Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

beauf wrote: »
    Mine is still cheap. But rather than selling it when I change I'm considering storing it for a few yrs until it qualifies for vintage. Its worth nothing selling it. I do very little mileage in it anyway.
    Who are you insured with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Allianz but they said they wouldn't insure me if I was a new customer.

Supervalue car insurance just quoted me €2000 TPFT for a 02 Passat!!!
    Not alone will I not take it I won't ever go into their shops again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

You do know that it actually has nothing to do with supervalu, an insurance company uses their name to drive customers to them.

You do know that it actually has nothing to do with supervalu, an insurance company uses their name to drive customers to them.

Supervalue are advertising it as 'Supervalue car insurance' so as far as I'm concerned Supervalue are trying to shake me down for car insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Supervalue are advertising it as 'Supervalue car insurance' so as far as I'm concerned Supervalue are trying to shake me down for car insurance.

Did they insist you buy their policy or threaten you in some way? If they did, I'd contact The Regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Of course it has. Brand.

If you decide to franchise your brand, you need to face the consequences if that business brings bad name... That's why they pay you the money, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

My car is 18 years old and I've had insurance with Cornmarket for 7 years? So it may be because I've been with them for so long I can still get insurance! The whole industry is a joke! They're making a profit and people also make ridiculous claims!

Did they insist you buy their policy or threaten you in some way? If they did, I'd contact The Regulator.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?:confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?:confused:

You got a silly quote from an insurer and you are up in arms over it. Just laugh at it and move on to the next one. Why did it upset you so much?

You got a silly quote from an insurer and you are up in arms over it. Just laugh at it and move on to the next one. Why did it upset you so much?

Do you realise you are posting on a thread about insurance on older cars?
    Where to go and not to go.?

Do you realise you are posting on a thread about insurance on older cars?
    Where to go and not to go.?

You're the one who brought your grocery shopping plans in to the conversation.

I was merely trying to point out that it is not compulsory that you accept a quotation from any individual insurer

You're the one who brought your grocery shopping plans in to the conversation.

I was merely trying to point out that it is not compulsory that you accept a quotation from any individual insurer

Wow! I'm sure glad you pointed that out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SethH

Last time I had car insurance was 2005. (In NZ it's not compulsory, although that may have changed in the last 12 years, I dunno).

Found a nice car to buy, at a good price (€500) and it even has NCT and Tax until next May/Oct.

Anyway, just got an online quote for a 2000 Mercedes A140. I'm over 40 and need some transport. They quoted just over 3000 for 3rd party, fire and theft, and 2700 for full cover.

This country is f'ed-up.

Discodog wrote: »
    Brian J Pierce Limited
    (01) 667 4985

Mark O'Grady at BJ Pierce saved me €200 on my 1995. Really helpful

One of the dearest quotes I got was from them.

Seeing as they were using the age of the car as an excuse I just looked for a quote for the same type of car but 5 years younger from this crowd and they quoted me €2175!-an extra 175 for a 07 car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Seeing as they were using the age of the car as an excuse I just looked for a quote for the same type of car but 5 years younger from this crowd and they quoted me €2175!-an extra 175 for a 07 car!

Er, 07 is still 10 years old so insurers will penalize you, try same car details for an 8 or 9 year old car.

They'll also penalize you if its a new-ish car, because its worth more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They'll also penalize you if its a new-ish car, because its worth more. :)

You can always buy only TPL cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

What I've found is that one company may or may not reduce a quote based on the car being newer. However if the car is newer then there are more companies actually giving quotes so you are more likely to find one that will give you a cheaper quote.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Er, 07 is still 10 years old so insurers will penalize you, try same car details for an 8 or 9 year old car.

Er, they had said it was because the car was more than 12 years old:rolleyes:

grogi wrote: »
    You can always buy only TPL cover.

It was for TPF&T.

So if I'm looking for a replacement car I have look for one that 6 or 7 yrs max or it may be uninsurable. That's a huge jump in expense for something that only gets light use.

What about vintage cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The reason is not because older cars are less safe. That is just a poor excuse.

That corolla is not a 1998 model. It dates back to 1991. The 1998 model is has a 3-star euro ncap safety rating and nearly gained 4. It was a joke of a comparison really.

Most cars from the 00's are very safe yet can't be insured. Cars 15 years and older won't be insured by most insurers yet they will insure the same model with a newer registration. How has that got anything to do with safety?

10-15 year old cars will be insured by most insurers but will generate a loading just because of the age of the car.

It's ridiculous really and something should be done to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

One of the dearest quotes I got was from them.

I don't know what's happened. They were brilliant last year & hopeless this year.

They quoted me double this year compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fozzy66

Mine is still cheap. But rather than selling it when I change I'm considering storing it for a few yrs until it qualifies for vintage. Its worth nothing selling it. I do very little mileage in it anyway.

I drive a 91 starlet, owned since 2009, and was also looking forward to the vintage/classic status however last year we could only find one company to quote us and this year even that company has denied us a quote. Apparently the company which insured us last year has to quote us again this year but I have to investigate this angle further. (one broker actually told me they could not quote me as I didn't have a car older than 1990. Convenient excuse?)

fozzy66 wrote: »
    I drive a 91 starlet, owned since 2009, and was also looking forward to the vintage/classic status however last year we could only find one company to quote us and this year even that company has denied us a quote. Apparently the company which insured us last year has to quote us again this year but I have to investigate this angle further. (one broker actually told me they could not quote me as I didn't have a car older than 1990. Convenient excuse?)

The whole point of cheaper classic car insurance is that the car is not used as your daily driver, but more for the weekend drive, shows etc. Basically, low mileage and a high degree of care and maintenance.

• Advertisement

Great :(

Advertisement