Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fozzy66

The whole point of cheaper classic car insurance is that the car is not used as your daily driver, but more for the weekend drive, shows etc. Basically, low mileage and a high degree of care and maintenance.

Exactly. Car only did 3000 odd km's last year although I do admit we don't do shows. Not one of the insurance companies that I have approached have asked for the mileage, as soon as they hear 1991 they say car is too old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

fozzy66 wrote: »
    Exactly. Car only did 3000 odd km's last year although I do admit we don't do shows. Not one of the insurance companies that I have approached have asked for the mileage, as soon as they hear 1991 they say car is too old

That's because classic insurance is a different product to normal private car policies and very few do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

I'll bump this thread with my quote from chill.ie who offered insurance from Ivernia.

Car: 02 Audi A4 1.9 TDI (130)

Driver: Male, 41. Spouse as named driver, female 37.

Both full Irish licences, no points or convictions.

Maximum NCB.

No claims made or accidents ever (except windscreen)

Car kept in rural west.

Quote: €580 for comprehensive includes driving other cars, breakdown assist and homestart. TPFT cost more!

This was €80 less than the next cheapest quote for similar insurance (RSA - my current insurer who I've been with for six years) and about €700 less than the craziest quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Gormal

Thought this might help others out there stuck. Thankyou Tom K I checked Chill and went with them.

Car: 1999 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Variant Ab 1390cc petrol 5door estate (most list as 16v)

Driver: Female, 45
    Full uk licence, 2 points
    Driving 23 years
    Maximum NCB.

No claims made or accidents ever

Car kept in rural south west.

FBD, AA, 123, top insure, covereu.ie, easyinsure, quoteline.ie, its4women, 25+, BOI, wouldn't quote

Paylessdirect Comprehensive Cover € 768.20 TPFT € 660.74 Third party € 639.66

AXA ladyfirst Comprenhensive €645.45 but wouldn't let me buy it and when called went up over 800

AXA direct Comprenhensive 3,448.59 Best laugh I've had in ages

compareinsuranceireland.ie € 649.88 AXA LadyFirst BLD 3rd party

coverme.ie over 700 axa lady etc 3rd party

Creane and Creane TPFT
    Quote 1 € 652.28 AXA LadyFirst Standard
    Quote 2 € 695.60 Asgard - MotorFirst
    Quote 3 € 723.68 AXA LadyFirst Plus
    Quote 4 € 1220.48 Bump

Blue Insurance Comprenhensive €1311.34 TPFT €1240.48

Bestquote €680.15 fully comp, €587.45 Third party, fire and theft Cover €569.34 3rd party (when I went back (same morning) to buy it had increased) Requested call back, none recieved.

Bestquote (McCarthy Insurance Group) Comprenhensive
    Quote 1 € 741.50 AXA LadyFirst BLD
    Quote 2 € 808.43 Asgard - MotorFirst

Munstergroup TPFT €625

Acorn Insurance Comprehensive
    Quote 1 € 913.26 AXA LadyFirst Standard
    Quote 2 € 965.76 AXA LadyFirst Plus

Its4women €789.66 Comprehensive

Liberty €1117.14 tpft

Chill.ie 683.03 Ivernia Insurance fully comp with breakdown assist

Thanks to Tom k I went with Chill, as I'm fed up and as you get closer to the date the insurers up the prices because they think you're getting desperate.

This is how it went up with Its4women over the last 5 years
    2013 - 330
    2014 - 346
    2015 - 385
    2016 - 582 (called to try to get it lower and told no can do)
    2017 - 789 renewal quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Glad you got sorted, Gormal. Your search seems even more relentless than my own. I called a couple of country brokers and they were supplying high enough quotes but could tell me which companies wouldn't quote for that particular car of mine.

I got a house insurance quote since from a broker who suggested I call them next year and look at sourcing multiple policies and that they might "be able to do something pricewise".

We have two car policies, a commercial vehicle policy, farm/business/public liability insurance, tractor insurance, health insurance and life assurance. Would be nice to have a one stop shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyone have any dealings with 25PLUS.IE car insurance company?
    Their prices seem good but there doesn't appear to be any contact phone numbers for them. I don't want to pay by card on their website only to discover that they don't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Their prices seem good but there doesn't appear to be any contact phone numbers for them. I don't want to pay by card on their website only to discover that they don't exist!

It's the same broker that does its4women.ie.

There are news all over the place how terrible they are to deal with changes/alterations. You need to do it over the internet portal (which for me in not a big deal). If you decide to call them, there is €10 fee on top of regular changes to work on your policy. There is also very ambiguous clause about driving other cars, that puts people off.

They are underwritten by AIG, which is a respectable insurer.

If you don't plan any changes in the policy (exp. temporary transfer) and don't plan on driving any other car on it, they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

They have the phone contact details listed on the web as secondary method of contacting them. (They prefer you deal with them over the web, hence cheaper)

Quotes/Customer Service: 1890 927 334

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

On the annual hunt this a.m. for my 2001 TT. I covered 3800 miles last year, nearer 50 than 40, so hardly yer typical hoon.

4 no-quotes so far - this is beyond ridiculous.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

BronsonTB wrote: »
    They have the phone contact details listed on the web as secondary method of contacting them. (They prefer you deal with them over the web, hence cheaper)

Quotes/Customer Service: 1890 927 334

don't waste your time, if it's an older car: won't quote.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

galwaytt wrote: »
    On the annual hunt this a.m. for my 2001 TT. I covered 3800 miles last year, nearer 50 than 40, so hardly yer typical hoon.

4 no-quotes so far - this is beyond ridiculous.

I look forward to your updates - I'm nearly in the same boat 2001 TT (225bhp), covered roughly the same mileage but closer to 40 than 50

last year was = 685
    renewal quote this year = 869 (27% increase)

I look forward to your updates - I'm nearly in the same boat 2001 TT (225bhp), covered roughly the same mileage but closer to 40 than 50

last year was = 685

...€604 from Chill.ie so far....still above last year :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

I got 697 with Chill up €13 from last year's Aviva quote

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So you've been robbed both last year and this year!

So you've been robbed both last year and this year!

Some would say I've been robbed every year..... 😉

but what can you do, it's a legal requirement with very limited options

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

got a quote on my 1998 1.8 318i. I have my spouse and father on the policy have full ncb, clean license etc

I did have a windscreen claim that did not affect the premium "allegedly"
    Last year 635 this year 1023 all tpft

I got it down to 960 with munster group through axa broker

so far the best I have found is chill at 809 euro for comprehensive and opendrive full protection of ncb and driving other cars fully comp with Ivernia Insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a quote without your father on it. Might be putting it a up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

beauf wrote: »
    Get a quote without your father on it. Might be putting it a up a bit.

When I say I got it down. I should have added that meant going to opendriving. Removing father in the past reduced the quote this time it had no effect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Feic it.. Roll on self driving cars and uber... Should end a lot of the insurance bull****.. In fact should end the Irish motor industry entirely...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is little pattern to the quotes you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Try Allianz. I own a fifteen year old car and have fully comprehensive cover with them costing 150 euro less than my previous insurer was charging for the same type of policy. If you are an experienced and safe driver with no major claim history or accumulation of penalty points you should have little difficulty getting insured - if you shop around. The age of the vehicle you drive is of secondary consideration.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Try Allianz. I own a fifteen year old car and have fully comprehensive cover with them costing 150 euro less than my previous insurer was charging for the same type of policy. If you are an experienced and safe driver with no major claim history or accumulation of penalty points you should have little difficulty getting insured - if you shop around. The age of the vehicle you drive is of secondary consideration.

^^^^ in bold, above, fiction I'm afraid. I've 30yrs driving, no claims, no points, RoSPA Advanced etc: doesn't matter a monkey's: once they heard 01 they closed the door.

No, they won't insure my 01 Audi 1.8, so you just got lucky imho. I just called them now: no quote on any car pre 2002 (ref Ciara).

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

If you are an experienced and safe driver with no major claim history or accumulation of penalty points you should have little difficulty getting insured - if you shop around. The age of the vehicle you drive is of secondary consideration.

Renewing with them can be different than new business. For New Business Quotes in 2017, the age of the car can have a huge impact on the quote & getting an older car insured for a reasonable price with a clean record is actually getting alot harder for the majority of people (me included).
    (Hence the posts in this thread, highlighting this issue)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

That is not true going by first hand experience and the consensus here.

don't waste your time, if it's an older car: won't quote.

last year was = 685

Just to give ye an end result: eventually got it from Chill.ie for €588.89

123.ie didn't give a monkey's: rang them up and they wouldn't move a single €1 off their price. Very poor form from them: they've lost mine, my wifes and shortly, my house insurance in the space of a couple of months.

Did they never hear the maxim about it being easier to keep a customer than to find a new one.. ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

Having trawled through pages here, thought I'd share my details if it'd help anyone else

Car:
    1998 Toyota Avensis (Terra) 1587cc petrol 4 dr saloon
    Owned since 2002
    Kept rural Sligo

Driver:
    Male, 44
    Full Irish Licence 1996
    0 Penalty Points
    10+ yr NCB
    No Claims ever except windscreen 2005, 2016 (2016 After renewal offer, before downgrading cover)

Renewal date: 22 Nov

Recent policies: 25plus

2013 Comp €347
    2014 Comp €346
    2015 Comp €537
    2016 STD Comp (Really TPFNT) €579, Comp was €627
    2017 Renewal ask STD comp €764, Comp €826

Switching to Bestquote - AXA DriveFirst BLD (No NCB protection) €603

Won't quote:
    123, AIG, Allianz, An Post, Aviva, Axa, Blue Insurance, BOI, EasyInsure, FBD, Its4women, Kennco, Nononsense, One Direct, SuperValu, Topinsure, Topquote, Zurich
    (some refused in 2015 or 2016 weren't checked since)

2017 Quotes
    Comp = C
    TPFNT =T
    AA (Approx) 1100 C 1000 T
    BestQuote
    Quote 1 € 603.09T AXA DriveFirst BLD (No NCB protection)
    Quote 2 € 604.76T AXA MotorFirst BLD (No NCB protection)
    Quote 3 € 730.85T Asgard - MotorFirst

Chill 727C 768T (Yes TPFNT was more expensive)

CompareInsuranceIreland 990C 737T

Coverinaclick 680T Patrona

Creane 869C 767T

FirstIreland 894C 734T

Liberty 808T

Whoops 650T

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's one of the first things insurance companies ask nowadays and it's a big factor in getting a qoute. You can't shop around if your car is over a certain age because most insurance companies won't touch anything over 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

erratic wrote: »
    Won't quote:
    123, AIG, Allianz, An Post, Aviva, Axa, Blue Insurance, BOI, EasyInsure, FBD, Its4women, Kennco, Nononsense, One Direct, SuperValu, Topinsure, Topquote, Zurich

Surprised BOI wouldn't quote i have Astra 1.4 1998 insured with them at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Surprised BOI wouldn't quote i have Astra 1.4 1998 insured with them at moment.

Refused online quote by them in 2016. Saw posts saying they were quoting older cars. Refused online quote again 2017, didn't ring them as they have one of those 0818 numbers. (I rang some others, got refused on phone same as online)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

erratic wrote: »
    Having trawled through pages here, thought I'd share my details if it'd help anyone else

Car:
    1998 Toyota Avensis (Terra) 1587cc petrol 4 dr saloon
    Owned since 2002
    Kept rural Sligo

Driver:
    Male, 44
    Full Irish Licence 1996
    0 Penalty Points
    10+ yr NCB
    No Claims ever except windscreen 2005, 2016 (2016 After renewal offer, before downgrading cover)

Renewal date: 22 Nov

Recent policies: 25plus

2013 Comp €347
    2014 Comp €346
    2015 Comp €537
    2016 STD Comp (Really TPFNT) €579, Comp was €627
    2017 Renewal ask STD comp €764, Comp €826

Switching to Bestquote - AXA DriveFirst BLD (No NCB protection) €603

Won't quote:
    (some refused in 2015 or 2016 weren't checked since)

2017 Quotes
    Comp = C
    TPFNT =T
    AA (Approx) 1100 C 1000 T
    BestQuote
    Quote 1 € 603.09T AXA DriveFirst BLD (No NCB protection)
    Quote 2 € 604.76T AXA MotorFirst BLD (No NCB protection)
    Quote 3 € 730.85T Asgard - MotorFirst

Chill 727C 768T (Yes TPFNT was more expensive)

CompareInsuranceIreland 990C 737T

Coverinaclick 680T Patrona

Creane 869C 767T

FirstIreland 894C 734T

Liberty 808T

Whoops 650T

U say Axa Direct won’t quote in this car... 83 BMW quoted on today as daily driver so maybe worth trying them again. If u PM I could review for u

Advertisement