Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

cplwhisper wrote: »
    U say Axa Direct won’t quote in this car... 83 BMW quoted on today as daily driver so maybe worth trying them again. If u PM I could review for u
    Thanks for that offer.
    Axa must have changed their policy, online quote now €740 TPFNT, I hadn't tried them this year.

In case others have changed tack, this is when I was refused by each.
    I only retried if someone was mentioned as being competitive, or was competitive for me previously.

AIG, Nononsense, Topquote, Zurich

123, AIG, Allianz, An POst, Aviva, Axa, Blue Insurance, BOI, EasyInsure, FBD, Its4women, One Direct, Supervalu, Top Insure

123, Allianz, BOI, FBD, Its4women, Kennco

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My car is 15 years old next year. I have it 13 years now. I look forward to the phone calls next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My renewal on my 18yr old was reasonable but only because it was a renewal not a new customer. I was told they wouldn't cover mine as a new customer. I've changed the car since though for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

beauf wrote: »
    My renewal on my 18yr old was reasonable but only because it was a renewal not a new customer. I was told they wouldn't cover mine as a new customer. I've changed the car since though for other reasons.

Which insurer? At the eve of the car turning 15 it might be smart to get cover with someone that does not do silly renewals for 15 yo.

Allianz, but you will be a new customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Allianz, but you will be a new customer.

Many don't have 15 yo car yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This thread is running 12 months and still the same ****e is going on with insurance companies. I've been listening to horse **** about John Halligan all week and not one bit of action from our politicians about car insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

beertons wrote: »
    My car is 15 years old next year. I have it 13 years now. I look forward to the phone calls next year.

You won't have many to phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Car vw golf 2001 tdi
    Owned since 2005
    Kept rural South

Driver:
    Female, 36
    Full Irish Licence 2000
    0 Penalty Points
    8+ yr NCB
    No Claims ever

Renewal date: 27th octiber

Recent policies: 123

123 quoted me: 750 comp.

Rang around

Allianz: 900 comp.

Ended up getting it with aib car insurance : 578 comp.

Only paying 20 euro more than last year.

Try aib. You might get a better quote. Also if using chrome make sure to clear your cookie history when revisiting websites as I've had quotes increase. Also I never give my real details , i.e. never give reg or your real address to see what the price you are quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

physioman wrote: »
    Car vw golf 2001 tdi
    Owned since 2005
    Kept rural South

Driver:
    Female, 36
    Full Irish Licence 2000
    0 Penalty Points
    8+ yr NCB
    No Claims ever

Renewal date: 27th octiber

Recent policies: 123

123 quoted me: 750 comp.

Rang around

Allianz: 900 comp.

Ended up getting it with aib car insurance : 578 comp.

Only paying 20 euro more than last year.

Try aib. You might get a better quote. Also if using chrome make sure to clear your cookie history “

“when revisiting websites as I've had quotes increase. “

Cplwhisper- online rates only valid 5-days thus the price you get by email initially will be stood over if rates change within day limit

Also I never give my real details , i.e. never give reg or your real address to see what the price you are quoted.

Cplwhisper- without reg you are not providing true risk to insurer thus invalidates quote
    Wrong address also same reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Currently insured for about 280 on a 98 Starlet.
    Just tried AXA Direct there - 600+!!

Is this what people are seeing?
    100% + increases year on year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

long_b wrote: »
    Currently insured for about 280 on a 98 Starlet.
    Just tried AXA Direct there - 600+!!

Is this what people are seeing?
    100% + increases year on year?

You're lucky to get it at that but it's a small engine so you might try elsewhere maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

You're lucky to get it at that but it's a small engine so you might try elsewhere maybe.

Got renewed with BOI for 427 from 275 last year.
    When challenged on the increase they said "Oh last year you would have had a new business discount).

50%? I think not

Crooks the lot of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The number on the plate is more of a concern to them than the engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got renewal quote from Bank of Ireland
    full no claims bonus
    no points
    no accidents
    been driving years
    Opel Astra 1.4 1998
    Fully comprehensive
    €344 or monthly €378,
    don't think ill bother ringing round, wont do better then that for a "God, 20 yrs old next year!
    (been with them 3 yrs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The fightback continues and an example of why insurers are reluctant to offer cover on older cars

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/fire-brigades-and-ambulances-attended-staged-crash-1.3327650

BTW, you will note that the accident occurred over 3 years ago and that the insurers have being defending this action long before recent intervention by the commission on insurance.

That article doesn't mention the age of the cars. It does however mention that they were all house mates, and "Only two instalments were subsequently paid and the policy was cancelled by Axa on June 14th, 2014 for non payment", and one party had paid the deposit for the others car.

Yet you think the most important fact is the age of the cars which isn't even mentioned.

The fightback continues and an example of why insurers are reluctant to offer cover on older cars

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/fire-brigades-and-ambulances-attended-staged-crash-1.3327650

BTW, you will note that the accident occurred over 3 years ago and that the insurers have being defending this action long before recent intervention by the commission on insurance.

Which Insurance company are you working for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Well Citroen stopped making the Saxo in 2003 so it would be a much older car anyways.

No doubt. But it wasn't the age of the cars that triggered the attention of the authorities and investigators.

If you have a long clean insurance record and perhaps long time ownership of the same car, you shouldn't be caught in the same profile as fraudsters.

Its statistics 101.

• Advertisement

That article doesn't mention the age of the cars. It does however mention that they were all house mates, and "Only two instalments were subsequently paid and the policy was cancelled by Axa on June 14th, 2014 for non payment", and one party had paid the deposit for the others car.

Yet you think the most important fact is the age of the cars which isn't even mentioned.

The car was bought for €500, so you can be sure it is an older car. The point I was making is that older cars are a frequent feature in a staged accident and the reason Insurers don't like them is not necessarily the often quoted theory here regarding roadworthiness and the NCT

Which Insurance company are you working for?

I don't work for an Insurance Company

I don't work for an Insurance Company

So you just defend them and advocate for them just for the fun of it?

The car was bought for €500, so you can be sure it is an older car. The point I was making is that older cars are a frequent feature in a staged accident and the reason Insurers don't like them is not necessarily the often quoted theory here regarding roadworthiness and the NCT

What age cars do you think cannot be used for this kinda scam. For example could they use a hire car.

So you just defend them and advocate for them just for the fun of it?

I don't defend them or advocate for them, I try to explain various scenarios which arise here, following over 35 years working in the insurance industry. 18 years previously for an Insurance Company, and the rest for Insurance Brokers. I try to pass on an insight on a complicated subject

What age cars do you think cannot be used for this kinda scam. For example could they use a hire car.
    Every age car can be used for fraud, but the profit is better with a cheap car, especially if things go wrong with the claim, as happened in the example I gave

Every age car can be used for fraud, but the profit is better with a cheap car, especially if things go wrong with the claim, as happened in the example I gave

You're missing the point that its not the car that needs to be targeted but the scams. Its treating a symptom while ignoring the causes.

The side effect is huge environmental cost as cars are scrapped for no reason and a rise in uninsured drivers. Not to mention the lose of whole era's of classic cars. What they need to do its stop settling claims as a low cost option, which actually encourages these scam in the first places.

You're missing the point that its not the car that needs to be targeted but the scams. Its treating a symptom while ignoring the causes.

The side effect is huge environmental cost as cars are scrapped for no reason and a rise in uninsured drivers. Not to mention the lose of whole era's of classic cars. What they need to do its stop settling claims as a low cost option, which actually encourages these scam in the first places.

I'm not missing anything. If older cars are a disproportionate feature of suspected fraudulent claims, expect insurers to take action. If the baby goes out with the bathwater, that's collateral damage which insurers aren't concerned with.

As for your suggestion to stop paying claims, that's the function of insurance. If they cannot prove fraud, a claimant must be paid. The truth, the suspected truth and proving either is not easy. If you have the solution on how to disprove soft tissue injury in the face of a detailed report from an eminent consultant, then insurers will pay you handsomely for your plan

How did they did prove them in this case. Was there a detailed report from an eminent consultant?

• Advertisement

How did they did prove them in this case. Was there a detailed report from an eminent consultant?

From the report, it was one of the most half arsed attempts I've seen in a long time. It should never have got that far. However, if the claimants keep at it, the insurer has to keep defending the action taken against it.

Advertisement