Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's easy to say this now because i know the result - BUT - It struck me that "Team McGregor" were more used to the big occasion than "Team Alvarez". Sergey was in Conors corner for Mendes, Dillon for Diaz and the other 2 have been in his corner for all the crazy big shows.

Whereas Eddie's team is relatively new and most of them haven't cornered a fighter in such a high pressure environment. I think they'd do a better job next time.
    Relatively new? What's that based on.
    If anything Mark Henry has been around the big stage a lot longer.

Conor's had 5 truly "big" fights, over the last 16 months.

I might be wrong, but hasn't Mark Henry has been in the corner for numourous big fights ever since Frankie won the title in 2010. From memory, that's 8 title fights for Frankie, maybe 12 big fights total in his corner. Two previous with Alvarez. Ricardo Almedia back in the day, etc.

I think they just handled it poorly. That doesn't necessarily mean that they have less experience than the men opposite.
    Look at Edmond, how many high pressure fight did he breeze through before Holly exposed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He could fight tomorrow provided his foot and right hand aren't still injured. February would be doable but I don't see it happening.

Nate Diaz isn't fighting anyone on an under card. He won't fight again unless it's for a belt or against Conor for a trilogy fight. He doesn't need to.

The same goes for Nick, either he gets a super fight or he fights for a belt or he just won't bother.

Possibly, but Nate would get as much money for an eliminator v Khabib on a McGregor undercard as he would headlining a card v someone else for a title.

Personally I don't see McGregor moving up or moving down, so I think he'll defend the 155, and he won't fight Khabib next, so it'll either be Diaz or Ferguson, with the other one fighting Khabib in an eliminator. And perhaps it's more likely he'll fight Diaz and let Khabib fight Ferguson, but as I said, I'd prefer it was the other way around - and certainly Ferguson deserves the next shot more than Diaz (not that "deserve" means as much as it should)

The other alternative is that McGregor sits out until next Autumn while they sort out the financials and leaves the others to fight over the interim belt in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Gamebred wrote: »
    About a mix for his entrance music,
    I presume your man didnt do it for him?
    I'd say he regrets it now Conor doesnt forget favours done for him.

And what about all the other opportunities he got to work for "exposure" from people who never became millionaire fighters?

Do you expect him to just work for free in the hope that someday, someone he worked for will become successful and remember him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    Possibly, but Nate would get as much money for an eliminator v Khabib on a McGregor undercard as he would headlining a card v someone else for a title.
    There is no "somebody else" for a title.
    McGregor holds the title, so he's the only person he can fight for a title.
    There's no way that fighting Khabib comes close to McGregor money for Nate.

And you keep saying undercard, when you mean co-main.
    The other alternative is that McGregor sits out until next Autumn while they sort out the financials and leaves the others to fight over the interim belt in the meantime.
    The interim belt is at 145. I doubt they'll make another. But you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Simply put, no. Not a hope in hell. PPV points would be lower (if he even got them), his pay would be lower, exposure for exploiting personal sponsors is less. It's too much risk without enough reward.

If Conor was to lose the 155 belt, Nate would petition for a fight against Khabib/Ferguson/Whoever beats him, but until then the only fight I see Nate taking is Conor. And to be honest, even if Conor did lose the 155 belt I could still see Nate angling for that fight rather than a title shot. He's said several times he couldn't give a toss about the belt, he just wants the best pay day for himself.

Nate vs someone else for a belt in California = a decent payday for him, big gates for the company and a PPV buy of over 1million.

Nate vs Conor without the belt = high ppv buys, well north of 1million buys.

Nate vs Conor for the belt = new record PPV buys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

pc7 wrote: »
    Any estimate on how much he'll have made for the fight?

Lots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yep bronze and silver medals in rowing mean nowt to the general public if were honest,

A lot of the general public don't like the UFC and find it barbaric and a sport for thugs. You'll be up against that stuff from Joe Duffy types tbh.

They have to give him a proper welcome home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Deedsie wrote: »
    It was obviously going to happen but can no one in Irish media give the man a bit of credit without having a dig at him?

Shane Coleman, Paul Williams and Alan Quinlan on newstalk agree that McGregor is a swaggering thug. Quinlan saying he didn't show his opponent respect.

The same Alan Quinlan who couldn't go on a Lions tour because he tried to gouge the eye out of Leo Cullen's head.

They just don't get that it's part of the act do they ?
    What do they want Conor to be like ? f*cking Roger Federer ??

I mean it's not like he's throwing shapes walking down O Connel street picking fights on tourists ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What an absolute epic night of fighting , I'm still only recovering this morning. Brilliant from Conor , after the 1st round I was a lot more relaxed as he was in complete control and Alvarez looked shocked to his core I think he knew by the time the round ended that he was in big big trouble.
    I reckon we don't see Conor again until after his baby is born next year maybe in the summer or autumn don't know how that plays out given he has two world titles but he fully deserves a break after what he's done the last 11 month's.
    Well done to the whole team at SBG I hope they all have a great Xmas , thanks for the entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Williams is some nasty piece of work. Sanctimony runs through him like a stick of rock. Showboating via his favourite pastime of virtue signalling to the perpetual handwringers.

Says if you seen someone in Crumlin doing what you see in the Octagon, you'd not call it a sport then.... but sure by that logic you couldn't see boxing as a sport either as if you seen someone boxing someone at night in Crumlin you wouldn't think they were just playing a sport.

He said he has a problem with boxing here also, merely because certain low lifes are involved in it... but sure that's like having an issue with horse racing just because some criminals invested in a couple of horses. Makes about as much sense.. ie: none.

He positions himself as some kind of guardian of the peace but that chap is about attention and money, feck all else. Anytime you see him interviewed in his office at home the walls are not adorned not with articles that he has written, but with movie posters from films that have been adapted from his over dramatized non-fiction / fiction.

McGregor has more work ethic in his little finger than that man has in his whole body. More integrity also. Or at least I have no evidence of Conor ever having glorified murderers by giving them catchy nicknames and then making money off of it. Whereas there is a ton of evidence of Mr.Williams having done so. You'll find it in Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I like the new show times, Pat Kenny at 9-12 is excellent. But the breakfast show is very poor standard.

Shane Coleman just now, "I'm saying it's not a sport" well Shane I am saying you are an incompetent broadcaster. If popular opinion proves something my comment has more to back it up than yours.

The annoying thing is in time you know they will change their tune.

Would love to tell them that's highly insulting to Barry McGuigan and Steve Collins and mental gymnastics ensue.

Doubt McGregor cares too much though, he puts all of their careers combined to laughable shame and he's still only about half way through it (at the top level) unless he quits early.

They just don't get that it's part of the act do they ?
    What do they want Conor to be like ? f*cking Roger Federer ??

I mean it's not like he's throwing shapes walking down O Connel street picking fights on tourists ??
    It's a very standard and irritating thing that seems to have a place in the mentality of a lot of Irish people - same was true for Roy Keane for example. More interested in athletes being seen to be the nice, honest,bring-home-to-your-granny type than actually being successful. And preferably not from Dublin for some.

Were McGregor from the Kerry equivalent of say Cowboy Cerrone or Rory MacDonald, the same people giving out about him all the time and MMA being 'not a sport' etc would be praising him from the hilltops for bringing this new, exciting sport to such prominence in Ireland, and I think deep down that even the dogs on the street know that to be honest.

He said he has a problem with boxing here also, merely because certain low lifes are involved in it... but sure that's like having an issue with horse racing just because some criminals invested in a couple of horses. Makes about as much sense.. ie: none.
    That's pretty disgraceful, boxing keeps a tonne of young lads in dodgy areas/situations out of trouble, around the country. Hopefully MMA continues to grow in that sense too, because I find boxing pretty boring.

Would honestly love to see how the traveler lads could do in the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's pretty disgraceful, boxing keeps a tonne of young lads in dodgy areas/situations out of trouble, around the country. Hopefully MMA continues to grow in that sense too, because I find boxing pretty boring.

Would honestly love to see how the traveler lads could do in the octagon.

Google Gypsy Jiu-Jitsu John Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Aldo should fight Holloway for that interim belt......break the habit of a lifetime and fight at least twice in 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Did Buffer announce him as undisputed featherweight champion on Saturday night? If so, what was the point of them naming Aldo-Frankie an interim title fight? Not that it needs further mockery, but just shows how much of a joke interim titles can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Aldo should fight Holloway for that interim belt......break the habit of a lifetime and fight at least twice in 1 year

This nonsense needs to die.

People should never defend an interim belt, it completely defeats the point of the damned thing.

Aldo is the only valid competition at 145. Conor needs to crap or get off the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Personally I don't see McGregor moving up or moving down, so I think he'll defend the 155, and he won't fight Khabib next, so it'll either be Diaz or Ferguson, with the other one fighting Khabib in an eliminator. And perhaps it's more likely he'll fight Diaz and let Khabib fight Ferguson, but as I said, I'd prefer it was the other way around - and certainly Ferguson deserves the next shot more than Diaz (not that "deserve" means as much as it should)

I dont think McGregor or anyone who cares for him will really want to see him fight Diaz again. It was always a terrible match up for him.

If its at 155, then its better for him, but still a gruelling, dangerous fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Regarding Paul Williams, this is the guy who invented the phrase "Crumlin-Drimnagh feud" to describe Brian Rattigan and Freddie Thompson's gang war, which mainly centred around Dublin 8 rather than 12. To anyone with any knowledge of or involvement in law enforcement he's regarded as a serial bullsh!tter. I wouldn't bother paying much attention to him.

Where has he made anti martial arts comments? Is this a recent thing? Is he still beating the whole "can't walk down Cork Street without getting murdered at least seven times" drum?

Sorry I am an objector to the urban/rural division and feel it needs to resisted where possible. We are all Irish and the vast majority want Ireland and Irish people to be successful in every way.

McGregor has massive support all over Ireland and let's not forget 90% of Irish media is based in Dublin.

So it's a bit unfair to blame rural Ireland for the lack of fair and objective reporting on McGregors phenomenal career.

That's why I said for some - I wasn't blaming rural Ireland and don't get me wrong I know he has plenty of support around the country, but going on my own experience there seems to be more dislike for him from those from outside Dublin than inside.

Also because 90% of media is based in Dublin does not mean 90% of people in media are from Dublin. Not sure where Coleman is from, but Williams is from Leitrim and Quinlan from Tipp, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Shane Coleman, Paul Williams and Alan Quinlan on newstalk agree that McGregor is a swaggering thug. Quinlan saying he didn't show his opponent respect.

I'll just leave this here on the off-chance Quinlan is lurking. This is the first thing Conor did after taking the flag off John Kavanagh.

30us460.png

2w36l44.png

2z74h8y.png

And the first thing he said backstage to Megan Olivi.

https://twitter.com/GrabakaHitman/status/797884102057803776

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Powers have a market up on his next opponent:

Nate Diaz 11/10
    Woodley 6/4
    GSP and Nick Diaz 4/1
    Khabib 9/2
    Ferguson and Aldo 6/1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Paully D wrote: »

Nate Diaz 11/10
    Woodley 6/4
    GSP and Nick Diaz 4/1
    Khabib 9/2
    Ferguson and Aldo 6/1

The way you've written this, it looks like he might fight GSP and Nick at the same time, or Ferguson and Aldo :D

Now THAT would be some accomplishment if he won!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Paully D wrote: »

Nate Diaz 11/10
    Woodley 6/4
    GSP and Nick Diaz 4/1
    Khabib 9/2
    Ferguson and Aldo 6/1

I really don't want to see him against Woodley or any other top welterweight and don't see it happening either. )Which also counts out GSP and Nick Diaz)

In order of what I'd imagine the UFC's plans are is:

1) Nate Diaz
    2) Tony Ferguson
    3) Khabib

Nice moment John you should hunt down a proper photo of this.

10zs6t5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nice moment John you should hunt down a proper photo of this.

10zs6t5.png

Ah jesus will you come on like . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ferguson should fight Khabib with the winner getting a shot at Conor at LW. That should keep things ticking over while McGregor takes his well deserved leave.

Alternatively we could see Conor go after the WW belt and jesus what a ride that would be.

Either way, bring on 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd like to see Ferguson fight Khabib in a title eliminator.

Khabib is going to whine his way into a shot though but I just don't see how it's fair when a much more active Ferguson has beaten more relevant fighters in the last 2 years.

I'd like to see Conor defend against Aldo in the meantime but I don't expect he'd want to be cutting to 145 when Dee is close to having a baby. Too much risk making weight especially with a baby on the way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Has anyone posted the video yet of JohnSBG rapping along to Jump Around :)

What I would love to see, that will never ever ever happen.

McGregor v Aldo in Belfast this weekend.

Aldo keeps harping on about anytime anyplace. It will test that theory again.
    McGregor is probably still fresh from the weekend and would need to drop a few pounds.

I know this is totally unrealistic.

Another think you should all watch in the run up to the fight, look at Eddie in his approach to the ring and entering the ring, he is constantly glancing over at McGregor, there is a look of worry about him rather than confidence.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Has anyone posted the video yet of JohnSBG rapping along to Jump Around :)

What i absolutely love about that video is Cian Cowley laughing his head off in the same way you look at your boss at the Xmas Party when he's scuttered lol

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/797899730911162368

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement