Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For some reason, I'm only seeing this now and at last someone spells Sryan correctly :pac: (without the Bruen that is as posters on this tend to spell sryanbruen correctly but not Sryan on its own :P).

On April 1st, 1992, Clones in Co. Monaghan recorded a maximum of only 4c. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have to wait 'til April 2013 for temperatures as low as that during the day in April again? April 1992 was an awfully miserable month with some very cool days like the one just mentioned, one of the wettest on record (wettest on record at Valentia Observatory to this day) and is still the dullest on record in most places though April 1966 was generally duller here in the east. Birr recorded only 47% of its average April sunshine in April 1992 which goes to show how poorly dull it was. The years 1992-1994 were known for exceptional dull weather here in Ireland with many of the months being record breakingly dull such as April 1992 (just mentioned), January 1993, February 1993, December 1993, February 1994 and June 1994.

Spring 2008 was extremely forgettable if I'm completely honest despite the lowest March pressure ever recorded in Ireland (950.1hPa at Shannon Airport on the 10th) and Ireland's warmest May on record.

Cold or snowy events in Spring that I can remember:

30/31 March 2010 - This was an amazing experience and is largely forgotten by many. I recorded heavy rain on the 29th which would turn gradually to snow on the 30th and then just out of nowhere, I recorded actual blizzards. Easily, the third best snow event of 2010 here after November 27-December 2 and December 17-23. It was the best snow in March I have experienced so far. The snow melted on April 1st but did stay for the day on the 31st here which was amazing for March. March 2013's snowfall may have not been up to high standard for us snow lovers but hell yeah, this event in 2010 certainly was.

18-20 March 2007 - Largely forgotten I can see as I never see it mentioned by anybody. I don't blame y'all not remembering it anyway because it wasn't particularly memorable or remarkable, not at all. March 19th on the Met Éireann March 2007 monthly weather bulletin states:

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2007-Mar.pdf

1-5 March 2006 - I recorded some flurries but nothing much. However, the cold was quite extreme with a minimum of -7.1c on March 3rd I recorded.

Here's Ash Wednesday 2006 for you Graces7 ;):

No problem Sryan;)

Yes April 1992 was almost equalled by a a very cold spell for the first third of April 1994.

Yes we had a serious blizzard 30-31st March and snow lay in places until 10th April 2010.

17th March 2006 had a high temp of OC at home, grey and fine snow. The 28th February 2006 began a 3 or 4 day cold spell. I remember i never run with gloves but running in twilight 6.20pm ish on 1st March 2006 i would have worn gloves if i had a pair! The coldest i ever remember my hands being as an adult was stripping a silage pit in bare hands early March during the 2001 cold spell. The tyres i was firing off the pit were full of ice and rolling up the ice filled pollatine was hard on the bare hands also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Does anyone know the record for highest temp for 20 feb its a balmy 13 dgs at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maudi wrote: »
    Does anyone know the record for highest temp for 20 feb its a balmy 13 dgs at the min

The highest I could find for February 20th is 14.5c at Dublin Airport in 1998, though I'm sure some other station bet this on the same date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Temp here today in Waterford City was 15.2c which is a station record for Feb. 20th at my station.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Maudi wrote: »

Roches Point got up 15.0C , seems to be the highest of the stations

78Byuq0.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Max Temp here today in Waterford City was 15.2c which is a station record for Feb. 20th at my station.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

It actually hit 15 just now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

John Eagleton at 17.58 said that somewhere that sounded like "Moyne" in east Cork got up to 16.6 °C today, a February record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

John Eagleton at 17.58 said that somewhere that sounded like "Moyne" in east Cork got up to 16.6 °C today, a February record.

Perhaps, Cloyne? Which is near Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Really? I thought the chap had a Cork accent!

Actually I think it was Cloyne and it was Pat Clarke, not John Eagleton. I'm about as accurate as a Daily Mail winter forecast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Continuous heavy deluge... West Co Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Record temperatures around the country this week yet hardly gets a mention never mind its own thread yet we had nearly 50 pages about a bit of frost a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Record temperatures around the country this week yet hardly gets a mention never mind its own thread yet we had nearly 50 pages about a bit of frost a couple of weeks ago

It was a local record, something which happens fairly regularly when you consider the amount of stations in the country. FWIW the warmest February day was 18.1C, so 16.6C whilst impressive for February is a fair bit off the record for the country.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    It was a local record, something which happens fairly regularly when you consider the amount of stations in the country. FWIW the warmest February day was 18.1C, so 16.6C whilst impressive for February is a fair bit off the record for the country.

I think it was a record for this day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Possibly very windy or stormy early Sat morning into Sat. for much of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Possibly very windy or stormy early Sat morning into Sat. for much of Ireland.
    Goal kicking etc will be tough in the Aviva:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wet and blustery day in Castlebar, 10.2mm of rain so far with gusts getting over 60 km/hr, quite mild though at 11.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still quite murky, but the first day in a few days where there is actually some visibility. 2.2mm since midnight, hasn't rained in a few hours now. Little windy at the moment, 14kts average. West Clare

JUst home and a wild and wet day out there. One to be home by the fire.

Almost missed the turning as the familiar mountains were ... not there. Thick fog.

West Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Since people seem interested in temperature records for each day of every month, I will try to compile records like how the guys do on at Ukweatherworld for the UK. The thing is, it's going to be much more challenging to do so here for Ireland. I would appreciate any help and any research. Please VM me on this if you find any records that I can compile. My PM inbox is nearly full.

If you're confused of what I'm saying, I mean something like this:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=54188

• Advertisement

Getting ferocious out there. went out for fuel and could barely stand up in the drenching wind.. seamless wind

The lane down the mountain was awash in places and the stream that feeds the house with water is a raging torrent high at the back of the house. Still deluging..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

miserable wet and windy day. Mild but feeling colder than the sub zero temps with sun,frost and ice days we had in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Worst day in a while here in Castlebar. strong and very gusty westerly winds along with persistent rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its a Dirty day as my granmother used to say, in north meath today, fairly windy, with misty rain on and off, feels colder then it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Bad day here too, wet, windy and poor visibility, miserable is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I know the tempatures are coming in as high today but it doesent feel that mild at all.

The tail end of storm Doris eh, a little chance of snow on norther hills too. You'd have to wonder where I am where they got dry and clear today from?
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-doris-weather-warning-gusts-of-up-to-80kmh-and-heavy-rain-to-hit-ireland-35469535.html

Models differing a bit Fri Night into Sat morning but looks windy especially on the coasts.

L2CyjhZ.png

rvENnAB.gif

SCrMr2s.gif

Wintry showers on Thurs of sleet and snow on high ground and talk of risk of thunder and hail especially in the Northern half of the country, feeling very cool in the wind.

gKgjqZT.png

Uar3rWW.gif

uFwoZLs.gif

• Advertisement

It looks like this wet spell is going to persist for a while, its been a dry winter in general here with very little need for the wet gear, pity to see it get so wet now when the spring work is due to start.
    Ground has gotten soggy here already.

Advertisement