Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Dolbert wrote: »
    Heard on RTÉ news that Gardaí are exploring the possibility that someone may have followed her off the bus. Scary stuff.

This is what I thought.

It was such a thick fog that the likelihood of someone just targeting her walking down the road seems unlikely. You wouldn't have seen your hand in front of your face around here on Sunday night* I remember trying to drive to the shop in it.

Someone following her from the last well lit place she was. i.e. the bus, seems more plausible.

But who knows. My heart goes out to her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

A girl was severely beaten a few years ago outside the spa hotel on the n4. Don't think anyone was ever caught for it. Not too far away from maynooth. I'm sure the guards are aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Most important thing is this poor girl gets better asap and my heart goes out to parents and family

This story having read more about it makes me angry. I hope when they are caught they are named and picture everywhere. Dont care what age they are

Well the law does

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Heard on RTÉ news that Gardaí are exploring the possibility that someone may have followed her off the bus. Scary stuff.

Reminds me of Levi Belfield, UK serial killer. He used to see women on the bus, easy to do at night when it's dark out and the bus is full of light. He'd follow them then attack them, at least one was attacked on a residential street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

IF it's random and unprovoked*, there is something seriously wrong with somebody who gets their kicks doing that much damage to somebody. They are not going to just take up knitting as the evenings draw in. Maybe it won't be maynooth, but somewhere nearby but someone capable of this will do it again if not caught.

*Be hard to think of what could prompt such a brutal assault, but I think people naturally search for some trigger for these type of things

I live in Maynooth. It's not unusual to see fights around the main st area after a student night out. Its not a regular thing but not unusual either. A few years ago there were a spate of assaults around that area and up along the canal. It was mainly scumbags from celbridge that did it.
    I was actually attacked outside the leinster arms/mantra/cathedral building. 4 guys jumped me when I was drunk. The whole thing was captured on CCTV. And it was kids from Celbridge, with no previous record, from "good families" who did it.

However it rarely ever happens in the estates. Moyglare abbey especially is a very quiet estate. There's nothing out there except countryside and the estate. It's mainly families and very few students. There's no reason to go there unless you live there.

I'd say whoever did this either lives there, has friends there or got lost trying to find somewhere else. I live next to it and I've occasionally had out of towners ask for directions. Normally they want somewhere on the other side of town and headed the wrong direction out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I can't imagine a thread about a young guy getting beaten up being full of 'but what about the women' types of posts like this one has.

Some people around here really have some big chips on their shoulders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Del.Monte wrote: »
    People in general are being attacked far more in recent years - that isn't a golden age fallacy. This sort of attack needs to cracked down on hard whatever it takes and the charge when brought to court should be attempted murder.

Do you have any data to back up your claim?
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm caught up by this one as it is the latest incident and is particularly brutal. Those involved should be hung from a tree. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities,

Do you think a hanging is a just sentence for an assault? Should they all be hanged? Or just the ones who inflicted the biggest injuries?
    pilly wrote: »
    Totally agree. As a woman who is not sporty at all I have a been in a situation where someone has punched me and I have to say it was the biggest shock of my life. I know men feel it as well but your point is well made, if you're used to playing football etc. it may not be as big a shock.

I'm a guy, I am quite sporty, a punch in the face would be quite shocking. You imply that a man should expect a punch and it shouldn't be a big deal. That's nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Do you have any data to back up your claim?

Do you think a hanging is a just sentence for an assault? Should they all be hanged? Or just the ones who inflicted the biggest injuries?

I'm a guy, I am quite sporty, a punch in the face would be quite shocking. You imply that a man should expect a punch and it shouldn't be a big deal. That's nonsense.

No I don't imply that it shouldn't be a big deal just not as big a deal as for a woman. I'm sorry if all the easily offended men here don't get the logic behind it but it's not nonsense, it's my opinion and the opinion of most men I know. This just seems to being turning into a ridiculous tit for tat about how men hurt as much as women. Get over yourselves!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can't imagine a thread about a young guy getting beaten up being full of 'but what about the women' types of posts like this one has.

Some people around here really have some big chips on their shoulders

Now you've hit the nail on the head. What is the problem with people being more shocked about an attack on a young woman. It's PC crap gone mad.

I'm not even going to argue the case anymore. Anyone who can't see that it's different obviously have a HUGE chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who gives a flying cow if it's a boy or girl.

Shocking attack and the culprits need be caught and brought to justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Now you've hit the nail on the head. What is the problem with people being more shocked about an attack on a young woman. It's PC crap gone mad.

I'm not even going to argue the case anymore. Anyone who can't see that it's different obviously have a HUGE chip on their shoulder.

Actually you'd be hard pressed to be any more wrong on that - people being more up in arms because it was a woman is about the definition of what 'PC' is.

political correctness
    noun
    the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
    "women like him for his civil rights stand and political correctness"

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually you'd be hard pressed to be any more wrong on that - people being more up in arms because it was a woman is about the definition of what 'PC' is.

political correctness
    noun
    the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
    "women like him for his civil rights stand and political correctness"

I think people are talking about it because it was a serious attack in a place where you would think someone would be safe. That and the fact there is no obvious motive. And of course people are up in arms about it, if someone was beaten senseless on my street at half eight in the evening I'd be worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Very strange they are naming and giving a description of the victim all day in the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Grayson wrote: »
    I live in Maynooth. It's not unusual to see fights around the main st area after a student night out. Its not a regular thing but not unusual either. A few years ago there were a spate of assaults around that area and up along the canal. It was mainly scumbags from celbridge that did it.
    I was actually attacked outside the leinster arms/mantra/cathedral building. 4 guys jumped me when I was drunk. The whole thing was captured on CCTV. And it was kids from Celbridge, with no previous record, from "good families" who did it.

However it rarely ever happens in the estates. Moyglare abbey especially is a very quiet estate. There's nothing out there except countryside and the estate. It's mainly families and very few students. There's no reason to go there unless you live there.

I'd say whoever did this either lives there, has friends there or got lost trying to find somewhere else. I live next to it and I've occasionally had out of towners ask for directions. Normally they want somewhere on the other side of town and headed the wrong direction out of town.

I'd agree with you about the fighting on the main street.

However the estates have gotten a lot rougher over the last few years. Moyglare abbey like most other estates now have its fair share of students living in it.

Nobody would just wonder up to this estate, that's why I doubt it was a random attack.

The entrance to it is very busy also so this would suggest it was perhaos planned.

However done it needs to be dealt with either by our inept justice system or else hopefully a decent vigilante will get their hands on the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,282 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's horrible what happened to this woman but I don't like these posts suggesting it is worse than if it happened to a man and that men are better able to take a beating if they play contact sports.

A broken jaw and nose hurts regardless of ones gender, I know this because I was the victim of an unprovoked attack.

If someone jumps you before you have time to react there's not much you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No I don't imply that it shouldn't be a big deal just not as big a deal as for a woman. I'm sorry if all the easily offended men here don't get the logic behind it but it's not nonsense, it's my opinion and the opinion of most men I know. This just seems to being turning into a ridiculous tit for tat about how men hurt as much as women. Get over yourselves!!

Maybe you would be better off debating the topic instead of posting tripe filled with passive aggressive comments which only have one purpose, to attack any posters that don't agree with you. Your tactics are weak.

Men hurt, women hurt. This idea that you have that men seem to have this fantastic pain threshold/tolerance is all in your head.

Your last sentence is really dividing. Why post something like that? You are the one creating a "us versus them" mentality.

Same posting style as above, "if you don't agree with my opinion, there is something wrong with you". It's a logical fallacy, ad hominem.

Accepting any sort of violence should be avoided, be it dealt to a man or woman. (I hope it's ok to put "man" first in this sentence, I don't want to cause any offense, the sentence just flows better this way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Scumbag culture is the cause of all these needless violent acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Seems to be more scum in general on the streets. Not a weekend goes by without somebody getting beaten in the small town where I live.

It's just part of a night out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

ceadaoin. wrote: »

You're twisting what occurred.

This wasn't merely a thread about an attack on a female and then a load of guys jumped on the thread to say 'but what about the men' as you're implying.

What happened was that some users began suggesting that their level of concern and outrage correlated with the fact that the person attacked was female and as a means of justifying such their attitude they went on to further suggest that young lads could / should be able to take such an assault in their stride.

You really expect people to ignore that level of ignorance?
    Who gives a flying cow if it's a boy or girl.

Unfortunately, many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm all for equality but I'm getting a little tired of the outrage from some people every time a big deal is made of a woman or a womans issue. It's particularly prevalent when it comes to domestic violence. Yes, men can be victims too. Doesn't mean we have to downplay female victims. The fact of the matter is women are generally more vulnerable to physical harm than men. People don't like to see stories of brutal attacks on women because it usually indicates an assailant who has no qualms about targeting the more vulnerable among us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You're twisting what occurred.

This wasn't merely a thread about an attack on a female and then a load of guys jumped on the thread to say 'but what about the men' as you're implying.

What happened was that some users began suggesting that their level of concern and outrage correlated with the fact that the person attacked was female and as a means of justifying such their attitude they went on to further suggest that young lads could / should be able to take such an assault in their stride.

You really expect people to ignore that level of ignorance?

Well one of the first posts was asking why the gender of the victim is even relevant. There is a possibility that this person was targeted because she is a female and that is relevant. Why can't we talk about that without accusations of caring less about male victims?

For what it's worth I think a random attack like this is horrible whoever the victim is and I would have the same level of sympathy regardless if they were male or female.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think people are talking about it because it was a serious attack in a place where you would think someone would be safe. That and the fact there is no obvious motive. And of course people are up in arms about it, if someone was beaten senseless on my street at half eight in the evening I'd be worried.
    I agree it was horrible and have no issue with it being covered or given serious attention from the gards, I just don't like the idea that it should be the absolute #1 priority of the police and media non stop until the culprit is found, almost solely on the basis of it being a woman who was attacked, which is what I initially responded to in the thread.

I also don't get how people being pointing out that men and women deserve equal protection is as one poster put it 'pc crap gone mad' when if anything, treating it differently because it was a woman would be right along the definition of PC. But that might just be to do with PC being used as a way of saying 'people I don't agree with' more and more lately.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I agree it was horrible and have no issue with it being covered or given serious attention from the gards, I just don't like the idea that it should be the absolute #1 priority of the police and media non stop until the culprit is found, almost solely on the basis of it being a woman who was attacked, which is what I initially responded to in the thread.

I also don't get how people being pointing out that men and women deserve equal protection is as one poster put it 'pc crap gone mad' when if anything, treating it differently because it was a woman would be right along the definition of PC. But that might just be to do with PC being used as a way of saying 'people I don't agree with' more and more lately.

I don't think it's worse because it's a woman. If it was a young lad I'd be equally as shocked. What's shocking to me is that everything on AH these days has to be a gender war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

mikhail wrote: »
    Women have been assaulted for as long as there have been women. This is a golden age fallacy.

A friend of mine spent time in prison for violent armed robbery in the 90's and he'd blanch at the thought of hitting a woman. I know it's weird logic when coming from anyone who's assault any person but it's the idea of picking on someone who is probably smaller than you. (Yeah I know some women are big, strong, have self defense skills)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think the suggestion that this exact scenario being ignored if the victim was male is deluded. I can't believe that's anyone's primary response to reading this story tbh.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think it's worse because it's a woman. If it was a young lad I'd be equally as shocked. What's shocking to me is that everything on AH these days has to be a gender war.

I would agree, but that was my initial point - the two posters (OP's second post in the thread & the one you quoted me, err... quoting :D) were seemingly interested in doing so, which is something I take issue with. And if anything on the (rather twisted at times!) AH spectrum I'd probably fall closer to the 'SJW' end of things, but as someone who puts a high value on equality I also believe it has to go both ways. So while someone claiming it's fine to discriminate against one side irritates me, someone claiming it's fine to discriminate against the other does too.

Just to explain that's where my issue with those posts was - going out of their way to claim it should be treated much different, much more seriously, and given much more attention simply because it was a woman. Which in turn is discriminatory against men.

Either way I hope she comes out of this OK, and do hope that significant efforts are put into finding whatever scumbag was behind it - hopefully with successful ones too.

I think the suggestion that this exact scenario being ignored if the victim was male is deluded. I can't believe that's anyone's primary response to reading this story tbh.
    Has it been many peoples though? From what I saw was less 'if he was a male it wouldn't be taken seriously' type posts and more 'because she was a female it should be taken more seriously' types, though I admittedly did skim through it in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't believe that a girl getting beaten up has turned into a thread about sexism/feminism.

A girl got beaten up. It is true that society treats violence against girls differently to violence against guys but is a thread like this really the place for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This thread is missing the point, I fear. What'll happen in this as in literally all other cases of assault in Ireland, is that the scrotes responsible will be found thanks to some diligent detective work by the local Gardai, they will prepare a charge sheet or the DPP may do so if the assault is deemed serious enough, the state will spend a lot of time, money and effort mounting a successful prosecution case, and then some idiot of a judge will give all of them suspended sentences (read: nothing) and let them go.

We don't punish people for violent crime in Ireland, simple as that. Blaming society or law enforcement is unfair, it's the judiciary who refuse to send people to prison until they've already become hardened career criminals (and even then many continue to get away with no prison time despite racking up entire encyclopaedias of previous convictions) - we need minimum sentences for violent crime in this country because our judges refuse to sentence people of their own free will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Grayson wrote: »
    I can't believe that a girl getting beaten up has turned into a thread about sexism/feminism.

A girl got beaten up. It is true that society treats violence against girls differently to violence against guys but is a thread like this really the place for it?

This wouldn't have happened if the OP hadn't highlighted gender in the thread title. It's understandably inflammatory, much like when the media reports "12 people, including 3 women, have been killed in an airstrike".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement