Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I just replaced every single bulb with hue in the last 6-8 months. Thank heck for black friday.

14 spots in the kitchen + 3 e27 + 1 strip
    8 spots in the living room + 1 strip + 1 pendant + 3 bloom ones
    6 spots in the bathrooms
    6 in the hallway
    12 (ikea) in the garden bollards
    5 e27 in the bedrooms
    and 3 external hue lights as well.
    All switches replaced with hue apart from 3 in the kitchen that are niko.
    2 motion sensors

and I think this pretty much sums it up.

P.S. If anyone is selling a bridge please pm me.

Where are all the sensors? 39?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Where are all the sensors? 39?

I think by sensors it means all accessories, like dimmers, motions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

All switches replaced with hue apart from 3 in the kitchen that are niko.

How are you finding the Niko switches? Worth the extra expense?

How are you finding the Niko switches? Worth the extra expense?

I am not sure if I would really recommend them. Their mounting mechanism is very flimsy, and it's a struggle to get 100% flush with the wall, even if you use their own double sided tape. The feeling of the switch is very plastic-y and kinda weird as well, but you get over it quickly. However, they do look nicer than the philips hue ones. If I could afford to change every switch in the house with them, I wouldn't really do it with the Niko ones, I would only keep them for areas that I want them to be looking bit nicer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

P.S. If anyone is selling a bridge please pm me.

Have one from a starter kit recently bought to get cheap coloured bulbs but don't need the hub - won't let me send a PM as you have too many messages saved?

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen any Hue compatible "golf bulb" leds? I 've checked Philips and they don't sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

Has anyone seen any Hue compatible "golf bulb" leds? I 've checked Philips and they don't sell them.

Are these any good for you?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748MY3S8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

Brian017 wrote: »

Thanks, I got one of them to try but they are bit bigger than the golf ball size, and they are protruding the pendant light by a few cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

Thanks, I got one of them to try but they are bit bigger than the golf ball size, and they are protruding the pendant light by a few cms.

innr do ball like bulbs too but has pretty much the same dimensions as the Phillips ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have a routine set up for the lights to come on and off at certain times and have turned the random times on

However what it seems to do is turn them on and they stay on. I thought that that randon times means that they would turn off and on as it says on the tin for 'random times'

anyone experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have a routine set up for the lights to come on and off at certain times and have turned the random times on

However what it seems to do is turn them on and they stay on. I thought that that randon times means that they would turn off and on as it says on the tin for 'random times'

anyone experience this?

Have you set an off time after the on time you set?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have you set an off time after the on time you set?

Have time to start and what days, Fade, Random times, Adjustment Amount, Where (2 rooms selected) and Turn Rooms off at

So I thought that between the Start time and turn rooms off at time that lights would come on at different / random intervals rather than just staying on between these times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just got my first 'replace battery' note in the app, re the landing sensor. Only noticed it because a software update was due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Great to see 'zones' added to the latest android app update

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

What is the best option for Hue down lights in a kitchen? We doing some renovation and the kitchen ceiling has to come down so I have a green field.

Do I go with Hue GU10’s or with the recessed Hue Phoenix? It’s a large room so will probably need 12 down lights.

Thanks.

GU10’s would be the best bet in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Definitely go with GU10s - those phoenix ones need a 12.5cm diameter cutout so if they were ever discontinued and needed to be replaced you'd have a lot of patching up to do. Besides which theyre very expensive. I've been using Ikea tradfri GU10s for over a year with my Hue hub. Much cheaper and colour temperature 2700k so lovely warm light. I went with these fittings (also available in brushed aluminium/swivelling) - very sleek and modern looking if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

Sorry butt in here lads, also thinking of swopping six downlighters in kitchen with colour hue GU10's did I read some where they are extra long??

Love the look of those white Sebson holders are they bulb holders only? with seperate electrics for bulb end needed
    thus allowing for longer depth Hue GU10's?

BobMc wrote: »
    Sorry butt in here lads, also thinking of swopping six downlighters in kitchen with colour hue GU10's did I read some where they are extra long??

