Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone else have issues connecting remotely? I’m in Wexford and house is in Dublin, won’t allow me to connect??

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Something interesting just popped up on the Philips Hue US site

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-hdmi-sync-box-/046677555221

A proper way to turn non Ambilight TVs into Ambilight-esque TVs.
    Seems a bit pricey ($230) and reviews are light at the moment but if it works with no lag and with protected content like Netflix it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

DrZeuss wrote: »

Can you follow up with codec and find out if this fix has been pushed to Sandbox please.

Seems a bit pricey ($230) and reviews are light at the moment but if it works with no lag and with protected content like Netflix it could be good.

I bought a 50" 7383 ambilight tv for €550. This device when it makes it here will be half the price of that TV. So not a great deal to me and still requires additional light purchases to work.

One thing that annoys me is the ambilight function and extension to other hue lights is controlled by the TV rather than the hue app and any lights you sync with the TV don't work in other routines set on the app\hub until you unlink via the TV again.

I wonder does this device have the same limitations as the TV functionality or does it show up in the hue app (entertainment areas) and can be configured that way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New bluetooth bulbs and plugs are in Argos UK but cant see here yet

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2910875

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

New bluetooth bulbs and plugs are in Argos UK but cant see here yet

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2910875

Hmmmm... now I’ve 6 TP link to sell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

OU812 wrote: »
    Hmmmm... now I’ve 6 TP link to sell

I like how they don't seem as bulky as the TP link plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I bought a 50" 7383 ambilight tv for €550. This device when it makes it here will be half the price of that TV. So not a great deal to me and still requires additional light purchases to work.

One thing that annoys me is the ambilight function and extension to other hue lights is controlled by the TV rather than the hue app and any lights you sync with the TV don't work in other routines set on the app\hub until you unlink via the TV again.

I wonder does this device have the same limitations as the TV functionality or does it show up in the hue app (entertainment areas) and can be configured that way.

Yeah, I think getting the Ambilight TV is the best choice rather than a hodge-podge of lamps/bulbs and hdmi hubs.

I personally use an app (Hue Stream) on my nVidia Shield which works to an extent, I feel there is a delay and the app seems to get confused sometimes when there is more than 1 dominant colour in the selection.
    It too suffers from the entertainment area lights being stuck in a sync and not allowing it to be controlled unless the sync with the app is stopped.

Also another downside is if you use the apps on your TV rather than an external source, thereby making the hdmi sync box useless.

It would need to be about a quarter of its current price to make it worth a look. Also I read somewhere (I think Reddit) that the patent on Hue was due to expire so that could open up some cheaper 3rd party goodies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Two of my Hue lights have started to flicker constantly. Doesn’t seem to happen as much on colour but they are mostly on white. Is this what happens when hue bulbs start to die ? I’ve had them a few years now. Or is there something to be done? I’ve tried the obvious , tightening them etc. Swapped them around. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Two of my Hue lights have started to flicker constantly. Doesn’t seem to happen as much on colour but they are mostly on white. Is this what happens when hue bulbs start to die ? I’ve had them a few years now. Or is there something to be done? I’ve tried the obvious , tightening them etc. Swapped them around. Thanks

Did you reset it?

https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/reset-philips-hue-1565

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ill give that a go thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

DrZeuss wrote: »

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-hdmi-sync-box-/046677555221

I think I read somewhere that unlike the tv led strip, these lights only can light one colour at a time, making is considerably less effective. The image and Avengers trailer below seem to confirm this. I think they choose the Avengers trailer, because it has no instance of multicolored screens.

I actually think its nuts they released something with such poor functionality. Jut my 2 cents

philips-hue-play-hdmi-sync-box_surround-lighting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Has anyone got spare litcessory itensfor Philips hue that they are willing to send? Specifically looking for cut end to cut end adapter and 6 pin to cut end.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

$230 is just for the sync box.
    Another $110 for the play lights and that also assumes you already have a hue bridge.
    So if you are starting from scratch, it'll be almost the price of your tv.
    Funk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Hi - can someone with more experience of Hue than me explain: Why do some Hue bulbs simply not respond to the physical light switch.

This is making a mockery of so called smart lights. For example, if i creep downstairs in the middle of the night, i want to just switch on a light without roaring at the google home unit (because half the time it ignores me), and it roaring back at me because someone has turned the volume up. I have two lights in particular, my landing light being one of them. Turn it on and off 50 times and it simply wont come on. Daughters bedroom is the same. One is on a routine, the other is not. Only responds to voice or google home app (or hue app) changes.

Thoughts or ideas appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Go to settings - > power on behaviour. Failing that splash out even more money on a motion sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

mx5ire wrote: »
    Hi - can someone with more experience of Hue than me explain: Why do some Hue bulbs simply not respond to the physical light switch.

This is making a mockery of so called smart lights. For example, if i creep downstairs in the middle of the night, i want to just switch on a light without roaring at the google home unit (because half the time it ignores me), and it roaring back at me because someone has turned the volume up. I have two lights in particular, my landing light being one of them. Turn it on and off 50 times and it simply wont come on. Daughters bedroom is the same. One is on a routine, the other is not. Only responds to voice or google home app (or hue app) changes.

Thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Go into settings then Power-on Behavior on the Hue app and check what the setting is there for the relevant bulb.
    I have most of the lights except bedrooms set to the default full brightness.

I would suggest using motion sensors though as an alternative, I try to avoid controlling the lights manually at all (either by switch, app or google voice commands).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would say the reason is under updates they fixed the issue if say there were a power cut and then all the lights would end up coming on.

Switch off and wait a second as if you do it too quick that's most likely why.

I would say the reason is under updates they fixed the issue if say there were a power cut and then all the lights would end up coming on.

Switch off and wait a second as if you do it too quick that's most likely why.

Ok - so i have done a bit of non scientific testing - and essentially all of my hue bulbs (basically ceiling mounted ones not floor or table lamps on timers) behave the same way, but some are much quicker than others to come on via the switch, so i haven't noticed the issue before. The two main irritating ones can take 4 or 5 seconds on/off to react, which frankly is far from Smart Lighting.

By contrast, i have 21 Ikea GU10's that respond INSTANTLY to light switch movements. So if that Hue delay behaviour is by design, i must say it is pretty poor from an end user experience. Standing in the dark counting to 5 is hardly going to endear this system to my already skeptical other half....

So how does the power off behaviour change this delay, if at all? I have them all set to return to the last used settings, colour, brightness etc, i really dont want to have to start adjusting that too by creating custom scenes etc, Hue default just returns them to bright white etc.

And as for the sensor, thats just a nuisance without investing some significant time in creating custom Scenes. I had one in the kitchen, but it doesnt obey the power on behaviour settings, i.e. colour and brightness. You initially have to assign a default scene to a light group, which of course overrides my current custom settings. I'm open to correction here, but there just seems to be a lot of mucking around to get it to behave as the lights do when simply using "Hey Google" commands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are you talking about old fashioned light switches, and not Hue Dimmer Switches?

If so, the whole idea of smart lighting is you don't use the traditional type switch, and the lights are in an 'always energised' state. The moment you switch off the power to s smart bulb, its no longer a smart bulb.

Sensors are brilliant, and work just fine for me, no setting up fancy scenes or anything.

before 10pm, I walk into the kitchen and if it's dark enough, the lights come on bright. After 10pm and I go into the kitchen, they come on on teh 'Nightlight' scene. that's it, and been like that for 3 years. I don't ever touch the traditional light switches, and only sometimes use the Hue Dimmer switch.

The sensors are the best thing ever....

I've in kitchen, landing, front door and bathroom....

Now I just need more money to get more...

• Advertisement

Are you talking about old fashioned light switches, and not Hue Dimmer Switches?

If so, the whole idea of smart lighting is you don't use the traditional type switch, and the lights are in an 'always energised' state. The moment you switch off the power to s smart bulb, its no longer a smart bulb.

Sensors are brilliant, and work just fine for me, no setting up fancy scenes or anything.

before 10pm, I walk into the kitchen and if it's dark enough, the lights come on bright. After 10pm and I go into the kitchen, they come on on teh 'Nightlight' scene. that's it, and been like that for 3 years. I don't ever touch the traditional light switches, and only sometimes use the Hue Dimmer switch.

Yes, i mean old dumb switches. There are plenty of times that you just need a real quick on/off facility without screaming at google.

I would love to get the sensors up and running, but my experience to date was messy. For example, How do you handle the light going off again after you leave a room - 1 minute, 3 minutes etc. Wife hates leaving light on unnecessarily when she leaves a room and no one else is there, unless its a timer based light which is a security driven "we are at home" thing etc.

Basically my point about the use previous setting thing is - when i walk into the kitchen i just ask "lights on" and they come on, at a specific white colour and 65% brightness. How do i get that to happen with a sensor without creating a scene - there isnt one that matches that - but i have to assign some scene when i configure the sensor. Or am i missing something ?

Maybe unless you have sensors everywhere, then its only half smart lighting, as you still need to tell google to do stuff. And if a google home isnt within earshot - then how do you turn on a light without resorting to a switch ? Example, I dont have a google home in my daughters room, and if she wakes in the night and i need to put the light on, i have to roar back into my room. Or just use the switch....A sensor is no good as i dont want a light to come on during the night if i go in to check on her when she is asleep.

I guess there isnt a one size fits all for each situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Get a dimmer switch then so and stop cutting the power to the bulbs. I have lights with both dimmer switch, sensor and Google home in the same room

Exactly replace or fit the Philips switch and use those.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, the solution to this problem is just cover your old light switches and put Hue Dimmer switches in instead. You can get some nice covers for the old fashioned light switch that allows you to put the hue dimmer over the old switch (while still leaving it accessible for emergency use).

When it comes to most smart devices, you never want to power them off. It is basically incompatible with the idea of a smart device. They are supposed to be always powered on.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I absolutely get what all of you are saying, but just to be a little more specific - its not the powering them off thats the issue in terms of breaking the whole 'smart' piece - i fully get the whole smart piece. Let me explain a little more....

Landing light goes off on a routine @7.30am, but its a dark morning so small daughter comes out onto landing and wants to switch on light, hits switch and nothing happens, so goes on/off a few times and gives up. Stupid lights etc. The issue here is the 2-5 second delay (depends on the bulb) that is required when you cycle the switch OFF from its always ON position (we dont normally ever touch it) to back on again. The light can then easily be turned off by voice once within range of a google home, and the normal routine / timer takes over again.

This is a HUE peculiarity - Ikea Gu10's in hall, kitchen and second sitting room do not have this darn delay. They are instant. A quick off/on cycle to activate the light should work, without having to put in sensors and hue switches, or standing there like a numpty counting to 5. I want the colours, otherwise i would replace the Hue's with Ikea bulbs if they were coloured too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mine are all instant, no issues

If your coverage from the hue hub is patchy add more bulbs. They work on mesh so adding bulbs extends and improves the ZigBee wireless coverage. You can also change the channel in the app if you think there's a problem.

Sensor on landing then no need for kid to try switching on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

I’ve got 20+ spotlights in kitchen/dining area. I want to switch to LED, in particular smart LED. I have normal Hue bulbs around the house for main lights and im happy with them. I’m not too bothered about getting colored ones for the spotlights.

Just a few questions:
    • are the Hue GU10 white ambiance dimmable the best ones to get?
    • will I need to get new fixtures put in or would they fit in existing fixtures? eg https://www.downlights.co.uk/integral-evofire-gu10-fire-rated-downlights-new.html
    • are there any other cheaper alternatives that work with Hue Hub?

Any other advice welcome as it doesn’t seem a cheap decision to make!

I’ve got 20+ spotlights in kitchen/dining area. I want to switch to LED, in particular smart LED. I have normal Hue bulbs around the house for main lights and im happy with them. I’m not too bothered about getting colored ones for the spotlights.

Just a few questions:
    • are the Hue GU10 white ambiance dimmable the best ones to get?
    • will I need to get new fixtures put in or would they fit in existing fixtures? eg https://www.downlights.co.uk/integral-evofire-gu10-fire-rated-downlights-new.html
    • are there any other cheaper alternatives that work with Hue Hub?

Any other advice welcome as it doesn’t seem a cheap decision to make!

IKEA do GU10.

There are newer GU10 out by hue that are smaller and should fit but I believe they are more expensive.

If you aren't going to use colour then the white will do the job.

There is chatter about loss of lux over time as in fading. Not sure as I haven't fitted any yet so can't say myself.

Have you GU10 fitted already or are they on transformers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

IKEA do GU10.

There are newer GU10 out by hue that are smaller and should fit but I believe they are more expensive.

If you aren't going to use colour then the white will do the job.

There is chatter about loss of lux over time as in fading. Not sure as I haven't fitted any yet so can't say myself.

Have you GU10 fitted already or are they on transformers?

Halogen 50w 12v in there at the moment. Think they are also called GU5.3. Would I need transformers put in?

Advertisement