Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I am trying to insure a 02 Almera but I'm getting expensive quotes ranging from 800 to 1200 Euro as I am a provisional driver.Insurance is too expensive in Ireland for older cars.My Almera drives like a brand new car but the company considers the car to be too old to drive on the road.

Your actually not doing to bad !!! I've a full license and I'm paying 850 fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

OK, So rather than me rummaging through 20 pages on this topic can ye list the top 2 companies for insurance on older cars. My insurance last year tpf& it was 500 on a 02 Passat no claims points etc. this year it's 675!

123.ie are decent in my experience. Ring obviously, never found online quotes competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

I am trying to insure a 02 Almera but I'm getting expensive quotes ranging from 800 to 1200 Euro as I am a provisional driver.Insurance is too expensive in Ireland for older cars.My Almera drives like a brand new car but the company considers the car to be too old to drive on the road.

I find this expensive because I am a named driver in the policy not the first driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I am trying to insure a 02 Almera but I'm getting expensive quotes ranging from 800 to 1200 Euro as I am a provisional driver.Insurance is too expensive in Ireland for older cars.

They are pretty good quotes, I'm not getting much less and have a full licence and 5 years no claims, I'd be biting their hand off at those before they go up.
    grogi wrote: »
    IMHO provisional drivers should not be able to obtain the insurance as the insured, only as named drivers with proper loading.

I disagree not everyone has the opportunity to get insured as a named driver easily, why shouldn't they be able to own and insure a car for a premium.
    Any learner's permit holder who wants to insure his own vehicle is almost certainly going to drive unaccompanied.
    Again I disagree, I bought my own car as a learner insured it and never drove unaccompanied and I know a number of other who were the same. A number of people breaking the law isn't reason enough to change the rules to effect those that don't. Thats like saying some people drink and drive so lets completely ban drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Spoken like a very self entitled person who considers themselves to be the best driver ever from the moment they got behind the wheel. You had no right to inflict yourself on other motorists by going on the M50 as you say you did. The high cost of insurance paid by young people today reflects the impact people like yourself have had on the vast majority who take driving seriously and abide by the law.

As you like to get personal in your posts, I won't engage with you any further

You mean someone like me who hasn't had even a tip on the M50? I highly doubt its learner drivers causing the accidents that happen every day on the M50. Calling you a company man is personal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Spoken like a very self entitled person who considers themselves to be the best driver ever from the moment they got behind the wheel. You had no right to inflict yourself on other motorists by going on the M50 as you say you did. The high cost of insurance paid by young people today reflects the impact people like yourself have had on the vast majority who take driving seriously and abide by the law.

As you like to get personal in your posts, I won't engage with you any further

Has that ever been shown? Reports in Ireland never seem to state who was to blame.

This is utter bollox, how the hell are people supposed to get a no claims bonus? Named drving experience won't give you much of a discount, this country went long enough with everyone driving on their own with L plates, its funny how all these new rules came in force during the recession where more money had to be spent to gain a full license.

NCB and the need to earn it, in itself is a sham. One should be loaded by showing themselves to be a risk. Not by whatever bucket an actuary can throw'em into.
    Again spoken like a true company man, how are people supposed to get proper experience on the road? Driving mammy and Daddy to the shop isnt going to get much experience, I was on the M50 within 2 weeks of driving and it was the best thing to happen to me, It's not learner drivers in bangers flying up and down the motorways its the lads in BMWs, Audis and VWs going 140+ speeds or the women in their kiddy carriers doing make up at shocking speeds, nobody cared about learner drivers until the last few years with all the changes, now everyone is a driving snob, for the record I have a full license myself and 8 years NCB but I wouldnt begrudge a new driver the time to learn to drive.

What are you on about? I doubt anyone practicing will just go for a 5 minute spin.
    You mean someone like me who hasn't had even a tip on the M50? I highly doubt its learner drivers causing the accidents that happen every day on the M50. Calling you a company man is personal?

You're making the discussion about yourself and what you'd do, along with what you have done.

Has that ever been shown? Reports in Ireland never seem to state who was to blame.

NCB and the need to earn it, in itself is a sham. One should be loaded by showing themselves to be a risk. Not by whatever bucket an actuary can throw'em into.

What are you on about? I doubt anyone practicing will just go for a 5 minute spin.

You're making the discussion about yourself and what you'd do, along with what you have done.

Okay so maybe not a 5 minute spin but the biggest complaint people have is they cant get a fully licensed driver to come out with them which leaves them having to pay 30 euro a go with a instructor even after having the mandatory lessons.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    They are pretty good quotes, I'm not getting much less and have a full licence and 5 years no claims, I'd be biting their hand off at those before they go up.

Thanks for the advice.

dev100 wrote: »
    Your actually not doing to bad !!! I've a full license and I'm paying 850 fully comp.

I guess you are right

Skatedude wrote: »
    But those quotes are a bargain, What exactly are you giving out about?

I guess you are right as my car is old so the insurance is reasonable at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....its funny how all these new rules came in force during the recession where more money had to be spent to gain a full license.

TBH getting insurance as a learner has always been eye wateringly expensive. Going back decades. i think it used to be a lot worse. I had renewals of 2~3k at one point.

People think this is all new. But its been going on forever.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dawn-raids-on-insurance-firms-26047620.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/insurance-watchdog-dismisses-iif-report-1.338743
    The MIAB report showed that Irish insurance firms made total profits of £343 million (€434 million) from 1983 to 1999 compared to profits of £30 million in the UK, despite the difference in relative market size.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/insurers-move-to-defend-track-record-at-iba-s-annual-meeting-1.1085774

I remember I was considered uninsurable on a parents diesel (non turbo) car with a 0-60 of a 18 secs, and I had been a named driver for a few years with a full licence but no policy of my own.

IMHO provisional drivers should not be able to obtain the insurance as the insured, only as named drivers with proper loading. That should increase after a year of not passing the actual exam and if you cannot pass and keep failing, you should not really drive.

That's what the provisional is for - to learn to drive, not to drive. Learn, pass and become the driver.

That's a valid point.

beauf wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider that expensive for a Prov licence.

Yeah,now that I think of it it's not too bad.

TBH getting insurance as a learner has always been eye wateringly expensive. Going back decades. i think it used to be a lot worse. I had renewals of 2~3k at one point.

People think this is all new. But its been going on forever.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dawn-raids-on-insurance-firms-26047620.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/insurance-watchdog-dismisses-iif-report-1.338743

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/insurers-move-to-defend-track-record-at-iba-s-annual-meeting-1.1085774

I remember I was considered uninsurable on a parents diesel (non turbo) car with a 0-60 of a 18 secs, and I had been a named driver for a few years with a full licence but no policy of my own.

Sorry I meant in terms of obtaining a full license, I think I had 3 lessons in total and that was by your own choice lol, I'm getting quotes now at 33 full license NCB of 8+years in a Diesel Mondeo similar to when I was 24 2 years NCB prov license driving a Jap import Lancer Mivec:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Sorry I meant in terms of obtaining a full license, I think I had 3 lessons in total and that was by your own choice lol, I'm getting quotes now at 33 full license NCB of 8+years in a Diesel Mondeo similar to when I was 24 2 years NCB prov license driving a Jap import Lancer Mivec:pac:

My son is finding the same. Driving for about 6/7 years now, no claims but he says it's not going down. He's 32 now so there should be some signs of reduction? He started with 1.4 Kia Rio and for the past two years a 1.6 Jetta diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

What is the point of the NCT when you have to have it to get a quote,yet get screwed not only if your car is fifteen years old,but even back to ten years? My insurance went up fifty euro (probably small amount by today's rip off standards)this year for no other reason other than my car turned eleven years old.I have a clean licence for car for the past forty two years and lorry for thirty seven.

Well all quotes are going up. Except where they aren't. I say the latter because I know people with the same profile as myself and we get entirely different quotes. Mine is up 25% my oh is down 15% ish.

If you are expecting consistency from insurance companies you'll be sorely disappointed.

Well all quotes are going up. Except where they aren't. I say the latter because I know people with the same profile as myself and we get entirely different quotes. Mine is up 25% my oh is down 15% ish.

