Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wet snow now

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Was snowing heavy in glencullen when leaving rain in sandyford/ leopardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wind needs please to turn the volume down....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wind warnings for Connaught and Munster likely to come into operation for tomorrow evening/ night.

Rain will spread northeastwards tomorrow with some heavy falls occurring.
    Becoming very windy over Connacht and Munster with a possibility of gales and storm force gusts (updates will follow through the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Potential for some nice falls of Snow on montains in the East and South East Friday night and Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Status yellow wind warning for Leitrim. Donegal. Mayo and Sligo.

I have yet to repair the damage that Doris did.
    At least we get a warning this time.:-)

OldRio wrote: »
    Status yellow wind warning for Leitrim. Donegal. Mayo and Sligo.

I have yet to repair the damage that Doris did.
    At least we get a warning this time.:-)

That warning is only valid until 1pm today. A steady decline in wind speeds today, cold and calm tonight, winds on the increase tomorrow evening/ night possibly some very strong gusts now looking likely for munster and south leinster, according to the latest met eireann update

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind warnings for Connaught and Munster likely to come into operation for tomorrow evening/ night.

Rain will spread northeastwards tomorrow with some heavy falls occurring.
    Becoming very windy over Connacht and Munster with a possibility of gales and storm force gusts (updates will follow through the day).

so tomorrow morning is ok! Need stuff like meds.. THANK YOU! Would be lost without these warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 00Z Arpege had 150-160 knot gusts in southern Kerry and Cork tomorrow evening but that madness has changed in the 06Z

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible wet, cold and windy day ending what has been a very unpleasant February and another dead duck winter in terms of snow and cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonzo....In fairness there were a couple of snow days in dublin this winter (granted the snow didn't last long) and had a day of lying snow last winter. What do people expect? 2010 was phenomenal but a couple of snow days each winter is probably what is to be expected. Have said it before and will say it again, my friend moved to London nearly 5 years ago and he has hardly seen more than a snowflake in that time and no lying snow.

Ireland and the uk are never going to deliver much on the snow front, unless you live in the Scottish highlands or somewhere like the Sally gap or Wicklow mountains in general. Also just because you don't have snow in your garden doesn't mean other parts of Ireland are not getting snow. Ireland gets snow every year, it's just that some parts get more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Met eireann gave a yellow warning for wind in the northwest for last night, judging by damage caused I would say they underestimated it and it should have been an orange warning!

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Wexford and Galway
    West to northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h at times during the period.

Issued:Tuesday 28 February 2017 15:00
    Valid:Wednesday 01 March 2017 14:00 to Thursday 02 March 2017 06:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gonzo....In fairness there were a couple of snow days in dublin this winter (granted the snow didn't last long) and had a day of lying snow last winter. What do people expect? 2010 was phenomenal but a couple of snow days each winter is probably what is to be expected. Have said it before and will say it again, my friend moved to London nearly 5 years ago and he has hardly seen more than a snowflake in that time and no lying snow.

Ireland and the uk are never going to deliver much on the snow front, unless you live in the Scottish highlands or somewhere like the Sally gap or Wicklow mountains in general. Also just because you don't have snow in your garden doesn't mean other parts of Ireland are not getting snow. Ireland gets snow every year, it's just that some parts get more than others.

I realize all that, nobody is expecting a 2010 style scenario any winter, those are very rare, however a day or 2 of lying snow would be nice most winters, not too much to ask, it doesn't have to be a foot of snow, 2 to 3 inchs of lying snow, hearing that crunch under your feet, take the camera outside for a few winter photos, a little bit of lamppost watching. These sort of small snow events used to happen almost every winter, now it seems we are lucky if we get it once every 10 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds this afternoon on a par with anything Doris or Ewan gave. Max gust 69km/h with clear skies. Warm in the sun if sheltered from the strong breeze

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Winds this afternoon on a par with anything Doris or Ewan gave. Max gust 69km/h with clear skies. Warm in the sun if sheltered from the strong breeze

Very windy in east cork as well and considerable wind chill. Tomorrow looks more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think you are getting confused with expectations over hope. Do you think we actually expect anything like 2010 every year? No we don't but we can hope, can't we? And when we say what a disappointment it has been, it's because our hopes didn't come true, so it is a disappointment. I like to compare snow in Ireland like 2010 or 1947 to being rich and successful. Being rich and successful is a very hard thing to achieve and to many people is a dream of theirs. We all hope (well not all) that we can achieve successful lives and live in big mansions with pools and all :P but that's HOPE, we don't expect it. Same thing with snow, it's very hard to achieve snow like 2010 or 1947 because we need the pattern or setup to be exactly right. We can't just have a moderate El Nino and lack of solar activity and expect a cold Winter with plenty of snowfall. It's much more complex than that and I'm sure that all weather enthusiasts here know that. As a result, we don't expect snow, we just hope for it.

I was expecting this Winter to be cold but I wasn't expecting a very snowy Winter by any means. Unfortunately, we were so unlucky with the AO positive and the NAO negative or vice versa with never both negative this Winter. Eastern Europe got a very cold Winter. Same thing happened in 2005/06. I was expecting this Winter to be cold because solar activity was quite weak and given how warm last Winter was. Mother Nature proved me wrong and showed me that I should consider other factors before expecting a cold Winter. Anyway, I think I've rambled on a bit too much here :P. You get the main point I'm trying to say here, we can hope for snow but we don't expect it.

EDIT: But what we do expect from snow is at least one day with flurries which we have done. I've recorded 2 this Winter so I have not complained. Go on, I dare you to go back through my posts haha to see if I'm lying.

I recorded a good few snow showers today, nothing exciting but it was nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Windier I think than Doris here near Arklow today
    Wind vane is temporarily out of action untill I put up a new pole but the gusts are quite violent
    The next 300 yr old tree up from the one Doris blew down is waving and putting up a good fight

Windier I think than Doris here near Arklow today
    Wind vane is temporarily out of action untill I put up a new pole but the gusts are quite violent
    The next 300 yr old tree up from the one Doris blew down is waving and putting up a good fight

Much windier today here than Ewan on Sunday. Doris was much stronger than both.

• Advertisement

1647 Met update for tomorrow Wednesday:

Many areas dry tomorrow morning, some sunshine in the midlands and north and frost clearing. The band of rain in the south and southwest will spread northeastwards in the afternoon, with heavy falls likely and local spot flooding, but much of Ulster will stay dry until evening apart from scattered showers.

A cold day with highest temperatures only 5 to 9 degrees Celsius and becoming very windy in the south and southwest with possibly severe winds in coastal fringes. Rain may well turn to snow in places tomorrow evening but drier weather will move into the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Well..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just had a gust of 42kts in the shower there, rather unexpected!

West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like tomorrow evening could see some nice frontal snowfall for favoured places!

Shannon airport forecasting possible sleet from 3pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AndiG

Crazy gusts here in Wexford.... my fence just gave way. Much much stronger than Doris or Ewan. My weather station also out of action so can't get a reading on wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fecking crazy at times when the gusts hit, did Met Eireann say this was coming?
    Lovely day otherwise ass you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    I realize all that, nobody is expecting a 2010 style scenario any winter, those are very rare, however a day or 2 of lying snow would be nice most winters, not too much to ask, it doesn't have to be a foot of snow, 2 to 3 inchs of lying snow, hearing that crunch under your feet, take the camera outside for a few winter photos, a little bit of lamppost watching. These sort of small snow events used to happen almost every winter, now it seems we are lucky if we get it once every 10 years.

I live in an area which does see some sort of snowfall every year, even during the very mild winters. This winter though is the first I have ever experienced where we have had no lying snow, if even for a few hours, despite 3 or 4 days, (well below average) days where snow was observed.

I think the culprit is the Arctic. There is just no real cold air to tap into any more, and by the time cold uppers do get this far south, even in direct northerlies, they have warmed up significantly.

ANOM2m_past_MTH_arctic.png

The image above shows the temperature anomaly for this February. Says it all really. Images for both Dec & Jan are equally as grim.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Looks like tomorrow evening could see some nice frontal snowfall for favoured places!

Shannon airport forecasting possible sleet from 3pm tomorrow.

I presume it will be for favoured high ground as per usual. It usually gets downgraded the closer we get!

Joan Blackburn on radio 1 there, "tomorrow evening the rain may well turn to snow down to low levels before clearing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I'm getting tired of the weather forecast saying "Ireland going to get snow tomorrow " when the only friggin places getting snow are the bloody mountains. Is it even possible to get a dusting of snow on low ground anymore? Also, when it's mild it rains the whole time but as soon as the cold comes all we get is damn dry weather why no snow? I mean at -1 we should get snow especially considering the whole day was raining and suddenly it becomes dry...anyone agree with me on this? All I ask for is a dusting even a half inch of snow... Also I don't know why people like summer here because summer here is also dismal.

Advertisement