Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous day and night here, like Fortitude except mild with sheets of rain and roaring wind. Everywhere soaking. Worst day of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrendous day and night here, like Fortitude except mild with sheets of rain and roaring wind. Everywhere soaking. Worst day of the year so far.

The 3rd of this month still lives on to be the worst day of the year so far here. It was a very similar day to many days of the previous week with drabs of rain, not particularly heavy, very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »

Not sure what "Fortitude" but a wild wet night up here. Distinctly sleep deprived; was not expecting it to be so bad . Of course I sleep up in the rafters but even so. Loud winds, even noisier rain.

Hoping it eases enough for me to stock fuel in. Glad i was out yesterday too,.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Just wondering about this "storm", I'm a bit confused looking at forecasts today, and then the charts on here, because the charts seem to show stronger winds in the South East than predicted ? I can't read charts very well.

Grace7 I wish I was in the rafters, I love wind/rain on the roof, but I'm in a downstairs room facing North East and it could be howling outside but I hardly hear anything :o:(

Just wondering about this "storm", I'm a bit confused looking at forecasts today, and then the charts on here, because the charts seem to show stronger winds in the South East than predicted ? I can't read charts very well.

Grace7 I wish I was in the rafters, I love wind/rain on the roof, but I'm in a downstairs room facing North East and it could be howling outside but I hardly hear anything :o:(

lol,, be careful what you wish for! At the last place I once migrated downstairs and used a camp bed, so great was the din; and also there were dangerous unstable trees.

I was just down in the kitchen and so quiet there. Earplugs later...

The alert for tomorrow has ben upgraded to orange ; today is a dress rehearsal

Fuel in and the stream at the back is flowing fast and free and within its banks.

Love it all up here, but it tests.

• Advertisement

Awful day, second worst day of the month here.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Well what an awful winter it's been from a coldies point of view. Easily up there with the horror winters of 2001-2007 inclusive!!

The only saving grace was the lack of wind & rain. Thank God we are only onto a "D" storm at the end of February.

One thing I've learned this season is that the views and predictions of the online experts, particularly those over on the UK boards, were in the end, worth diddly squat! I think a lot of their front loaded very cold winter forecasts were based on what they wanted to see, the majority of them being biased towards snow.

Let's look forward to Spring now and the brighter nights!

My advice to coldies for the 2017/2018 winter season is to expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. This coming November will mark SEVEN years since lying snow was last recorded in Dublin City!

Have a great Spring everyone and thanks to all the contributors to this site, it's a great service with a wee honourable mention going to MT!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

derekon wrote: »
    This coming November will mark SEVEN years since lying snow was last recorded in Dublin City!

Don't think this is correct, but you might have a different definition of what 'lying snow' is.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Don't think this is correct, but you might have a different definition of what 'lying snow' is.

Why? When was the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why? When was the last time?

I seem to remember March 2013 sometime

• Advertisement

I seem to remember March 2013 sometime

Oh I read it wrong. I read it as the last lying snow in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Some 'lying snow' after a day of heavy snow showers here in Vilnius last night :)

410088.PNG

Lumi wrote: »
    Some 'lying snow' after a day of heavy snow showers here in Vilnius last night :)

410088.PNG

OK there is no need to rub it in 😂😂

D

Eh about three hours!!!!

D

With February looking like being a poor month here as it will turn out very wet, dull and mild, it will be the worst month since June of last year or September in western and southern areas. I have not had a dull month since last July and this February up to this point has recorded only 34 hours compared to the average of 70 hours. Unless I get some very sunny days, it will definitely be among my dullest Februarys on record. Among Ireland as a whole, it looks like being dull but not remarkable like mine which leaves Winter 2016/17 with slightly above average sunshine I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had the heaviest shower of graupel Ive seen in years, about 10 minutes of blizzard like conditions with ice on paths, edges of walls and ditches. Stopped now and will melt very quickly.

Was in Dublin City today and I felt the full force of Doris, I absolutely loved it. Very windy and soaking wet.... please don't leave me Doris.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Definitely need some good sleep tonight as could be very windy along the Atlantic Seaboard tomorrow night and possibly windy for a time early Sun morning.

f1dL90i.png

This is what I have done so far for Ireland's January Temperature Records Table. I was going to do individual stations but that will take far too long - if you're wondering why there's no column for station names yet. This table only includes Valentia Observatory and from January 2007-2017. I will continue working on it and the other 12 months of the year if you want me to. Should I? (I just want to know in case I'm doing all this tedious work for nothing)

HkXOLyD.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Really interesting, though Valentia might not be the best station to look at as it wouldn't have as extreme a range of temperatures (By Irish standards!) as other stations.

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Really interesting, though Valentia might not be the best station to look at as it wouldn't have as extreme a range of temperatures (By Irish standards!) as other stations.

I'm including all Irish weather stations. I meant like individual tables for all stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Yesterday was an interesting day to say the least here. Rubble on the roads everywhere, a couple of trees down on them locally here, lights out for a while, very windy for a time, anything not tied down moved, heavy driving rain and showers, some sleet mixed in for good measure.
    This morning is cold but dry and bright so far, but it looks like showers are looming in the distance. The last 36 hrs has taken the boring out of it anyway.

Chill and still here. Been out sorting and gathering all the wind-moved stuff and bringing in the fallen daffodils. A welcome respite; washing finally out too. A breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Roll on winter 2017-2018:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

yellow wind warning for Mayo,Galway,Donegal tonight,
    though i doubt my windows will be bending inwards tonight.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

yellow wind warning for Mayo,Galway,Donegal tonight,
    though i doubt my windows will be bending inwards tonight.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Really? Ah well!

Yep ....

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    South to southwest winds will strengthen this evening and overnight reaching mean speeds of 50 to 65km/hr, gusting 90 to 100km/hr at times.

Was just closing down without checking so thank you.. at least now I know the roof is good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy on the coasts again in the early morning and breezy as the front passes over the country tomorrow introducing a cooler air mass later.

Znbcumw.png

xpIndhr.png

ZuBqdE5.png

cdy0WCc.gif?1

An interesting area of Lp picked up by the ARPEGE Mon night passing through a line from Clare towards Waterford.

Weather is very active the next few days so this could change a lot in the next couple of days, if it is accurate I would be very impressed by the high resolution . Looking like wintry showers Mon night into Tues.

W5oLhP0.png

ADCkIEm.png

cobHRZc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Truly rubbish day here, heavy and persistent Rain/Drizzle most of the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible day here too wet and dull.

Advertisement