If you are expecting consistency from insurance companies you'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm consistently disappointed from them tbh:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Don't forget occupation, how long you've had your license, annual mileage declared to insurers, points, claims history, named drivers on the policy, etc. etc.

Too often I see this one. 'Me and my friend drive the same car why aren't we getting the same quote?!' There are loads of factors people dont even think about that insurers take into account.

When getting a quote over the phone they don't ask you 50 odd questions for the craic.

Some questions are data grab. They make no difference to the quote. Everyone asks a lot of unnecessary questions, trying to get data these days. Get a receipt in Argos and they want to know what I had for breakfast. I often question the question I get asked by companies and they often admit they don't need them, insurance quotes the same I ask for the same quote with out certain details, and never makes a difference. Yet you can haggle and like dell boy they can match a quote.

We can see from the links posted this drivel has been going on for years with insurance companies. You're trying to suggest, that if some tiny detail between myself and someone else over 20yrs of driving, make some massive difference to a quote. Yet I can stop my insurance for 2yrs all those details are meaningless. Those years of collecting data, of having a clean licence and claim free insurance mean nothing.

Whats odd is the only time that insurance dropped was when a different company came into to under quote. That caused competition and insurance dropped. Which suggest that now that company has gone there isn't competition.

• Advertisement

it's a substantial difference.

Alarm makes no difference on my policy. None. Have an immobiliser though.

I can see why living 50ft away makes a difference to security. makes perfect sense, not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Weirdly enough, when I put the same details twice into quoting engine, I get the same quotes... :confused: /s

Weirdly enough, when I put the same details twice into quoting engine, I get the same quotes... :confused: /s

I do the same then haggle and always get more off.

Used to ring a few times under different names with the same details then pick the cheapest quote. They ask for number plate now to avoid getting caught out.

I worked in insurance, a lady moved from Firhouse to Tallaght, literally a 5 minute distance....her premium went up, location is a killer on insurance.

Because getting a quote a few doors away is exactly like moving from Fort Knox to Downtown Detroit. Same thing.

rahmalec wrote: »
    Could we make a list of companies that insure 15 year old cars? Luck so far is 0.
    Would love if people could post any successes so we can all just go straight to the companies that will actually quote and not waste our time ...

Mine is still cheap. But rather than selling it when I change I'm considering storing it for a few yrs until it qualifies for vintage. Its worth nothing selling it. I do very little mileage in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Can we not have a sticky on this with a list that we can all edit, of the insurers that will consider older cars. The situation is constantly changing. Maybe a Mod could come up with a way that we can amend a list without having to go page through the thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

OK, So rather than me rummaging through 20 pages on this topic can ye list the top 2 companies for insurance on older cars. My insurance last year tpf& it was 500 on a 02 Passat no claims points etc. this year it's 675!

So, 25 pages later, can anyone give the name of an insurance company that is giving reasonable quotes for older cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What this discussion needs is a devils advocate - someone who can put a case (even a hypothetical one) for the insurance companies that can be argued against. There must be some justification somewhere!! Otherwise we are witnessing a consumer fraud that puts PPI in the shade.

That's exactly what it is, fraud, dressed up in T &C'S! And apart from some huffing & puffing not one serious effort to tackle these shysters by our politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

tc20 wrote: »
    just got my renewal in the post -

02 Astra 1.4
    Main driver - me, 20+ years full licence, 9 yrs NCB, 3 soon to expire PP
    Named driver - Mrs tc20, Full licence 3 years.
    Insured with AIG through First Ireland

Current policy (fully comp) €450
    Previous policy (fully comp, same car) €360
    Renewal €747 FC, €595 TPFT

Thats an increase of close to 65% for a sh1tbox daily hack (FC) or 33% TPFT :mad:
    Its also the first time they actively encouraged me to go for TPFT cover (which is correct given the value of the car)

just to give an update - I shopped around online and got quoted fully comp €570 with its4women for exactly the same cover. funny thing is, its still with AIG, though First Ireland couldn't (or couldn't be bothered) to match this.
    What a strange animal this insurance lark is...

Advertisement