Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just noticed the Philips Hue Outdoor range is available for pre order on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/stores/page/E33E3FDF-67A1-4DAD-9015-A882D1BE202D

it says the release date is June 27th, 2018.

Good to see the products in more detail, looking forward to getting some of these.

Actually a bit cheaper than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Philip Hue Lightstrip 2m with Base is €57.90 on lights.ie

Chepeast I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Veloce wrote: »
    Philip Hue Lightstrip 2m with Base is €57.90 on lights.ie

Chepeast I've seen it.

I got them for £38.50 just before Christmas from Amazon. They drop down in price every so often so worth keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

^ that's a great price.

Ive just impulsively bought one from lights.ie !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi all, has anyone installed the philips hue gu10s colour bulbs as recessed lights? Any issues with the size? Any fitting out there to handle the extra 2cm height of the colour gu10s?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone installed the philips hue gu10s colour bulbs as recessed lights? Any issues with the size? Any fitting out there to handle the extra 2cm height of the colour gu10s?

For a GU10 White & Colour, you want this type of fitting, where the connection to the terminals of the bulb are independent to the part that holds the bulb. You are then only governed by the ceiling cavity space. I've 10 of these style in my kitchen with GU10 White & Colour Ambiance (big) bulbs in them, and 4 on my landing with White Ambiance GU10 (regular size) bulbs in them (though I've 4 White & Colour bulbs arriving today to replace them).

32433_P
    41lmk4vZpqL.jpg
    4pack-ECOG-220V-halogen-spotlight-fitting-white-nickle-color-GU10-socket-light-frame-for-led-bulbs.jpg_640x640.jpg

If its only GU10 White Ambiance, which is more like a regular sized GU10 bulb, the below would work;

41Y5QcxngGL.jpg
    77701.jpg

I've 6 of this (enclosed or 'top hat' as I call them) style in my attic with White Ambiance bulbs in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Hi all,

Does anyone know where the philips hue desktop controls went? I used to be able to do it via meet hue etc but now its just account settings.

Caillte wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where the philips hue desktop controls went? I used to be able to do it via meet hue etc but now its just account settings.

I noticed that myself, they seem to have dropped the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Does each hue device extend the coverage of the wifi it connects to?
    I have just installed two garden lights. I tried Google Home to turn both on but it only turned the closest one on. The second is only a further 10-12 feet away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have just installed two garden lights. I tried Google Home to turn both on but it only turned the closest one on. The second is only a further 10-12 feet away.

It's mesh so every bulb you add extends the network. You have the option to change ZigBee channel in the app settings may work better on a different channel

• Advertisement

Each bulb extends the coverage of the zigbee network which is what the bulbs and hub use to communicate with each other.
    It works like a mesh network so the more bulbs in your system, the better/faster the connection will be between bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'll mess about with it and see if I can get it working. All other devices within the network work, even at greater distances.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'll mess about with it and see if I can get it working. All other devices within the network work, even at greater distances.

Sometimes it even just takes a bit of time for the bulbs to work out where they are in relation to the hub and each other..

When I installed 6 GU10’s in my attic with a dimmer switch, they wouldn’t work all together or would react differently when a scene was called up (some of the 6 would change to the scene I asked for, others may or may not follow after a few seconds), but after a few hours/days, they all seemed to work themselves out and know where they are in the system, and all work perfectly in sync with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

IOS Hue App 3.0 has arrived

eusap wrote: »
    IOS Hue App 3.0 has arrived

Got it yesterday, no major new additions, just a much easier user interface.

Big one for me will be the desktop versions of the Entertainment update.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Got it yesterday, no major new additions, just a much easier user interface.

Big one for me will be the desktop versions of the Entertainment update.

Being able to match the colour on multiple bulbs on the colour prism is a huge improvement

eusap wrote: »
    Being able to match the colour on multiple bulbs on the colour prism is a huge improvement

Yes, and why I kept (and still have & use) the version 1 app. They should have never dropped that feature on version 2.

So nothing new, just joining up a great feature on 1.0 into the 2.0 app with a new UI (3.0)

Hue Sync now available for PC & Mac

Sync movies or music with your lights.

Looks great so far but doesn’t work with Netflix (as Netflix won’t play if it knows the screen is being mirrored)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

anyone else notice that the hue motion sensors now show temperature on the apple home app. Anyone any ideas of what this can be used for.. i.e what the temp can be connected to to be used as a control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

anyone else notice that the hue motion sensors now show temperature on the apple home app. Anyone any ideas of what this can be used for.. i.e what the temp can be connected to to be used as a control

They have a hue lab that triggers the lights on temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Picked up the starter pack yesterday. Some weight in the bulbs. Very impressive tech though.
    Plan to add more bulbs to it month by month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Blazer wrote: »
    Picked up the starter pack yesterday. Some weight in the bulbs. Very impressive tech though.
    Plan to add more bulbs to it month by month

If you want to save yourself a bit of money Ikea tradfri bulbs work fine with the hue hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I was planning on going with alexa/hue in main areas of house.....but having used them over the last few months with just one lamp i cant rely on it......alexa has to be called twice or 3 times and then hue loses connection a lot. Have searched and searched for solution and wifi seems stable so i give up!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

368100 wrote: »
    I was planning on going with alexa/hue in main areas of house.....but having used them over the last few months with just one lamp i cant rely on it......alexa has to be called twice or 3 times and then hue loses connection a lot. Have searched and searched for solution and wifi seems stable so i give up!

Is the Hue bulb far from the bridge?

Hue bulbs use wireless mesh technology, this means each bulb acts as a repeater for the others, passing along the commands. Adding bulbs between the furthest bulb and the bridge can often sort out this problem if it is the cause of your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Has anyone come across a light switch cover in a bricks and mortar shop?

They are on Amazon alright, but was hoping to just pick a few up if i could somewhere.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

bk wrote: »
    Is the Hue bulb far from the bridge?

Hue bulbs use wireless mesh technology, this means each bulb acts as a repeater for the others, passing along the commands. Adding bulbs between the furthest bulb and the bridge can often sort out this problem if it is the cause of your problem.

It is i guess....maybe 20 metres or so. It worked fine up to a while ago...big part of the problem is the echo too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

368100 wrote: »
    It is i guess....maybe 20 metres or so. It worked fine up to a while ago...big part of the problem is the echo too

Might be just on the edge of the distance it supports. Some extra wireless interference might be knocking it off.

Remember wireless is not constant, the environment is constantly changing and that can effect performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Just thought Id post in here, will create a seperate thread on it later, but I have just managed to get hue working using a standard momentary switch via twisted pair cabling. I am doing this via openhab, where I have a push button interface that has cat5 wiring from my wall switched, and it is this I am using to trigger an action in openhap to activate hue light.

Now the interesting thing about this, is the flexibility it offers, because I can now use lots of differnent wired interfaces (door contacts, PIR's push buttons, wall switches etc) to trigger actions such as scenes, turning on/off multiple different types of lights (Hue, smart things, fibaro, etc). The options are limitless almost.

This is partly why when asked about wiring new builds or re-wiring, I always suggest wiring cat5 to your wall switches, the options are limitless doing it this way.

That is fantastic wexfordman2, though it is totally possible to do the same with SmartThings and Z-Wave switches. It isn't just limited to wired.

Here is an article about doing it with Homey/Vera + Hue + Fibaro modules, though the concept is the same for SmartThings:

https://www.vesternet.com/resources/using-z-wave-and-philips-hue-together/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well the missus has now approved my purchase after cribbing about it for a waste of money.
    Our young fella is autistic and has been waking around 3-5am every night his week. Got the brainwave to
    Put one in his room with it set to blue to indicate blue zone (autism has a number of zones so children can express themselves more easily. Ie blue is tired etc while red is angry and green is happy)
    When he woke up this mornin I just turned it lightly on and he went back to sleep straight away. Woke again at 5 , did the same and he slept in till 8.40am.
    Will see how it goes during the week but I’ve now been given approval to expand :)

Advertisement