Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Kuva wrote: »
    Ye need to give the government a bit more time to sort this is all, a few more years and it'll be grand...the cash reserves the dopey lads wasted in the insurers should be built back up by then aswell.

The "nearly" worst part is the sh1te talk from the few insurance guys on here, jesus wept how clueless.

Fingers crossed your correct and things turn around quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

01 Passat. Clean license and no claims. €440 from An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

JaCrispy wrote: »
    01 Passat. Clean license and no claims. €440 from An Post.

Great price for you
    I tryed them before,over 2000 euro for quotes, waisted an hour of my life on the phone talking verbal diarrhea

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

06 grandis. €1450 full no claims full licence with Allianz direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are these renewals or a new quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's still a bit but our renewal is due in May. So it's currently insured on my partner on a provisional with me as named driver (Full EU) because I couldn't get insurance. My license is currently in exchange and I hope my Irish license in a few weeks.
    We're driving an 06 Citroen C3 1.1l.

When renewal is due, would it make sense to keep the policy up in his name even though I'm on a Full Irish then? Or is there any way to make me the policy holder. I'd have 2 years as a named driver then and he has 2 years NCB.

That will be new policy and they probably not give you the same rate as a renewal. Also you're kinda admitting, you've been the main driver....

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

beauf wrote: »
    Are these renewals or a new quotes?

Mine is renewal. Tried axa was €1872 and boi but boi wouldn’t quote. Haven’t tried anyone else yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I understand, it was just not possible for me to get insurance because no company beside one would quote me. Now that I went to the NDLS and filled the paperwork out, I'm suddenly deemed a perfectly fine driver in Ireland, no re-assessment or medicals I needed to do. Joke it is.

They will probably give you 2yrs no claims so it might not be that bad.

• Advertisement

06 grandis. €1450 full no claims full licence with Allianz direct
    Mine is renewal. Tried axa was €1872 and boi but boi wouldn’t quote. Haven’t tried anyone else yet

That's a bit nuts so. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

I just got my renewal quote of €1200 from Axa during the week on a 1995 Toyota Starlet. I have 10+ years no claims and never had penalty points. I tried an online quote yesterday with Axa with all the same information and they quoted me €873. I rang Axa at lunch and the lady told me that they can't match the online quote. She said I will have to cancel my current policy and start again if I want the cheaper quote. She told me they are probably offering cheaper quotes for new customers to gain business.

29m0y1f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I just got my renewal quote of €1200 from Axa during the week on a 1995 Toyota Starlet. I have 10+ years no claims and never had penalty points. I tried an online quote yesterday with Axa with all the same information and they quoted me €873. I rang Axa at lunch and the lady told me that they can't match the online quote. She said I will have to cancel my current policy and start again if I want the cheaper quote. She told me they are probably offering cheaper quotes for new customers to gain business.

29m0y1f.jpg

The online quote normally has once off promo to get new customers

If u arev10yrs+ with axa u prob have lifetime protected NCB but not aware that only a single protect option online.

Also I’d say 80% of online quotes differ from the existing data on cover.

-People always choose SD&P cover but not commmutibg to work which that need/have on live policy
    -quotes nearly always have different informatom on their jobs

-quotes also forget to add penalty Polnt info

-quotes also normal enter ‘they have another policy’ with axa to get multi policy’s fiscount not realising that the existing policy on same car can’t be used

If u are 100% definite ur online quote issame details as existing policy then PM me thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The online quote normally has once off promo to get new customers

If u arev10yrs+ with axa u prob have lifetime protected NCB but not aware that only a single protect option online.

Also I’d say 80% of online quotes differ from the existing data on cover.

-People always choose SD&P cover but not commmutibg to work which that need/have on live policy
    -quotes nearly always have different informatom on their jobs

-quotes also forget to add penalty Polnt info

-quotes also normal enter ‘they have another policy’ with axa to get multi policy’s fiscount not realising that the existing policy on same car can’t be used

If u are 100% definite ur online quote issame details as existing policy then PM me thanks

The lady on the phone confirmed with the reference number that everything was exactly the same.

This is why they look for a Reg No so they don't accidentally give you a completely different quote for the same details.

It used to be standard practice to ring the same company a couple of times, and then get them to accept the cheapest quote they gave. They actually penalize people for not swapping around.

