Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Hopkins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I can't link but here is a piece of it:

"For months, the only thing that’s surprised me about Donald Trump is my friends’ astonishment at his success. What’s driving it is the class culture gap.

One little-known element of that gap is that the white working class (WWC) resents professionals but admires the rich. Class migrants (white-collar professionals born to blue-collar families) report that “professional people were generally suspect” and that managers are college kids “who don’t know **** about how to do anything but are full of ideas about how I have to do my job,” said Alfred Lubrano in Limbo.

Barbara Ehrenreich recalled in 1990 that her blue-collar dad “could not say the word doctor without the virtual prefix quack. Lawyers were shysters…and professors were without exception phonies.” Annette Lareau found tremendous resentment against teachers, who were perceived as condescending and unhelpful."

There is much more especially about WWC males prefer directness etc The article is by Joan C Williams Professor of Law in Univ of California. She ends it by saying:
    "In 2010, while on a book tour for Reshaping the Work-Family Debate, I gave a talk about all of this at the Harvard Kennedy School. The woman who ran the speaker series, a major Democratic operative, liked my talk. “You are saying exactly what the Democrats need to hear,” she mused, “and they’ll never listen.” I hope now they will now."

Here's the full article: https://hbr.org/2016/11/what-so-many-people-dont-get-about-the-u-s-working-class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy showed himself to be a very poor moderator last night. Plenty of good and bad points made by both sides on the panel but he played up to populist thinking, i.e. the crowd, because it suited his own personal political views and his opinion of Hopkins. The 3 of them combined managed to demonstrate alot of what is wrong with our media and you cant blame people for having 'filters' on their newsfeeds when they have to listen to shítty childish debates like that which do nothing to enhance the mainstream media as a source of unbiased information.

I thought the opinions made by people in the crowd were better than those on the stage and more in touch with reality. The students highlighted a problem in our society perfectly.

Katie Hopkins is making a living by upsetting liberal thinking. If that side of the argument werent so wrapped up in themselves, she wouldnt have a job.

Couldn't agree more, well said. For me that was the final straw with him. I've never liked him, but for me it was always the faux sincerity and his desk slapping manner at any attempt at humour in his direction! But he outdid himself with his constant hamming up applause for the constantly offended last night. They knew the audience and the public were by default against Hopkins, so he had no problem in taking the witch trials into his personal domain. It was a glimpse into the duplicitous man he is behind that thin veil of outward enthusiasm.

No doubt he will be making another big deal about his Christmas jumper on the Toy Show again this year at another effort to connect himself with the plebs!

He made an interesting point, and basically made the suggestion that Donald is corrupt. It's an interesting narrative, and not once did it seem like a flimsy suggestion considering Donald's opponent in the race! He has a nerve to make that suggestion, especially considering the political connections he and his family have. Let's have an audit nearing to home Ryan if we're going to throw out accusations of corruption! How much are you taking home for your 12 hours of unskilled work a week?

As for the association he made between the KKK and Donald Trump, and then later on the association between Donald Trump and 1930's Germany, you have to be a special kind of idiot to throw that out there in the idea of cause and effect. That said, I'm not surprised he made it, after all it was a surefire winner with the crowd, and that's all that matters.

As a final note then he then went on to discuss Hopkins in his interview with O'Briain, another insufferable crowd hammer-upper. The discussion here was of course that she's merely a provocateur and she couldn't possible hold those opinions genuinely. Well it's nice of them to speak on her behalf and to withhold views that don't align with theirs as somehow possible. Let's not forget that Hopkins is not speaking on behalf of a fringe or minority here, both views she held, in terms of Brexit and the US Presidential results ended up getting over the line! If anything she has nothing to defend in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

20Cent wrote: »
    Do you think he is actually going to build the wall and the other stuff he did he'd do?

I think he is going to enforce a harder line on illegal immigration than is currently the case yes. I think building a wall would be problematic, but I could see a more stringent form of border control than they currently have certainly.

I wouldn't rule out him building a wall along hot-spots along the border either.

As far as I'm concerned if he cracks down on illegals then it's essentially the same thing. I suspect what will happen is harsher penalties on those employing people who don't have the right to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Havent watched the LLS in about 4 years so i guess i am missing all the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's had the second highest circulation in the UK for years (after The Sun). Do you not think the second biggest selling newspaper counts as "mainstream"?
    Some people will read any type of rubbish, they don't call it the daily fail without reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

+1
    completely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Your original contention was that Marine Le Pen is "far right". So far the sum total of your contribution to back this up is "I said so and I definitely know more than you".
    Sooooo convincing.

Your inability to agree to disagree is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Last night proved more than anything else that the LLS will never be a bastion for heated, in-depth discussion while Tubridy is at the helm. He was woeful, properly awful, toe-curlingly bad.

Katie Hopkins is an interviewer's dream but he totally spurned the opportunity by scolding her like a child. Imagine how Gaybo would have dealt with someone like Hopkins? It would have been TV gold.

Was my first time watching the Late Late in years, and it'll be years before I watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

It's noticeable how the modern far Leftie rabble spend 24/7 crying about misogyny and then they are the ones who give the most vile abuse ever to people like Katie Hopkins, Theresa May, Anne Coulter, Melania Trump etc. They don't care about misogyny it's just a self defense mechanism to quell any opposing views and shut down debate.

Speaking of shutting down debate, the fact they had an orchestrated Twitter campaign and 1100 complaints to RTE before Hopkins went on, is embarrassing for this country. Once again their got to reaction is to shut down debate rather than have it. Probably because most of what they rant on about, can be exposed very quickly.

It's noticeable how the modern far Leftie rabble spend 24/7 crying about misogyny and then they are the ones who give the most vile abuse ever to people like Katie Hopkins, Theresa May, Anne Coulter, Melania Trump etc. They don't care about misogyny it's just a self defense mechanism to quell any opposing views and shut down debate.

Speaking of shutting down debate, the fact they had an orchestrated Twitter campaign and 1100 complaints to RTE before Hopkins went on, is embarrassing for this country. Once again their got to reaction is to shut down debate rather than have it. Probably because most of what they rant on about, can be exposed very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Last night proved more than anything else that the LLS will never be a bastion for heated, in-depth discussion while Tubridy is at the helm. He was woeful, properly awful, toe-curlingly bad.

Katie Hopkins is an interviewer's dream but he totally spurned the opportunity by scolding her like a child. Imagine how Gaybo would have dealt with someone like Hopkins? It would have been TV gold.

Was my first time watching the Late Late in years, and it'll be years before I watch it again.

It was like an episode of Jerry Springer without the cat fights.

They will never debate Hopkins in a civilized manner because they will lose, they came like attack dogs guest, and presenter together. Tubs then even tried to get the crowd attacking Hopkins, he even failed at that.Hopkins is no fool she knows she will never be given a fair hearing by the Liberal media so she comes prepared for battle and, usually gains the upper hand.

Mr Joe wrote: »
    It's noticeable how the modern far Leftie rabble spend 24/7 crying about misogyny and then they are the ones who give the most vile abuse ever to people like Katie Hopkins, Theresa May, Anne Coulter, Melania Trump etc. They don't care about misogyny it's just a self defense mechanism to quell any opposing views and shut down debate...

Misogyny is not disagreeing with opinions or political leanings.

Misogyny is not disagreeing with opinions or political leanings.
    If you think that is the height of the abuse these people take you are misinformed. It's only misogyny when its a Leftie/Liberal woman. When its a conservative they are fair game for all.

Just another example of liberals glaring hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It wasn't a debate, just Katie shouting, absolutely awful. But the audience members who supported Trump summed up why he won. Imagine being afraid to say you want Trump to win in a university. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Watching it now. She is making faces and rolling her eyes while Colette speaks. Interrupts non stop.
    No interest in"debate" just raising her profile.

It wasn't a debate, just Katie shouting, absolutely awful. But the audience members who supported Trump summed up why he won. Imagine being afraid to say you want Trump to win in a university. Unbelievable.
    Thats the reason polls are so wrong these days. People are afraid to say how they really feel. It's not a surprise people were afraid to declare support for Trump, it would just bring abuse from foaming at the mouth liberals. Nobody needs that grief, but that doesn't mean once they get in the ballot box they will change their opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

20Cent wrote: »
    Watching it now. She is making faces and rolling her eyes while Colette speaks. Interrupts non stop.
    No interest in"debate" just raising her profile.
    When you're asked basically "aren't you a Nazi" the debate has already ended. This was a stitch up that went horrible wrong for the lefties echo-chamber at RTE.

When you're asked basically "aren't you a Nazi" the debate has already ended. This was a stitch up that went horrible wrong for the lefties echo-chamber at RTE.
    Tubridy lowered the tone starting talking about pussy etc and then he tried to say how the debate was unsuitable for children ....:D

Guy is a clown, he tried to stitch her up talking about the KKK and Nazis which also backfired. If that is all he could say about Trump winning it doesn't say much. We need to scrap the TV license this guy and his colleagues are stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Thats the reason polls are so wrong these days. People are afraid to say how they really feel. It's not a surprise people were afraid to declare support for Trump, it would just bring abuse from foaming at the mouth liberals. Nobody needs that grief, but that doesn't mean once they get in the ballot box they will change their opinion.

Hell the vitriol isn't even confined to campuses, this poor seven year old kid voted trump in a mock school election 'because he saw him on TV', and his own mother handed him a suitcase and booted him out the door to walk the streets holding an 'I voted for trump' sign. At first I thought it must be a fake, but the sheer terror in the childs voice tells you that it's not. This is the kind of ideological lunacy people are dealing with....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

They will never debate Hopkins in a civilized manner because they will lose, they came like attack dogs guest, and presenter together. Tubs then even tried to get the crowd attacking Hopkins, he even failed at that.Hopkins is no fool she knows she will never be given a fair hearing by the Liberal media so she comes prepared for battle and, usually gains the upper hand.

The biggest problem with the whole debacle last night was RTE's guest selection of the person who was supposed to represent the opposite side of the debate to Katie Hopkins. She was completely incapable of matching Hopkins.

Everyone knows Hopkins is not going to sit back and allow her opposition to make points. She's going to constantly interrupt and use aggression and be forcefull in order to get her point across. The other guest was completely intimadated by her and might as well not have been there. She was nothing more than a passive presence on the seat beside her.

This then lead to the unedifying spectacle of the supposed moderator(tubridy) getting involved and having zero objectivity or neutrality

conorhal wrote: »
    Hell the vitriol isn't even confined to campuses, this poor seven year old kid voted trump in a mock school election 'because he saw him on TV', and his own mother handed him a suitcase and booted him out the door to walk the streets holding an 'I voted for trump' sign. At first I thought it must be a fake, but the sheer terror in the childs voice tells you that it's not. This is the kind of ideological lunacy people are dealing with....

If I was American I would be scared to declare I voted for Trump. Nice "progressives" like these are waiting. A man in his 50s brutally beaten. No doubt these people are oppressed victims in the minds of Liberals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

conorhal wrote: »

What a complete cnut. Poor little kid. He would probably be better off in the long run without a fcuking bitch like that for a mother.
    He's fcuking seven for fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Haven't gotten to that bit. She was rolling he eyes and interrupting well before that right from the start actually.

If I was American I would be scared to declare I voted for Trump. Nice "progressives" like these are waiting. A man in his 50s brutally beaten. No doubt these people are oppressed victims in the minds of Liberals.
    These are the same African Americans who only turned up to vote for Obama? Nothing racist about that is there. Unless they're just misogynists and hate strong and successful women like Clinton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

she was incapable of taking anyone else's opposing opinion on board

which is for me, is the sign of a bigot

These are the same African Americans who only turned up to vote for Obama? Nothing racist about that is there. Unless they're just misogynists and hate strong and successful women like Clinton?
    You won't find stuff like that on mainstream news. But if it was the other way round???? Would be plastered all over BBC, CNN, Guardian, RTE, Irish Times. Even youtube tring to censor it.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Which differentiated her from the supposed chair calling her a nazi when he couldn't think of anything else to say how exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Depends what you mean by on board. I don't listen to Sinn Fein..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Ryan was the weakest link last night .He was completely out done by Katie.His comments were childish and unprofessional.He should have been able to keep together but he came across as a struggling amateur interviewer and completely lost control of the interview imo. Love her or hate her Katie won the battle and him mentioning her in a later interview was beyond belief imo,he left himself down big time.

Advertisement