Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭goochy

as a serious petrolhead but not a boy racer ever , I think its an entertainment show rather than car show.
    The fact that so many non car people watch it says it all, its not really about the cars - I have a good sense of humour but no interest in childish silly carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

goochy wrote: »
    as a serious petrolhead but not a boy racer ever , I think its an entertainment show rather than car show.
    The fact that so many non car people watch it says it all, its not really about the cars - I have a good sense of humour but no interest in childish silly carry on.

Even Clarkson is pulling the piss on people going on about it being a car show with his "On this weeks show about cars" and then show clips featuring no cars!

This, and the last TG before it has always been an entertainment show featuring cars rather than a car show.

I'm still trying to figure out how Amazon will make money out of this. First episode was the best but after that it's on a slow decline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

I'm still trying to figure out how Amazon will make money out of this. First episode was the best but after that it's on a slow decline.

They won't. It's a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They won't. It's a flop.

It is not a direct income, but just imagine how many Prime memberships they have sold for a year. And once one has Prime, he is more likely to actually do shop on Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

This show is like something Alan Partridge would buy on DVD at a petrol station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

This show is like something Alan Partridge would buy on DVD at a petrol station

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

more cars and less clowns please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Part of whats missing is there is no point to the challenge , for example the old ep from TG , buy a super car for 10k . yeah it was funny in places and interesting enough but showed you every horrible thing that could go wrong with buying old "super cars" .

TGT does the environmentally friendly car ep , there was no point to it all . it was funny for a min as you saw the cars come in but that was it the rest was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i've got the current episode paused about 40 minutes in and just can't be arsed going back to it. first couple of minutes had me going 'what the **** were they complaining about on boards' but it got worse and worse. Don't think I'll bother finishing it or even watching the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Joeface wrote: »
    Part of whats missing is there is no point to the challenge , for example the old ep from TG , buy a super car for 10k . yeah it was funny in places and interesting enough but showed you every horrible thing that could go wrong with buying old "super cars" .

Having a purpose, even if it is barely there does make a big difference to it alright, be it an amount of cash to spend or a particular type of car to buy, makes it more interesting
    TGT does the environmentally friendly car ep , there was no point to it all . it was funny for a min as you saw the cars come in but that was it the rest was terrible.

That has to have been one of the worst segments they have ever done
    I utterly despised it, mainly because James May was portrayed as being a total idiot which he isn't, I don't mind the bumbling idiot routine in small doses but it was turned up to 11 here

If it had continued like that I was going to stop watching thankfully the next episode was an improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

That has to have been one of the worst segments they have ever done
    I utterly despised it, mainly because James May was portrayed as being a total idiot which he isn't, I don't mind the bumbling idiot routine in small doses but it was turned up to 11 here

They do the same with Hammond "I don't know where Jordan is..."

They're a bunch of 50 odd year old, very successful multi-millionaire journalists. They don't need to pretend to be idiots to get a laugh,because it's just contrived nonsense.

Everything about it just screams "We've already got paid, we don't care and we're scraping the barrel", which is a shame because it could be so so great.

it's flanderization

and it's making the show a lot worse in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

pa990 wrote: »
    Tell me more.....

Quentin Wilson.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Quentin Wilson.

Quentin Wilson was awesome.

This one's hilarious:

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is a legend, he has that dry wit down to a T. I don' think the Americans would quite understand what he is all about though

There are lots of smart Americans, but I have to say, so many of them that you meet are so effin' thick. A bucket of rocks would outwit them.

They should revert TG back to QW era, and have him present it - that would be hilarious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

grogi wrote: »
    Did anyone ever question that?

Well, the guy I responded to certainly seemed to be at least skeptical, with the 'driving in circles' comment.

Although it's not our problem as the audience, I actually do have some sympathy with the GT lads. This is effectively, what, series 23 for them? Part of my job entails reviewing vehicles to camera. Between 15-45 minutes per vehicle. (OK, they're tanks, not cars, but still). In the world of tank reviews, I'm pretty popular, and part of the popularity lies in the occasional points of humour, because, face it, waffling on about the ergonomics of the controls, or ease of maintenance of the tracks is going to get boring without those humorous bits. How many ways can I say "The five speed transmission comes with a heavy clutch" or "visibility for the driver sucks" and still be interesting and entertaining? The problem is that there are only so many jokes or points of humour that the confined nature of 'vehicle reviews' will permit. I'm only some 30 vehicles in, and I'm already starting to worry about getting stale or repetitive.

That the TG/GT lads have done over 20 seasons and remained entertaining is, frankly, very impressive, even if done with a lot of money and external support. I honestly don't blame them for taking advantage of the opportunity of the reset to try some things entirely different, in the hope of starting a new line of options to keep the show fresh. I think they missed, in this case. But I also suspect that they had no choice as TG was liable to get stale soon even had they stayed with the BBC, unless they changed things up anyway.

Does this mean we are obliged to sit through unentertaining programming? No, of course not. Should they have simply sat in their millionaire retirement? No, I don't think they should have either. But I can understand their problem.

Well, the guy I responded to certainly seemed to be at least skeptical, with the 'driving in circles' comment.

Although it's not our problem as the audience, I actually do have some sympathy with the GT lads. This is effectively, what, series 23 for them? Part of my job entails reviewing vehicles to camera. Between 15-45 minutes per vehicle. (OK, they're tanks, not cars, but still). In the world of tank reviews, I'm pretty popular, and part of the popularity lies in the occasional points of humour, because, face it, waffling on about the ergonomics of the controls, or ease of maintenance of the tracks is going to get boring without those humorous bits. How many ways can I say "The five speed transmission comes with a heavy clutch" or "visibility for the driver sucks" and still be interesting and entertaining? The problem is that there are only so many jokes or points of humour that the confined nature of 'vehicle reviews' will permit. I'm only some 30 vehicles in, and I'm already starting to worry about getting stale or repetitive.

That the TG/GT lads have done over 20 seasons and remained entertaining is, frankly, very impressive, even if done with a lot of money and external support. I honestly don't blame them for taking advantage of the opportunity of the reset to try some things entirely different, in the hope of starting a new line of options to keep the show fresh. I think they missed, in this case. But I also suspect that they had no choice as TG was liable to get stale soon even had they stayed with the BBC, unless they changed things up anyway.

Does this mean we are obliged to sit through unentertaining programming? No, of course not. Should they have simply sat in their millionaire retirement? No, I don't think they should have either. But I can understand their problem.

...blow up some caravans....... if you need any more ideas just ask but they may all be recommendations to blow up more caravans with tanks or roll over them.. or maybe roll over them while blowing them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Conversation street is just waste of time shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Patww79 wrote: »

trhis week was good
    bodes welk for the specia\ls

Best episode in a while. Really enjoyed the Ford and mustang scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Watched the first episode last night and it all felt very stupid, the celebrities dying and so on, hoping the second episode turns it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Best episode in a while. Really enjoyed the Ford and mustang scenes

James piece at the end is the only piece I felt worth watching to be honest. They literally filled an entire hour with two films, one of which was 10 mins long and actually had some interesting content. The other was an advertisement for Ford, clearly directed at the American market. The rest of really unfunny, awkward 'chat'.

They should just host a chat show between themselves as its really getting too much the amount of talking they are doing between films. The gift segment, what was that about? :confused: Did they need to make the same joke three times with their catch phrases? The chocolate bar thing went on for way too long, perhaps an outtake YouTube clip but not actually part of the show. Between that and Conversation Street, they could have easily slotted in another motor film. Who's actually editing this? And where is the budget going because I can't see it any more? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

JamboMac wrote: »
    Watched the first episode last night and it all felt very stupid, the celebrities dying and so on, hoping the second episode turns it around.

Remember, it's a light entertainment show, not a car show.

pa990 wrote: »
    Remember, it's a light entertainment show, not a car show.

It used to be an entertainment show, now I'm not sure what it is. It's more heavily Jeremy clarkson and it just feels like the other 2 are there to fill a gap.

JamboMac wrote:

Second imo is the worst out of the 6 so far. So id skip it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The ford GT segment at the end was excellent, the best 15 mins of the new series only because it felt more like one of James mays spin off shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There's definitely more talking in GT. In TG, you had a short intro, then straight to a film. Then 'The News' and another film. Star in a car, then a film to finish. You had at least 3 to 4 films per episode (With at least two out of the three presenters being the center or soloist). Last GT had two in over an hour of programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gotta say I thought this bit was a little odd. I know the humour on top gear is not exactly PC, but eating ice cream makes you gay? That's just bizarre.

I still enjoy the films they make (May's this week was excellent) but pretty much everything they do in the tent is falling flat on its face. If they're going to script the entire thing they could at least write something funny? I will say I'm in the minority here and I enjoyed the assault course episode, although I was under the influence at the time so maybe that had something to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It seemed like the usual thing written into the show simply to generate a reaction on Twitter. Free PR for them.

May's going through the archives was indeed excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Enjoyed the GT40/Ferrari section. The Mustang/Focus section was a laugh too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I for one absolutely loved the Battleship bit! I do agree that not enough time is spent on the films anymore. There's also way too much reliance on the cliche versions of their personalities for humour; Clarkson as crass, Hammond as weak and May as old. Perhaps they benefited from the BBC's input. Also the "ice-cream is gay" thing was so obviously very annoying publicity rubbish. Can't believe the look papers are still going for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm a little(a lot) deflated with it.
    I was hoping for some TG driving trip special type content but it's all very scripted, clutching at straws of the old show kind of segments.

Forget celebs, don't even joke about it.
    Conversation street is grand but that intro is ****e.
    The trip with the Aston, Rolls and Mustang was the last section I watched and stud out as the best for me.

The ice cream joke is just strange, it has no backbone to even support it as a "joke". It just makes the writers look thick and homophobic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Pure shiote. Wouldn't be getting worked up over the ice cream statement.

Pure shiote. Wouldn't be getting worked up over the ice cream statement.

People are idiots. Getting worked up over absolutely everything. Pure stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

People are idiots. Getting worked up over absolutely everything. Pure stupid

Generation Snowflake. They actively seek to be offended/outraged. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

el diablo wrote: »
    Generation Snowflake. They actively seek to be offended/outraged. :rolleyes:

Generation snowflake. That's clever. Did you think of that by yourself?

How many here seem to be getting offended by people getting offended? It's equally as bad if not worse, I watched this in the hope it was more like the ones they had on the BBC, but their is something different with this show.

JamboMac wrote: »
    How many here seem to be getting offended by people getting offended? It's equally as bad if not worse, I watched this in the hope it was more like the ones they had on the BBC, but their is something different with this show.

Yeah,it's a pile of crap.

• Advertisement

The two and half episodes I've managed to suffer seem to have May in the background for some reason. He's the only interesting character.

Do any of ye like any bit of the show?, of course if I paid for a year membership I would probably be disapointed but seriously there have been some good scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There have been good scenes alright but the glory days are gone.
    I'm not paying for it though so...

Do any of ye like any bit of the show?, of course if I paid for a year membership I would probably be disapointed but seriously there have been some good scenes

Pay for tv, that's long since gone.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It's pure awful, thankfully I'm not paying either. They need to do something radical to improve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement