Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

^ I was thinking something similar. The combat training and other sporty stuff I engage in would leave me with "hand damage" sometimes. Some of which would be perfectly congruent with what you would expect from a violent assault on another human being. The Guards have yet to knock on my door in their door to door inquiries. Perhaps I will wear gloves when they call just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Story is about a girl who is (by the account of an above poster who spoke with gardai on the estate earlier) in a very critical condition. Gender wars can be fought any day of the week in here

I have to say I completely agree. It seems few people on here can make a comment about this horrific incident without someone or other jumping in to nitpick about sexism and suchlike...
    or why certain cars were mentioned. This is a common thing on Boards. People lose the reason for the thread on petty squabbles that lead to pages long arguments... Jesus Christ lads!.... people are upset and concerned. Especially those with family away from home and at college. Can folk not have a bit of a rant without being afraid to say the wrong thing?! Sickens my arse that kind of ****e. People are chatting not making a sworn, signed, hand on the bible legal statement that has to be read over a hundred times to make sure it's politically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I went to Uni in Maynooth for years and lived around Moyglare for most of my time there, so this story has hit me particularly hard. Tbh I've found it difficult to stop thinking about it, probably because I remember the area so well, and would have walked around the village under the cover of darkness in winter a thousand times. This girl has only just started there and should still have been enjoying the new found freedom and excitement of this new stage in her life, and then this happens :(

Seeing her picture in the press today made my stomach turn. She's a mere slip of a girl, and 5' 3, not a chance of defending herself against anyone larger than her or against numbers.

I would have thought the injuries she sustained would only have been capable of being inflicted by one or more men, or a woman with unusual strength, or a weapon. It takes considerable brute force to smash someone's teeth out and break multiple bones in their face. I agree that the seriousness of it would be compatible with attempted murder. If the attacker/s were female, surely there would have had to be a number of them, and even at that, would a woman be capable of landing those injuries with a few punches? I know my fist wouldn't be capable of it, I'd probably manage to bruise someone, but that's about it. The fact that no seems to have seen anything unusual would lead me to believe the assailant was operating alone and could make a quick getaway in the foggy conditions.

The theory that her attacker was on the bus too doesn't necessarily mean they're from her home town, I think although it was a college service it stopped a few times on the route, meaning he/she could have gotten on anywhere.

I can't help feeling that it was random, because who on earth could have this kind of intentional vendetta against a slight 18 yo in her first few weeks of college?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The randomness of this awful attack is what makes it a story. But I am sure if you went into an A&E department now, you would find women in a similar state who were attacked by their partners, men who fought with their brothers/friends etc. But strangely we are more shocked by someone being attacked on a street corner than by someone they know in a safe environment such as their home.

There was another case recently in Swords where a woman was attacked and managed to get away, I wonder could there be a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

i just have a feeling that it wasn't a man that done this, it was about three or four teenage girls possibly with weapons.

people are just completely unaware of the damage a punch can do - a previous poster said that "it had to have been a man to do that level of damage" or some-such, but it wouldnt have to be.

it doesnt take much to do damage, no matter what.

i just have a feeling that some celbridge knacks, or local knacks took the opportunity to prove their hardiness on this poor girl.

she's tiny looking too, so again, wouldnt take much to inflict damage unfortunately.

my guess is it was a "girl gang" type thing and i'd put money on it that it wasn't anything like this "larry murphy" type scenario of a creep on the bus.

sure she wasnt robbed, sexually assaulted or anything, so it was defo other girls proving their hardness amongst a gang (IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

pookie82 wrote: »
    I went to Uni in Maynooth for years and lived around Moyglare for most of my time there, so this story has hit me particularly hard. Tbh I've found it difficult to stop thinking about it, probably because I remember the area so well, and would have walked around the village under the cover of darkness in winter a thousand times. This girl has only just started there and should still have been enjoying the new found freedom and excitement of this new stage in her life, and then this happens :(

Seeing her picture in the press today made my stomach turn. She's a mere slip of a girl, and 5' 3, not a chance of defending herself against anyone larger than her or against numbers.

I would have thought the injuries she sustained would only have been capable of being inflicted by one or more men, or a woman with unusual strength, or a weapon. It takes considerable brute force to smash someone's teeth out and break multiple bones in their face. I agree that the seriousness of it would be compatible with attempted murder. If the attacker/s were female, surely there would have had to be a number of them, and even at that, would a woman be capable of landing those injuries with a few punches? I know my fist wouldn't be capable of it, I'd probably manage to bruise someone, but that's about it. The fact that no seems to have seen anything unusual would lead me to believe the assailant was operating alone and could make a quick getaway in the foggy conditions.

The theory that her attacker was on the bus too doesn't necessarily mean they're from her home town, I think although it was a college service it stopped a few times on the route, meaning he/she could have gotten on anywhere.

