Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This one kinda sums Conor up - he's obsessed with his fighting. I can't be sure but I'm almost sure he's rolling his head under John's chin at the start talking about the clinch against the cage.

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/797902495112630272

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

What i absolutely love about that video is Cian Cowley laughing his head off in the same way you look at your boss at the Xmas Party when he's scuttered lol

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/797899730911162368

I dont understand how this could be a favourite, unless the others were somehow even worse. Utterly boring video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm actually afraid I'll walk out of training one evening and find wonderfullife going through the SBG bins.

401532.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

401533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Anyone else interested in going to this? Stadium seating with a prime seat £35.

It would be good if something similar could be done in Dublin, the Upgrades are crazy expensive but regualar sitting would be good.

https://events.ticketbooth.eu/event/an-experience-with-the-notorious-conor-mcgregor/pre-sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don't expect he'd want to be cutting to 145 when Dee is close to having a baby. Too much risk making weight especially with a baby on the way.

Really? What's the risk? And if it's that serious than what difference does having a child make?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Effects wrote: »
    I don't expect he'd want to be cutting to 145 when Dee is close to having a baby. Too much risk making weight especially with a baby on the way.

Really? What's the risk? And if it's that serious than what difference does having a child make?

The risk is organ failure, possibly death.

I'm sure having a child puts that into perspective.

Maybe cutting weight isn't as bad as it looks for him but it looks really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If the risks are that high then he shouldn't be doing it for his own self, never mind his kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thank god boards is full of doctors & psychologists.

Effects wrote: »
    If the risks are that high then he shouldn't be doing it for his own self, never mind his kid.

You risk death/serious injury just getting in the cage.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Thank god boards is full of doctors & psychologists.
    It doesn't take a doctor/physiologist to tell you that cutting 13% of your body weight through water is dangerous.

15% is the celling, that is so extreme that death is imminent. That's from Dr. Novitisky, the head of USADA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I was seriously concerned about him at the Mendes weigh in. He looked like death and slurred his speech.

"Im going to raise gold for urrrrland"

He looked feeble, which makes his victory all the more amazing.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm actually afraid I'll walk out of training one evening and find wonderfullife going through the SBG bins.

Oi oi! Shots fired :pac: Was this your subtle attempt at bragging to being a member of SBG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Wonderful you never mentioned meeting Magicirl in sbg that time you were there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You risk death/serious injury just getting in the cage.

You risk death going in the motorway fast lane, but it's a different risk to speeding down it against traffic.

ardinn wrote: »
    Wonderful you never mentioned meeting Magicirl in sbg that time you were there!!!

Was he the fella sitting on the couch in reception on his phone looking for sarcastic meme's to score a point on the internet :pac:

Only buzzing :)

Anyone else find it very weird that Dana Whites new best friends TMZ are pushing Anthony Pettis so hard in the last few days? They've 3 headline videos involving him in the past 5 days - all related to McGregor. The latest one today Pettis is saying he's coming for both of his belts.

The cynic inside of me smells a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

You risk death if you went to the Motors forum and called it a 'fast lane' there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

This nonsense needs to die.

People should never defend an interim belt, it completely defeats the point of the damned thing.

Aldo is the only valid competition at 145. Conor needs to crap or get off the pot.

Exactly. The Interim title is only defended when the actual Champion is out for unknown length of time [aka injured] Conor is not out injured. He just has no intention of defending his titles. Aldo should not ave to do Conor's job for him.

Conor should either start these belts or vacate them and then let him take "The Money fights" to his hearts content.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just listening to something about vacating/defending now, Conor has had 4 or 5 fights in 11 months or something like that.
    Aldo had gone up to 13 months without defending, so if he is to be dealt the same hand as Aldo in defending the belt, he has a couple more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just listening to something about vacating/defending now, Conor has had 4 or 5 fights in 11 months or something like that.
    Aldo had gone up to 13 months without defending, so if he is to be dealt the same hand as Aldo in defending the belt, he has a couple more months.

But hes been fit to fight Aldo was injured. Im happy with him chasing the big fights but that argument cant really be used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ASOT wrote: »
    But hes been fit to fight Aldo was injured. Im happy with him chasing the big fights but that argument cant really be used.
    Is that after the RDA fight was cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Aldo was out injured. While frustrating it happens in sports. Conor does not have that excuse. He's healthy and sitting on his title because he wanted to take "money fights"

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Aldo was out injured. While frustrating it happens in sports. Conor does not have that excuse. He's healthy and sitting on his title because he wanted to take "money fights"

By contrast, can Conor not say that there isn't anyone to challenge him? As he said, he knocked Aldo out in 13 seconds, why would he waste time on that...alll the prep, training and media.

FYI - I'd love to see him defending the belt(s) rather than money fights. It's more in the spirit of the competition and rankings.

JohnMc1 wrote: »

100% his next fight has to be at Featherweight if he wants to hold the belt.

From a career perspective, I think Aldo would be best advised going straight to 155 into a match against Ferguson. It'd send a strong message out to McGregor and the world really - I'm gonna chase him everywhere.

Aldo has many times TALKED about beating the best at 155. Go prove it now. There's nothing left for him to prove at 145 other than the Pettis/Holloway winner. I'd much prefer to see him step up to Ferguson who accepts every fight. It'd be a title eliminator in all but name - the winner would most certainly skip Khabib for a million reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

By contrast, can Conor not say that there isn't anyone to challenge him? As he said, he knocked Aldo out in 13 seconds, why would he waste time on that...alll the prep, training and media.

FYI - I'd love to see him defending the belt(s) rather than money fights. It's more in the spirit of the competition and rankings.

So what, because he says there's nobody to defend him, just hold onto the belt indefinitely without anyone else getting a title shot?! The previous knockout is no longer relevant to Aldo's demand for a shot at the title. He's the number one contender for the belt McGregor hasn't defended yet. It shouldn't and doesn't need any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I see Khabib seems to be the number one name being mentioned at the moment online as to who people seem to think McGregor should face next but I don't agree at all. Conor just got this belt and so why should he immediately risk losing it. Makes no sense at all with regards to risk reward.

On the other hand it's clear that if he doesn't defend his 145 belt next it will be taken from him and so surely if anything Aldo is the fight that makes sense next... or maybe Nate III as better the devil you know when it comes to defending the '55 strap.... or both at different points throughout the year if he can convince UFC to let him hold onto the '45 belt until the summer.

No disrespect to either of those fighters but I think they would be easy enough fights for him.

Then at the end of the year a Superfight at MSG.... either Mayweather or whoever it is that will be holding the 170 belt so he can attempt to become the first fighter to simultaneously hold three straps.

So what, because he says there's nobody to defend him, just hold onto the belt indefinitely without anyone else getting a title shot?! The previous knockout is no longer relevant to Aldo's demand for a shot at the title. He's the number one contender for the belt McGregor hasn't defended yet. It shouldn't and doesn't need any more than that.

its kinda like aldo saying to mendes, ah I cant get excited about beating a guy I ko'd with me knee last time. Mendes worked his way back up and got his second shot so by the same rationale, so should Aldo....But I think he should blank that division and focus on 155 to end his career really anyway, Mcgregor I mean not Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Can someone explain what's stopping the UFC from stripping Conor of the featherweight belt, besides all the uproar it would cause?

The way some people talk about it, it seems like Dana would have to call round Conor's gaff and physically take the belt off him.

They could just announce tomorrow that they were stripping him of the title, but clearly it's in the UFC's interest to have Conor as champion at 145 too. I think Dana doth protest too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rusty cole wrote: »
    its kinda like aldo saying to mendes, ah I cant get excited about beating a guy I ko'd with me knee last time. Mendes worked his way back up and got his second shot so by the same rationale, so should Aldo....But I think he should blank that division and focus on 155 to end his career really anyway, Mcgregor I mean not Aldo.

Which is fair enough most would say, as long as he gives up the strap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

They could just announce tomorrow that they were stripping him of the title, but clearly it's in the UFC's interest to have Conor as champion at 145 too. I think Dana doth protest too much

Why would it be in the UFCs interest to have him keep the 145 belt? If he announces his next fight is at 155, should he still be champ at 145?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement