Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Horrible day here too wet and dull.

Considerably different to what I read as the forecast for today. Clonmel was dull with very heavy rain from mid afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ireland's January Temperature Records Update:

jyIoxAD.png

And I promise you, there won't be any more updates. The next post on this will be the actual thing completed, though it can never be fully completed 'cause we have future Januarys to consider ;).

EDIT: I'll try upload on IMGUR in about an hour as it won't let me now.

EDIT: Here ya go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day and horrible week, feeling cold and wet all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day and horrible week, feeling cold and wet all week.

Easily the worst week here since June 26th-July 2nd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy in Wexford around the middle of the day tomorrow.

fhHzJoL.png

6HLlzhu.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Wexford, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    Southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach gust speeds of 110 to 120km/hr along southern and southeastern coastal counties from early tomorrow Sunday until early afternoon.

Issued:Saturday 25 February 2017 19:44
    Valid:Sunday 26 February 2017 06:00 to Sunday 26 February 2017 15:00

opZJiRT.png

URyDeWt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like some of those counties who missed out on Storm Doris are going to see some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Did tomorrow's wind come out of nowhere..there's not mention of it I'm mts forecast this morning and nothing about it in this thread til about an hour ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Orange warning, does that not merit Storm Ewan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Meath and Tipperary
    South to southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h at times from Sunday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Issued:Saturday 25 February 2017 20:00
    Valid:Sunday 26 February 2017 06:00 to Sunday 26 February 2017 15:00

Here's the yellow warning from Met Eireann, seems I won't even notice the winds here in Clare tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Orange warning, does that not merit Storm Ewan?

Should be, at least according to MEs own criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    Should be, at least according to MEs own criteria.

Storms are named only if they bring significant land-based impacts. So it all depends on what "significant" means.

From met.ie:
    This scheme is focussed on large-scale, cyclonic windstorms with potential for significant land-based wind impacts – often systems which develop rapidly and/or move quickly towards us; this means that all severe wind events giving rise to status Orange or status Red weather warnings will be named.

Showed it as Storm Ewan on the Weather Forecast after the News at 21.30

Storms are named only if they bring significant land-based impacts. So it all depends on what "significant" means.

From met.ie:

Yeah, read the last bit of that met.ie quote ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

also mentioned some strong gusts on the west coast later on tomorrow.

Nice detailed map of the the areas affected by the yellow and orange warnings.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/835613505734787072

Extremely windy on Sunday, especially across southern and eastern counties. Southwest winds associated with Storm Ewan, will be fresh to strong and very gusty, with some severe and damaging gusts along south and southeast coasts. Becoming wet too, with widespread heavy rain and localised flooding. The rain will turn more showery later in the day, but with some wintry showers possible in the northwest. Feeling cool in the wind and rain, with highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees Celsius.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I would never be an advocate of starting threads willy nilly but no dedicated thread for Storm Ewan is surprising especially considering the prime area's to be in the firing line rarely bare the brunt of these storms.
    The Arpege model didn't perform well for the South East for Storm Doris so we will see will it be more accurate for Storm Ewan.
    My website will have two streaming cams running so they may be worth checking out tomorrow

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

I would never be an advocate of starting threads willy nilly but no dedicated thread for Storm Ewan is surprising especially considering the prime area's to be in the firing line rarely bare the brunt of these storms.
    The Arpege model didn't perform well for the South East for Storm Doris so we will see will it be more accurate for Storm Ewan.
    My website will have two streaming cams running so they may be worth checking out tomorrow

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

It's not really much of a system (near us. It is currently bringing hurricane-force sustained winds to southern Greenland). 12 hours of gales in the southeastern and eastern coasts tomorrow but no real low pressure centre anywhere near us. Not the same thing as Doris at all. Not really sure why it was named to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Oh fcekin lovely
    Doris done in a beautiful near 300yr old drooping ash tree here and now we're to have another one in Wicklow from a direction we ARE actually exposed to-So worse

Oh fcekin lovely

What low centre?? :confused:

410334.PNG

Not the same thing as Doris at all. Not really sure why it was named to be honest.

From http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=402:
    all severe wind events giving rise to status Orange or status Red weather warnings will be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh fcekin lovely
    Doris done in a beautiful near 300yr old drooping ash tree here and now we're to have another one in Wicklow from a direction we ARE actually exposed to-So worse

Oh fcekin lovely

AWWW! I have to admit that when I read re that tree ( could not open the photo) I thought FIREWOOD... Sad I know and I dearly love trees

Potentially stormy in the west on Wednesday.

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

The Arpege has that as a polar low clipping northern Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A loud, long intense and heavy hail shower here. Whitened the garden nicely and a little has stayed.

Wind is wailing. West Connemara, 400 ft asl.

One to watch all right for Weds night /Thurs morning

uQNgiVT.png

5L13sI3.gif

intense showers here,hitting the west coast,with very squally winds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

As has previously been stated, anyone saying 'here' should clarify where 'here' is, cos it doesn't show on mobiles.

Advertisement