Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Hopkins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I think it show how viciousness and fragility our human nature. Any who holds a views contrary to our society and looking for change are demonised by the masses.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

ligerdub wrote: »
    She's a troll......which is a translation for "she doesn't agree with me". Folds arms.

Yeah sure she's deliberately provocative, but they are her opinions.

Caught about the last 15 minutes of the interview. I just wished'd she'd stop interrupting other speakers rudely. She's entitled to her opinions but she's not interested in hearing anyone else speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think it show how viciousness and fragility our human nature. Any who holds a views contrary to our society and looking for change are demonised by the masses.

She still slaughtered them! Even Tubs didn't get to deliver his last line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

She's a troll......which is a translation for "she doesn't agree with me". Folds arms.

That's the point - they AREN'T her opinions. She is merely saying controversial things so that she gets attention and thereby earns money.

If they were her opinions then people should engage with her. As it stands, she's just a kid at the side of the road hurling insults at people, looking for attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Rte trying desperately to be controversial. Next up, a lesbian couple and a priest debate the 8th amendment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Tbf.....she did say ireland should hang there heads in shame for not putting the poppy on the jerseys

If opinions like that are dismissed as the garbage they are....I'll not loose sleep over it tbh.....but then again I would be nationalistic :)

Unless you dislike irish nationlists???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Or maybe you've just got 21,000 posts so you're far more likely to stumble across it. I could speak to 100 people on Grafton St tomorrow and most of them wouldn't know what I'm on about if I use the word 'godwinned'.

I've never heard of it and I make my living from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So in your mind someone's opinion that's different to mainstream media is a troll, keep up the good work.

everlast75 wrote: »
    That's the point - they AREN'T her opinions. She is merely saying controversial things so that she gets attention and thereby earns money.

If they were her opinions then people should engage with her. As it stands, she's just a kid at the side of the road hurling insults at people, looking for attention

Yeah, you get the impression that her opinions are pretty shallow and not sincere at all, just designed to get a reaction. No one could possibly have treated the drowning of 5 youngsters as a bit of a laugh. That's not some opinion, that's just disturbed.

I kinda see her in the Susan Boyle mode. A person who may have issues twirled on stage to provoke a reaction, sympathy, outrage, anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

everlast75 wrote:

everlast75 wrote:

No, they are her opinions! She just has an approach which people don't like, and she knows it. She also knows that because she holds the views that she does that she's going to be savaged by clowns anyway, she might as well irk them herself somehow.

• Advertisement

Caught about the last 15 minutes of the interview. I just wished'd she'd stop interrupting other speakers rudely. She's entitled to her opinions but she's not interested in hearing anyone else speak.

Yeah that's a fair point.

Sam Kade wrote:
    So in your mind someone's opinion that's different to mainstream media is a troll, keep up the good work.

I was being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think she's hilarious. Apparently she's quite a nice person in real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Sam Kade wrote: »

She has a column in the daily mail, doesn't get much more 'mainstream media' than that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

New to the internet ? been around since what 1990s.
    You could have just explained what it meant, clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Tbf.....she did say ireland should hang there heads in shame for not putting the poppy on the jerseys

If opinions like that are dismissed as the garbage they are....I'll not loose sleep over it tbh.....but then again I would be nationalistic :)

Unless you dislike irish nationlists???

We as a society are conditioned by the media, and it's human nature to fear change. So control the media control the people. Our society can be just as easily manipulated as any authoritarian dictatorship. Our brand of **** happens to be western culture. Its just amazing to watch people gang up on people with different opinions. That's why the polls got it so wrong people were afraid to say they were trump supporters but the still voted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ryan Tubridy showed himself to be a very poor moderator last night. Plenty of good and bad points made by both sides on the panel but he played up to populist thinking, i.e. the crowd, because it suited his own personal political views and his opinion of Hopkins. The 3 of them combined managed to demonstrate alot of what is wrong with our media and you cant blame people for having 'filters' on their newsfeeds when they have to listen to shítty childish debates like that which do nothing to enhance the mainstream media as a source of unbiased information.

I thought the opinions made by people in the crowd were better than those on the stage and more in touch with reality. The students highlighted a problem in our society perfectly.

Katie Hopkins is making a living by upsetting liberal thinking. If that side of the argument werent so wrapped up in themselves, she wouldnt have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

She has a column in the daily mail, doesn't get much more 'mainstream media' than that
    The daily mail mainstream? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Interesting, and very plausible. It is just so hard to figure how the billionaire who wouldn't wipe his feet on the backs of the poor was identified by so many of them as a saviour. A lot of the explanations seize on the fact that the poor who voted for him were white and suggest that the basis was simple racism.

Did they simply reference it or explain it?

I can't link but here is a piece of it:

"For months, the only thing that’s surprised me about Donald Trump is my friends’ astonishment at his success. What’s driving it is the class culture gap.

One little-known element of that gap is that the white working class (WWC) resents professionals but admires the rich. Class migrants (white-collar professionals born to blue-collar families) report that “professional people were generally suspect” and that managers are college kids “who don’t know **** about how to do anything but are full of ideas about how I have to do my job,” said Alfred Lubrano in Limbo.

Barbara Ehrenreich recalled in 1990 that her blue-collar dad “could not say the word doctor without the virtual prefix quack. Lawyers were shysters…and professors were without exception phonies.” Annette Lareau found tremendous resentment against teachers, who were perceived as condescending and unhelpful."

There is much more especially about WWC males prefer directness etc The article is by Joan C Williams Professor of Law in Univ of California. She ends it by saying:
    "In 2010, while on a book tour for Reshaping the Work-Family Debate, I gave a talk about all of this at the Harvard Kennedy School. The woman who ran the speaker series, a major Democratic operative, liked my talk. “You are saying exactly what the Democrats need to hear,” she mused, “and they’ll never listen.” I hope now they will now."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

I think she's hilarious. Apparently she's quite a nice person in real life

So it's an act. Would agree. Alex Jones was screaming passionately on newsnight a while ago. Host tweeted that the second the show ended he turned normal and broke character.

• Advertisement

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I can't link but here is a piece of it:

"For months, the only thing that’s surprised me about Donald Trump is my friends’ astonishment at his success. What’s driving it is the class culture gap.

One little-known element of that gap is that the white working class (WWC) resents professionals but admires the rich. Class migrants (white-collar professionals born to blue-collar families) report that “professional people were generally suspect” and that managers are college kids “who don’t know **** about how to do anything but are full of ideas about how I have to do my job,” said Alfred Lubrano in Limbo.

Barbara Ehrenreich recalled in 1990 that her blue-collar dad “could not say the word doctor without the virtual prefix quack. Lawyers were shysters…and professors were without exception phonies.” Annette Lareau found tremendous resentment against teachers, who were perceived as condescending and unhelpful."

There is much more especially about WWC males prefer directness etc The article is by Joan C Williams Professor of Law in Univ of California. She ends it by saying:
    "In 2010, while on a book tour for Reshaping the Work-Family Debate, I gave a talk about all of this at the Harvard Kennedy School. The woman who ran the speaker series, a major Democratic operative, liked my talk. “You are saying exactly what the Democrats need to hear,” she mused, “and they’ll never listen.” I hope now they will now."

Just because it's in quotes doesn't make it right.

Just because Donald Trump is a billionaire doesn't mean he isn't out to help out those in the lower income & wealth classes.

There is a narrative out there that it's "stupid white people" have been duped into this and it's going to end in tears for them. It's a deeply patronising and incorrect viewpoint, and I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You could have just explained what it meant, clown.
    Mod: Do it without the personal abuse next time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ligerdub wrote:
    Just because Donald Trump is a billionaire doesn't mean he isn't out to help out those in the lower income & wealth classes.

I think I'm more worried about the republican party as a whole, they have a history of not looking after the working classes very well, a leopard never changes his spots!

Fleawuss wrote: »

Interesting stuff. Am in one of those jobs myself...and do find myself disliking so many around me, adapting some facade and thinking they amount to something just because of their position, and being so smug. And I don't mind the rich...because they are rich...they have arrived, it's the ones desperate to get into that bracket by aping the mannerisms of the rich that irritate me. I don't mind the millionaire demanding the best bottle of wine, it's the social climber affecting a wine snobbery that gets to me. I have a lot of friends who happen to be hippies, and have had others ask me why do I drink with them and saying it looks wrong!

Not sure if any if that makes sense mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Don't talk about her. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

RayM wrote: »
    I'm perfectly content for you to think that, just like I'm perfectly content for you to think that the National Front are a bunch of cuddly centrists.
    Your original contention was that Marine Le Pen is "far right". So far the sum total of your contribution to back this up is "I said so and I definitely know more than you".
    Sooooo convincing.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I think I'm more worried about the republican party as a whole, they have a history of not looking after the working classes very well, a leopard never changes his spots!

You are right, but for all the bluster it's not like the Democrats have seemed to have done much good for the working classes, bar making them a larger percentage of their population.

People speak about the declining unemployment rate under Obama, but they neglect the improvement in this which was nigh on inevitable with a resurgent economy which was always going to materialise. The fact that this figure excludes a significant decline in the participation rate in those out of work but looking for jobs, as well as the fact that a very high percentage of those no longer unemployed are in very low paid jobs.

Bear in mind also that Donald Trump was a Democrat for a long time. His views are not those typically espoused by a Republican candidate, and might have played into the difficulties he had with the elites in the Republican party. His opponent in this election was arguably a bigger Conservative than he was! She just dressed it up by tying in social causes she recognised as more liberal and more soft touch PR strategies, and did so as a vote getter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Just because it's in quotes doesn't make it right.

There is a narrative out there that it's "stupid white people" have been duped into this and it's going to end in tears for them. It's a deeply patronising and incorrect viewpoint, and I don't like it.

Do you think he is actually going to build the wall and the other stuff he did he'd do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The daily mail mainstream? :D
    It's had the second highest circulation in the UK for years (after The Sun). Do you not think the second biggest selling newspaper counts as "mainstream"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ligerdub wrote:
    You are right, but for all the bluster it's not like the Democrats have seemed to have done much good for the working classes, bar making them a larger percentage of their population.

I think I agree with Chomsky when he calls democrats, moderate republicans. Michael Hudson also believes both parties have been implementing right winged ideologies for decades, I do believe this is the case. There's not much difference between both parties but I truly fear the republicans largely due to their history. I suspect the working classes will just be screwed further by them and with the fact that their country is a wash with weaponry, I fear for them and indeed the world

Advertisement