Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be much easier now the Saxo's are off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The fightback continues and an example of why insurers are reluctant to offer cover on older cars

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/fire-brigades-and-ambulances-attended-staged-crash-1.3327650

BTW, you will note that the accident occurred over 3 years ago and that the insurers have being defending this action long before recent intervention by the commission on insurance.

Were the scum sentenced on the grounds of fraud? If there isn't a deterrent like that, we'll keep hearing about cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Looking to insure a 30 y.o. car. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Classic insurance (but that comes with all sorts of restrictions naturally).

For anyone looking to insure a car more than 15 years old, KennCo will insure anything up to 17 years old as a daily driver for new policies - so I'd say they're worth giving a ring if you've got something older and are struggling to find anyone who will insure you.

Classic insurance (but that comes with all sorts of restrictions naturally).

For anyone looking to insure a car more than 15 years old, KennCo will insure anything up to 17 years old as a daily driver for new policies - so I'd say they're worth giving a ring if you've got something older and are struggling to find anyone who will insure you.

Many thanks. I will try with them. The problem with classic insurance is that they require a daily use car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Allianz continue to renew my 18 year old Corolla but the premium is now €737 per year for comprehensive insurance.
    In 2013 it was just over €400.
    I do 2,000 miles a year, have no penalty points and have no claims ever.
    Can't get cover anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

30 year old car qualifies for vintage insurance
    25 years to 30 years is classic insurance and some companies will accept 20 year old cars

This thread is running 12 months and still the same ****e is going on with insurance companies. I've been listening to horse **** about John Halligan all week and not one bit of action from our politicians about car insurance companies.

Ombudsman set up recently by the government to specifically investigate the insurance industry

25 years to 30 years is classic insurance and some companies will accept 20 year old cars

Ombudsman set up recently by the government to specifically investigate the insurance industry

Very little mention about the problems trying to get older cars insured though.

That to me is the real scam - I've just returned from the UK and had to cough up no less than €2,295 to get my 2003 car insured here. Now admittedly it's a BMW 325Ci so it's got a 'big' engine and I'm 29 so I'm not exactly Mr Insurance Man's favourite customer anyway - but the fact is the same car with almost the exact same details was €1,550 in the UK. Oh, and it would have been even more expensive in Ireland were it not for the fact that I have my parents with 30+ years driving and no points, accidents within the past 5 years etc down as name drivers on the policy!

• Advertisement

Depending on the car you can get classic insurance once they're over 15 years old - generally it has to be a premium German brand (BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭phester28

as far as i know the 15 year for classic insurance has been stopped for new policies and now there is a min of 20 years for classic insurance. I tried on my e36 318i 1998 and called all the classic brokers and got nowhere. Now that the car is over 20 years I'll be trying again but its my daily driver and I would not want to let my NCB lapse which I think it does maintain with classic insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

erratic wrote: »
    Refused online quote by them in 2016. Saw posts saying they were quoting older cars. Refused online quote again 2017, didn't ring them as they have one of those 0818 numbers. (I rang some others, got refused on phone same as online)

For future reference...

http://www.saynoto1890.com/2013/02/b/

I have been quoted 4,220 euros for a LHD Nissan Patrol 3.3l from 1988. This is nonsense.

I have no history since I am from the EU.

I would like to use the car only in the weekends with a maximum of 5000 - 6000 km. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I have been quoted 4,220 euros for a LHD Nissan Patrol 3.3l from 1988. This is nonsense.

I would like to use the car only in the weekends with a maximum of 5000 - 6000 km. Any suggestions?

30 year old vehicle
    No driving history
    Left hand drive vehicle

You were lucky to get a quote at all tbh.

You don't have any option but to call every single broker and insurer out there to see if you can get cheaper.

As you have actually gotten a quote you cannot avail of the declined cases committee.

Not getting a sniff below 1200 for an 02 Octavia 1.9tdi

No claims 9 yes plus bar one or two windscreen claims

2 penalty points two years old

Been through all the sites. Do I really have to start ringing around?

With Allianz, insurance is up in march so they won't give me a renewal quote yet but I need to know now what I'm looking at before I bother with tax, nct etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What's the best insurance company for a car that is over 15 years old? I know a lot of places don't do them so don't want to waste my time filling out online quotes only to get the dreaded "we are unable to provide a quote at this time".

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

My car is 18,and I'm insured with Axa.I was with A.R.B last year and Sertus the year before so any of those would be worth checking out.
    I always phone a broker to get a quote and always come away with a better deal than anything I can find online.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    My car is 18,and I'm insured with Axa.I was with A.R.B last year and Sertus the year before so any of those would be worth checking out.
    I always phone a broker to get a quote and always come away with a better deal than anything I can find online.

Cheers any particular broker you can recommend? Was thinking about going down that route myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Chance gmhd.ie (i have no attachment to them,just got a good deal last year)
    got it down by 400
    I am going to have same problem insuring my car in april
    16 year old car,10 years no claims
    Makes me sick already having to think about going through all that ringing around again

• Advertisement

Chance gmhd.ie (i have no attachment to them,just got a good deal last year)
    got it down by 400
    I am going to have same problem insuring my car in april
    16 year old car,10 years no claims
    Makes me sick already having to think about going through all that ringing around again

I actually checked out Axa and got quoted nearly 1,000 less than BOI (my current provider). Nice one!

I actually checked out Axa and got quoted nearly 1,000 less than BOI (my current provider). Nice one!

Happy days,glad to hear it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I actually checked out Axa and got quoted nearly 1,000 less than BOI (my current provider).
    Fair play. The only company I have so far found that will insure my car is AXA. Through the broker simplyinsure.ie. Other brokers going through AXA or going direct to AXA charge significantly more or won't quote for it.

Granted the car is the equivalent of Satan as far as insurance companies are concerned. Jap import? Check. Honda? Check? 20 years old? Check. Type R? Check.

Insurance company office reaction.
    135892d1495758657t-siren.gif

It dropped a couple of hundred quid this year, but considering it was near two grand last year... Still, I take whatever discount offered.

Oh that figure's for TPF&T by the way. Not fully comp. Alarmed to the wazoo, removable steering wheel, among a few other security bits, oulfella driver of 50(Me), full license since 1986, no points, tickets in that time, not even a parking ticket, mileage under 5000 per year, "good area" and have the car ten years so have more history than most. In the UK I'd be paying well under half that and for fully comp. Thank Christ its otherwise a stupidly cheap car to run.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I know i am pricing around early for car insurance
    My insurance is not up till April and you can only price within the month time frame before it is up.
    But i believe my quotes not going to change that much within the next month and a few weeks

But the quotes i am getting back are F***ing disgusting
    2500 to 3000 area
    My car is 16 Years Old (Nct/Tax/Insured)
    1.9 TDi
    10 Years No claims
    10 Years Full Licence (BCDE)
    Nearly 30

Surely to F**k they cant be charging this money

I know i am pricing around early for car insurance
    My insurance is not up till April and you can only price within the month time frame before it is up.
    But i believe my quotes not going to change that much within the next month and a few weeks

But the quotes i am getting back are F***ing disgusting
    2500 to 3000 area
    My car is 16 Years Old (Nct/Tax/Insured)
    1.9 TDi
    10 Years No claims
    10 Years Full Licence (BCDE)
    Nearly 30

Surely to F**k they cant be charging this money

Madness, So you drive a 2002 a4 audi avant and thats the quotes your getting?? how much is your current premuim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Might be better off buying a Micra or something, get it insured nice and cheap, leave it sitting in the drive.

Then you should be able to get a vintage policy on the Patrol as a second vehicle. Would probably work out a lot cheaper?

EDIT : that's if it's already 30 years, if it isn't, just store it until it is, roadtax drops to 56 euro and cheap vintage insurance, provided you have another 'daily driver' insured. Least to my knowledge no insurance companies do cheap vintage policies if its' your only car.

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Madness, So you drive a 2002 a4 audi avant and thats the quotes your getting?? how much is your current premuim?

No A6 Avant 2002 1.9tdi
    No mods are anything to it,bog standard car

You would think i was trying to insure its big brother the rs6 4.2 litre petrol version

My insurance 2 years ago was 550 with liberty insurance
    Last years 1150 with allianz through a broker

I see now why there is so many uninsured drivers on the road,unless you have enough money to buy new cars they want you of the road

No A6 Avant 2002 1.9tdi
    No mods are anything to it,bog standard car

You would think i was trying to insure its big brother the rs6 4.2 litre petrol version

My insurance 2 years ago was 550 with liberty insurance
    Last years 1150 with allianz through a broker

I see now why there is so many uninsured drivers on the road,unless you have enough money to buy new cars they want you of the road

Yup its sickening, drive a 04 A4 sport myself full leather interior, cruise control and ive installed a quality bluetooth sat nav dynavin like for like headunit with integrated parrot handsfree. Has had all suspension bushings, control arms and shock & springs etc replaced with quality new components. Everything works perfectly on the car with 170k miles...very well maintained with no rust anywhere and the paintwork immaculate, it passes NCT first go every year for the last few years ive owned it.

So the car does everything a new car does except for the fancy electronics for reversing etc, i don't need any of that wizardry to drive well. Nothing at all wrong with the car and I would happily drive it for another 100k miles until its 20 years old.

It angers me so much insurance companies are charging a premium or simply refusing to cover perfectly good cars because of their age...I have no interest in dropping 20k plus on a new or used car when my own does a mighty job of getting me from A to B in comfort and still looks good in 2018.

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Yup its sickening, drive a 04 A4 sport myself full leather interior, cruise control and ive installed a quality bluetooth sat nav dynavin like for like headunit with integrated parrot handsfree. Has had all suspension bushings, control arms and shock & springs etc replaced with quality new components. Everything works perfectly on the car with 170k miles...very well maintained with no rust anywhere and the paintwork immaculate, it passes NCT first go every year for the last few years ive owned it.

So the car does everything a new car does except for the fancy electronics for reversing etc, i don't need any of that wizardry to drive well. Nothing at all wrong with the car and I would happily drive it for another 100k miles until its 20 years old.

It angers me so much insurance companies are charging a premium or simply refusing to cover perfectly good cars because of their age...I have no interest in dropping 20k plus on a new or used car when my own does a mighty job of getting me from A to B in comfort and still looks good in 2018.

I know what your saying,have a pain in me b**** with the whole lot.(Ncts are pointless,Sure why pay to fix a car up if you dont know if your going to be able to insure it,sure no wonder people are risking driving uninsured scrap.Sure i will keep driving my own for as long as she keeps going.Same thing myself with my own car,well minded and doesnt give a bit of bother,Personally i prefare the older cars as they give less trouble than the new ones and parts are more affordable and freely available from most scrap yards or independent people breaking cars.

It would turn your stomach thinking about the whole thing.Going to keep pricing around anyway,see if any of them will give a fare price,i dont mind paying but i wont be robbed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Ye need to give the government a bit more time to sort this is all, a few more years and it'll be grand...the cash reserves the dopey lads wasted in the insurers should be built back up by then aswell.

The "nearly" worst part is the sh1te talk from the few insurance guys on here, jesus wept how clueless.

Advertisement