I can't help feeling that it was random, because who on earth could have this kind of intentional vendetta against a slight 18 yo in her first few weeks of college?

Who knows? It could have been a drunken or drugged up scumbag who lashed out at an easy target, it could have been a stalker who decided to smash her face, perhaps she was arguing with someone on the bus who attacked her when she was on her own or a group of people she fell out with were waiting to ambush her. It could be any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

I'm curious to know why you felt the need to mention the brand of car people in your estate drive? Graham O Dwyer drived luxury car brands what relevance does it have to this ? It's extremely shocking what has happened to this girl and I hope the Gardai quickly catch the attacker.

Context. Paints a picture. Narrative. You know... The way it helps us mere humans visualize a scene when processing information. These sorts of attacks can occur anywhere. Not even the most cosseted of communities is safe from these sorts of incidents. Clearly. For what it's worth I neither live in a detached house or drive a luxury vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

magentis wrote: »
    I know!

And there are no large detached houses in there either,those detached houses are less than 1800 square feet.

My gatehouse is bigger than that ffs! :pac:

So I suppose the 3000+ sq ft house the attack happened outside doesn't count?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

i just have a feeling that it wasn't a man that done this, it was about three or four teenage girls possibly with weapons.

That's the feeling I got. I feel unless it was a mentally ill man or a junkie out of his mind for a fix, for a man to do this it'd likely be part of a partner or ex partner beating or stranger sexually assault. I would've thought unusual for a man or men to beat up a random woman. Women can be capable of vicious attacks on other girls especially facial beatings.. but sure we're only guessing. Just hope she recovers quickly and can identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is actually a fallacy - people are generally being attacked less now than in times gone by, you just hear about it more than you did because of social media etc.
    That being said it was a very nasty assault and I hope whoever done it gets what they deserve..

Actually I call bullshyte to that.

Growing up in 1980s and in college into the 90s, there was never the same level of attacks and murders in the country.

Yeah maybe a few guys had a pop at each other at the end of the night, but it wasn't carried over to the hospital A&E or there weren't knives and bottles involved.

In most years of the 80s there was never a murder a week.

Looking at recent CSO stats number of violent crimes involving death has dropped over last few years from peak around 2004/2005/2006, but if you compared current times to 80s or 90s the numbers today would still be high.

Also for anyone that lives in rural areas crime, particularly theft and violent assault, has drastically increased over the last couple of decades.

Maybe I should stop watching Criminal Minds, but this particular attack looks like it was personal and carried out by someone with a lot of rage towards the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually I call bullshyte to that.

Growing up in 1980s and in college into the 90s, there was never the same level of attacks and murders in the country.

Yeah maybe a few guys had a pop at each other at the end of the night, but it wasn't carried over to the hospital A&E or there weren't knives and bottles involved.

In most years of the 80s there was never a murder a week.

Looking at recent CSO stats number of violent crimes involving death has dropped over last few years from peak around 2004/2005/2006, but if you compared current times to 80s or 90s the numbers today would still be high.

Also for anyone that lives in rural areas crime, particularly theft and violent assault, has drastically increased over the last couple of decades.

Maybe I should stop watching Criminal Minds, but this particular attack looks like it was personal and carried out by someone with a lot of rage towards the victim.

I'd tend to agree.

With less garda numbers and resources being so poor the government have reclassified a lot of crimes and incidents to deflect the issues that are actually out there.

I never remember the country being so violent.

Just to say this attack could have happened anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'd tend to agree.

With less garda numbers and resources being so poor the government have reclassified a lot of crimes and incidents to deflect the issues that are actually out there.

I never remember the country being so violent.

Actually saw Maynooth guy on news last night saying that the local Garda station is shut.
    On Garda website it's opening hours are
    Mon-Fri 1000-1300, 1900-2100
    Sat 1000-1300
    Sun 1200-1400

This is town with population of 15,000 odd and student population of over 8,000.
    That is a joke.

There should always be a Garda presence in a town of that size and particularly where there is sizable student population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hococop wrote: »
    Have they much to go on?
    I'm assuming CCTV footage is limited around the area and id imagine the bus driver would not recall the faces of who got off at certain stops.

Hopefully they find the person/persons responsible and she makes a speedy recovery

There might be cctv at all of the stops that the bus went to before arriving in maynooth. They might not know who got off in maynooth alongside her but this is another way to figure out who else was on the bus. A process of elimination from there could whittle it down fairly easily.

Call me Al wrote: »
    There might be cctv at all of the stops that the bus went to before arriving in maynooth. They might not know who got off in maynooth alongside her but this is another way to figure out who else was on the bus. A process of elimination from there could whittle it down fairly easily.

I believe the bus stops outside the college entrance on the Moyglare road. Wouldn't any CCTV up along that road apart from at houses and with the heavy fog it might not be to helpful.