Love the look of those white Sebson holders are they bulb holders only? with seperate electrics for bulb end needed

The GU10 colour bulbs are bigger,
    For a GU10 White & Colour, you want this type of fitting, where the connection to the terminals of the bulb are independent to the part that holds the bulb. You are then only governed by the ceiling cavity space. I've 10 of these style in my kitchen with GU10 White & Colour Ambiance (big) bulbs in them, and 4 on my landing with White Ambiance GU10 (regular size) bulbs in them (though I've 4 White & Colour bulbs arriving today to replace them).

32433_P
    41lmk4vZpqL.jpg
    4pack-ECOG-220V-halogen-spotlight-fitting-white-nickle-color-GU10-socket-light-frame-for-led-bulbs.jpg_640x640.jpg

If its only GU10 White Ambiance, which is more like a regular sized GU10 bulb, the below would work;

41Y5QcxngGL.jpg
    77701.jpg

I've 6 of this (enclosed or 'top hat' as I call them) style in my attic with White Ambiance bulbs in them.
    Here is a photo of a Hue Colour Ambiance, beside a White Ambiance, beside 2 regular LED GU10 bulbs,

As can be seen, the Hue Colour Ambiance is much larger than the other 3, the Hue White Ambiance is almost identical to a regular LED GU10

439441.jpeg
    439442.jpeg

holder for the larger GU10 colour here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105911276&postcount=1475

The Sebsons are open backed - just the ring and a GU10 bulb holder with bare wires. The wires are a bit skinny but I happened to have one of these so put some ferrules on them to give the connector block screws a better grip. Are you sure you'll actually use the colours when the novelty wears off? If not much cheaper to go the Ikea route.
    BobMc wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

Not decided on the colours or not yet, its a pine tongue and groove ceiling, thats getting painted white, so I want to remove the brass coloured holders and swop to white and do the bulbs at the same time, are the ikea GU10s a good option
    with the hue system, I'd need 6 for dining area and 4 for kitchen so be bit pricey for colours !

The ikea ones are grand but can be a bit trickery to pair although the version they're selling now are apparently easier - see posts above. I've been using them for more than a year with my hue bridge and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Anyone any experience of the Hue Aurelle panel lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I have a Philips Hue hub with Hue lights etc. set-up off it. Just switched electricity provider and got the hive starter kit with some lights etc. My question is which is the better hub & app to use going forward? Can I add Hive to the Philips interface or am I better going with the Hive Hub & switching my Philips over?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have a Philips Hue hub with Hue lights etc. set-up off it. Just switched electricity provider and got the hive starter kit with some lights etc. My question is which is the better hub & app to use going forward? Can I add Hive to the Philips interface or am I better going with the Hive Hub & switching my Philips over?

They won't mix.

I'd say just use them in different rooms. It isn't a big deal having two hubs and apps and they usually can be mixed with Google Home, etc.

Personally I'd rate the Philips Hue lighting system way over Hive for lighting.

EDIT: Scrap that, it seems you can have Hue lights work inside the Hive app, but you still need the Hue hub for those bulbs. So at least still some integration.

It might also be possible to connect the Hive lights to the Hue hub as they both use zigbee, but I couldn't find any info about that, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Has anyone used an aluminium profile for the Philips LED strip with the 1m extension? I am having hard time finding a wide one to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone know what commands work with alexa and hive, looking at skills noticed one that supposedly can turn on hot water, also if asked about temp it will give precise temperature in the house, wondering is there command to turn on heating.

as previous poster have all house wired with hue lights and alexa works fine with them, not mad using alexa on boiler, but would be handy to know what commands are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Out if the loop a bit here. Anyone installed the outdoor light strips? Have an idea to use them on the decking I'll be building but not sure whether to stick them on a lip above the fascia or under the hand rail.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Has anyone used an aluminium profile for the Philips LED strip with the 1m extension? I am having hard time finding a wide one to fit it.

Yeah, I got extra wide ones on eBay uk, think they were listed as being for the hue strips.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

WildWater wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the Hue Aurelle panel lights?

No, but I’ve but considering the 1.2m one as an under cabinet solution in utility room, the look to come down a bit too far off fittings though so am now thinking IKEA panels might work better as only really want white, interested to hear how you go if you try them.

Advertisement