 months time..

I completely agree - Today fm appear to have misplaced their rudder.

Keep an eye on the JNLR figures folks (I have a sneaking suspicion that today fm won't be advertising them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I think people are being a little over dramatic here, Radio station schedules can't and shouldn't stay the same forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

doc11 wrote: »
    Is there any female radio(music based) personality that can last the test of time? Maxi I think is the only example of any longevity at national level.

Probably not
    I nearly fired the radio out the window yesterday listening to Alison Curtis. She must have mentioned the word wedding 300 times, and reminded listeners (the few left) about the wedding planner who was coming up on the show.

I mean come on, wedding planners? on a saturday morning show? is the wedding planner paying for the slot?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Claire Beck was always very listenable, as was Kelly-Anne Byrne on TXFM. Wouldn't be opposed to either taking the afternoon slot.

It would certainly bring improvements to the music if nothing else.

I think people are being a little over dramatic here, Radio station schedules can't and shouldn't stay the same forever.

true, but what most people on here are saying, is that Today FM seem to want to lose their usual listeners and replace them with a younger listener.....

• Advertisement

IUA14 wrote: »
    On the 12-2.30 lunchtime slot...I wonder if 98FM will be visited yet again to fill the hole in the schedule...Dara Quilty and Brian Maher teaming up again perhaps?

As a follow on and since others have muted this possibility too...I really like Quilty but I think that slot may be better suited to a team rather than a solo presenter...it may turn out it is just Quilty but wouldn't be surprised for it to be Dara Quilty and Brian Maher reforming as a duo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Would it though? Daytime national radio is heavily playlisted and no presenter is going to be allowed stray from it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There is always scope within the playlists for the individual presenters to add their own touch. Yes, chart stuff will be dominant but it's those few filler tracks that can be the difference between quality music and just more shite.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

true, but what most people on here are saying, is that Today FM seem to want to lose their usual listeners and replace them with a younger listener.....

You are both right IMO. TPp, yes, schedules have to change. ziggy, that is exactly what Today FM are doing, and that is what they have to do if they are to survive as a station in their current form. The listenership they cultivated during the 00's is aging, so now they need to try and attract in younger listeners. Not by, as some are suggesting, aiming at the teenage market, but by aiming at the early 20's crowd who are "graduating" from the Spins, iRadio and Beat, and who are looking for something more mature.

The problem as I see it is that the schedule was settled for so long (2005-2011 you had no changes 7am-7pm, then they started changing things (sometimes out of their control like KC leaving, D'Arcy leaving, Tony, etc), the changes didn't stick (Louise, Anton), and now the overwhelming vibe of the station is that it's flailing around desperately looking for solutions. I think what a lot of people feel is that the changes are overly dramatic, and that they'll alienate their current audience much faster than they can attract a new one.

Claire Beck was always very listenable, as was Kelly-Anne Byrne on TXFM. Wouldn't be opposed to either taking the afternoon slot.

Presenters won't make a difference to the music output. Only the playlist controller and management can do that.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The listenership they cultivated during the 00's is aging, so now they need to try and attract in younger listeners. Not by, as some are suggesting, aiming at the teenage market, but by aiming at the early 20's crowd who are "graduating" from the Spins, iRadio and Beat, and who are looking for something more mature.

The problem as I see it is that the schedule was settled for so long (2005-2011 you had no changes 7am-7pm, then they started changing things (sometimes out of their control like KC leaving, D'Arcy leaving, Tony, etc), the changes didn't stick (Louise, Anton), and now the overwhelming vibe of the station is that it's flailing around desperately looking for solutions. I think what a lot of people feel is that the changes are overly dramatic, and that they'll alienate their current audience much faster than they can attract a new one.

As usual excellent point wnolan, I would agree that unlike what some people have suggested in that they are going for the teens they are not going for a drastic change and age reduction, they are to refresh and pull in listeners who are say leaving college or new to employment.

I have been highly critical of Today FM management...mainly because it has been my station of choice for 12 years now and I saw what the CEO did at 98FM...too many changes at once can backfire drastically and a station will then end up with no identity...like 98FM now. Today FM has long had an established identity and I worry he is on a course to ruin it.

However, that being said...Dempsey into Dermot and Dave into Dara Quilty and Brian Maher is something I could certainly listen to straight through the day...(not keen on Darcy but maybe in time he will stop being so bloody annoying)...Cooper, Duffy McLoone...solid line up. The worry is while that may appeal to that coveted 20's, early 30's market, will it attract enough new listeners to offset the losses...doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The handover between Ian and D&D went well there didn't sound forced in the least

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

So far to me the "major changes" look like the following from 7-7:
    7-9 Ian doing the breakfast show good, in my opinion, for that timeslot.
    9-12 currently D+D doing inane chat, lots of the predictable music, could be any presenters really
    12-2:30: currently a standin doing inane chat, lots of the predictable music, could be any presenter really
    2:30-4: FD doing inane chat, lots of the predictable music, could be any presenter really
    4:30-7: Matt same as ever
    No major changes there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

mikep wrote: »
    12-2:30: currently a standin doing inane chat, lots of the predictable music, could be any presenter really

They have now changed the shows page on the website to "Lunchtime with Muireann" which seems a bit more permanent.

Has she got the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

_feedback_ wrote: »
    They have now changed the shows page on the website to "Lunchtime with Muireann" which seems a bit more permanent.

Has she got the gig?
    Well they are supposed to be announcing who has the gig this week - if its internal then it has to be between Muireann and Paula. Was Paula on this morning before Ian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

Oh god...not Muireann permanently...
    I compared Today Fm to Atlantic 252 on the D+D thread...with their "major changes" they could go the same route as Atlantic..

Advertisement