Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Seems the perp was on the bus with her according to reports. Digruntled lover/bf or something who knows?

That was one possibility Gardai were investigating. Have there been more recent developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Graham wrote: »
    That was one possibility Gardai were investigating. Have there been more recent developments?

Not that I know of. But am convinced that the signal about the attacker possibly having been on the same bus is important.

If it transpires that the perpetrator was on the same bus and followed the girl home, how could that be "random"

All the way from Monaghon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I would image that there was some DNA found under the victims fingernails which would indicate some element of a struggle. The attacker(s) will more than likely have some form of scraps or scratches based on how it was worded on the news report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

God :(

That's very shocking.

It's gone very ''C.S.I Ballyboggin'' around here though.

God :(

That's very shocking.

It's gone very ''C.S.I Ballyboggin'' around here though.

If you weren't involved or worried I'm sure you might think that, but it is worrying for students walking home in the Winter.

Doesn't have to be the dead of night, it's dark at 4.30pm now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If you weren't involved or worried I'm sure you might think that, but it is worrying for students walking home in the Winter.

Doesn't have to be the dead of night, it's dark at 4.30pm now.

As I said, I find it shocking.
    Just a little joke.

As I said, I find it shocking.
    Just a little joke.

No worries. Hope the girl is ok, and the attacker is found. I'm sure that will be the case. Hints all around in the media and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When I think of my three younger sisters who were all past college students living away from home and did get buses back to digs on Sunday evenings like this poor girl, reading this sends a chill down my spine at the thought that they would ever have had to suffer an ordeal like this.

Someone questioned the relevance of the gender in reporting the story but while it would be equally awful if it happened to anyone, male or female, you cannot deny that women are generally more vulnerable to being overpowered by a male assailant than men and that is why the horror of what happened is particularly upsetting.

I hope she recovers from her injuries soon and that the assailant is caught and gets the justice he truly deserves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ongarboy wrote: »
    When I think of my three younger sisters who were all past college students living away from home and did get buses back to digs on Sunday evenings like this poor girl, reading this sends a chill down my spine at the thought that they would ever have had to suffer an ordeal like this.

Never mind students travelling back to digs on a Sunday night my oldest (19) attends Maynooth and Im even terrified of her walking home to the house after this even though its only a 15 minute walk.
    Last night she went for a few pints after college and I didnt sleep a wink until she was safely home.

I hope this scumbag is caught and receives the maximum sentence allowed for this assault (attempted murder possibly??)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Am local in Moyglare Abbey. Gardai going door to door this evening. Spoke to a Garda this evening. Wanted to know of the household's whereabouts on Sunday night. Wanted to know if we had seen or heard anything untoward. We did not. Thing is, though Moyglare Abbey is a very quiet estate, it's a busy one with lots of comings and goings. However, it was very cold and very, very foggy on Sunday night making the place very still. I imagine most residents - like me - have the hatches battened down for the night with the heat on and watching the telly. It's also quite a narrow, but deep estate. I'm at least half a km to the entrance - where the attack happened.

Now, the severity of this attack is not necessarily coming across in the reporting. The Garda told us she's in a very, very bad way - critically, life-threateningly injured. His words. She has not regained consciousness since the attack. An attack like this may leave her with no recollection of what happened to her and by whom - so we were told.

Lastly, this is very, very unusual for this estate, let alone town. Student levels in this estate is low - mostly owner occupied and a few professional rentals. The estate is made up of large detached houses and an equal amount of semi D's. It's very child friendly with lots of green space and lots of kids to fill them. It's very settled and suburban - lots of moms with SUVs and minivans and lots of Dads with BMWs and Audis. We're all in shock and all very upset for this young woman.

Maynooth has of course the expected anti-social stuff in the chippers at chucking out time most weekends however, this level of violence is a new one on me and I'm here 20 years.

So, that's it. I just thought I'd share.

• Advertisement

known to her attacker is common parlance.

Could be true.

Dublin Bus does not even go into the campus anymore.

Does anyone know why this is?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Did it ever go into the campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

pilly wrote: »
    No-one is trying to say a man wouldn't be scared but are you really saying that you wouldn't be more likely to be able to defend yourself?

That's the point I'm trying to make really, some people, (maybe both men and women) are able to defend themselves better.

I suppose I'm coming from the angle of picturing my tiny 23 year old daughter vs my 6ft 3in son and I know he certainly would be much better capable of defending himself. And he has actually had a knife held to his throat for a phone so I'm not condoning attacks on men either.

This isn't a men vs women issue but if men can't see how it would be more horrific for a young 18 year old girl then maybe therein lies part of the problem.

I know either of my sons would take a beating rather than have their sister endure one.
    When theyre attacking you with a baseball bat it doesn't matter what your gender is, it will be equally horrific no matter what size the victim is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm a student in Maynooth the last 3 years (in 4th year now).

I don't recall Dublin bus ever going into the campus, nor do I see a reason for them to. There are already Dublin bus stops around the place in Maynooth.

Dozens of private buses come into the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

wakka12 wrote: »
    When theyre attacking you with a baseball bat it doesn't matter what your gender is, it will be equally horrific no matter what size the victim is

Leave it there, eh? :)

Story is about a girl who is (by the account of an above poster who spoke with gardai on the estate earlier) in a very critical condition.
    Gender wars can be fought any day of the week in here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My son said yesterday that she was in an induced coma but as that could be hearsay I didn't mention it before but if the gardai are saying she is in a critical condition then it may well be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Witchie wrote: »
    My son said yesterday that she was in an induced coma but as that could be hearsay I didn't mention it before but if the gardai are saying she is in a critical condition then it may well be true.

I heard in several reports that she's not been conscious since the attack? And so hasn't been able to speak to gardai. But Im sure there were reasons why they used the word not conscious rather than in a coma in the articles, maybe they meant just not fully with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Read this in the paper today.
    Her face smashed.
    Poor thing. Hope she recovers mentally from it.
    What is wrong with people that whatever is inside them is expressed in smashing someone else's skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

wakka12 wrote: »
    I heard in several reports that she's not been conscious since the attack? And so hasn't been able to speak to gardai. But Im sure there were reasons why they used the word not conscious rather than in a coma in the articles, maybe they meant just not fully with it

Maybe they don't want to use the words induced coma or maybe she is flitting in and out of consciousness. I don't know. As I say my son knows some of her secondary school classmates and this is what they are hearing but might not be fully reliable. Whatever the case it isn't good that she is not fully awake.
    Read this in the paper today.
    Her face smashed.
    Poor thing. Hope she recovers mentally from it.
    What is wrong with people that whatever is inside them is expressed in smashing someone else's skull.

Agreed but she needs to recover physically first. 🙁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

How can anyone do this to a girl... In a civilised society??

I despair sometimes at how cruel we can be to our fellow man....

Reading how soft life is these days in prison... There is just no punishments out there these days to discourage crime.

My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family... If only justice was also on their side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Am local in Moyglare Abbey. Gardai going door to door this evening. Spoke to a Garda this evening. Wanted to know of the household's whereabouts on Sunday night. Wanted to know if we had seen or heard anything untoward. We did not. Thing is, though Moyglare Abbey is a very quiet estate, it's a busy one with lots of comings and goings. However, it was very cold and very, very foggy on Sunday night making the place very still. I imagine most residents - like me - have the hatches battened down for the night with the heat on and watching the telly. It's also quite a narrow, but deep estate. I'm at least half a km to the entrance - where the attack happened.

Now, the severity of this attack is not necessarily coming across in the reporting. The Garda told us she's in a very, very bad way - critically, life-threateningly injured. His words. She has not regained consciousness since the attack. An attack like this may leave her with no recollection of what happened to her and by whom - so we were told.

Lastly, this is very, very unusual for this estate, let alone town. Student levels in this estate is low - mostly owner occupied and a few professional rentals. The estate is made up of large detached houses and an equal amount of semi D's. It's very child friendly with lots of green space and lots of kids to fill them. It's very settled and suburban - lots of moms with SUVs and minivans and lots of Dads with BMWs and Audis. We're all in shock and all very upset for this young woman.

Maynooth has of course the expected anti-social stuff in the chippers at chucking out time most weekends however, this level of violence is a new one on me and I'm here 20 years.

So, that's it. I just thought I'd share.

I'm curious to know why you felt the need to mention the brand of car people in your estate drive? Graham O Dwyer drived luxury car brands what relevance does it have to this ? It's extremely shocking what has happened to this girl and I hope the Gardai quickly catch the attacker.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I did my postgrad degree in NUI Maynooth and lectured there for a while later on (late 90s/early 2000s). I always felt safe there - believed Maynooth to be a pretty safe town. I'm shocked by this attack. I was thinking of buying a house in Maynooth in the near future.

I hope the assailant is caught and brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm curious to know why you felt the need to mention the brand of car people in your estate drive? Graham O Dwyer drived luxury car brands what relevance does it have to this ? It's extremely shocking what has happened to this girl and I hope the Gardai quickly catch the attacker.

Have they much to go on?
    I'm assuming CCTV footage is limited around the area and id imagine the bus driver would not recall the faces of who got off at certain stops.

Hopefully they find the person/persons responsible and she makes a speedy recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I know!

And there are no large detached houses in there either,those detached houses are less than 1800 square feet.

My gatehouse is bigger than that ffs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hococop wrote: »
    Have they much to go on?
    I'm assuming CCTV footage is limited around the area and id imagine the bus driver would not recall the faces of who got off at certain stops.

Hopefully they find the person/persons responsible and she makes a speedy recovery

It's over a kilometre to the village (a taxi driver told me that) and the nearest CCTV camera. The estate is on a country road. One side of it is fields.
    The side entrance to the college is halfway to the village. I live next to it so they would have gotten off the bus outside where I live.

It's probably the last place I would have expected something to happen.

My Wednesday Meditation Session with students and others people (including a cop) is tonight so hopefully I can glean the "word on the street" directly from the police and students myself. Not that I can or would share much of what I learn here - privacy and all that - but it will be interesting to know what talk is out there. I imagine it will be on everyone's minds tonight.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    I always felt safe there - believed Maynooth to be a pretty safe town.

And I think it still is. One attack is not going to change my feeling on that. "Random attacks" happen all the time in Ireland. One occurrence in the general statistics in Maynooth is not going to colour my entire view of this town.

As I said earlier some years ago we had a clearly sexually motivated attack on my partner in Maynooth. She was shaken at the time of course but it has also not coloured her overall feeling of Maynooth. She still feels as safe here as anywhere. If anything she was just frustrated at herself for not finishing the guy off and dragging him to the cops by the heel. She did leave her attacker in a pretty bad way she thinks.

So buy that house :) come join us! It's a good town.

It is easy to forget - for all our civilisation and technology - that we are still essentially just animals. With - as Christopher Hitchens used to say - Frontal lobes that are too small and adrenal glands that are too big and bearing every mark of our lowly ancestry.

There is a lot to be proud of - and find hope in - in the achievements and nobility of human kind - but not without forgetting we are just another mammalian animal. And much of our species are keen to act in ways that remind us of this daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

The poor young girl,what a desperate ordeal to have to go through.I hope she has alot of support around her. I also think its a reminder to us all especiallythe younger teenagers boys and girls to exercise caution .We can all become very complacent,as many saying they were shocked in this quiet area and wouldnt expect it.I listen to my own girls saying 'ah I'm only going down the road' ,"im only going into town" but let this be a warning to us all to be a bit more aware of our surroundings .My heart goes out to this girl and her family ,she is only a child just starting out .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Have Gardai the right to check the hands(for damage) of people?. If so why dont they do this in large scale sweeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

califano wrote: »
    Have Gardai the right to check the hands(for damage) of people?. If so why dont they do this in large scale sweeps?

Breaking news. 18 members of a local boxing club, 4 carpenters and one clumsy dude have been arrested in relation to a vicious attack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement