Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

In a nutshell.

We will hear all of the usual get out of jail free cards. They were from a bad family, have a drug dependency. They have cleaned themselves up and want to be around for their unborn child.

What we won't hear are the 200 previous convictions.

I am sick of people getting off because they had a hard childhood etc.

This filth should never see daylight again.

Unborn child? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I blame heavy metal music.

Ha..if the culprit listened to more of it he might have got some of his aggression out instead of taking it out on the poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually I call bullshyte to that.

Growing up in 1980s and in college into the 90s, there was never the same level of attacks and murders in the country.

Yeah maybe a few guys had a pop at each other at the end of the night, but it wasn't carried over to the hospital A&E or there weren't knives and bottles involved.

In most years of the 80s there was never a murder a week.

Looking at recent CSO stats number of violent crimes involving death has dropped over last few years from peak around 2004/2005/2006, but if you compared current times to 80s or 90s the numbers today would still be high.

Also for anyone that lives in rural areas crime, particularly theft and violent assault, has drastically increased over the last couple of decades.

Maybe I should stop watching Criminal Minds, but this particular attack looks like it was personal and carried out by someone with a lot of rage towards the victim.

Crime is less than the 80's. The main reason is that crime is based on poverty levels and opportunity. The poorer the population the more crime. Now even when the poverty levels drop there's still crimes. Some are based on opportunity and some are based on more personal reasons. Things like random attacks are normally based on a mixture. They are based on personal, not economic reasons and based on opportunity because they rarely happen next to a garda station or somewhere with people walking around.

Thankfully those sort of attacks are rare. They never account for a large part of the statistics.

It's important to remember that we're in one of the safest countries in the world and although there's never going to be somewhere that has zero crime we are still lucky to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually saw Maynooth guy on news last night saying that the local Garda station is shut.
    On Garda website it's opening hours are
    Mon-Fri 1000-1300, 1900-2100
    Sat 1000-1300
    Sun 1200-1400

This is town with population of 15,000 odd and student population of over 8,000.
    That is a joke.

There should always be a Garda presence in a town of that size and particularly where there is sizable student population.

I had to go there last year to get something signed. It took 4 attempts before I arrived when someone was there.
    Some reports are suggesting that neighbours were alerted by screaming.

Maynooth always has screaming. There's always some drunk student wandering around. I live near the college entrance and it's all I hear from about 9pm - 11pm on a Wednesday or Thursday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Grayson wrote: »
    Maynooth always has screaming. There's always some drunk student wandering around. I live near the college entrance and it's all I hear from about 9pm - 11pm on a Wednesday or Thursday night.

Moyglare is very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Unborn child? :(

Yeh it'll form part of the excuse for not imposing a custodial sentence. He'll have knocked up some poor young one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

She's local to me, myself and a few others used to hang around with her older sister. Very quiet girl, played football locally until about 2 years ago. She's in a very bad way and we've been told she will be lucky to recover mentally and probably never physically. Nothing was taken and she wasn't harmed sexually. The bus made several stops, one of which was in Monaghan town - before she was picked up in Blayney (and I think three stops after that). While it being someone on the bus is altogether likely, it certainly doesn't mean it was someone who regularly gets it (I used to get a private bus to college the odd time and I got it a few times to the same town after I finished college too) and it certainly doesn't mean she knew who did it.

At this stage, we're all just hoping she wakes up with some sort of quality of life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- For the love of Christ quit it with the frankly stupid and upsetting speculation. The young ladies family might be reading this and the last thing they need at a time like this is to read the utter crap that has been posted today. It ends here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    She's local to me, myself and a few others used to hang around with her older sister. Very quiet girl, played football locally until about 2 years ago. She's in a very bad way and we've been told she will be lucky to recover mentally and probably never physically. Nothing was taken and she wasn't harmed sexually. The bus made several stops, one of which was in Monaghan town - before she was picked up in Blayney (and I think three stops after that). While it being someone on the bus is altogether likely, it certainly doesn't mean it was someone who regularly gets it (I used to get a private bus to college the odd time and I got it a few times to the same town after I finished college too) and it certainly doesn't mean she knew who did it.

At this stage, we're all just hoping she wakes up with some sort of quality of life :(

Join you in that hope. It is beyond outrageous that a young life can be mangled in such a way. If the perpetrator(s) have been released/excused previous acts resignations from those who did so should be demanded. I hope things improve for her.

ken wrote: »
    Mod- For the love of Christ quit it with the frankly stupid and upsetting speculation. The young ladies family might be reading this and the last thing they need at a time like this is to read the utter crap that has been posted today. It ends here.

Totally agree. We have to many wannabe detectives who watch to much csi etc.

All that matters is that the kid is ok and the scum who did this is dealt with.

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote: »
    Moyglare is very quiet.

Moyglare aint so quiet anymore. Like all estates in maynooth it has issues with anti social behaviour by students. Although i have lived in maynoth for 27 years, moyglare for 20 and have never heard of anything like this happening. The moyglare isnt a road id want my kids walking up at 2 or 3 in the morning. But 20:30? Crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

How many previous convictions do you think the scumbag who did this has? 70, 80?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

sullivlo wrote: »
    Don't see why her gender is relevant to the story. It would be horrific for it to happen to anyone, regardless of their gender.

It was discussed at length on the radio yesterday. Local councillors were all over the story promising changes. Changes that they promised years ago when they were elected.

There's not a lot else to discuss. It's in the hands of the Gardai now, and hopefully incidents like this don't happen again.

From a man's point of view a story like this strikes at something primal since most men are hard wired to want to protect women.

Of course it's horrible reading about a man being beaten up, but for sure it doesn't have the same impact as reading about a young woman being attacked.

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    How many previous convictions do you think the scumbag who did this has? 70, 80?

We'll just wait and see.

I hope that we as a country stop seeing the need to link punishment as a deterrent for crime or a way to rehabilitate scum.

Keep them out of civilised society and caged with scum they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Absolutely frightful.

Gender doesn't make a difference to me. Physical stature is more of a concern in my opinion, and age if the victim is a child or very elderly. Not all guys are six foot beefcakes and not all girls are little slips. Nothing to do with political correctness (don't know where that came from - I thought feminists were deemed the politically correct ones?)

An horrific assault is an horrific assault is an horrific assault. I disagree with the notion that fellas can get on with things better than girls can - it's not healthy for either sex imo.

That said, some of the comments claiming it's worse if a female are just coming from well meaning chivalry - and there is the odd comment with not even a hint of concern about the attack and just goes straight for the "females get treated better than males" angle, which is a bit of a sh*t take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

OP assaults like this happen daily throughout Ireland, Without taking any compassion from the unfortunate victim ,Why are you so caught up on this particular one ? And without being funny if this is making you think of giving up on civilisation , Don't look at any of the news through out the day or ever.
    Brutal, inexplicable incidents such as this tend to provoke reactions in us of a far more visceral level than most crimes. The killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, for example, must still impact on many peoples minds and hearts, twenty years after her death. Let us all wish that this young woman makes as complete a recovery as possible in the difficult period that lies ahead of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

chicorytip wrote: »
    Brutal, inexplicable incidents such as this tend to provoke reactions in us of a far more visceral level than most crimes. The killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, for example, must still impact on many peoples minds and hearts, twenty years after her death. Let us all wish that this young woman makes as complete a recovery as possible in the difficult period that lies ahead of her.

Thats a very good comparison actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Really horrific crime. I think what makes crimes like this stand out is their random nature and the grotesque violence. It's difficult for normal people to wrap their heads around the idea that there are psychopaths in the world that are capable of carrying out acts of extreme violence like it's nothing.

Some people are just plain bad, even though they might have had a nice upbringing and all the advantages life could offer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ann22 wrote: »
    I have to say I completely agree. It seems few people on here can make a comment about this horrific incident without someone or other jumping in to nitpick about sexism and suchlike...
    or why certain cars were mentioned. This is a common thing on Boards. People lose the reason for the thread on petty squabbles that lead to pages long arguments... Jesus Christ lads!.... people are upset and concerned. Especially those with family away from home and at college. Can folk not have a bit of a rant without being afraid to say the wrong thing?! Sickens my arse that kind of ****e. People are chatting not making a sworn, signed, hand on the bible legal statement that has to be read over a hundred times to make sure it's politically correct.
    "Sickens my arse". Ah haven't heard that phrase in ages, it's a classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Read a story this morning about 2 lads who stabbed another young lad a load of times in the back and head and they both got suspended sentences. Really it makes me despair. What world are the judges living in? If there is no punishment for such a violent crime what on earth would make them stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Really horrific crime. I think what makes crimes like this stand out is their random nature and the grotesque violence. It's difficult for normal people to wrap their heads around the idea that there are psychopaths in the world that are capable of carrying out acts of extreme violence like it's nothing.

Some people are just plain bad, even though they might have had a nice upbringing and all the advantages life could offer them.

Like this creature http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2016/11/22/life-sentence-for-horrific-murder/

who could be seen roaming the streets of Enniscorthy for years - when he wasn't in prison. There are certain people who should be kept permanently out of circulation.

pilly wrote: »
    Read a story this morning about 2 lads who stabbed another young lad a load of times in the back and head and they both got suspended sentences. Really it makes me despair. What world are the judges living in? If there is no punishment for such a violent crime what on earth would make them stop?

But listen, What were the mitigating factors? Did they not get the toy out of the cornflakes when they were kids?

Were they drug takers?

Did they have a tough life?

F**k them. An eye for an eye.

But listen, What were the mitigating factors? Did they not get the toy out of the cornflakes when they were kids?

Were they drug takers?

Did they have a tough life?

F**k them. An eye for an eye.

Didn't actually seem to be any mitigating factors except for their age and the fact that they were "sorry". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

thelad95 wrote: »
    I know Maynooth very well and what's strange is that the estate it happened in is very quite, mostly full of young families who keep to themselves, it's a relatively new development.

However, it's also quite close (pretty much adjacent too) the Universitys student accommodation and many students living in that accommodation often have friends visit from home who are shall we say not so civilised.

Of course I'm speculating but there is a really rough estate in maynooth called Old Greenfield where you'd nearly expect this to happen, the Moyglare road area is really very peaceful, so it's deeply shocked a lot of residents and understandably the student community are now terrified as well as many many students would walk home alone on that road.

lol@Old Greenfield being really rough.
    I think that is a little exaggerated;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have not read through all the pages yet.
    I live in Maynooth, we moved here when we had our 1st child as it is a lovely place for them to grow up.
    I happily walk around the town at any time of the day or night and never feel threatened or in danger,generally it is a lovely town.
    I don't think anyone will feel safe until we know the full story,was it a crazy random attack?did they know each other?
    There is a feel of unease around the college and in they are doing all that they can to help.
    I suppose it has just left the whole town and all the students in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Attacker may have followed Maynooth student from bus - gardaí confirm

What the f**k kind of headline is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

Maynooth students warned not to walk alone after vicious attack.

The warning said: “The University continuously works towards providing a safe environment for our community, but all on campus must also take personal responsibility for their own safety and belongings.

“Avoid isolating yourself by using a buddy system of walking in groups, or at the least in pairs and staying on the main road in well lit areas when dark.
    “Avoid being alone and keep a working mobile within reach in case an emergency arises.
    “Pay attention to what is going on around you and avoid blocking sounds or using distraction devices such as mobile phones.
    “Your ears and eyes are your best defense to being taken by surprise
    “If you think you are being followed, either on foot or by car, do not ignore the thought. Go to a safe environment.
    “If you feel you are in immediate danger run, scream, honk your horn, flash your lights — make a scene.”

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSobz4dIveyquO5Mrn-BDWYjumDPWDwB6UCA8q38qL8efzffNhkYQ
    I'd add a simple whistle to the list above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Del.Monte wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/additional-garda-resources-urged-in-wake-of-maynooth-assault-1.2876431

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this or have I missed it? The mainstream media are already moving on to other things and the incident will soon disappear into the archives.

This should be front page stuff on newspapers, TV and radio until the thugs involved are arrested and brought before the courts. The Gardai should throw everything they have at it and I mean everything. Anybody else think that this sort of incident no longer gets the response that it needs or should we just give up on civilisation? :mad:

This happens everyday to 18 year old lads. Would somebody ever do something!!!!!!

I can happily report that my 18 year old daughter went off to maynooth a few years ago and except for the boy that now follows her around everywhere, she came back unmolested.

This is equality in action. Person beaten, nobody cares. Great innit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement