Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Absolutely correct.

So according to Dana, if the champion doesn't bring the belt with him, the challenger wouldn't have a belt to collect if he won?
    What are you on about?

The challenger won last night. And collected the belt that that was on the line. Which is provided by the UFC.
    Last night they provided the 155 belt. The 145 belt wasn't anything to do with it.
    I think what people need to be aware of is that all the UFC belts are identical. There's no such thing as "my belt". For example, Eddie walked off with the "FW belt" at the Presser while Conor walked off with the "LW belt".

They are all just identical props. The UFC have bucket loads of them for promotional shoots etc.

To say that Conor should have walked out into the Octagon carrying his belt is ridiculous, it would have looked it too!
    The belts at the presser are often just promo props for when fighters don't bring theirs with them. But there is very much a "my belt".
    The one awarded after the fight is a real belt. Conor's FW belt is probably back in Ireland. Eddies LW belt is back in Philly. That's their own and they keep them. They were fighting for the new belt last night, that the UFC were putting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

rusty cole wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JHJfEVmA4

can someone please tell me wtf brian stan is saying here. he says conor isnt the fastest puncher and then says had about an inch advantage... is it him who has a busted eye rather than bisping, wtf is he smoking... CmG had 5" on em, how he fook does he not know that de spoon'og!!

Just on honest mistake on his part I'd imagine wrt the reach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Probably got mixed up with the height differences of an inch,

Notice Bisping alluded to the message Conor sent him on twitter saying ''You dont know what your talking about ill sleep him in a round''

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Gamebred wrote: »
    Did he not tell you about being in SBG?

When did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭robwen

Conor should be fav for sports personality of the year but I`d imagine the brothers from Cork will prob win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think thats quite right....

Dana White: "Believe me, I battled with this thing but there are, how can I say this? There are other circumstances involved in this that will be played out after the fight. It’s something completely out of left field but it’s Conor’s business, it’s not mine, and I’ll let Conor announce it when he’s ready to."

That was the genesis of all this retirement / extended break talk. Dana White implied here that whatever Conor was supposed to announce was the reason he caved in to the Alvarez fight he had so strongly opposed, which made a lot of people feel that it meant a time-sensitive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Probably got mixed up with the height differences of an inch,

Notice Bisping alluded to the message Conor sent him on twitter saying ''You dont know what your talking about ill sleep him in a round''

He mentioned it after the fight that conor had said that to him

IvoryTower wrote: »
    He mentioned it after the fight that conor had said that to him
    That's what he's talking about, "alluded to" = "He mentioned it"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

robwen wrote: »
    Conor should be fav for sports personality of the year but I`d imagine the brothers from Cork will prob win

agree there, joe duffy brigade will probably get on board and give it to the two boys. fair play to em it was a great achievement and theyre hilarious but call a spade a spade nearly winning the olympics doesnt really come close to the first two weight ufc world champion in history. is it a public vote or decided among media types?

• Advertisement

Yep bronze and silver medals in rowing mean nowt to the general public if were honest,

If hes not given a reception its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The difference between the approach of both corners was astonishing to listen to. Conors corner were calm and collected and seemed to be well-drilled in who should talk in certain positions. Eddies corner were screaming their heads off and often contradicting each other - even before Conor landed a meaningful punch.

Conors corner it's mostly Dillon talking when it went North-South on the mat, offering technical advice on stepping into the guard. John did most of the talking in the clinch exchanges and Roddy did most of the advice on the feet. That might all just be a coincidence but it felt to me like they had that planned out.

Eddies corner was a mess from the beginning. Mark Henry kept screaming "73! Eddie 73! 73!" right from the opening 10 seconds. After Eddie was dropped the second time, he kept screaming "MAC, MAC, MAC". When Conor dropped him the 3rd time and went into his guard, there was pure radio silence for the first 15 seconds. To me, that's super weird that nobody had any technical advice for him. Eventually someone screamed for him to use the cage to get back up. Mark Henry then went back to screaming "73! 73! 73!" and towards the end of the round screaming "226! 226!" while another guy is calling for "20".

The 2nd round is a pure mess. Mark Henry is screaming "22! 22!" and his other cornerman is screaming "44! 44!" At one point, one of his corner remarks "if (eddie) doesn't throw, Conor can't counter". Which, to me, is one of the weirder comments you can make in a FIGHT. Then more confusion. "Keep throwing the 20!" while Mark Henry is looking for 73 and another guy wants a 22.

I haven't figured out a) why they were speaking in CODE or b) what the codes mean. I'm guessing "73" means circle to Conors right away from his power hand, as Eddie kept circling into it. The rest, i've no idea.

If i was Eddie i'd take a long, hard look at this relatively new link-up with Mark Henry and who is in his corner because it was far from a well-oiled machine in there. I know speaking in code is done by some camps but it came across an incoherent mess with them all screaming for different numbers.

''@coach_kavanagh for a jiu jitsu coach who can’t even teach his student @thenotoriousmma how to tie his belt and just got subbed quick you have a lot to say. PS give the proceeds of your book to the striking coach he deserves it. #ShutUp #ItTakesaTeam #IrishEdmund#CherryPicker #NeverFightsWretlers #JumpingTheLine”

They slated Kavanagh in the past how its all come back to bite them is glorious, Conors team are too nice to rub it in one bit but its nice to stick it to them after the abuse in the media, JK said he doesnt care what they say about him on the mma hour but I'd say hes sitting smug now rightfully so.

''@coach_kavanagh for a jiu jitsu coach who can’t even teach his student @thenotoriousmma how to tie his belt and just got subbed quick you have a lot to say. PS give the proceeds of your book to the striking coach he deserves it. #ShutUp #ItTakesaTeam #IrishEdmund#CherryPicker #NeverFightsWretlers #JumpingTheLine”

They slated Kavanagh in the past how its all come back to bite them is glorious, Conors team are too nice to rub it in one bit but its nice to stick it to them after the abuse in the media, JK said he doesnt care what they say about him on the mma hour but I'd say hes sitting smug now rightfully so.

I'll bet you a Chocolate Xmas Advent Calendar that John takes great professional satisfaction in the victory but not an ounce of negativity or smugness towards Eddie or Mark. Everyone makes mistakes and i'm sure Mark Henry is getting a ton of abuse online right now. No way there's any satisfaction to be had in 'dancing on his grave' so to speak.

I'll bet you a Chocolate Xmas Advent Calendar that John takes great professional satisfaction in the victory but not an ounce of negativity or smugness towards Eddie or Mark. Everyone makes mistakes and i'm sure Mark Henry is getting a ton of abuse online right now. No way there's any satisfaction to be had in 'dancing on his grave' so to speak.

100%

I'm celebrating Conor's win, to go and abuse Mark or Eddie now would be scummy and not in the martial arts spirit but JK and the team have a lot to be smug about, ridiculed by a fellow coach like that then last night happens is pretty funny, there will be no Pizza for Henry today Humble Pie all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

100%

I'm celebrating Conor's win, to go and abuse Mark or Eddie now would be scummy and not in the martial arts spirit but JK and the team have a lot to be smug about, ridiculed by a fellow coach like that then last night happens is pretty funny, there will be no Pizza for Henry today Humble Pie all round.
    taking the higher ground or what ever it is called is a beautiful thing IMHO and it is to be admired. All that **** before the fight is to make sales and mental warfare

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    taking the higher ground or what ever it is called is a beautiful thing IMHO and it is to be admired. All that **** before the fight is to make sales and mental warfare

Yeah I'd forgive anything either fighter said in the promo's they cut they were the ones actually fighting in the cage at the end of it all, but it irks me when coaches begin slating another coach online questioning their credentials (I think Henry apologized since but still)

100%

The biggest thing i've learned this year in terms of SBG and Conor:

"Humble in Victory or Defeat"
    "Win or Learn"
    "Leave your ego at the door of the gym".

They're not just catchy phrases. So there'll be no smugness. Just pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ben36

The difference between the approach of both corners was astonishing to listen to. Conors corner were calm and collected and seemed to be well-drilled in who should talk in certain positions. Eddies corner were screaming their heads off and often contradicting each other - even before Conor landed a meaningful punch.

Conors corner it's mostly Dillon talking when it went North-South on the mat, offering technical advice on stepping into the guard. John did most of the talking in the clinch exchanges and Roddy did most of the advice on the feet. That might all just be a coincidence but it felt to me like they had that planned out.

Eddies corner was a mess from the beginning. Mark Henry kept screaming "73! Eddie 73! 73!" right from the opening 10 seconds. After Eddie was dropped the second time, he kept screaming "MAC, MAC, MAC". When Conor dropped him the 3rd time and went into his guard, there was pure radio silence for the first 15 seconds. To me, that's super weird that nobody had any technical advice for him. Eventually someone screamed for him to use the cage to get back up. Mark Henry then went back to screaming "73! 73! 73!" and towards the end of the round screaming "226! 226!" while another guy is calling for "20".

The 2nd round is a pure mess. Mark Henry is screaming "22! 22!" and his other cornerman is screaming "44! 44!" At one point, one of his corner remarks "if (eddie) doesn't throw, Conor can't counter". Which, to me, is one of the weirder comments you can make in a FIGHT. Then more confusion. "Keep throwing the 20!" while Mark Henry is looking for 73 and another guy wants a 22.

I haven't figured out a) why they were speaking in CODE or b) what the codes mean. I'm guessing "73" means circle to Conors right away from his power hand, as Eddie kept circling into it. The rest, i've no idea.

If i was Eddie i'd take a long, hard look at this relatively new link-up with Mark Henry and who is in his corner because it was far from a well-oiled machine in there. I know speaking in code is done by some camps but it came across an incoherent mess with them all screaming for different numbers.

Sounds like my Chinese takeaway on a Saturday night.Is this code used a lot by coaches as would it not be confusing for the fighter as longer as the fight goes on and they've had a few slaps in the head they wouldn't be able to compute what each number represents?

• Advertisement

On the win or learn quote,

I think the loss to Nate has awoken a new monster (albeit it a more efficient one) there was hardly a shot wasted last night, compare it to 202 its night and day no loading up no flashy kicks, I suppose he can be thankful to Nate for exposing these holes.

Start of round 2 Eddie shoots a takedown Conor laughs at it hits him with an elbow on the exit and you can just hear Kavanagh saying ''No'' :D

The difference in the approach between the 2 corners was chalk and cheese. Owen Roddy sounded like he was teaching a 5 year old in a kids jiujitsu class on a sunday morning lol. Kept his advice so simple and tone of voice chilled.

Whereas, Mark Henry and the team were just going bananas from the first second of the fight.

It was basically like Top Cat in one corner and Inspector Dibble in the other corner.

Funny you brought this up. I had posted the transcript from reddit (complete with naming mistakes) in the event thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101658101&postcount=2127
    I think 22 was a single leg.
    I though 73 might have been circle, but a takedown would also make sense in some of the context it was used.
    Chain was chain wrestling, chain his takedowns together.
    No idea what mac was, striking related I feel

As for the why, It's pretty standard to a padman to assign numbers to strikes. ie 1 is a jab, 2 is a cross. The ole 1-2, etc
    So I'd imagine it's not uncommon to carry that over to fight instructions. I've heard corners using shorthand/code at live fights. Apparently Mark Henry does it with all his guys.
    I know speaking in code is done by some camps but it came across an incoherent mess with them all screaming for different numbers.

Tbh, I think a lot of that is down to the performance from Conor.
    Conor shut down his gameplan, so it made the corner advice futile. If Eddie has success from the start, his corner audio would suddenly seem more intelligent - despite being the same.
    If you listen to the audio from Frankie's fight, or Eddie's last fight I'd imagine it seems better.

Last night it wasn't working, but they continued to mash the buttons like a five year old playing Street Fighter. Hoping to get lucky and pull off a hadouken

ben36 wrote: »
    Sounds like my Chinese takeaway on a Saturday night.Is this code used a lot by coaches as would it not be confusing for the fighter as longer as the fight goes on and they've had a few slaps in the head they wouldn't be able to compute what each number represents?
    They would have drilled it so much during camp that it's the same as hearing single leg, high crotch, etc

Mellor wrote: »
    Funny you brought this up. I had posted the transcript from reddit (complete with naming mistakes) in the event thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101658101&postcount=2127

I think 22 was a single leg.
    I though 73 might have been circle, but a takedown would also make sense in some of the context it was used.
    Chain was chain wrestling, chain his takedowns together.
    No idea what mac was, striking related I feel

So I'd imagine it's not uncommon to carry that over to fight instructions. I've heard corners using shorthand/code at live fights. Apparently Mark Henry does it with all his guys.

Conor shut down his gameplan, so it made the corner advice futile. If Eddie has success from the start, his corner audio would suddenly seem more intelligent - despite being the same.
    If you listen to the audio from Frankie's fight, or Eddie's last fight I'd imagine it seems better.

Last night it wasn't working, but they continued to mash the buttons like a five year old playing Street Fighter. Hoping to get lucky and pull off a hadouken

They would have drilled it so much during camp that it's the same as hearing single leg, high crotch, etc

I wasn't in the Event Thread, i see it there now! Great minds think alike lol.

The reason i thought '73' meant circle is because they were immediately calling 73 when Eddie was circling into Conors left hand. And the more he kept circling into it, the more furious they started screaming 73.

It's easy to say this now because i know the result - BUT - It struck me that "Team McGregor" were more used to the big occasion than "Team Alvarez". Sergey was in Conors corner for Mendes, Dillon for Diaz and the other 2 have been in his corner for all the crazy big shows.

Whereas Eddie's team is relatively new and most of them haven't cornered a fighter in such a high pressure environment. I think they'd do a better job next time.

My logical brain is telling me if I'm after getting dropped 5 times in 6 minutes, the last thing i need is 3 of my cornermen shouting entirely different advice! Especially when it's being screamed in numbers lol.

Ultimately, they could have been speaking Double Dutch because Conor absolutely picked him apart. The replay of the first knock-down after 55 seconds in Round 1......Eddies eyes literally go into the back of his head. Amazed he got up from that. Actually there was 6 Knockdowns in 8 minutes, he's one tough S.O.B.

7am and I'm discussing Mark Henrys secret code-book and corner skills. Where did it all go wrong lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Deedsie wrote: »
    It was obviously going to happen but can no one in Irish media give the man a bit of credit without having a dig at him?

Shane Coleman, Paul Williams and Alan Quinlan on newstalk agree that McGregor is a swaggering thug. Quinlan saying he didn't show his opponent respect.

The same Alan Quinlan who couldn't go on a Lions tour because he tried to gouge the eye out of Leo Cullen's head.

that new line up on Newstalk is a bunch of insipid, limp handshake, beige coloured twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Uninformed cretins. Paul Williams is a real piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

D.Q wrote: »
    Uninformed cretins. Paul Williams is a real piece of work.

A little off topic- but on his first week he was in there calling his coworkers by their surname. Coleman, Wall etc.

the next week is stopped. Must of been told to give over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Assuming he reaches agreeement with the new owners re financial terms, does anyone think UFC 209 in Brooklyn (Feb 11) could be a runner for Conor's next fight?

Might be a shade early?

I'd like to see him up against Ferguson next, with Khabib v Diaz on the undercard as a title eliminator, then the winners face off - perhaps in MSG again next Autumn. I think with the baby coming in the early summer, we'll see McGregor just twice in 2017 (assuing they sort out the finances)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He could fight tomorrow provided his foot and right hand aren't still injured. February would be doable but I don't see it happening.

Nate Diaz isn't fighting anyone on an under card. He won't fight again unless it's for a belt or against Conor for a trilogy fight. He doesn't need to.

The same goes for Nick, either he gets a super fight or he fights for a belt or he just won't bother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement