Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

New Management could allow for the return of Foley. The current CEO of Today FM would have been his old boss at 98FM?? I do know that he was insufferable to work with and wasnt well liked by colleagues in Today FM so that might be a problem!

He was also pretty insufferable to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is it just me lads or has Darcy reigned it in a bit? When he comes on I tend to zone out but I can't remember any time this week where he had that god awful intro or his fake banter with ed Smith ??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nc6000 wrote: »
    He was also pretty insufferable to listen to.

You sure it's not ray Darcy you're thinking of ? He was disliked by the end in today fm. The handovers either side of his show after he left was night and day, Ray foley seemed to be really well liked in today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I like the idea of the 5 at 5, heard it for the first time this evening, and think it has the potential to liven up the show a bit, however, I'd do it on the half hour and have it a little less obviously scripted if possible, and leave the on the hour news bulletins standard until Matt and the newsreader have built up enough of a rapport where it actually sounds really natural.

I think it's a stupid idea and I listen daily. Just read the f "in news. Why do all presenters feel they need a nice cosy chat with the newsreader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He had a terrible interview with an American journalist living in Ireland last night while discussing an article the journalist had written on the Alt-right for the Irish Times online edition. While I would agree with a lot of what Matt said, I thought he was needlessly hostile to the beliefs of those referenced in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is it just me lads or has Darcy reigned it in a bit? When he comes on I tend to zone out but I can't remember any time this week where he had that god awful intro or his fake banter with ed Smith ??

I actually thought that myself this week, he was a little more bearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You'd really miss Tony Fenton wouldn't you.

Ian is one of the reasons Today Fm is the success that it is. So i don't see him going anywhere, especially as he has Mario and Gift Grub. If he goes, they will go with him.

D&D at 9am is a shocking decision IMO. They're grand for some lunchtime fun but thats about it. They obviously agreed to everything that Anton wouldn't such as changes to playlists, topics for discussion, contributors, guests. So really it wont be their show, it will be managements show and they will be the voice of it.

I expected the likes of Will Leahy to have gotten the 9-12pm show. He went for it after Ray left but Anton got it.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ray Foley returned.

They will have to have more female presenters during primetime hours so they might give Muireann her own show but she can be hard to listen too

I actually enjoy Louises show at 7pm. I think she plays a good mix of stuff. Definitely introduced me to good music i wouldn't normally listen too.

Will Leahy? His style of radio is very simple, read texts and play chart music. He'd be totally lost on a breakfast show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Maybe, just maybe, Paula, Louise and Alison will get a 'Loose Women' type lunch time show to discuss kids, accents and not having to do 5am starts anymore....

Just suggesting to see can I hear the outpourings of outrage from where I am.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

liam7831 wrote: »
    I think it's a stupid idea and I listen daily. Just read the f "in news. Why do all presenters feel they need a nice cosy chat with the newsreader

Makes the show more of flowing conversation as opposed to separate segments. Done well, I get the appeal.

Lunchtime will most likely be Muireann and Lenny or Ed Smith unless they spring a surprise!

As for Will Leahy...if that is what you are looking for in radio I think Today FM is not the station for you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

siblers wrote: »
    Will Leahy? His style of radio is very simple, read texts and play chart music. He'd be totally lost on a breakfast show

Maybe some station should be brave and have a bog standard music show without the forced wackiness and comedy that hour of the morning.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Maybe some station should be brave and have a bog standard music show without the forced wackiness and comedy that hour of the morning.

Like TXFM?

I would expect (if the management in Today FM still have any sense) that the announcement about lunchtimes will be made this week and the show to start on the 23rd along with D&D in the mid-morning slot...I think if Muireann is going to get it, or be part of the team presenting it, then I do not see her presenting the lunchtime show the next two weeks (or at least the day of and after the announcement) as they will want to launch it as a "new show"...will be interesting to keep an eye on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was in the car Saturday and had Today FM on. The shows now are more or less indistinguishable from each other at this stage. Its the same music, with the same generic sounding DJ on every show.

You then go over to 4FM and that is so amatuer its unreal. 2FM is long established rubbish.

Irish radio is a disgrace music wise.

Seems they have changed the idents to ''Lunchtime on TodayFM'' now until the new show is in place.

IUA14 wrote: »
    Seems they have changed the idents to ''Lunchtime on TodayFM'' now until the new show is in place.

Yes and Muireann is no longer saying "sitting in" for D&D she's just calling it lunchtime... her and Lenny are good... with a few features it could make a good show but I'm still hoping on The King returning

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Muireann is no longer saying "sitting in" for D&D she's just calling it lunchtime... her and Lenny are good... with a few features it could make a good show but I'm still hoping on The King returning

God I find her more annoying today than normal..She is making F D'Arcy sound good...
    I hope she won't be standing in for too long more although the way thy are heading I'm dreading who they are going to put in this and the 9-12 slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

mikep wrote: »
    God I find her more annoying today than normal..She is making F D'Arcy sound good...
    I hope she won't be standing in for too long more although the way thy are heading I'm dreading who they are going to put in this and the 9-12 slot.

Dermot & Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Have D+D been confirmed for this slot??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mikep wrote: »
    Have D+D been confirmed for this slot??

Been confirmed for 9 - 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Yes and Muireann is no longer saying "sitting in" for D&D she's just calling it lunchtime... her and Lenny are good... with a few features it could make a good show but I'm still hoping on The King returning

Would the stand in person really be left in place if they are being lined up to take over new programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

reg114 wrote: »
    Would the stand in person really be left in place if they are being lined up to take over new programme?
    If they were getting a different slot, I doubt it but if it was the same slot then I wouldn't see them having a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sideshow Cecil

I don't think my ears could take muireann o Connell followed by Fergal Darcy everyday,however I think it could be a good way to make criminals talk!! I would take Louise Duffy over either of them even!
    I can see today fm giving the lunchtime slot to some one of their stand in presenters and I honestly don't think any of them are good enough, I also don't see Ian or Matt's shows being changed as their doing fine as they are..

If they were getting a different slot, I doubt it but if it was the same slot then I wouldn't see them having a problem with it.

I don't see that being the case...given what they did with Dermot and Dave and their publically stated ''major changes'' they will want to announce a new lunchtime show and not just that it will continue on as is (that would be my guess but god knows these days).

If it is to be Muireann I would expect her to disappear off lunch just before it is announced and return when the new show is launched...equally if it is any current TodayFM presenter I would expect them to have at least a week off air before they start on lunchtimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

the only 45 minutes of radio I really got to listen to during the day were D+D.
    silly sports, stay stuff, Tony Cascarino

screw you Today FM
    week ruined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Chris and Ciara might be worth a bet to take over lunchtime, their 3 year 2fm contract expires March 1 afaik

Chris and Ciara might be worth a bet to take over lunchtime, their 3 year 2fm contract expires March 1 afaik

They'd certainly fit with type of radio they seem intent on turning Today fm into.

Actually...that would be good, don't mind them at all and would be natural move for them I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I heard Alison Curtis on an ad for the Today FM radio course talking about the lecture she gives on it. Saying your twitter handle, talk about your kids and laugh inanely not much to it after that.

• Advertisement

Genuinely seems like TodayFM haven't decided on a new lunchtime show...saw Dave on Twitter yesterday mention they had no clue who was getting it and Ian said the same this morning with an air of bewilderment.

Advertisement