Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabyGM146

mfceiling wrote: »
    What was today's one? I think this series is over now already.

Without saying too much in detail so I don't spoil it for anyone, Jeremy and Richard both build vehicles, but not nonsense like the mud and bone off roaders, James drives the NSX (very good segment IMO), and the three look at 'innovative' ways to generate electricity and try to power an electric car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Like it or not, it's getting good reviews in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This episode was probably the best yet. Still not great but at least somewhat closer to what they used to do. I think maybe it's because there was less shít in the tent.

Quazzie wrote: »
    This episode was probably the best yet. Still not great but at least somewhat closer to what they used to do. I think maybe it's because there was less shít in the tent.

Definitely closer to the Top Gear of old.

Probably as close as it will ever get.

Great episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Think about the episodes in 2002/03 were they good? No they weren't great imo. So the first of these new ones are the same. Well get in on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Special comments aside, I really enjoyed it (Episode 9, Stuggart) and it was far, far closer to the magic recipe that I felt made TG work. Quick intro, jump straight into an interesting car review, snappy 'news' section and back to a film. The last bit about preppers, whilst a stretch in parts, was fun and didn't feel as painfully scripted.

I think they need to realise they are not funny for any extended period on their own so the tent segments just don't work. It worked in TG as you had a different star in a car to break up the show, have some fun and bring a competitive spirit to it. There is no doubt they are funny, but they are punchline funny, not funny over the course of 5 to 10 mins of solid, scripted predictable jokes.

I'm curious as to when Stuggart and its associated films were filmed in the grand scheme of things as they felt far more mature.

One thing that always disappointed me about TG and it seems I'm destined to be disappointed about it in GT. Why do they have the cars do laps when the track is wet. They've a full year, and it's the biggest car program on the planet. Surely they can dictate that they hold onto the cars for an extra day or so till they get a dry track and give a fair time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

This week's was decent alright. Getting closer to a good format again. Still need to ditch 'The American' as he is painful and the communist joke is not funny. James's NSX review was good, as was Clarkson's mash-up car.

The wet track thing must be a scheduling issue as others dry when they filmed the review, but wet for the lap. Different day? Only time the Yank was available?

TrailerBob wrote: »
    This week's was decent alright. Getting closer to a good format again. Still need to ditch 'The American' as he is painful and the communist joke is not funny. James's NSX review was good, as was Clarkson's mash-up car.

The wet track thing must be a scheduling issue as others dry when they filmed the review, but wet for the lap. Different day? Only time the Yank was available?

He's the lease important part of the mix. Hopefully his appearances on the show aren't long for this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Very good entertaining episode I thought. I'm delighted they are doing a proper season and not 6 episodes and that's that for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

He's the lease important part of the mix. Hopefully his appearances on the show aren't long for this world.
    TrailerBob wrote: »
    Agreed. They really need to get rid of the Yank. He's even worse than the Celebrity Brainsmash segment.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

The Only parts that I can see that have worked are segments James may has done and only 2 of them FORD GT and Honda NSX.
    The other segments I feel get ruined when the other 2 get involved.

Agree "The American" needs to go , It's simply not funny . Not questioning his driving ability , It would be better if he actually discussed what the car was like driving or what he does or doesn't like. and how he has to adjust to get the most out of it.

I'm still going to watch , The ability to fast forward allows me to at least get some Auto entertainment from it. Chewing Gum TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Was surprised at the Double Decker outcome. Would've thought the Flake would've won out.

How much did that destroyer missile sequence cost???!!!

How much did that destroyer missile sequence cost???!!!

I remember reading a few years back that the UK Army / MoD pretty much allowed them film for free as it was great for recruitment. When you think about it, they've done an awful lot of sequences that would appeal to the average male, aged 16 to 25, and portray the defense forces in a very good light.

Cost wise, it wouldn't have been much at all. Tank crew for an afternoon and a tour of a ship docked in Plymouth some other afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

OSI wrote: »
    The only conclusion I can come to on "The American" is that he's a deliberately **** choice on the part of the trio. I can see Amazon "requiring" they add an American to help appeal to the homeland, and either they couldn't get the one they wanted, or decided to be contrary and got someone they knew would be badly received in the hopes that either Amazon drops the requirement or the one they really do want becomes available.

LOL.

I am pretty sure the overlords wanted an American on the show. So, aligned with the British humour, they got The American - a stereotypical Yank.

I would not read to much into it, pretty sure it wasn't a play to hire someone that would be badly received. IMHO it was a genuine effort, but it just wasn't as funny as they hoped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Curiously, over on some of the more redneck American sites I frequent (like firearms sites etc), the opinion is the exact reverse. They don't like "The American" (Even though they like Mike Skinner) and believe that the only reason the shtick is in the show is to appeal to foreign audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jesus Jezza is after putting on a serious amount of weight for a homeless person. And he sort of looks sick, reminds me of this:
    TR02.jpg

Cant believe they didnt do something good while based around Porsche and Mercedes in Stuttgart.

Dont think I'll bother watching anymore. They have gone mad with the money they have and there's no point anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

They need to get rid of the fat American for next season. It's got old real fast.
    Same with the Celebrity Braincrash shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mc Love wrote: »
    Jesus Jezza is after putting on a serious amount of weight for a homeless person. And he sort of looks sick, reminds me of this:
    TR02.jpg

Cant believe they didnt do something good while based around Porsche and Mercedes in Stuttgart.

Dont think I'll bother watching anymore. They have gone mad with the money they have and there's no point anymore.

I think alco any time I see him lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Watched the first twenty minutes of the first Grand tour and stopped. It's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I thought the Alfa Giulia review was spectacular. But then, I am biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

catbear wrote:
    Watched the first twenty minutes of the first Grand tour and stopped. It's over.

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Good thing you gave it a chance

Kinna getting bored of it myself, not keeping up with it at all

Just fast forwarded most of the last episode.

Absolute tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I found it horribly scripted as well.. I know they need to try and capture the top gear camaraderie but it comes across very scripted here.
    Hopefully in season 2 they learn from their mistakes and dump some of the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The NSX review was decent. I'd love one!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Good thing you gave it a chance :rolleyes:
    It was enough to know that the humour had been gutted out of it for a yank audience.

Half the joke of the old TG was that it had been a boring motor show that got hijacked by politically incorrect presenters expressing their incredulous exasperation about how britain doesn't make cars anymore and the cars made in the UK are foreign owned.

You can't repackage that for an american audience who think their crap cars are actually good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mycroft H wrote: »
    The NSX review was decent. I'd love one!
    Much prefer the older one TBH M. In R form of course. Though I have a strong feeling that the new one will sell as well as the old. That is, not very.

The original was a real game changer in the "exotic" segment. It showed the Italians that you could make an exotic mid engined supercar* that didn't crap it's oil and/or gearbox on the road after ten thousand miles and was just as good as a Ferrari and just as reliable as a Civic and cheaper with it. They've really gained in value since. Often cheaper than equivalent age model Ferraris.

IMH the new one is no game changer and too pricey for the badge snobs. I love Honda's but if I was in that market bracket I'd probably go for the Audi TBH. From what I've been reading Ferraris have gone back to the "not very reliable" mode after a brief period where they were pretty good on that score.

*though in non R form it was more a fast grand tourer in many ways. Quite soft of spring and ride. Though by owners accounts the R is more a track car than a daily driver.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I agree with you Wibbs, the older one is still a cool machine even by today's standards. It's a very niche car and compared to the likes of the Audi R8/Merc AMG GT, it just doesn't have that appeal to the masses that those badges hold. It won't be seen outside chelsea football club. So, yea, it'll probably sell in small numbers to enthusiasts with fond memories of the old one.

I'm however well impressed by the adaptive electric motors; technology from cars many time more expensive and despite the weight of those motors, it still handles remarkably well for quite a heavy car.

And who knows. Perhaps there's an NSX Type R in the works. That'd be exciting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mycroft H wrote: »
    And who knows. Perhaps there's an NSX Type R in the works. That'd be exciting.
    From your lips to God's Honda's ears. If nothing else as a halo car. Then again the original R vision followed Colin Chapman's mantra of "simplify and add lightness", which the 90's ones did across the model range. That's harder to do these days I suspect. All that incredible tech you mentioned is complex and "heavy" and I'm not so sure how they can reduce both the complexity and the weight. I reckon a new NSX R will be more about upping the engine power and tweaking the computers than how it was done "in the old days". And funkier graphics and less bits and bobs in the cabin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just fast forwarded most of the last episode.

Absolute tripe

What are you expecting of you aren't taking in any of the content?

Just watched it.

Twas grand, light entertainment.

And that's what it is 61min of light entertainment.

I'm looking forward to next week... And future series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

If it was on rte 2 in the evening at 8 and it was starting just as we walked Into the room and said we would stay on this channel I think more people would call it great. I think its the fact that we demand so much from it and don't know what we want is what makes us all hate it, (excluding me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Alfa review was enjoyable. The coral reef, playing the idiot thing was forgettable though.

I keep watching because I want it to be good, I keep giving it a chance but it's not word the subscription to Amazon.

Anybody know if the studio (tent) bits are being filmed as we go the way the Top Gear studio parts were filmed as in they were filmed very close to if not the week they were screened?

Anybody know if the studio (tent) bits are being filmed as we go the way the Top Gear studio parts were filmed as in they were filmed very close to if not the week they were screened?

No, they are wrapped for this season. They weren't shot in order either.

3 more shows, 20th Jan, 27th jan, 3rd Feb.

then we can bitch about Top Gear on the Beeb :D

• Advertisement

It's scripted to death in fairness,everything needs to be "funny". Also if I see another supercar I'll puke.

el diablo wrote: »
    Perhaps you need to stop watching shows about cars if you don't want to see supercars. :rolleyes:

I've stopped watching that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kneemos wrote: »
    It's scripted to death in fairness,everything needs to be "funny". Also if I see another supercar I'll puke.

Why is "scripted" a bad thing? If they were unprepared and went to wing it, I'd expect they'd miss a lot of marks and it'll just seem disjointed.

Why is "scripted" a bad thing? If they were unprepared and went to wing it, I'd expect they'd miss a lot of marks and it'll just seem disjointed.

I think the problem is that its so obvious. A crane? Yeah, cars going to fall. Old boat? Yeah, going to sink. Untie a knot on a raft? Yeah, going to disintegrate. Its so far fetched its not funny especially as we know that in real life they are 3 very intelligent guys. They used be funny, in a subtle and clever way. Its now just a case of parading the joke out so a man on a galloping horse could see it. Part of me feels this is due to a new audience who wouldn't get the distinct British-esque humour?

This week they again proved they are not funny for long segments in the tent. The opening conversation about music went on for far, far too long. Conversation St was literally filler between the films. And I use plural lightly there. In a 60 min program, there was about 10 mins of actually driving a car. One review. One!

Part of me hopes they are monitoring the online and offline chatter to create a better, more consistent show for season 2.

ironclaw wrote: »
    They used be funny, in a subtle and clever way. Its now just a case of parading the joke out so a man on a galloping horse could see it. Part of me feels this is due to a new audience who wouldn't get the distinct British-esque humour?
    That's it, they're signaling.

I think Dylan Moran said it best
    Some people are just thick, but you put up with them, but Americans are annoying when they’re thick, because they say, well, you know, if they’re talking about one of those terrible incidents that happen every other day in America, they say, well, you know, I was there and the guy came in and he had like a gun, you know, and he was like shooting, and everybody else was totally dead. And you just – and it sounds a little divorced from reality somehow.

Now the problem is the three amigos of the grand tour can't really rip into their studio audience the same way they could at home in britain. Instead it's all very sedate, safe, arms length sanitized safe humour. You have to because someone in their studio audience might actually shoot them.

• Advertisement

Only watched a few episodes and the next line was predictable. Sounded like drones most of the time,and what's with the same crap jokes over and over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm as patient and easy going as they come but one car segment in a 60 minute show just isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

After a promising start it has become a very tedious pantomime. Can hardly remember them reviewing any cars. Won't be going out of my way to watch any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liked the Alfa review and laughed when May dropped the car on the boat, and JC and RH had to abandon ship. But that was it. Rest of it was poor.

It really took the biscuit though when May decided to roll up a beach full of people in a construction vehicle. I'd be rightly pissed off if I had been there.

After a promising start it has become a very tedious pantomime. Can hardly remember them reviewing any cars. Won't be going out of my way to watch any more.

Because it's for an international audience they can't really review a car unless it's another supercar. They don't come out every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kneemos wrote: »
    Because it's for an international audience they can't really review a car unless it's another supercar. They don't come out every week.

That's just looking for an excuse. One is entitled to an opinion regardless being international or not... I don't enjoy it, I don't watch it anymore.

And there is enough cars around to be reviewed...

They could do a gig and compare a Holden, Opel and Buick and tell us that Vauxhall is still the best.

They could test small hot hatches (Fiesta, Corsa, 208, Clio, Ibiza), bigger ones (Megane, 308, Golf, Octavia, Leon, Focus, A-classe etc, Civic) - some are always recognisable somewhere.

Compare American and European trucks and do some challenges in them... They could do hybrid wars...
    They could do some sort of EV competition - they get an energy allowance and could use it either to drive, to cook etc...

So many interesting things they could do - instead they are wasting my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

grogi wrote: »

That's a bit rich. Its your choice whether you watch it or not. No one is wasting your time but you.

grogi wrote: »
    That's just looking for an excuse. One is entitled to an opinion regardless being international or not... I don't enjoy it, I don't watch it anymore.

And there is enough cars around to be reviewed...

They could do a gig and compare a Holden, Opel and Buick and tell us that Vauxhall is still the best.

They could test small hot hatches (Fiesta, Corsa, 208, Clio, Ibiza), bigger ones (Megane, 308, Golf, Octavia, Leon, Focus, A-classe etc, Civic) - some are always recognisable somewhere.

Compare American and European trucks and do some challenges in them... They could do hybrid wars...
    They could do some sort of EV competition - they get an energy allowance and could use it either to drive, to cook etc...

Wasn't an excuse,I don't watch it.
    Totally agree there's loads of car related stuff they could do rather than fart around trying to read the autocue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Watched the most recent episode with the Coral Reef mission and the Alfa Giulia.

Thoughts are that it was actually very good! Much better than other episodes previously.

I have to comment on Clarkson though. I know it was an Alfa review so many will think I'm biased, but as far as car reviews go, he is still one of the best in the business.

When you watch his reviews, you get a feel for what a car is actually like to be in, what its like to experience. He doesn't give, frankly useless information about boot sizes and the number of cupholders for example. It's all about what a car is like to drive. It's hard to describe.

I know he is outspoken and yes his views are questionable at times, but for car reviews, he is absolutely brilliant, and this is something his co-presenters cannot match. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

166man wrote: »
    Watched the most recent episode with the Coral Reef mission and the Alfa Giulia.

Thoughts are that it was actually very good! Much better than other episodes previously.

I have to comment on Clarkson though. I know it was an Alfa review so many will think I'm biased, but as far as car reviews go, he is still one of the best in the business.

When you watch his reviews, you get a feel for what a car is actually like to be in, what its like to experience. He doesn't give, frankly useless information about boot sizes and the number of cupholders for example. It's all about what a car is like to drive. It's hard to describe.

I know he is outspoken and yes his views are questionable at times, but for car reviews, he is absolutely brilliant, and this is something his co-presenters cannot match. :cool:

exactly his review on the M4 GTS was really excellent...looking at all the other reviewers you'd swear it was the best BMW ever made and he basically took a big dump over it..I really wish they got back to more reviewing of cars..they'd still draw in the crowds with his reviewing.
    The only one who I rate as good as him is Chris Harris...

• Advertisement
Advertisement