Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Biglad wrote: »
    I noticed the audio issue as well. Found that hitting the rewind button once it put the audio back in synch. I'm watching it on an Amazon box.

I'm watching it on kodi, with Specto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'm watching it on kodi, with Specto.

Depending on your player, try this. LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Episode 1 took me the running time of the show to watch, episode 2 and 3 took around 5 minutes, Episode 4 back up to around 17 minutes to watch.

After a promising start it's been mostly skip, yawn, skip , yawn , skip.

Oh look Clarkson compared a 911 to a beetle..... Oh look they built their own cars wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Patrick_Swayze

Was really looking forward to TGT and said I'd wait until i was a few episodes in to give my thoughts
    Overall found it quite poor and would actually consider the new Top Gear better
    As some said it's very scripted with a lot of cheesey jokes clearly trying to aim at the american audience   
    The whole celebrity brain crash thing where they keep dying en route all the time is just tiresome and got old after the first time- the charade with the two lads acting stupid is ridiculously annoying
    The american driver in the timed laps is just annoying - I know they couldn't get the Stig but they could've gotten a former F1 driver who just does good laps and doesn't try be funny by making stupid comments about how the car is ****e because it's not american etc and not someone who drives around in circles in NASCAR
    Too much interaction with the audience in my opinion such as the whole RAF vs US thing
    The latest episode was decent when they started doing a challenge by creating the cars and racing each other etc
    Also I do like the new track built in the countryside which is life-like in ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that's my thoughts on the celebrity thing too, they could have done it once or twice to kill off the celebrity section but no doubt soon they will have someone die.. and then crawl into the studio covered in soot and fake blood and creep back into having **** chats with people to promote their new book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Quazzie wrote: »
    Depending on your player, try this. LINK

That's pretty much what I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently it's the most illegally downloaded show ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No more discussion on how to get this illegally in Kodi please

It is not illegal as long as you don't share the content.

It might be immoral and wrong, but not illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

to get away from the whole download discussion, anyone else think they should scrap the celeb getting killed part for another car related clip. They need to put more focus on the cars and not been funny and repeating same style over each week, especially when its too predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

all thanks to this thread giving detailed instructions on how to resync the sound lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Fireball14013

Haven't watched the third episode yet, can't believe they're still killing off celebrities, that gag should have been left at the first episode.
    First one was good, second was terrible. Worst episode of any car related Top Gear or anything I've seen. It was always scripted, but before you sensed it was a guideline script rather than word for word, but now it feels like 3 terrible actors with poor gags written for them line by line.
    The army bit had about 10 seconds of mild amusement in the whole 40 minute waste of time segment, the track is crap, the american is not funny, the celebrity bit is silly. I'll watch the season out to see if it picks up, but for me, Top Gear will be the new show now that Rory, Matt and Chris H are the main boys. That show has much less to change to make it good. The Grand Tour has too much wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

For anyone not yet signed up, Amazon offering 6 month reduced sub to PrimeVideo for €2.99 /month.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057682021

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

to get away from the whole download discussion, anyone else think they should scrap the celeb getting killed part for another car related clip. They need to put more focus on the cars and not been funny and repeating same style over each week, especially when its too predictable

But the latest was a Carr clip... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

bear1 wrote: »
    I think people are taking the show too seriously.
    I'm glad they are back but I want them to get rid of the American talking **** and that track needs to be changed.
    We need to remember though that it's the first season and they will then see at the end what works and what doesn't.
    The 2nd episode was utter crap but the rest I've enjoyed.
    4th made me think of them on top gear and I liked it so it's a good episode in my books.
    Prefer this than the new top gear.

Agreed 100%, then again, this is the internet - it's not the people who are happy with something who come here, it's the ones unhappy that go out to vent their frustration.

Anything on TV (or streaming media, same crud now) is entertainment geared to the masses. If they wanted to make a car show "through and through", they'd be reviewing Skoda Fabias and Dacia Sanderos based on their ability to negotiate a Tesco car park and diesel fuel consumption...exciting times.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Agreed 100%, then again, this is the internet - it's not the people who are happy with something who come here, it's the ones unhappy that go out to vent their frustration.

But The Grand Tour is not entertaining. I more often felt embarrassed and bored than entertained...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Thought episode 4 was hilarious! Wasn't much about cars in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Thought episode 4 was hilarious! Wasn't much about cars in it though.

+1 I was in knots laughing at James May's cars falling apart! I've enjoyed all of them except for episode 2. When they had to complete the war zone thing without dying was miles too long and just crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

grogi wrote: »
    But The Grand Tour is not entertaining. I more often felt embarrassed and bored than entertained...

Why would you feel embarrassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Been watching Clarkson for my whole life basically, a gifted televison presenter, perhaps even the best.

Look at meet the neighbours, or the docos he did on Operation Market Garden his father in law and the Victoria Cross and also the Raid on St Nazaire, or inventions that changed the world etc.

Just great TV

Loved old Top gear, loved new Top gear, but it's run out of puff.

May is good, consistently, also makes good TV, very likeable, but Hammond is terrible, and they are all now just phoning it in for the last 7 or 8 years. You can hardly blame them for taking the money, but **** they haven't made one change to the stale TG format they left.

Even with the massive budget. What have they been doing the last 2 years?

I was hoping when I saw the name that it would be more about them burning around, doing a proper grand tour, but it's not, they are just moving the top gear studio around, they aren't even doing the pieces each week from the location they are in.

Just bland. In many ways its worse that BBC Top gear, the format is broken, any show that goes on that long just runs out of Ideas.

Bring back Tiff and his second hand cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No more discussion on how to get this illegally in Kodi please

Nicely done good sir!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Episode 5 seems to have audio off by exactly 0.5sec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Would be lying if I said I wasnt enjoying the car crash that is TGT. JC is a bully arsehole and does not deserve success.

It was good up until about 2005 and then...

But the new show is truly excruciating. And after so much hype and anticipation. Coulndt have happened to a nicer arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd tend to agree in a different light HandsomeDan. I watched EP5 last night and it just didn't go anywhere. They actually damaged the MX5 and that whole 'test' was just filler, it didn't even reach a conclusion. The last segment of that test was interesting in the sense of the movie sets but again, the whole 'Hammond is stupid' was just grating. He's not, and neither is May. Why do they need to have characters? The Battleship bit was fun I must admit but again, instantly forgettable.

As time wears on, I've realised their just doing TG with a larger budget, actually less content overall, and at key points making jibes at what they can't do because of the BBC. They're doing nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

IMO this show is poor..very poor, it's not even coming over as scripted spontaneous any more, the segment where Clarkson appeared in the white jacket appeared off the cuff but overall I'd agree with others , it's just poor Top Gear with a bigger budget in fact for me it's starting to border on the laughable..and not in a good way.
    I'm getting the feeling that BBC/ Top Gear are going to have the last laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I was in the process of signing up to video prime for this but stopped at the last as I don't have anyway to play it on my tv.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I was in the process of signing up to video prime for this but stopped at the last as I don't have anyway to play it on my tv.

..... so tempted.... but can't say.. rhymes with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So does that mean they're not coming on then??

Funny-ish the first time, now its painful.

Hammond seemingly taken on his persona from that science-y type show he did on Sky1 and Clarkson just an old man - nothing even remotely funny about the show anymore.

I was reading about the celebrity part and it's apparently a shot at the Beeb who said they were not allowed to interview celebrities as this was reserved for TG.. Sounds ludicrous to me.

• Advertisement

I was reading about the celebrity part and it's apparently a shot at the Beeb who said they were not allowed to interview celebrities as this was reserved for TG.. Sounds ludicrous to me.

I heard similar as well

Apparently they had talks with the beeb, concerning what could and couldn't be done.

It even came down to whether James May could use the term "Oh CÖCK", and that Clarkson couldn't use "And On That Bombshell "

pa990 wrote: »
    I heard similar as well

Apparently they had talks with the beeb, concerning what could and couldn't be done.

It even came down to whether James May could use the term "Oh CÖCK", and that Clarkson couldn't use "And On That Bombshell "

Ah wtf? Since when can the Beeb trademark someones phrase?

I know I know.. It's crazy.

If I can find the link, I'll post here.

Edit: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1667896/bbc-ban-james-may-from-saying-cock-on-new-amazon-show-the-grand-tour/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

And

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/bbc-threaten-to-sue-amazon-if-ex-top-gear-host-873266

Can't find the video interview.

So if in an episode either one of them says "oh cock or on that bombshell" then the Beeb can sue.. Joke and just shows the bitterness.
    I'm enjoying the guys back on, it's nice to escape reality for 1 hour and just watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

James has said oh cock a couple of times in it

James has said oh cock a couple of times in it

Maybe in the end that was allowed, but other pieces of the show cannot be replicated.

Celeb interviews, the stig, etc

• Advertisement

But how can the Beeb monopolise what is already a popular type of show? Talk shows have existed long before TG did and JC could argue that it was his and AW who created the format hence they can trademark it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

But how can the Beeb monopolise what is already a popular type of show? Talk shows have existed long before TG did and JC could argue that it was his and AW who created the format hence they can trademark it.

I am pretty sure the TGT lads are not allowed to:
    - hire Stig's transvestite cousin. And while some leeway would be given to any other show, a silent test driver in TGT would mean "too much similarities".
    - star in reasonable car. Thus any star competing on a race-track is not allowed. But I can't believe they are not allowed to interview guests at all. I am almost sure there were shows that did interviews prior to Top Gear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

grogi wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the TGT lads are not allowed to:
    - hire Stig's transvestite cousin. And while some leeway would be given to any other show, a silent test driver in TGT would mean "too much similarities".
    - star in reasonable car. Thus any star competing on a race-track is not allowed. But I can't believe they are not allowed to interview guests at all. I am almost sure there were shows that did interviews prior to Top Gear.

Even Clarkson had a chat show. That segment in Top Gear, was purely about that failure of a chat show he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That was a joke amongst the presenters and Wilman,, they mentioned it in every interview before the series started. They're just taking the piss with the media.
    They also said the Hammond couldn't be short :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

https://twitter.com/thegrandtour/status/810892497119481857

I just hope they dont f it up. These are the 2 types of Top Gear things i liked. Christmas special and long road trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Patww79 wrote: »

The BBC bought JC and AW out in 2013, and since then they own exclusive rights to all the IP associated with the Top Gear brand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedder_6

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's gotten to the point that I'm watching more out of hope than expectation. I'll keep watching, and there are amusing points, but when I sit down to put it on the TV, my fiancée (who is a petrolhead, oddly), groans.
    I know they couldn't get the Stig but they could've gotten a former F1 driver who just does good laps and doesn't try be funny by making stupid comments about how the car is ****e because it's not american etc and not someone who drives around in circles in NASCAR

Although I'm not a huge fan of the 'communist' shtick, and I'm really not a fan of NASCAR, I have to say, it does appear that the man can drive.

Try watching his Goodwood run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgObvliqFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It started off well enough and has been on a downward slope since.

Exactly the same shtick every episode.
    The whole thing is scripted to hell and its obvious Hammond can't act. He's the worse comic relief.

The American is just annoying and unfunny, the test lap looks like a back road and its even less about cars than Top Gear.

The scenarios are derivatives of what they've done previously. The battleship game was done before as darts.

And what the hell was with ep2? 20 mins of them bumbling around an assault course with not a car in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bring back Tiff and his second hand cars

it wasnt tiff that did the second hand cars it was sleazy mc clockerface

Tigger wrote: »
    it wasnt tiff that did the second hand cars it was sleazy mc clockerface

Tell me more.....

Although I'm not a huge fan of the 'communist' shtick, and I'm really not a fan of NASCAR, I have to say, it does appear that the man can drive.

Try watching his Goodwood run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgObvliqFU

Did anyone ever question that?

Even if he had failed the racing career (don't know his results honestly), the difference between professional drivers is very narrow. When it comes to show like that it is more the personality than the actual sports results.

I'm averaging about 5 mins to watch an episode now, easily the worst show on Tv when you consider the budget.

If they are intent on going on down this scripted rehearsed path at least use some of that amazon money and employ some gifted writers.

I'm averaging about 5 mins to watch an episode now, easily the worst show on Tv when you consider the budget.

If they are intent on going on down this scripted rehearsed path at least use some of that amazon money and employ some gifted writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

tossy wrote: »

This is a strange case where a huge budget is hurting the show. It's like they have to have these extravagant pieces to justify the budget. I reckon it'd be a better show if the money was cut in half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement