Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

FortySeven wrote: »
    This happens everyday to 18 year old lads. Would somebody ever do something!!!!!!

I can happily report that my 18 year old daughter went off to maynooth a few years ago and except for the boy that now follows her around everywhere, she came back unmolested.

This is equality in action. Person beaten, nobody cares. Great innit?

Why must you turn it in to a gender issue? :(

My heart breaks for that poor girl. Many of us were once embarking on a new life in college and the excitement it held. Kym no doubt had lots of plans for her time in Maynooth and her future. Now that experience has been destroyed for her. I wish her and her family all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 citeog90

Anyone know if there's any validity to this story? A Maynooth Vigilante group? I can't post links as I'm a new user but it's on Dublin Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Because we don't see a 23 page thread every time a lad is beaten in Ireland?

Because feminism has become so ingrained in our lives as an equality movement until it doesn't suit women to be equal.

Because I've been on the hard end of both beatings and feminist policy.

That's why. The girl has my sympathy. NOBODY deserves this welcome to adulthood.

Because feminism has become so ingrained in our lives as an equality movement until it doesn't suit women to be equal.

That's why. The girl has my sympathy. NOBODY deserves this welcome to adulthood.

Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

You clearly didn't actually bother your hole to read the thread. You just jumped straight up on your soapbox.

Your poor daughter, I wonder if she knows her father has such a chip on his shoulder about her gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My heart breaks for that poor girl. Many of us were once embarking on a new life in college and the excitement it held. Kym no doubt had lots of plans for her time in Maynooth and her future. Now that experience has been destroyed for her. I wish her and her family all the best.
    I know too well that there would be barely a report in the news if I were walking home in Maynooth at night and was attacked. There was only a few posts in the D15 forum about a tragic fatality at Coolmine train station last week. Why's that? The reaction to this is much greater than any number of IMO greater tragedies and violent crimes in Ireland.

I do think it's a disgrace that Maynooth has a part-time Garda station though.

I know too well that there would be barely a report in the news if I were walking home in Maynooth at night and was attacked. There was only a few posts in the D15 forum about a tragic fatality at Coolmine train station last week. Why's that? The reaction to this is much greater than any number of IMO greater tragedies and violent crimes in Ireland.

I do think it's a disgrace that Maynooth has a part-time Garda station though.

Did you read the thread?

Most people here have said gender should not matter.

In fact from what I recall, the ones saying it did matter were men.

The most thanked post in the thread is by a woman saying the victim's gender is irrelevant.

I know that information doesn't suit FortySeven's crusade but why let the facts get in the way eh?

Did you read the thread?

Most people here have said gender should not matter.

In fact from what I recall, the ones saying it did matter were men.

The most thanked post in the thread is by a woman saying the victim's gender is irrelevant.

I know that information doesn't suit FortySeven's crusade but why let the facts get in the way eh?

Sigh.

Sigh.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jesus f*cking Christ. It's funny because one thing I've seen feminists consistently accused of is perpetual victimhood. That *several* people can comment "WHAT ABOUT THE MEN??" on this case is just beyond parody and actually pretty disgusting. There's a teenager lying in hospital because she was beaten to an inch of her life lads. Take a look at yourselves.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Apologies. I mixed your response with that of persepoly.

We can all say that gender doesn't matter but actions speak louder than words and I am yet to see ANY response to a male being attacked in similar circumstances on boards. I've never seen a media outcry of such magnitude after a male is attacked in similar circumstances. I've never seen a Garda, political, university response when a male is attacked in similar circumstances.

Clearly, gender IS important and equality is a cruel joke on men everywhere.

I do feel a bit sleazy pointing it out at the expense of this poor girls suffering but so be it. Feminist lies are almost fully flowered and any bud left to be nipped is rapidly diminishing.

The gloves have to come off at some point to counter the hypocrisy men have to endure. This kind of attack is daily bread and butter for men.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Jesus f*cking Christ. It's funny because one thing I've seen feminists consistently accused of is perpetual victimhood. That *several* people can comment "WHAT ABOUT THE MEN??" on this case is just beyond parody and actually pretty disgusting. There's a teenager lying in hospital because she was beaten to an inch of her life lads. Take a look at yourselves.

It's not about victimhood. It's about double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's not about victimhood. It's about double standards.

It's actually not about anything apart from a horrific assault which has left a teenager unable to speak almost a week on. Are you seriously trying to suggest that an 18 year old male student, walking home to his digs and beaten to within an inch of his life in an unprovoked attack would go unremarked on? If it was your daughter would you appreciate people going on about the "double standards"? I'll say it again, to use this case to push your agenda is nothing short of disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We can all say that gender doesn't matter but actions speak louder than words and I am yet to see ANY response to a male being attacked in similar circumstances on boards. I've never seen a media outcry of such magnitude after a male is attacked in similar circumstances. I've never seen a Garda, political, university response when a male is attacked in similar circumstances.

I do feel a bit sleazy pointing it out at the expense of this poor girls suffering but so be it. Feminist lies are almost fully flowered and any bud left to be nipped is rapidly diminishing.

The gloves have to come off at some point to counter the hypocrisy men have to endure. This kind of attack is daily bread and butter for men.

There really are no words for how disgusting your mindset is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Equality has got completely screwed if it dilutes the empathy we have for a person getting attacked and seriously injured and instead conjures up a debate about whether a man would get the same sympathies. That is NOT what equality is about. Something sh*tty happening to a person and the detail of the injuries about fractured eye sockets is horrific regardless of the gender of the victim. So what if there's attention focused on it and a thead about it. It was an awful thing to happen. To try and turn it into a Sexist war is absolutely disgraceful.

Also...I have 2 brothers, a dad and a husband. None of whom have been beaten up. I know of no person who has been beaten up like this. I know of no one where this kind of attack is bread and butter, male or female

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

First point, everything you wrote is trash.

Secondly, even in a post filled with rubbish, that's an unfortunate choice of words.

Dolbert wrote: »
    It's actually not about anything apart from a horrific assault which has left a teenager unable to speak almost a week on. Are you seriously trying to suggest that an 18 year old male student, walking home to his digs and beaten to within an inch of his life in an unprovoked attack would go unremarked on? If it was your daughter would you appreciate people going on about the "double standards"? I'll say it again, to use this case to push your agenda is nothing short of disgusting.

There is a search function at the top of the page. If you can find me a 'remarked upon' male equivalent outcry here on boards then I will actively promote feminist views for a whole year.

I don't have an agenda, I'm fighting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

There is a search function at the top of the page. If you can find me a 'remarked upon' male equivalent outcry here on boards then I will actively promote feminist views for a whole year.

Why do you think she would want you to promote feminist views for a year? :confused:

I think your attitude is horrible and I detest feminism. Do you have that mindset of "objects to **** attitudes towards women - must be a feminist"?

Flimpson wrote: »
    Why do you think she would want you to promote feminist views for a year? :confused:

I think your attitude is horrible and I detest feminism. Do you have that mindset of "objects to **** attitudes towards women - must be a feminist"?

It is the worst form of punishment I could imagine for myself should I be proven wrong. (I note I haven't been yet)

My argument may be detestable, perhaps even horrible but I'm afraid these nomenclatures of horror still do not change the fact that what I have said is true. Uncomfortable as that is. I don't apologise.

I don't like peas. It doesn't mean peas don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It is the worst form of punishment I could imagine for myself should I be proven wrong. (I note I haven't been yet)

My argument may be detestable, perhaps even horrible but I'm afraid these nomenclatures of horror still do not change the fact that what I have said is true. Uncomfortable as that is. I don't apologise.

I don't like peas. It doesn't mean peas don't exist.

As an above poster said its nothing to do with feminism. If men being attacked is taken less seriously that's a cultural view that was around long before feminism. I REALLY hope this doesn't turn into another thread on feminism.

• Advertisement

This isn't a thread for the discussion of feminism and gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

There's a time and a place and IMO this is not it.

In the society in which we live there is no doubt that it is more shocking for this to happen to a female than a male.
    Whether that is some sort of discrimination or not or whatever I don't think there's much room for debate on whether or not that's how things currently stand. If you want to rant and rave here and police the Internet so people who are shocked by this can't comment... you're pi$$ing against the wind tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

So much for the attempted Moderationon this thread. It has rapidly descended into people liking their own voices.

This isn't a thread for the discussion of feminism and gender.

I agree on feminism. It is however a perfect platform to highlight the double standards surrounding violent assaults in Ireland.

If this was just another violent assault we would not be discussing it. Clearly the gender of the victim has relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Some of the headlines in the red tops are a BS.

"maynooth in Lockdown"

"People in fear as Brute at large"

What a loda crap.

Students didn't seem to bothered last night at around 23:00 falling up and down the Moyglare road and main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I agree on feminism. It is however a perfect platform to highlight the double standards surrounding violent assaults in Ireland.

If this was just another violent assault we would not be discussing it. Clearly the gender of the victim has relevance?

Guido Nasi, fairview park, 1999. Shocked a nation. 18 year old male. Dominated the media for a long time. Still discussed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

I think whats relevant is there is a poor child in a critical condition in hospital. Is there any update on her condition? This is not about gender or feminism ffs, make a new thread for general disscussions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well this thread has gone to sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Guido Nasi, fairview park, 1999. Shocked a nation. 18 year old male. Dominated the media for a long time. Still discussed today.

I often think of that,it was horrific too,he was on the Late late show also.He was lucky to be alive .A lovely lad left shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

snowbabe wrote: »
    I often think of that,it was horrific too,he was on the Late late show too.He was lucky to be alive .A lovely lad too .

Scumbag who done that got 8.5 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement