Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Paula will definitely get the 12 o clock slot, no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

D&D are great. Off to Radio 1 with all you haters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Bandage wrote: »
    I'm within that 25-40 age demographic which (I think) Today FM is targeting but I must have very different preferences to what management perceive as attractive to potential listeners. "Wacky banter", high jinks and all round gas craic from those cheeky scamps Dermot & Dave - eh, no thanks.

And the music primarily aimed for teenage girls doesn't help...Their tune selection has gone drastically bad lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Synode wrote: »

Different strokes for different folk. I like the guys myself but I can also see why some don't. Likewise, my views on Alison would be different to a lot more listeners.

All I can say is the better bring the two lads back soon as I'm tuning out between 9 to 4.30 as it is, peak advertising times, and I might not tune back in if the current lineup stays on much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Paula will definitely get the 12 o clock slot, no doubt about it.

No way is she good enough to hold down a regular prime time slot like that. It would be madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    No way is she good enough to hold down a regular prime time slot like that. It would be madness.

It'll end up worse than Louise's efforts at the lunch and 2.30 spot .

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

I like muireann i have to say. Her and foley together in that slot would be good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    I like muireann i have to say. Her and foley together in that slot would be good.

They would but Foley will never be back at TodayFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Loughc wrote: »
    They would but Foley will never be back at TodayFM.

why

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

doc11 wrote: »
    why

He publicly burnt his bridge with current TodayFM management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm presuming Dermot & Dave won't be back on air until they move to the new slot and Alison and Muireann will continue to fill in for the rest of the month. So why do they keep calling the 12.00-14.30 slot the Dermot & Dave show and continue playing their jingle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

And the music primarily aimed for teenage girls doesn't help...Their tune selection has gone drastically bad lately

I think the more commercial music playlists have been foisted on presenters by management. A station wide move to become more relevant to the younger target audience during the prime time slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'm presuming Dermot & Dave won't be back on air until they move to the new slot and Alison and Muireann will continue to fill in for the rest of the month. So why do they keep calling the 12.00-14.30 slot the Dermot & Dave show and continue playing their jingle etc?

It's most likely sponsorship reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

No way.....seriously???? I'm not being smart but I honestly thought she was American.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Muireann is from Limerick, I believe she was in the same year as me :D - I'd give her a chance, even though she is very too excited about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The D&D show would be fine if you got rid of one of the Ds (the Dublin one) and at least then you wouldnt have the constant forced laughing at each others jokes and the one-up-manship of trying to out-funny each other ALL the time. It got tiresome very quickly for me anyway.

Having that type of show on at 9 in the morning will grate with people I reckon, anytime Neil Delamere filled it at that time I had to turn off rapidly as the trying to be funny all the time was way too much at that time of morning.

Maybe thats what people want now, scripted jokes, talk about funny videos on youtube, bland music.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

BPKS wrote: »

Maybe thats what people want now, scripted jokes, talk about funny videos on youtube, bland music.....

I think it's what the management and market people in radio stations think people want but from talking to friends and reading on here it's definitely not the type of radio the majority want.
    Maybe it's becuase the people who it's aimed at are instantly engaging via social media. I certainly don't have time to be commenting or liking posts on fb during work, doesn't mean I'm not listening though.
    I just want to listen to good radio with mixture of decent talk and music.
    Like somebody mentioned a few posts back, I haven't listened to Today Fm between 9-4:30 since Christmashe either, and I won't hold my breath on it happening anytime soon.

BPKS wrote: »
    The D&D show would be fine if you got rid of one of the Ds (the Dublin one) and at least then you wouldnt have the constant forced laughing at each others jokes and the one-up-manship of trying to out-funny each other ALL the time. It got tiresome very quickly for me anyway.

Having that type of show on at 9 in the morning will grate with people I reckon, anytime Neil Delamere filled it at that time I had to turn off rapidly as the trying to be funny all the time was way too much at that time of morning.

Dermot has done the show on his own before and it was fine but it wasn't the same (same with Dave on his own). They're a team and work best when together. And they are nothing like Neil Delamere.

The forced laughter thing gets thrown a lot. Fair enough, they do it a bit but I think they genuinely find each other funny and are properly laughing. A lot of the time this gets mistaken for fake laughing. They're not everyone's cup of tea but personally I think they're hilarious. Great fun and they don't take things too seriously.

I loved Anton but the content was getting worse as the months went on and I have no doubt that's why he jumped. If they do the same to D&D it will fail. If they let them just be themselves then it will be great

I love D&D but think this is a terrible move by them and by Today FM. It's a slot that isn't suited to D&D's type irrevelance and that Anton was perfect for. I loved D&D at lunch as you were awake and ready for some light hearted radio.

That said, someone mentioned Will Leahy at the slot and I'd have been very hopeful about it, tho I know his career puts paid to that.

I think it'll be Muireann (if she's willing to do the early morning slot), Ian, D&D, PMacS, Fergal D'arcy followed by Matt. PMacS will be aimed at the younger listener I think and I feel she was given the morning slot to see could she handle her own show - I know it doesn't go down well here but what has Today FM management been doing lately that has gone down well here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

PMacS will result in me turning off..I alos don't think D+D will work at that time..It looks to me like TodayFM are really going down the route of trying to be 2FM. The big difference will be that TodayFM don't have the taxpayer covering their losses...Is this the beginning of the end??

The reason I still listen to Today Fm is exactly because it is not 2FM!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Honestly, I think they have fallen into, and are falling into, the same traps as 2FM. Ray D'Arcy was Today FM's Gerry Ryan (station built around him, chaos ensues once he leaves), Ian Dempsey is their Larry Gogan (a quality broadcaster being left in his slot out of loyalty and respect even as the show ages and stagnates).

I've said it before, but they stood still for so long, resting on the laurels of a golden generation during the 00's and first few years of the 10's, they haven't brought in new talent gradually, and now have to massively over-correct their course of action which will alienate the top end of their demographic sooner than they can attract the bottom end.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

I didn't realise that Will Leahy was a practicing solicitor. Leaving Limerick wouldnt be an option so.

New Management could allow for the return of Foley. The current CEO of Today FM would have been his old boss at 98FM?? I do know that he was insufferable to work with and wasnt well liked by colleagues in Today FM so that might be a problem!

I didn't realise that Will Leahy was a practicing solicitor. Leaving Limerick wouldnt be an option so.

New Management could allow for the return of Foley. The current CEO of Today FM would have been his old boss at 98FM?? I do know that he was insufferable to work with and wasnt well liked by colleagues in Today FM so that might be a problem!

No the current top man in Today FM is the guy who got rid of him from 98FM and it sounds like he was the guy who vetoed his return to Today FM after he was appointed top man in Today FM.

How do you know he was insufferable to work with? He has loads of friends from his time in Today FM. The only one I know hated him was Ray Darcy, and who cares what that curmudgeon thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I loved Anton but the content was getting worse as the months went on and I have no doubt that's why he jumped. If they do the same to D&D it will fail. If they let them just be themselves then it will be great

QFT..

I was sorry to hear he had left, but had already switched off due to the celebrity 'nutritionists' etc that the show seemed to move towards after Ann Gleeson arrived.

I had also turned away from D&D as any semblance of musical choice seemed to have been replaced with the usual playlisted sh1te in recent months..

So long Today FM.. one less listener in the age group you no longer want to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bit off topic the topic here but one thing that is bugging me lately is how they have replaced the news on Matt Cooper with this fake conversation "5 at 5" or whatever.

Matt - "Whats this about Donald Trump on twitter then?"

Newsreader - "Well Matt Donald Trump has tweeted....<insert news here>"

Matt - "Oh right, I suppose Obama won't be happy about that?"

Newsreader - "You are right Matt, Obama has responded with <insert rest of news here>"

Silly stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Bit off topic the topic here but one thing that is bugging me lately is how they have replaced the news on Matt Cooper with this fake conversation "5 at 5" or whatever.

Newsreader - "You are right Matt, Obama has responded with <insert rest of news here>"

Silly stuff altogether!

I presume it's to appeal to the younger audience they are seeking who are too busy actually looking at Twitter to listen to the radio :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I would be finished with todayfm if they brought back ray Foley. Terrible host IMO. Have more or less given up newstalk because of Williams in the morning and hook at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Silly stuff altogether!

Not sure what the point of the 5 at 5 and 6 at 6 is. Just give the news and get on with it. I wonder did Matt have much input into that decision.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, that format for news is totally ridiculous. They are also replicating the kind of dross from Spin 1038 about "celebs" and "...and finally" bits that audibly drive Matt nuts.

As probably the best, most credible journalist in the country so far (with Gavan Reilly hot on his heels imo), he must be disgusted having to pretend he gives a fuck who Taylor Swift is never mind who she has on the spin this hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like the idea of the 5 at 5, heard it for the first time this evening, and think it has the potential to liven up the show a bit, however, I'd do it on the half hour and have it a little less obviously scripted if possible, and leave the on the hour news bulletins standard until Matt and the newsreader have built up enough of a rapport where it actually sounds really natural.

Advertisement