That said I've got the cheapest quote from not shopping around. When I switched from a 20yr old car to 10yr old car it made no difference to my quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

29m0y1f.jpg

I also have a 95 Starlet :)

I paid 400 last year & the same company wouldn't quote me this year. Cheapest was 1000. Mature driver, full no claims, no accidents or convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

beauf wrote: »
    ....When I switched from a 20yr old car to 10yr old car it made no difference to my quote.

just goes to prove that the reverse should also apply, i.e. that going back to an older car should make no difference either....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Topinsure specifically has a page for older cars
    https://www.topinsure.ie/car-insurance/car-insurance-for-older-cars

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

biko wrote: »
    Topinsure specifically has a page for older cars
    https://www.topinsure.ie/car-insurance/car-insurance-for-older-cars

I already got insured but just tryed there for a quote
    Just tryed them there
    2200 Full Comp
    2050 3rd Party

Got mine 1175
    16 year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

firstlight wrote: »
    I already got insured but just tryed there for a quote
    Just tryed them there
    2200 Full Comp
    2050 3rd Party

Got mine 1175
    16 year old car

Who with ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Who with ?

Broker GMHD in killarney

Through allianz,I rang allianz directly and they refused to quote,makes no sence Atal

Chance them if your looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The car was bought for €500, so you can be sure it is an older car. The point I was making is that older cars are a frequent feature in a staged accident and the reason Insurers don't like them is not necessarily the often quoted theory here regarding roadworthiness and the NCT

there are countless cars less than 15yr.s old with ncts for 500 and less on donedeal. Also if claiming for a more expensive 'newer' car the replacement payout will be more anyway. Does not make ANY sense.:rolleyes: The insurance company can dole out whatever nonsensical excuses they want , they are still trying to shaft us while they can. :rolleyes:

grogi wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, when I put the same details twice into quoting engine, I get the same quotes... :confused: /s

yea I don't

45yr old male, 20+ yrs NCB
    car-18yr. old. 1.6
    chill allianz tpft 760euro on phone
    axa 870euro online
    same model car but 11yrs old allianz 1000euro- :rolleyes:

car-15yr old 1L
    allianz 685euro

car- 13yr.old 1.1
    axa 600euro.

I have a 05 1.1 for the last 6 years, insurance from
    2018: 600 tp only 600euro excess
    2017: 400 tp only 500 excess
    2016: 300 tpft ?excess
    2015: 250 tpft
    2014: 270 tpft
    2013: 320 tpft

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Has anyone tried with Patrona Underwriting?

Can you share your experience with them?

www.patrona.ie/Products.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone tried with Patrona Underwriting?

Can you share your experience with them?

www.patrona.ie/Products.aspx

I was insured with them via an Irish broker. But when I wanted to renew the broker said they were no longer insuring older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Im with 123 insured on a 3.0TDI Audi ....

I bought a little '02 Clio 1.2 as a run around and decided to give 123 a ring for a quote hoping to avail of their multi-car discount (up to 20%)

They would not insure me on it as it is older than 15yrs. :rolleyes:

So they are happy to insure me on a 3 Litre Audi but not on a 1.2 Clio :confused:

Insurance in this country is an absolute Joke.

Any suggestions a to what other Companies I can try for the '02 Clio please??

So I tried a couple of online quotes and I'm getting the dreaded "We're sorry but can't quote you" message.

I must say, this thread as a "Sticky" is quite pointless as there is no clear list showing which companies will actually insure cars that are 15yrs or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

ION08 wrote: »
    So I tried a couple of online quotes and I'm getting the dreaded "We're sorry but can't quote you" message.

I must say, this thread as a "Sticky" is quite pointless as there is no clear list showing which companies will actually insure cars that are 15yrs or older.

Try chill.ie (policies via Ivernia/La Parisienne) but don't use the online generators which I think nowadays spit out many applications.

Also is there an issue around NCB as I'm assuming your current NCB is in the Audi thus giving you 0 years on the Renault. The combination of old car and low/no NCB may cause insurers to decline maybe?

• Advertisement

tom_k wrote: »
    Try chill.ie (policies via Ivernia/La Parisienne) but don't use the online generators which I think nowadays spit out many applications.

Also is there an issue around NCB as I'm assuming your current NCB is in the Audi thus giving you 0 years on the Renault. The combination of old car and low/no NCB may cause insurers to decline maybe?

Yes you are right, they are not willing to mirror my NCB because it is being "used up" on the Audi - but somehow the 3 penalty points I have aren't being "used up" on the Audi and they are happy to hold them against me on both cars. :rolleyes:

absolute sham insurance in this country.

Anyway, I tried to get a quote with my wife as First driver (counting her 4 years named driving experience on the Audi) and me as 'named' driver on the Clio. (using the details of an identical 2004 model Clio)

The purpose of the Clio is for her to use it as a runaround.

Quote came in at €1,883

....Guess she will continue to drive around in a 3.0TDI Audi instead of 1.2 Clio in that case :rolleyes: :D

Also, FYI, the €1,883 quote on the Clio, was more expensive than her first ever quote which was on a 1.2 Punto with a Provisional license and ZERO previous experience.

Welcome to the non-sensical world of Irish Motor Insurance

Will probably just forget the idea of using the Clio as a run around ...

Can't be dealing with the utter stupidity of these insurance companies.

Advertisement