Someone in Maynooth saw something without a doubt though. They just need to have a long hard think and report it. Not matter how irrelevant.

I know Moyglare and surrounding estates. At that time they would be teaming with activity. People out walking, Students returning to digs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I believe the bus stops outside the college entrance on the Moyglare road. Wouldn't any CCTV up along that road apart from at houses and with the heavy fog it might not be to helpful.

Someone in Maynooth saw something without a doubt though. They just need to have a long hard think and report it. Not matter how irrelevant.

I know Moyglare and surrounding estates. At that time they would be teaming with activity. People out walking, Students returning to digs etc.

Hard to imagine you could give someone a beating like that without much noise being made.

Hard to imagine you could give someone a beating like that without much noise being made.

Some reports are suggesting that neighbours were alerted by screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

If this was my hood id dress up as a girl and walk the streets at night.... with a billy club :devil:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

mattser wrote: »
    Exactly. Things seriously derailed on here. Best of luck to the girl and her family, indeed.
    Graham wrote: »
    It's only inflammatory to an overly sensitive subsection of the population.

Best of luck to the young woman, speedy recovery.

Ironically enough my post on that was an afterthought to my post about the actual incident and the reason things like this happen so frequently in Ireland (lack of criminal penalties even when someone gets convicted), and yet everyone is focusing on this. :rolleyes:

My main point still stands. The scumbags responsible will be caught, catching criminals has never been a problem in Ireland. The Gardai are actually exceptionally good at it. It's when the matter is handed over to judges to call a sentence that the whole system goes out the f*cking window.

These guys will get a slap on the wrist in court, mark my words. If I'm wrong, I will be more than happy to be wrong - I hope they get taken off the streets for many, many years. But I can unfortunately almost guarantee that this will not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Has there been any further update today on the girls condition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Doesn't have to be the dead of night, it's dark at 4.30pm now.

It doesn't even have to be dark. Scumbags in Ireland are immune to broad daylight, unfortunately.

Ironically enough my post on that was an afterthought to my post about the actual incident and the reason things like this happen so frequently in Ireland (lack of criminal penalties even when someone gets convicted), and yet everyone is focusing on this. :rolleyes:

My main point still stands. The scumbags responsible will be caught, catching criminals has never been a problem in Ireland. The Gardai are actually exceptionally good at it. It's when the matter is handed over to judges to call a sentence that the whole system goes out the f*cking window.

These guys will get a slap on the wrist in court, mark my words. If I'm wrong, I will be more than happy to be wrong - I hope they get taken off the streets for many, many years. But I can unfortunately almost guarantee that this will not happen.

In a nutshell.

We will hear all of the usual get out of jail free cards. They were from a bad family, have a drug dependency. They have cleaned themselves up and want to be around for their unborn child.

What we won't hear are the 200 previous convictions.

I am sick of people getting off because they had a hard childhood etc.

This filth should never see daylight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

In a nutshell.

We will hear all of the usual get out of jail free cards. They were from a bad family, have a drug dependency. They have cleaned themselves up and want to be around for their unborn child.

What we won't hear are the 200 previous convictions.

I am sick of people getting off because they had a hard childhood etc.

This filth should never see daylight again.

previous convictions should be allowed noted in court cases, and applied to any thinking on sentences handed out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

2smiggy wrote: »
    previous convictions should be allowed noted in court cases, and applied to any thinking on sentences handed out

I don't think they should be allowed in court before a verdict is delivered. It can skew how a judge or jury views someone. It's only human nature to be swayed that way.

Once the verdict is given, then previous convictions should be taken into account when sentencing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't think they should be allowed in court before a verdict is delivered. It can skew how a judge or jury views someone. It's only human nature to be swayed that way.

Once the verdict is given, then previous convictions should be taken into account when sentencing.

I actually thought they were, or am I naïve? I've often heard "taking into account previous record"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

pilly wrote: »
    I actually thought they were, or am I naïve? I've often heard "taking into account previous record"?

Not when giving instructions to the jury, only at the point of sentencing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Not when giving instructions to the jury, only at the point of sentencing.

I suppose that kind of makes sense in a way that it won't prejudice a jury but at the same time if someone has a spate of convictions for violence surely it's relevant. Hard one really. Either way the judges know well someone's record and it's down to them to pass down the harsh sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ah the poor wee thing, she's only tiny. Shocking attack, she's got a long hard recovery in front of her, not least mentally. Her poor parents.

My instinct reading it was that it was a woman or women, interesting to see that other people have the same reaction. Fcuking coward whoever it was, from looking at the girl a ten year old would give her a run for her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I blame heavy metal music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Culture is also a factor. Heavy drink and a cocktail of drugs. Bound to get the spirits high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement